SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. waspodov

waspodov n00bie

Greetings From Indonesia.. Finally my sentry is arrived.. Now while waiting my customs sleeving done.. Here my sentry setup..

Gr8Scott, Talyrius, RosaJ and 4 others like this.
  2. Morzy

Morzy Limp Gawd

If you're asking about the current shipment, this one in particular is taking the longest for them to process. Be patient.

ZombiPL likes this.
  3. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

Sentry manufacturing process - weekly update

Finally paperwork for the biggest(!) and also the last, 7th shipment is finished and the packages are ready for transport. In the next few days we will send you your tracking numbers (when they will be activated).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you know, we are getting to the end of this campaign. Despite this, we are still asking you for your feedback. We are gathering all of your thoughts about possible improvements and we will use them to improve our design in the future. Thanks :)

Gr8Scott, nadeboy, Ej24 and 6 others like this.
  4. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Can't believe it's the final shipment. I hope you guys take a vacation after finishing the campaign order fulfillment. You definitely deserve it.

5. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

I'm not sure if this will be possible, because preparing next shipments wasn't only thing we were/are doing in the campaign :)

Ej24 likes this.
  6. Mendeln

Mendeln n00bie

About the possible hardware improvements.... it is nice to have an upgrade option for the USB front panel cable from USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 gen2

7. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Would be nice if we didn't have to make like 15 000 of pcs to order such thing for our case...

I too would like to drop the horrible 20 pin plug for something new, but it's still out of range for us.

8. Alzayani

Alzayani n00bie

Good timing for me, hopefully I will get my tracking number soon and by the time the case arrive (I know it can take weeks) Coffee Lake will be available , and I am considering doing a build with i7 8700 (non-k version) and a GTX 1080.

I still want to buy 27" 5K monitor, which is for some reason discontinued from every OEM and very hard to buy.

9. waspodov

waspodov n00bie

height_small.jpg I wanna change my TridentZ to Dominator Platinum, does it fit in sentry?

10. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Nope, it won't fit. As far as I remember, total max height for the ram sticks when you take out the HDD support bracket is ~51 mm. We've ben asked specifically about those sticks few times in the campaign comments.

11. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Maybe remove the top heat spreader bar? That might get you 3mm lower.

12. JUNEK9

JUNEK9 n00bie

How long is shipping to the UK likely to take and when will the final shipment be in transit? Thanks.

13. ZombiPL

ZombiPL Limp Gawd

Shipping inside EU usually takes less than 7 working days. We are currently in the process of sending, and it takes some time. Most of the packages were already sent, but some are still waiting, so please be patient. We want to finish before the weekend, so we hope that everyone will receive their tracking numbers before Saturday.

AgShield and NTRX_ like this.
  14. zeroth

zeroth n00bie

#617 reporting in.
    20 days of transit to Brazil, then another 35 at the customs... :rolleyes:
    It arrived in perfect conditions, GJ guys.
    Oh, and as a fellow mechanical engineer, it is refreshing to finally buy a computer case made with sensible screws.

jisaku_taro, Morzy, AgShield and 5 others like this.
  15. 4884

4884 n00bie

The hex screws are much nicer than the common philips head.
    I think many of us here have experienced the nightmare of extracting a stripped philips head at some point.

Morzy and AgShield like this.
  16. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

I received mine and is a delight to build into. Coming from a Node 202, the space is really well thought out for this case. Airflow is much more efficient than the Node 202.

I suprisingly got better thermals with my LP53 + Noctua Fan combo for my 4770K (75C at prime95 / ~70C during heavy gaming). I used to get 80-90 on my Node 202.

Same thing goes for my R9 390x, i was hitting ~92 on my Node 202, and hovering 85 on heavy gaming on the sentry.

I ordered the cooljag in advance in-case the LP53 did not suffice, but did not fit with the height of my RAM. I guess, it will be reserved for my DAN case v2.

Debating on getting filters and degrade the cooling performance that I'm enjoying right now.

Ej24, octagoncow, Talyrius and 2 others like this.
  17. AgShield

AgShield n00bie

Order no. 1199 tracking number received! \(^0^)/

Just wanted to share my joy. Thanks a lot to the Zaber bros.!

RosaJ, NTRX_, SaperPL and 2 others like this.
  18. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

I stuffed the excess cable lenght at the back of the PSU and under the HDDs.

19. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

I received the cooler today. Waiting for the fan and tim. I can confirm that CoolJag Falcon fits. Can't wait to test it. Hopefully by next Monday I will bet testing it.

