SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

I have dust filters everywhere in my Sentry and haven't noticed any difference other than a complete lack of dust inside :cool:. Even my psu has a dust filter. I used the Silverstone magnetic filters on the inside of the vents. Iirc, two 140s on each side completely covers the vents. I just take a vacuum hose with a soft attachment to it from the outside once every other month or so.

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

did you ever actually measure, with like a meter? cause there is no way that a filter doesn't cause airflow loss. you shouldn't ever vacuum a pc, the static that builds up on the nozzle can jump a good distance and fry shit. I've seen it..

3. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

Isn’t ESD basically a non-issue now a days?

Never had an issue and can confirm vacuums do a darn good job of cleaning my computer many years ago. (Haven’t had dust build up in last two places I’ve lived over 3 years)

4. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Haven't measured airflow empirically but if there's a difference in temps it's maybe 1-2C. So negligible.

As for ESD, I live along the Gulf of Mexico. It's one of the most humid places you can imagine. Theres no such thing a static electricity here lol. Honestly though with the case closed I'd imagine any static would just jump to the case itself, which is grounded..Of course, anything you do to your pc is at your own risk.

5. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

I agree with your conclusion about CPUs with 95W TDPs. I moved my i7-7700K build into a Sentry last month with everything stock, no overclock and no delid. The cooler was an LP53 with Noctua NF-A9x14, but it still ran really hot; gaming would often raise CPU temperatures to 80-90 degrees C playing games like Batman: Arkham Knight, Titanfall 2, DOOM, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I've since switched to a Ryzen 5 1600 with Noctua NH-L9a-AM4, and even with a mild overclock of 3.7 GHz at 1.25 V, temperatures in those same games are closer to 60-65 C with CPU wattage peaking around 60-68 W. Obviously benchmarks will push it closer to 80 degrees C and 90-100 W, but thermals are still better than the 7700K and its gaming and Dolphin performance is just as good at 1080p/60Hz.

It's a shame about the dust filters. I'd prefer to have them on in my dusty environment, but unfortunately my idle CPU temps rise from 33-35 C to about 40-44 C, and the GPU goes from about 32 C to 35 C. Gaming is out of the question; I take the filters off immediately whenever I launch a game or render a video, and only put them back on when I shut down my PC for the night.

Wish I could do that on my Sentry. As I mentioned above my temperatures rise too much with filters on for my liking, even without a CPU overclock; I only ever use them when I shut down. Maybe it's because of your custom job as opposed to the pre-made DEMCiflex filters I'm using externally, which cover the entire intake?

One thing that has been working for me is your idea for using weather stripping as fan shrouds. The kind I bought was 3/8 in x 5/16 in x 10 ft (9.5 mm x 7.9 mm x 3.05 mm), so I had to stack two layers together to extend from the case to the CPU and GPU fans. It definitely seems to work, I'm noticing the CPU fan at idle is now around 1790-1840 RPM instead of 1870-1920 RPM. GPU fan is at the same RPM, but temps will now dip to 29-30 C at idle.

Combined with the switch to a Founders Edition cooler and a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU rated at 65 W TDP, my temperatures are much lower under load than my previous build with the 7700K and open air EVGA ACX 3.0 cooler. The noise with the Ryzen build is a little louder at idle, but it's not because of the GPU; the Founders Edition cooler is surprisingly quiet on my desk, and not at all like the jet engine I was expecting based on peoples' comments online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    brentsg, RosaJ and Ej24 like this.
  6. niclas90

niclas90 n00bie

I think most of the FE-cooler hate is based on a history of shitty stock coolers. The vapor chamber FE-cooler that comes with the 1070 Ti/1080/1080 Ti is pretty nice. It runs silent, and easily maintains good boost-clocks in most environments.

brentsg, AgShield and Ej24 like this.
  7. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

Anyone know if the motherboard side hdd trays can take up to 15mm tall 2.5" HDDs?

8. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

I believe ~9mm is ideal. Im not sure sentry can even accommodate 12 let alone 15mm drives. The Sentry website lists 9.5mm drives in the configurator. I think Seagate has a 2TB 2.5in drive that's 9mm. (double check that though, it might be 12mm).

9. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Seagate actually makes a 2.5 2TB drive that is 7mm, Seagate 2TB Baracuda. I have one and it is a great compact storage drive.

Talyrius, niclas90, SaperPL and 2 others like this.
  10. J_bravo14

J_bravo14 n00bie

Thanks, I already have a 2TB HDD drive and fits on the MB bay hdd tray.

Wanted to expand it to 4tb 2.5" which unfortunately is 15mm thick

11. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

12. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

niclas90 Finally got to put my machine through some gaming, and the results are indeed better than I expected!

Per HWMonitor:
    ~40 minutes of PUBG @ Ultra settings --> 79*C max package temperature
    ~30 minutes of CSGO @ whatever max is FPS uncapped --> INSANE 92*C or something
    Capped at 200FPS: 75*C max package temp

Looks like the cooler does indeed make a difference, even with delidding in place!

Note also that I've got an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC so LP53 doesn't fit with the fins parallel to RAM, so I think if cooler was placed optimally things could be even cooler!

niclas90 likes this.
  13. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

The LP53 doesn't fit parallel to RAM? That's surprising, the ASRock Z270 ITX motherboard layout looks very similar to the Z170 Fatal1ty I had and I was able to get the fins parallel. I oriented the heat pipes towards the RAM slots and it was a pretty tight fit but it worked. Here's a picture of my old Intel setup:

[​IMG]

SoSquidTaste likes this.
  14. niclas90

niclas90 n00bie

Sounds like there is indeed a small difference. I've never hit 92C+ though. I guess it's just a random spike, and probably not anything to be worried about. You could try testing with Prime v26.6 to be sure.

SoSquidTaste likes this.
  15. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

Cool man, thanks for the pics of your previous setup! I played around with the orientation a bunch but it looks like the spacing is indeed different on the z270 layout, and I don't think it has to do with my RAM (Vengeance LPX) being chunky or anything:

IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG

IIRC I saw one other poster talking about this specific mobo having the same issue with LP53. EDIT: Found it! Cheers again jisaku_taro for an amazing build log!

I'm curious if anyone who has the z270 Fatal1ty could chime in to see if the CPU/RAM layout allows for fins parallel to RAM on that board instead. That would be a huge benefit that I'd be willing to try and sell/replace this mobo TBH if anyone can confirm.

I'm really new to stress testing, so I appreciate the specific recommendation on Prime v26.6! If I'm trying to undervolt/overclock CPU and probably even my GPU (1080 FE), would you recommend using the same?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  16. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

I found this build log, which I actually referred to on the SFF Network forums when I was asking around about the LP53. Turns out that motherboard was indeed the Z270 Fatal1ty ITX and not the regular non-gaming Z270 ITX, which may explain why I was able to use the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM whereas you are not able. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-118#post-1043127724

17. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

Ha! I 100% found your SFFF post that linked back to that post during my rabbithole searching :D

I appreciate your thoughts and recall on this question very much!

Looks like I've some mobo replacement to ponder now

18. niclas90

niclas90 n00bie

For testing the stability of an undervolted chip Prime v26.6 will work just fine. I usually just use the stresstest tool included in Intel XTU (used for undervolting the CPU) though. I've managed to undervolt my 7700k by -0,060 V. I was hoping for a bit more, but the system starts to crash with an offset of -0,065 V.
    I didn't get any significant amount of performance/cooling out of undervolting my 1080 Ti, but please report back if you gain anything (as i'd like to know how then ;) )

SoSquidTaste likes this.
  19. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

Fantastic, I appreciate you sharing your experience with CPU-side stuff. I'll hopefully get to tinker a bit over the next couple of weekends. I hope I'll be able to share something back with you re: GPU-side tweaks :D

20. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

My pleasure, hope it works out for you. Personally I don't know if the temperature difference is significant enough to justify the cost and hassle of switching motherboards, but I can also see how every degree counts for an i7-7700K in a Zaber Sentry.

