SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

How did you end up mounting the dynatron?

Awhile back I added it, sorry for the rather large images...

Creating a new post as the edit got me frustrated.

There is a tl;dr at the bottom.

Apologies for not getting back the edit, had a rough draft but when I went to post nothing showed up and got frustrated. (Probably a problem with using mobile and desktop at the same time)

Anyways the whole process took roughly 2 hrs total. (Prep, de-solder old caps, clean the holes, insert new caps, check for fit, solder new caps, clean, then finally install the new cooler) This process could have been done quicker; however, when I was removing the old caps, the factory solder was very tough to remove and when I went to pull them out the "stem" broke off and blocked the hole creating a pretty flat surface which was hard to remove. The install of the CPU cooler was super easy, it's not final yet as I'd like to get shorter screws in the future and may look into actually bending them in a slight S form, but not anytime soon. With the screws tightened the cooler is one with the mobo, while holding the cooler I gave the mobo a couple jiggles and received no rattle or looseness.

Pictured below shows the diagonal screws along with the new capacitors. I can't get a good photo of the gap between the base of the cooler and the top of the 6mm capacitor, but it's extremely close, not touching but maybe less than a mm.

DzsbtTl.jpg

Here are the before temps of running prime95 with fan at 100%. I had to stop the test after only 3 minutes when the CPU reached 98C as it was getting too hot for comfort. Used the Cryorig C7 CPU cooler.

WdMT8XD.png

Here are the after temps of running prime95 with the same fan at 100%. I stopped the test after 8 minutes as it stayed at 64C for a solid two mins. Used the Dynatron R15 CPU cooler.

M0c6m43.jpg

Too long, didn't read: Replaced mobo caps to fit a new cooler bringing temps from 98C to 64C.

Link to imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/a/lSE8L

Oh I thought you had done something new never mind
Yeah I came up with a couple ideas to make it look more "pretty" but ultimately never did anything. On the cheap I was going to use the extra nuts and epoxy them together and paint it black for something like this:

BoltHead
Bolt
Bolt
Bolt
NutNutNut
----------Bolt
----------Bolt
----------Bolt
----------Final Nut

To make an S shape, I thought it was pretty decent as I came up with it at a bar on a napkin in between drinks.

Plugged everything back in and started her up again.... black screen whyyyyy. Computer power cycled 3 times so I knew something was going wrong inside, turns out I didn't seat my CPU 4-PIN cable all they way and now tried again this time keeping the panel off. Black screen again, but at least no power cycle one problem fixed! I was going through a couple thoughts in my head but ended up thinking it was the riser cable, gave it a thorough look over and everything was seated properly, then i noticed my CPU 4-Pin cable along with the CPU fan cables are in "contact" with it. Moved the riser cable away and BAMMO we are in business. So folks don't forget to not have power cables interfering with the riser cables signal.

I think it wasn't a problem with the riser itself but with plugging every connector in. Riser is shielded (shielding is very thick) and those cables you mentioned are for 12V DC. If it would be a problem with riser, then no one probably would start their Sentry, because next to PCI-E slot you have a thick AC (!) power cable for powering your whole PC. I predict you didn't plug something correctly. In my opinion those 12V DC cables next to pci-e riser didn't have anything to do with your pc starting problem. Despite this it's great you solved your problem this or other way.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Finished my round one of my Sentry build! Round two will be a whole other beast of an upgrade on the AM4 Ryzen platform. tldr at bottom...

First up is the preporation and layout outlook:
zJslBBv.jpg

After laying every thing out I was definitely thinking wow, I know this case is supposed to be really small with little to no room to spare inside, but I have tons of space. Little did I know that I had to fit 4 different corsair cables, 2 sata cables, and one usb 3.0 front I/O cable. Jeez it was a battle

Side note, thanks for having metallic screws for my magnetic tool!
B0n9zTs.jpg

I couldn't fit my second hard drive above the motherboard and also didn't want one above the GPU so I took off the 2.5'' encloure of my 500GB Samsung Evo 850 and wrapped it up in electrical tape. Would have liked to use gaffers tape, but didn't have any on hand.
l25k0zg.jpg