20. waspodov

waspodov n00bie

Ok I stick to my GSkill.. Just remove the red trim and boom.. All silver and black.. Lol..

Next step is..
    20170915_102024.jpg
    Sleeving one by one, inch by inch

octagoncow, RosaJ and Ej24 like this.
  21. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

LP53 is a great choice. It works well in Sentry with my 4790k. After helping a friend build his first pc in a Node 202, I agree it is way more difficult and not a nice experience compared to Sentry. If you're thinking of fan filters, the Silverstone 120mm and 140mm magnetic filters fit perfectly inside sentry. I use them on both cpu and gpu side.

22. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

You read my mind. I have already ordered a pair of 120mm magnetic filters from silverstone.

Hopefully this will help minimize the dust build-up, less tinkering on the case.

23. JUNEK9

JUNEK9 n00bie

May I ask if you are using it in a horizontal or vertical position and what position did you have the node 202 in? I'm interested because I'm also going from a node 202 to the sentry, though the hardware I'm using is very different.

24. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

I have in vertical position.

25. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Quick question everyone and pardon my ignorance, 2nd time building. If I want to fit a larger HDD, say 3TB or 4 TB of 15mm thickness and not 9.5 mm(max that fits in the mounts), should I get a blower style card instead of open air style and fit the larger HDD underneath the blower style card? Won't the heat compromise the HDD overtime or it will be fine because it's a blower style and it's bringing air in and blowing it the opposite way? Thanks in advance!

26. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

15 mm drive won't fit under the blower, you'd have to get a short card.

As for the drive temps when near the blower, we actually observed lower temps there in comparison to main rail, few degrees lower. The blower is sucking air next to the drive thus moving the air and cooling the drive itself. That may differ from card to card though - we've tested this on GTX970.

27. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Thanks for the info! Are there any shorter GTX 1070 that you recommend? I know there is a list provided but I don't know that much about cards.. Thanks for your help!

28. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Nvm found one compatible, will go with GTX 1070 AERO ITX 8G OC!
    This is my list if anyone has any suggestions.. thanks!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/onepieceownz/saved/2BtgLk

29. 4884

4884 n00bie

I think the noctua cooler is intel compatible only? Notice the "L9i". There is an AMD compatible one L9a.
    You can't put a 3.5" harddisk in the sentry. Make sure you picked the right one.
    And the 700W psu is seriously overkill. Even a 450W will be adequate. If you insist on the 700W one, it's SFX-L so building and cable managing will be even harder.

onepieceownz likes this.
  30. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

onepieceownz
    L9i is compatible with the adapter kit noctua will send you for free. But yeah, l9a is compatible right out of the box.

Definitely no 3.5in drive if you plan on having a gpu at all. As far as I know the only way to use a 3.5in drive is if you go full NAS and omit the gpu totally. You can get 2TB 2.5in hybrid SSHD nowadays and I think maybe even 2.5TB is available in 9mm now. So big 3.5in drives are kind of pointless.

Also not sure if that 1070 fits. It's short in overall length but probably too tall to fit in sentry. Check MSI's website for proper dimensions and refer to the official Sentry website for compatibility. You might be better off using a normal size 1070 (unless you already own this itx version).

Also yeah don't get an sfx-l psu. They're so damn big. 4884 is right, a 450w would be totally sufficient. Max load with a 65W ryzen 1700 and a gtx 1070 is just over 200w. Maybe another 30w for drives, motherboard stuff, cpu fan. You won't even hit 260w total draw. The corsair sfx psu's are some of the best available, even compared to full size atx psu's. They're rated for gold but often achieve platinum level of stability, and efficiency. Get the 600w corsair sf-600 if you want a beast that's overkill and appropriately sized. Cable management will be soo much easier. Also if you get an sfx-l you can't use the top mounted 2.5in drive mount so keep that in mind too. I strongly suggest a sfx psu over sfx-l.

Overall though it'll be a beast of a system, that's for sure.

Talyrius, onepieceownz and RosaJ like this.
  31. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

I definitely second the Corsair SF600 for the overkill route. After having it since launch, it only spins up during benches and is dead silent during my daily PUBG rounds.

I also second the l9a for direct compatibility, you can check out TekEverything YouTube channel on his video with it on Ryzen.

Link to vid:

NTRX_ and onepieceownz like this.
  32. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Hey guys,
    Thank you for all your replies you are amazing and really helpful! I decided to go with the Hitachi travelstar 1 TB for now and then will get a bigger drive when money falls out of the sky XD.
    I changed my noctua l9i to l9a thanks for that info.
    Ej24 I checked the compatibility list and this aero Msi card is compatible. I could get a larger card but I'd prefer the extra space for a future upgrade with a much bigger HDD. I also changed to sfx 450w corsair, thanks for the tip.

Here is my final list:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/onepieceownz/saved/2BtgLk
    Thanks everyone for all your help really appreciate it!
    PS: for some reason pcpartpicker says my noctua isn't compatible with my board and Ryzen.. Strange

33. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

You still need to get the AM4 mounting bracket for the I9a, probably why it is listed as not compatible.

onepieceownz likes this.
  34. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Whether this card fits depends on from where did they measure the 144 mm of height - and that's just for whether the card itself will fit. Note the fact that it's PEG connector isn't recessed much so you'll have just few mm to squeeze in the PEG plug that's like 12 mm long with cables you need to bend somewhere.

How did you figure out it's supposed to be compatible btw?

With 1TB Hitachi/HGST 2.5" drive you don't need a short card - it can be mounted in one of the slots in the middle of the case as well as underneath of the blower since it's 9.5 mmm thick.

Make sure if precisely those ram sticks you are going to buy are on the QVL list of the board. It's important for Ryzen if you want XMP running properly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  35. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Thanks for your reply!
    I figured out it's compatible because it's in your list of cards ☺️ so are you saying that it's going to be challenging but still possible to have this video card?

And yes I'm aware this Hitachi HDD can be mounted in one of the slots but I want the short card to leave that space open to fit a thicker HDD of 3 or 4 TB later down the road.

36. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

No, it's not. MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC and MSI GTX 1070 AERO ITX OC are two different models:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-AERO-8G-OC.html

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-AERO-ITX-8G-OC.html

The one in our list is obviously the standard length blower card. The ITX model was released long after the list was compiled.

The problem is that MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac went up with card height while making "Mini" and "ITX" models short to fit the VRM's and cooling for 1070 and 1080.

37. onepieceownz

onepieceownz n00bie

Ohhh ic my mistake and thank you for clarifying! So the one I have is not in your list but it's still compatible?
    And thanks for the heads up regarding the ram. I checked my board QVL and changed to a ram that is compatible with XMP :)

38. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

No, it's not. The PEG plug requires ~18 mm of space to fit freely the plug itself is 11~12 mm and remaining 6~7 mm is to bend those cables coming out of the plug.

[​IMG]

That MSI card is supposed to be 144 mm tall, so assuming this is measured from the beginning of the PCI bracket, there's 1 mm of space left for the card, so it will physically fit, BUT:

https://**************/dgOSbQ/20170424_122803.jpg

The PEG power connector is only slightly recessed so it means IF the PCB reaches max height of the card, you'll have ~3 mm left where you should have 18 mmm. We don't have the card physically to measure it, but from all photos it looks like the PCB may be only slightly recessed against the maximum height made by the cooler plastic shroud.

I know this can be confusing, but we can't do anything about the fact that the manufacturers don't keep any standard in measuring their GPU's. That's why there's the image above to figure out whether the card will fit or not.

XFX cards are the perfect example of how an oversized GPU should recess the PEG connector:

[​IMG]

They've taken those ~2 cm into account and increased the height of the card while retaining original position of the PEG connector. Note that it doesn't mean every XFX card will fit though, check the dimensions of the card first.

onepieceownz and Talyrius like this.
  39. 4884

4884 n00bie

No I don't think the card will fit.
    I'm using a 112mm tall standard size card. And you see the power cables are already in tight fit against the top of the case.
    IMG_20170916_183109640.jpg
    The msi card has extra ~20mm in height, which will probably makes it impossible to plug in the cables.

If you choose a standard height card you can already have 4 drives in your case. (one m2, two 2.5" at the mounting bracket and one under the card)
    Are you sure that is still not enough?
    There is a single slot GTX1070 from galax, GALAX GeForce® GTX 1070 KATANA. Maybe you can put more 2.5" under the card.
    I do not recommend it though. Putting more drives in the sentry means more sata cables and power cables. It's not easy to route these cables!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    onepieceownz, Ej24 and ZombiPL like this.
  40. Alzayani

Alzayani n00bie

In my indiegogo page I got
    But I didn't get any tracking number yet.
    (Selected Perk: Long Run: SENTRY Black , Order ID: 1300)