SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

The answer to the first question is YES - you can fit slightly taller GPU with angled PEG connector, that's why there are dimensions shown in the compatibility info both on our website and in the image linked on top of the spreadsheet:

The answer to the question about strix is NO - strix cards are generally too big. Strix 1070 is 134 mm tall measuring from the slot and as you can see in the image above there's 112 + 18 mm of space there, so it won't fit by ~4 mm.

If it wasn't for those 4 mm it would fit as it has properly recessed PEG connectors, but it would boil inside sentry recycling the hot air most likely because it's made to draw a lot more power than reference GTX 1070.

How large of a card in the Z dimension fits? Just curious if there's an upper limit to height. The SVG just shows the 2 dimensional plane.

Anyone with white interested in a trade for a black one? I really would like to match my Samsung CF791 :(

How large of a card in the Z dimension fits? Just curious if there's an upper limit to height. The SVG just shows the 2 dimensional plane.
I believe 62mm.

Total height of case is 66mm, subtracting 4mm due to thickness of 2mm metal.

Also max CPU cooler is ~48mm + 7mm standoffs + ~8mmPCB to IHS height+ 4mm case thickness = ~66mm(case height) so I think a safe bet of 60-62 mm for max GPU height.

I can measure this height as well when I get home.

Edit: I measured 64 mm.

Edit 2: I wouldn't push past 64mm, this case is built like a tank. If you have to push a panel in to close the case up I'd be worried whats inside.

Last edited:
Thanks boss;
Nothing about schedule?

No schedule until we deliver all cases to backers.

Standard two slot card ~42 mm if it's full length ~305 mm card like triple fan ones, thicker ones will be hard slide the card in.
If it's not a full length card, meaning it can be manoeuvred a bit inside <295 mm, there's ~9mm of space below the card by design, but I wouldn't take that for granted because if you put a 51mm thick card inside then it will most likely be scratching the bottom of the case with its fans.

Also standard two slots should be enough of a dimension since most of the triple slot and 2.5 slot are already oversized in first two dimensions and wouldn't fit anyway.

I believe 62mm.

Total height of case is 66mm, subtracting 4mm due to thickness of 2mm metal.

Also max CPU cooler is ~48mm + 7mm standoffs + ~8mmPCB to IHS height+ 4mm case thickness = ~66mm(case height) so I think a safe bet of 60-62 mm for max GPU height.

I can measure this height as well when I get home.

Edit: I measured 64 mm.

Edit 2: I wouldn't push past 64mm, this case is built like a tank. If you have to push a panel in to close the case up I'd be worried whats inside.

64mm is a full internal dimension and zerodeefex asked about the card thickness. The card is positioned in the center and has some space and air pocket above.

I've got this low profile(7mm) 20-pin USB3 extension to use it for a better cable management in Sentry.
IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2230.JPG

Hello saper/zombie or any expert on this forum..
I'm using gtx 1080 for a year with my 1080p 60hz monitor and now I'm really confuse to choose most suitable monitor for me..

It's between Asus Pg248q 1080p 180hz or Dell S2716DG 1440p 144hz..

Many of friend suggest Dell S2716DG but If I buy Asus Pg248q I can maxed out all setting and got best fps.. And the most important thing is I don't have to worry about my gtx 1080 FE will be toasted inside the sentry.. :p

I've got this low profile(7mm) 20-pin USB3 extension to use it for a better cable management in Sentry.
View attachment 26923 View attachment 26924

Using one of these gave me issues in multiple pc's. I got warnings in both Windows and MacOS (hackintosh) that my usb ports were drawing too much current and MacOS actually disabled my USB ports to "prevent damage". I tried my flexible USB 3.0 header in Sentry and the pc doesn't even see the usb ports. Also take note that it is unlikely this flexible ribbon connector is shielded so you may data loss or corruption when using it. That's part of the reason most internal USB 3.0 cables are so heavy and thick is the necessary shielding.

I am part of that 1st batch 1st shipment and I can't help but check shipping at least 3 times a day. When the shipment hits the states, I will probably lose my shit. I still haven't purchased CPU/GPU as I am waiting on AM4 mITX to drop from ASROCK. Patience is a virtue!

I am part of that 1st batch 1st shipment and I can't help but check shipping at least 3 times a day. When the shipment hits the states, I will probably lose my shit. I still haven't purchased CPU/GPU as I am waiting on AM4 mITX to drop from ASROCK. Patience is a virtue!

checkout gygabytes motherboard. I was looking into asrock new motherboard but gygabytes seems to be much better for me. It has way more USB ports in the I/O and displayport and i need those way more than 2 hdmi. Anyone considered gygabytes over asrock? The difference between x370 and b350 is sort of irrelevant in the sentry.

The problem is that the Gigabyte has an incredibly inconvenient layout for plugging it in, especially the 24 pin.

I'm using gtx 1080 for a year with my 1080p 60hz monitor and now I'm really confuse to choose most suitable monitor for me..

Many of friend suggest Dell S2716DG but If I buy Asus Pg248q I can maxed out all setting and got best fps.. And the most important thing is I don't have to worry about my gtx 1080 FE will be toasted inside the sentry.. :p

Go for the 2k monitor and I guarantee you'll never go back to 1080p.