After about an 30 minutes of putting the case together and at least an hour for cable management/routing cables for both HDDs I have a finished build!
ydbVtCX.jpg

Ok time to fire this bad boy up! Put the panel on with only 3 screws just in case and started plugging the power and HDMI cables. Gave it a quick look of awe and pushed that sweet button! ... Bruhhhh I totally forgot the switch on the PSU is set to off... I felt like a dumb for a hot sec and after a quick run around I ended up using the supplied owl wrench to flip the switch, genius!!
a8AHyHi.jpg

Plugged everything back in and started her up again.... black screen whyyyyy. Computer power cycled 3 times so I knew something was going wrong inside, turns out I didn't seat my CPU 4-PIN cable all they way and now tried again this time keeping the panel off. Black screen again, but at least no power cycle one problem fixed! I was going through a couple thoughts in my head but ended up thinking it was the riser cable, gave it a thorough look over and everything was seated properly, then i noticed my CPU 4-Pin cable along with the CPU fan cables are in "contact" with it. Moved the riser cable away and BAMMO we are in business. So folks don't forget to not have power cables interfering with the riser cables signal.

End result:
Y5tGObc.jpg

oYM3b6M.jpg

Thank you again Dr Zaber team, you two are freaking amazing and I can't thank you all enough, this case is beautiful!

Tldr: 10/10 would definitely buy again

Awesome job RosaJ! This makes me even more excited for my White Sentry! I will be excited to see the epic Zaber Dynatron AM4 solution finished as that seems to be an incredible route for CPU temps.

Also, what keyboard is that? I love the white that matches the Sentry and I was hoping to get something like the WhiteFox, but not pay WhiteFox pricing!

Last edited:
Reactions: RosaJ
like this
I never posted an image of my Sentry on my desk, so I wanted to quick do that. It's really great how well it fits. I need to eventually figure out some cable management though; all of those USB cables for my Rift make the back of my Sentry a mess. I'll try to get in some VR benchmarks later today and update this post with them as well.
w8Ci7mVl.jpg

Edit: Alright, here's the VR results:
CPU: 6700K delided running at stock (for now)
CPU Cooler: LP53 with a Cryorig C7 fan zip tied to it
GPU: EVGA 1070SC with +80 on the core clock and +550 on the memory clock
A quick word of warning: since my face is covered with only a small nose gap to look through, I can easily miss information that's on the screen. The GPU results are pretty accurate since Afterburner has a small graph log so I can look back to see what previous temperatures were, but I'm not using a program for the CPU to do that. All that being said, I don't think anything probably changed dramatically while I was playing.
Games played:
Robo Recall, Super Hot VR
CPU:
% Usage: 20%-30%
Minimum temp: 60C
Maximum temp: 67C
Fan speed: ~16% (827rpm) (This one is hard to really determine since I can't really see my screen while playing, so I just tried to take glances at it randomly)

GPU:
% Usage: Normally between 40%-80% with the occasional spike to 100%
Minimum temp: 70C
Maximum temp: 77C
Fan Speed: 40%-48% 1352 - 1429 RPM

Last edited:
Awesome job RosaJ! This makes me even more excited for my White Sentry! I will be excited to see the epic Zaber Dynatron AM4 solution finished as that seems to be an incredible route for CPU temps.

Also, what keyboard is that? I love the white that matches the Sentry and I was hoping to get something like the WhiteFox, but not pay WhiteFox pricing!

I love my keyboard, it's 68 keys so no numpad or functions row. I also added o-rings to every key because I like mechanical, but not have it so load my mic picks it up or have it heard in another room. Links to both:
Keyboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E57PW7Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
O-Rings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U7DJ0TW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had them for about a year, since 19June2016, and have zero issues. Gaming with the function keys as secondary on the number row was a curve, but I don't have "problems" anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey ZombiPL and SaperPL I just had a odd thought... If/when you go retail, do you think more companies would want to use your case in events like Computex? Kind of like Intel did? (I don't remember when Intel used it, but you get the idea).

That would be cool.