Ryzen's rectangular cooler mounting and the brackets on the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 meant the only possible orientation was perpendicular to the DRAM slots. Speaking of which, I'm considering switching to G.Skill Flare X RAM for better Ryzen compatibility, but wondering if anyone has experience using RAM that isn't "low profile" like my Corsair Vengeance LPX. I was able to find one post earlier in the thread with the same RAM modules. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-126#post-1043195386

The Hynix Corsair LPX is leftover from my Intel build, XMP 3000 MHz at 15-17-17-35. Doesn't boot at 2933 MHz, boots at 3066 MHz, but takes a little while to POST even when I loosen the timings to 16-18-18-36. Occasionally it just won't POST and I have to power cycle a few times to get it to boot. Also get the occasional black screen during use, so I have a feeling my overclock isn't exactly stable.

SoSquidTaste likes this.
  21. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

I remember following along past discussion with anxiety regarding RAM heights. I found this from SaperPL himself about max height without HDD bracket being ~51mm. G.Skill purports that the Flare X set is 40mm tall so I think you're in good shape-- assuming there are not tricky overhang/clearance issues with the edges of your cooler and all that.

Talyrius and ZeroPucks like this.
  22. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

Nice, thank you for finding that, appreciate the help!

23. andy66

andy66 n00bie

Finally received my Sentry and it's awesome!

My parts list

- Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / 0.975V
    - 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Black 1866Mhz
    - AsRock Z87E-ITX
    - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition iCX
    - Noctua NH L9i
    - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
    - Silverstone SFX-L 500W

I had to mount the SSD underneath the GPU because of the temps, this way it runs 14 degrees cooler under full system load.

The overall temperatures under full load are not that bad for such a small case.

Horizontal
    CPU: 76°C
    GPU: 84°C
    SSD: 48°C

Vertical
    CPU: 76°C
    GPU: 76°C
    SSD: 45°C

WP_20180217_10_27_38_Rich.jpg

A big thanks to Dr. Zaber for this beautiful case!!

24. Justify

Justify n00bie

Good afternoon,

I'm planning to build a PC using this case (bought a white one at the launch) and I have a few questions/looking for advice.

What cooler is the best to use for both amd/intel? I currently plan to buy either a 8700k or a 1700x.

What type of gpu cooler is best? I would assume blower but I'm all ears to what one performs at peak.

What power supply should I buy? I'm currently looking at the SF600.

Thanks in advance :)

25. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

I've only looked at Intel, and can tell you that the 8700K runs hot. Apparently even hotter than the 7700K that I've got in my build. A popular mod here and with other SFF cases was the take the excellent quality all-copper heatsink from a Cooltek / Thermolab LP53 and attach a Noctua NF-A9x14 fan (the same one that comes with the NH-L9i in case you've one of those around) onto it with wire, zip ties, etc. I have that on mine and it seems to do okay cooling the CPU, but bear in mind that I've delidded my 7700K. Delidding is kind of a big step, but it really helps with the latest Intel K CPUs.

I've got a GTX 1080 Founders and the fan is kinda louder than I expected it to be, but far from a dealbreaker for me. There are posts deep in the thread that seem to show comparable performance with either blowers or open-air coolers so long as your Sentry is vertical. I *think* horizontal still favored blowers. Not 100% certain since I had my GPU before Sentry and wasn't going to change anyhow :p

SF600 is big enough to make cable management a problem. Personally, I think that SF450 will suffice unless you're planning to do major overclocks. And if you're planning to do major overclocks, I'm not sure if Sentry is equipped to really deal with the extra heat anyhow but then again this is Hardforum so maybe you're up to the challenge :]

26. 7x1x

7x1x [H]Lite

The SF450 & SF600 are the same size, 100mm x 63mm x 125mm.

Talyrius and SoSquidTaste like this.
  27. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Yeah I have both the 450 and 600, one in each of my Sentry pc's. Same size, same cables as stiff as concrete. That's the real limitation is the cables.

SoSquidTaste likes this.
  28. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

...Oh my gosh wow. How I somehow thought they were physically different in size is beyond me. Thanks for correcting my misinformation...!