We're also constantly checking the status of those shipments. While you worry about the state of single package, we are looking out for two hundred packages already and there will be a lot more of them.

The problem is that the Gigabyte has an incredibly inconvenient layout for plugging it in, especially the 24 pin.

Actually this motherboard might be quite nice for Sentry especially because of the location of those connectors. The 8-pin is in a place where non-modular EPS12V will reach easily and 24-pin should reach as well. And the location for USB 3.0 20-pin is making it easy to plug it in as well.

We're also constantly checking the status of those shipments. While you worry about the state of single package, we are looking out for two hundred packages already and there will be a lot more of them.

Actually this motherboard might be quite nice for Sentry especially because of the location of those connectors. The 8-pin is in a place where non-modular EPS12V will reach easily and 24-pin should reach as well. And the location for USB 3.0 20-pin is making it easy to plug it in as well.

Exactly plus the fact that out of all the available motherboards it seems to contain the most i/o in the back. I don't see why the other motherboards have so little I/O in the back. I mean is really important for cases like the Sentry where you don't have a lot of space.

Also I am very excited about Dan's cooler with the new Noctua slim fan in my Sentry for those who are not aware checkit out:

Sorry guys I must leave this here very quick.

Today I got the Lian Li samples and currently my system is running Prime95 with a crazy room temp of 25°C.

The copper edition with the thermalright 100mm fan perform nearly on the same level as the Asetek AIO with a room temp of 21°C. So the HSLP-48 is 3°C better as the AIO and 13°C better as the Dynatron T318.

Now It will try 4Ghz XD

20170606_174259s0sum.jpg

Definitely go with the Dell. 1440p is SUCH a huge upgrade both in screen real estate and graphics when compared to 1080p. Besides, even if you're getting silly high framerates, it would still be wasting the potential of your 1080. :)

If you have >1060 then why not try 1440p? It's better than 1080p and not as taxing as 4K. Worst comes to worse, you can always scale down to 1080p or return the monitor.

Sorry to add another shipping question but when the Sentry's finally do cross over will I receive a email from the Sentry team, Current shipping handlers, or local handlers? Will it show up on the current shipping website?

Sorry to add another shipping question but when the Sentry's finally do cross over will I receive a email from the Sentry team, Current shipping handlers, or local handlers? Will it show up on the current shipping website?
I believe that depends on the country you live in - and thus what shipping company is being used.

I would watch your Indiegogo profile. A good sign is when your shipping address is locked and you can no longer change it because they will soon use it for shipping.

If you already have your tracking number from us and the parcel is in transport through the sea, then it'll depend on whether the post in your country will use the email address to notify you about the incoming package or the customs office contacts you.

I would watch your Indiegogo profile. A good sign is when your shipping address is locked and you can no longer change it because they will soon use it for shipping.

I think Nobounji wants to know if he has to check the tracking all the time or if he'll get the notification about the parcel entering his country. The status of his order will already be set to fulfilled at this point.

Reactions: NTRX_
like this
I think Nobounji wants to know if he has to check the tracking all the time or if he'll get the notification about the parcel entering his country. The status of his order will already be set to fulfilled at this point.
From my experience I had no communication from any of the courier's involved with my delivery.

After asking here it was yourself or Zombi who advised GLS were involved. So from that info I used the original tracking number on GLS site then got a Parcelforce tracking number and then monitored that tracking info.

At no point did I receive any further emails or calls regarding my delivery.

Yeah, but you're in EU so your package shipping takes around a week. People from across the sea want to know when will the shipment land in their country if it takes this long.

So from that info I used the original tracking number on GLS site then got a Parcelforce tracking number and then monitored that tracking info.

Thanks for this, I'm in the US and I used the original tracking number in my local mail carrier (USPS) website and the tracking information came up. USPS doesn't have the first couple of stops, but otherwise they both have the same info. I can also sign up for text updates on the USPS website, rather than checking manually.

Thanks for this, I'm in the US and I used the original tracking number in my local mail carrier (USPS) website and the tracking information came up. USPS doesn't have the first couple of stops, but otherwise they both have the same info. I can also sign up for text updates on the USPS website, rather than checking manually.
Cool, not sure how long it'll take to get through customs. In UK it seemed to take a few days before the tracking info started being updated after it arrived with customs. Hope you get your case soon.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank this supportive community. For many of us, this is a foray into the unknown of SFF builds. For others, it's our first time with a crowdfunding platform. While I've had a storied history in PC building, this is both my first time with crowdfunding and SFF building, but I have felt nothing if not encouragement from this community. Each of us geeked out about the Sentry videos, specs, and made our commitment individually, but being a part of this forum, it's like we have each, all over the world, joined up in common interest and community together to build one of the coolest SFF systems ever! This is all before mentioning how active, supportive, and all-around helpful the Zaber staff has been at every step of the journey (formal thank you below in P.S.)

For me, checking this forum is an encouragement daily (and I don't even have a locked order ID yet!). I hope it is to everyone else. Keep those posts rolling in with builds and let's keep making this community awesome! Huzzah for Sentry!

P.S. - Henryk Sienkiewicz, famous Polish writer (and one of my favorite authors) devoted his writing "to lift the hearts" of his Polish audience. I've constantly gotten the feeling that the Zaber team has been doing that for us in these forums daily. I'm looking forward to the future!

hey guys, I'm trying to figure out a build for the Sentry and your help is much appreciated, I got most of the parts figured out except for the CPU, I'm not sure which one to pick, the i5 7600 or the i5 7600k, my only concern is CPU temp while gaming, planning to get the NH-L9I for cooling.
thanks in advance.

hey guys, I'm trying to figure out a build for the Sentry and your help is much appreciated, I got most of the parts figured out except for the CPU, I'm not sure which one to pick, the i5 7600 or the i5 7600k, my only concern is CPU temp while gaming, planning to get the NH-L9I for cooling.
thanks in advance.

If you aren't overclocking, the locked processor makes a lot more sense in a case like this. :)

I just wanted to take a moment and thank this supportive community. For many of us, this is a foray into the unknown of SFF builds. For others, it's our first time with a crowdfunding platform. While I've had a storied history in PC building, this is both my first time with crowdfunding and SFF building, but I have felt nothing if not encouragement from this community. Each of us geeked out about the Sentry videos, specs, and made our commitment individually, but being a part of this forum, it's like we have each, all over the world, joined up in common interest and community together to build one of the coolest SFF systems ever! This is all before mentioning how active, supportive, and all-around helpful the Zaber staff has been at every step of the journey (formal thank you below in P.S.)

For me, checking this forum is an encouragement daily (and I don't even have a locked order ID yet!). I hope it is to everyone else. Keep those posts rolling in with builds and let's keep making this community awesome! Huzzah for Sentry!

P.S. - Henryk Sienkiewicz, famous Polish writer (and one of my favorite authors) devoted his writing "to lift the hearts" of his Polish audience. I've constantly gotten the feeling that the Zaber team has been doing that for us in these forums daily. I'm looking forward to the future!

Hear hear!
(And thanks for adding a new author to my list!)

To comment further on tracking here in these US....

You can enter your original tracking number in USPS.com and sign up to get email updates on all activity for your sentry as it moves from point to point.

Just a follow up on my previous post, to clarify why I thought that Ar05 or is-40 v3 are better choice than l9i, this review that compares ar05 and l9i:

https://www.nikktech.com/main/artic...ow-profile-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=5

Note silverstone has 9 degrees lower temperature and lower noise. It's also better than lp53 which is proved to be better than noctua.

Now this review that compares ar05 and is-40 v3:

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cooling/china-desk-id-cooling-40-40-v3

is-40 v3 has 6 degrees lower temperatures than ar05. Now, I know that that isn't the whole story, but still it should be considerably better, and it's also very cheap, 25 usd with worldwide free shipping. It's not surprising since it has 4 heatpipes vs two on noctua and silverstone.

I'm sorry if I'm boring or off topic, just wanted to see thoughts on others on this reviews I've posted, and if I'm missing something. I have is-40 v3 coming and ryzen 1500x ready to be tested, I can compare to stock wraith spire, arctic coling alpine 64pro and eventually zalman cnps7x. I know that they are not low profile coolers but that's what I got laying around at home :)

Hear hear!
(And thanks for adding a new author to my list!)

Read his "Trilogy" starting With Fire and Sword. Some of the best historical fiction I have ever read! My favorite translation is out of print but you can still find it on ebay (make sure you get the translation by W. S. Kuniczak).

Just a follow up on my previous post, to clarify why I thought that Ar05 or is-40 v3 are better choice than l9i, this review that compares ar05 and l9i:

https://www.nikktech.com/main/artic...ow-profile-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=5

Note silverstone has 9 degrees lower temperature and lower noise. It's also better than lp53 which is proved to be better than noctua.

Now this review that compares ar05 and is-40 v3:

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cooling/china-desk-id-cooling-40-40-v3

is-40 v3 has 6 degrees lower temperatures than ar05. Now, I know that that isn't the whole story, but still it should be considerably better, and it's also very cheap, 25 usd with worldwide free shipping. It's not surprising since it has 4 heatpipes vs two on noctua and silverstone.

I'm sorry if I'm boring or off topic, just wanted to see thoughts on others on this reviews I've posted, and if I'm missing something. I have is-40 v3 coming and ryzen 1500x ready to be tested, I can compare to stock wraith spire, arctic coling alpine 64pro and eventually zalman cnps7x. I know that they are not low profile coolers but that's what I got laying around at home :)

I'm definitely interested in seeing your temps when you get it! 40-v3 is on my comparison list to check out, but I don't have a lot of benchmarks. If anything, my main concern would be noise, since the 45mm clearance is only 2mm short of the already noted noisy C7 47mm fan. Thank you for the links!

Last edited:
Yep, well see. 2mm is still much better than 0mm :) also you could cut the sides of the fan frame since it's really cheap fan, you can get another one for small money.

Back