I love my keyboard, it's 68 keys so no numpad or functions row. I also added o-rings to every key because I like mechanical, but not have it so load my mic picks it up or have it heard in another room. Links to both:
Keyboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E57PW7Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
O-Rings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U7DJ0TW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had them for about a year, since 19June2016, and have zero issues. Gaming with the function keys as secondary on the number row was a curve, but I don't have "problems" anymore.

Hmm, doesn't look like they have a full keyboard option, that's a shame. I'm not looking to give up my Leopold yet, but if I ever do, I could never go tenkeyless. I use the number pad SO often when gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey ZombiPL and SaperPL I just had a odd thought... If/when you go retail, do you think more companies would want to use your case in events like Computex? Kind of like Intel did? (I don't remember when Intel used it, but you get the idea).

That would be cool.

That will depend on the interest in our case. We've got in touch with few vendors about such co-promotion before and during the campaign, but most of them are waiting until we get famous or something, so they (the representatives we got in touch with) can proceed with handling such co-promotion concept within the company. Cooperation with big corporations isn't easy.

Situation with Intel was a bit simpler for us - guys at Polish Intel branch were making media booth with kaby lake promotional stand at Intel Extreme Masters event happening in Poland, and they just asked us if we could lend the cases for showcase in that booth.

Getting our cases shown in the booths at big events is not going to be easy, because the only way to get there not with our own booth, would be to cooperate with chip or board vendors and these are big corporations where nothing is easy to arrange.

That will depend on the interest in our case. We've got in touch with few vendors about such co-promotion before and during the campaign, but most of them are waiting until we get famous or something, so they (the representatives we got in touch with) can proceed with handling such co-promotion concept within the company. Cooperation with big corporations isn't easy.

Situation with Intel was a bit simpler for us - guys at Polish Intel branch were making media booth with kaby lake promotional stand at Intel Extreme Masters event happening in Poland, and they just asked us if we could lend the cases for showcase in that booth.

Getting our cases shown in the booths at big events is not going to be easy, because the only way to get there not with our own booth, would be to cooperate with chip or board vendors and these are big corporations where nothing is easy to arrange.
What, you're saying Intel Poland isn't their most massive branch? ;)

I have a short question, that might have been answered already but I couldn't find the answer again. I'm sorry upfront.
Anyway, did anyone messure what PSU cable lenght you need for the sentry if you have a Corsair SF PSU and a mainboard like the Asus z170i pro gaming. From the pictures I would guess about 20cm for the 24pin and 30cm for the 8pin EPS. I don't need the PCI cables since I'll use a low profile adapter.
I planned to mesure myself, but I'm currently in Taiwan on vacation and got a coupon for moddiy that would be expired by the time I'm home.

I have a short question, that might have been answered already but I couldn't find the answer again. I'm sorry upfront.
Anyway, did anyone messure what PSU cable lenght you need for the sentry if you have a Corsair SF PSU and a mainboard like the Asus z170i pro gaming. From the pictures I would guess about 20cm for the 24pin and 30cm for the 8pin EPS. I don't need the PCI cables since I'll use a low profile adapter.
I planned to mesure myself, but I'm currently in Taiwan on vacation and got a coupon for moddiy that would be expired by the time I'm home.
I'll just leave this here for you...

Edit: I can't find it at the moment, but apparently if you want cables that actually, you know, look better than a rat's nest, you have to specify to these guys that you want the 24-pin connectors to be opposed - that is, the retention clips should be facing opposite sides.

I'll just leave this here for you...

Edit: I can't find it at the moment, but apparently if you want cables that actually, you know, look better than a rat's nest, you have to specify to these guys that you want the 24-pin connectors to be opposed - that is, the retention clips should be facing opposite sides.

Thank you very much, that was the post I was searching for. I'll just go with the discussed lenght just to be sure. Once my vacation is over and I'm finished with the build, I'll give you guys some pics.

Posted couple weeks back after getting my case. But finally after getting the last few parts I wanted I was able to start my new build this weekend :cool:

For info, SaperPL & ZombiPL - my case arrived in perfect condition via ParcelForce delivery to the UK.

Build Spec:
Intel i7 7700 Kaby Lake
Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Gaming 5
EVGA 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Samsung 960EVO m2 500GB
Noctua NH-L9i
Hitachi HTS721010 1TB 2.5 drive
Silverstone SST-ST45SF v3 (450W)

My Build
Started and hit my first issue. I wanted to make the heatsink fan cable neatly go into the notch at the edge corner of the fan. But after a number of attempts and also discovering i caused a little nick in the cable i decided to leave it. (01 FanIssue)

So easy part done - board mounted in case. I then hit my 2nd issue which i did not expect at all. The PCIe extender simply would not fit into the motherboard slot. (03 - PCIe Problem).

When looking closely I felt the extra space between the edge of the contacts and the edge was much larger than the other part of the riser card. So carefully filed and used a stanley knife to grind off a small bit at a time and tried to re-fit it. (04 - PCIe Problem)

Finally got it fitted (05 - Fixed) so completed pretty quickly after that and have finished my new build. (06 - Complete)

Thank you to the Dr Zaber team, it's a fantastic little case and loving it so far. (07 - Desktop)

Attachments

• 01 FanIssue.jpg
    01 FanIssue.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 02 Mobo Installed.jpg
    02 Mobo Installed.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 03 - PCIe Problem.jpg
    03 - PCIe Problem.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 04 - PCIe Problem.jpg
    04 - PCIe Problem.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 05 - Fixed.jpg
    05 - Fixed.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 06 - Complete.jpg
    06 - Complete.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 07 - Desktop.jpg
    07 - Desktop.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

I see, that does make a lot of sense. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

I see that lot of people are choosing noctua for their cpu cooler. But from what I've read, and various reviews, silverstone AR05 and id-cooling is-40 v3 (even better and cheaper than silverstone) should be much better, and also cheaper. Am I missing something?

What, you're saying Intel Poland isn't their most massive branch? ;)

My point was, they just had a free spot and they asked us for our case. If we were to ask them to do such thing in other situation, we'd probably end with just exchange of courtesies and assurance that they'll see what they can do etc.

The biggest problem IMO here is that we can only get in touch with sales reps first and we have to get through them to marketing people. Sales reps usually don't feel such co-promotion value and there is little in their interest to get us in touch with their marketing teams, and there's nothing we can do about it.

To get around this we'd have to spend some time on the expo floors with our own booths, but that's really expensive and time consuming and if we were to do the booth then what's the point in asking bigger vendors for co-promotion in the first place :)

I see that lot of people are choosing noctua for their cpu cooler. But from what I've read, and various reviews, silverstone AR05 and id-cooling is-40 v3 (even better and cheaper than silverstone) should be much better, and also cheaper. Am I missing something?

I think that most people choose what we've tested and maybe think that noctua has a better fan than silverstone unit. If you think is-40 v3 is better, then try this one and let us know what you think and what your test results are.

The Noctua cooler is significantly quieter than the silverstone, and every review I've seen done in a small form factor case (unless I'm totally misremembering Dan's thread) shows the AR05 trailing by a few degrees for the same price.

As for the ID-Cooling is-40 v3, I don't know about that model in particular. However, it's cousin, the vapor-chamber equipped is-vc45, is a textbook example of why you should never listen to the spec sheets. It claimed to be able to cool up to 135w chips, but even the good examples struggled with 95w chips... And there were a LOT more bad examples than good; their manufacturing and quality control was terrible. I'd be interested to see if it's improved since then, and would love to see some tests of the is-40 v3, but personally I decided to go with the surefire option.

The Noctua cooler is significantly quieter than the silverstone, and every review I've seen done in a small form factor case (unless I'm totally misremembering Dan's thread) shows the AR05 trailing by a few degrees for the same price.

As for the ID-Cooling is-40 v3, I don't know about that model in particular. However, it's cousin, the vapor-chamber equipped is-vc45, is a textbook example of why you should never listen to the spec sheets. It claimed to be able to cool up to 135w chips, but even the good examples struggled with 95w chips... And there were a LOT more bad examples than good; their manufacturing and quality control was terrible. I'd be interested to see if it's improved since then, and would love to see some tests of the is-40 v3, but personally I decided to go with the surefire option.
So far based on what I have read I have to agree. In fact the ID-Cooling-40 v4 in the test done at SFF network showed that it perform about the same as the noctua while costing a lot more making the noctua more viable.

o3i1miihwyrqoywg2f7q.png

14th week of Sentry manufacturing process

Once again FAQ update since you guys keep flooding us with the questions :)

1) "My case wasn't delivered and it's June already..", "I have ordered 1st batch and i still didn't get my case" and such:
We are processing 150 cases for one shipment according to production scheme that is shown in campaign story. 1st batch is something different than 1st transport. We explained that 1st batch was connected with number of parts we can order from our subcontractors "in one order". When we will be processing your order you will get your tracking number. Please be patient.

2) "Tracking of my order stopped in Poland and hasn't been updated for few weeks"
Overseas orders were literally shipped by ship freight. It will take significant amount of time before the ship crosses the ocean and enter your country - around 6 weeks. When that happens your parcel tracking will be updated in your local post tracking system.

3) "The screws don't fit in the riser holes" / "The holes in the riser don't match the holes in the chassis"

The screws are not supposed to go through the holes in the riser!
- it's just a coincidence that our riser has them this close. The mounting system is made to fit any brand of riser in this layout (with pcb and ribbon connected in this orientation to the slot) by grabbing the riser by the plastic slot body and not by its pcb.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE READ THE ONLINE MANUAL which is an extended version of paper manual shipped with Sentry.

Now few words about current production. We've locked orders for 3rd transport, which will be sent this week. Cases are assembled and right now we are in the middle of packaging process.

eludxsvdlqnhkieq47ae.jpg

vodtlnzibzuqhpvwi0di.jpg

We also received white Sentry cases for 4th transport:

n4tc3elou3kpocjzvq0t.jpg

It looks like even with some delays everything is moving forward. Also many of our backers are sharing with us their photos of new builds made with Sentry. It helps us a lot to understand what needs you may have towards PC case. What is more, it would be great if everyone who already received his Sentry would share his thoughts with us in one of our forums.

Here you have some examples of nice builds/desk surface arrangements made by our backers (more photos you will find in our forums topics):

sxiomjsysnorxkvrs48e.jpg

l8pny1xg7ydmjmpbldsf.jpg

wgyqxh362n6ermpd6nux.jpg

eufth1ag7uynsuhfgpfq.jpg

uldpuvps6q2sae1mqx4p.jpg

otigsvd7f8yrgh15h2wh.jpg

ozvhnfoiedyugzc4wivd.jpg

wxbckuoullhz7funrjsy.jpg

s3yjlf3kntgrlbs8wree.jpg

orfziwzbuvxwmjhpysun.jpg

1) We were preparing campaign to be able to launch with 100 orders and thus we weren't able to get any proper pricing for courier shipments unless we were doing something like 500+ packages monthly throughout whole year and at least 100 packages going to same country with each batch. Even if we went with that we wouldn't bet on getting so much orders from Australia.

2) I don't know where did you get the $28 freight rate because of the the shipping price for the package by air is somewhere around $130 according to our courier and this freight calculator here: http://worldfreightrates.com/freight

View attachment 26257

We talked about this here when we were preparing campaign as the biggest target of the campaign is obviously US and we couldn't get anything better for US shipping. Since people here were already waiting quite a lot of time for us to launch the campaign, economic shipment to US that takes longer but doesn't cost $100+ was better option.

3) Indiegogo is not perfect - there isn't an option to give you two shipping types to choose unless you split a perk but at the same time you can't make multiple perks share item limit which was our core problem with white cases in the campaign.

Also we didn't want to split perks into smaller batches because:
a) once again indiegogo is a mess and you have to fill out the shipping charges for every single country by hand each time and checking that up for the perks we had was already terrible.
b) we didn't want to make an impression that perks are running out and then adding more like some campaigns do because it effects in people getting pissed and refunding which was counterproductive

4) Indiegogo actually screwed us over with "Estimated Delivery Date" now by updating this description without handling legacy campaigns intact with original description. Up to the end of campaign and still somewhere around March this was described as "Estimated Shipping Start" in the campaigner backend and thus we have shown in the campaign story our plan for processing shipments of 150 cases. We were checking that in our campaign backend every time we were explaining this to people asking about it in mails and just recently we've seen that indiegogo changed this.

Indiegogo doesn't care about keeping the legacy stuff since by their terms the only thing that counts is perk description.

5) Our shipping provider, Polish Post, has the estimated shipping times from when package is delivered to the post office to the moment when it's received including customs handling. According to our "patron" at Post they have updated their statistics on this last year and 95% of the packages are being delivered within this estimated range with those 5% being either randomly picked up for air freight taking less time or taking longer at customs office because the paperwork is incomplete.

One of the things that is taking our time is specifically customs handling through the customs systems which is quite a lot of paperwork but this should make it faster to be freed at the destination customs office. So far our economic packages sent this way were already freed within few days from customs offices in multiple Asian countries.
Thank-you SaperPL for the detailed reply.

I shall sit back and wait patiently.
I will add 2 cents to what Saper said about costs of shipping.

First of all please remember you are receiving a really big package. Really. 60x40x15cm isn't small. At start we just wanted to send you every package in small transport box, but when we were talking about this with you in forums and via emails, most of you were complaining about how transport companies treat packages in different countries. Some of our backers even sent us youtube videos like this one (link) showing how transport looks like in small cities in their country. This is why we decided we need to go big with the package (bigger transport foam, thicker external box, etc.) to avoid future problems.

Secondly, before the campaign when you do not know how many packages will you be sending, then noone from courier companies will give you better price. You have to tell how many packages you will be sending, and if you don't know that, then you will get something nearly as "good" as standard price for 1-package customer.

Finally, i have an example of the offers we received before and after the campaign. When we were preparing the campaign, the best offer for the USA which we received was something like $85 (including insurance and handling customs paper work). Now (after the campaign) when this transport operator saw how many packages we have to send, he gave us an offer for $60 if we will send all of those packages through his company. How can we compare $27 (customs paperwork we are doing by ourselves) which we offered for transport during the campaign to $85 offer which we received before? Many people asked us about the possible options of transport and when they heard those prices most of them said they waited almost 3 years for the Sentry, so 3 or 4 weeks more doesn't change anything. This is why we decided we go with this economic package, and we were talking about this many times.

I hope that explains everything.

Oh. And the best offer for 5-14 days transport to Australia which we received before the campaing was $109, while economical transport which we offered costs something like $28 afair.
Thanks ZombiPL, I'll shut up now.
Jeeze. If this is you staying positive, I surely don't want to see it when you decide to whine.

Let's face it: Australia gets screwed. No two ways about it. Why are you taking out your frustrations at your own customs bureau on the people who are working so hard to bring you what's pretty much the perfect SFF case? (At least in a lot of our eyes, and I'm willing to bet yours as well, since you bought one.)

It's been explained that the 'estimated delivery date' got changed over from what it was when the campaign started: 'estimated start of shipping.' It's also been made VERY clear on the forums and elsewhere exactly what the schedule is for shipping, and it has been since the start of the campaign. There was even an infographic covering exactly that.

As for how much it costs... Did you forget that you live in Australia? You're gonna get screwed, both on shipping time and expense. That's not the fault of the people making the product, it's the fault of teutonic plates moving you guys way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry that you're frustrated, but put that frustration where blame is due:

Either go yell at your government or at the ground beneath your feet.
I yell at our government constantly and the ground beneath my feet gives me better feedback.

And thanks for the reminder that living in Australia we get screwed. As I said I'll shut up now.

Quick question about 3rd patch shipments,

Are u guys sending the whole patch in one day? or break up the process to a whole week and send small amounts everyday?

Thanks!

An interesting side note on temps for open air gpu coolers in the vertical position. Once the gpu fans reach ~750rpm cpu temps begin to increase. Some unscientic testing was done: max heat on Prime95 and winding the gpu fans up and down.

Last edited:
Quick question about 3rd patch shipments,

Are u guys sending the whole patch in one day? or break up the process to a whole week and send small amounts everyday?

Thanks!

We're sending shipments of 150 cases *almost* as planned in our production scheme that is shown in the campaign story - almost because we were planning to ship those 150 each week starting sometime in April - we did sent first shipment just at the turn of April and May, but the preparation for each shipment takes twice as much time as we predicted.

April was supposed to mark the start of shipments as indiegogo was stating this as an estimated starting point at the time of campaign, and we estimated we could fit the first batch within a little more than a month this way, but life shows that you can't really predict everything when planning such huge project.

Sorry for the delay, but please be patient. We don't want to cut corners with quality control and paperwork just to speed up the shipping process.

An interesting side note on temps for open air gpu coolers in the vertical position. Once the gpu fans reach ~750rpm cpu temps begin to increase. Some unscientic testing was done: max heat on Prime95 and winding the gpu fans up and down.

I've found similar results. I didn't bother to check the fan RPM, but I did notice that when my gpu was at max fan speed, my cpu temps rose pretty quickly. I haven't done any checking with lower RPM values though. How much of a difference are you seeing at 750rpm?

I've found similar results. I didn't bother to check the fan RPM, but I did notice that when my gpu was at max fan speed, my cpu temps rose pretty quickly. I haven't done any checking with lower RPM values though. How much of a difference are you seeing at 750rpm?
At 750rpm it was a 1-2°C increase. This was with no gpu load.

I also ran a worst case scenario for 10min. The Fuzzy Doughnut (full screen 8xMSAA) and Prime95 (v28.9 Small FFTs) for 10min, 77°C gpu and 88°C cpu. Normally with Prime95 and the gpu fans stopped the cpu temp would be 78°C (the ambient temp was 22°C).

Reactions: NTRX_
like this
At 750rpm it was a 1-2°C increase. This was with no gpu load.

I also ran a worst case scenario for 10min. The Fuzzy Doughnut (full screen 8xMSAA) and Prime95 (v28.9 Small FFTs) for 10min, 77°C gpu and 88°C cpu. Normally with Prime95 and the gpu fans stopped the cpu temp would be 78°C (the ambient temp was 22°C).

You should be careful with Prime95 in version above v28, because those are having some issues with giving "proper" synthetic load and can damage your CPU. The best, stable version for such benchmarks was afair v26.6. With version 28.9 you may go even higher after 20-40 minutes and with those temps on CPU you can fry it :) The difference in those benchmarks was easily seen with some of Josh's (NFC) coolers benchmarks where he once used v28'ish and then 26.6.

Reactions: 7x1x
like this
You should be careful with Prime95 in version above v28, because those are having some issues with giving "proper" synthetic load and can damage your CPU. The best, stable version for such benchmarks was afair v26.6. With version 28.9 you may go even higher after 20-40 minutes and with those temps on CPU you can fry it :) The difference in those benchmarks was easily seen with some of Josh's (NFC) coolers benchmarks where he once used v28'ish and then 26.6.

I'm aware of the risks. I was curious to see what the worst case would be. I have no problem running v28.9 for hours by itself though.

Wouldnt this principle fit for a Sentry?

http://www.thermalright.de/en/accessories/43/140-mm-fan-duct-black?c=11

To really receive the maximum air from outside?
That might cause noise problems. Maybe it would be wide enough to supply a sufficient air supply to the fan, but it just makes me think that you'd end up with the noise problem that coolers like the C7 has. It's hard to say since it is wider than the C7 fan thought so I'm not 100% confident that there would be a problem.

Would it be possible to fit some of the taller GPUs by using an angled PEG connector? I know it's on the list of incompatible GPUs, by wondering if there are any brave soldiers out there who attempted a Strix 1070.

Would it be possible to fit some of the taller GPUs by using an angled PEG connector? I know it's on the list of incompatible GPUs, by wondering if there are any brave soldiers out there who attempted a Strix 1070.

The answer to the first question is YES - you can fit slightly taller GPU with angled PEG connector, that's why there are dimensions shown in the compatibility info both on our website and in the image linked on top of the spreadsheet:

GPU.png

The answer to the question about strix is NO - strix cards are generally too big. Strix 1070 is 134 mm tall measuring from the slot and as you can see in the image above there's 112 + 18 mm of space there, so it won't fit by ~4 mm.

If it wasn't for those 4 mm it would fit as it has properly recessed PEG connectors, but it would boil inside sentry recycling the hot air most likely because it's made to draw a lot more power than reference GTX 1070.

Back