Verified though that the stick cables at least on my SF450 we're damn near unusable in terms of cable management. I ended up getting custom ones.

29. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I'm just about to start my build. Might I ask which custom cables you bought?

30. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Speaking for myself, I got cablemod cables. They are expensive. Also for a few of their cables like sata power, iirc, the shortest option is still quite long for Sentry. Overall I'm glad I did it.

There are other smaller, single man operations that do custom cables and sleeving. Usually better and cheaper, but it depends how quickly you want them as they can take longer.

31. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

I ended up going with custom cabling from an [H] member who I believe was active in this thread earlier. He is based in the US which was attractive to me over Cablemods. I think I was his last cabling customer though, since his site now has a little pop-up about being on hiatus: http://avaentum.com/

In case it helps with maybe Cablemods or some other service, here are the lengths I selected that worked out pretty nicely:

Motherboard 24pin: 10in
    CPU Power: 16in
    GPU Power: 12in

EDIT: Installed on an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  32. Ej24

Ej24 Limp Gawd

Ive heard of him. Good stuff. I wasn't sure if he was still making cables. I checked his website, I think that popup is an ad? I clicked it and my browser got hijacked.

33. AJSSno1

AJSSno1 n00bie

Which mobo do you have? I need lenghts for asus z270i

34. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

Yeah, it's formatted kinda oddly. That link goes to a new site that is something else he's working on, but IIRC it's entirely out of the PC hardware space. I just copied the text in case anyone else is curious:

This is just a note to let you know that I unfortunately have to take a little break from cable sleeving for now so as such I won't be accepting the bulk of any new orders. I will likely still do S4 Mini cable sets I'm not totally sure when I'll be back online and ready for orders again but I'm hoping that it to be within a month or two. Sorry for any inconvienience :[

Feel free to check out what I'm up to right now tho!

[Link to his new project]

His cabling was fantastic and he is a super friendly dude. If he decides to get back in the cabling game I'd strongly encourage working with Avaentum if you're Stateside. Beats the heck out of Cablemod shipping from across the pond.

D'oh! Forgot to include that important bit of info. I'm running an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC. My lengths have a decent amount of wiggle room so hopefully it will work for most other layouts. IIRC, ASRock and ASUS Z270 ITX boards have a pretty similar general layout. Gigabyte is the only other one I researched and it had a lot different layout for some of the power connectors.

35. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00bie

ZeroPucks and other builders out there who might also be interested in how LP53 cooler fits on ASRock ITX motherboards, MrNateTheGreat is awesome and replied to a PM with very interesting follow-up on his build log photos that showed the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM on his ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty mobo.

Turns out the parallel-to-RAM fin orientation did not provide anything more than negligible improvements in cooling versus perpendicular. In fact, doing so was stressing other components on top of being only of middling improvement. Excepted from our conversation (with his approval, and emphasis mine):

MrNateTheGreat likes this.
  36. ZeroPucks

ZeroPucks n00bie

I figured as much. I think I read a similar experience in this thread or the one on SFF Network saying the difference was negligible. As it is the NH-L9a-AM4 in my current build only fits perpendicular to the RAM slots for Ryzen motherboards, and my temperatures are perfectly fine under load. With that anecdotal evidence in mind, I think you can rest easy with your current motherboard.

I just wanted to add to the conversation. I couldn't justify the high cost of custom length cables, so I personally chose to buy Corsair's own individually sleeved cables for $39.99 USD. They are still the same length as the ribbon cables, but are much easier to work with in a tight case like the Sentry. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRWN5M2

37. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks, I grabbed those cables from Amazon. Not the ultimate fix but I'm not waiting forever to put this together and the included Corsair cables are horrible.

ZeroPucks likes this.
  38. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

So I reused my GSkill 3866 sticks in an Asrock Z370 ITX Fatality board. It works, but it is an extremely tight fit.. uncomfortably so.

Can anyone recommend something that is slimmer?

39. niclas90

niclas90 n00bie

You can always take off the heatsink.

pendragon1 likes this.
  40. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie