SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I'll stay hopeful but your shipping company has quoted the transport time. It will be held up in Australian customs for 2-4 weeks and 90% chance of being unwrapped and inspected and shoved back in it's box before delivery. I would actually of paid more for air freight and the carrier handling the import of the case, less chance of Australian customs pulling it apart and it would be in my hands 5 days after you shipped it. Honestly USD$28 is air freight pricing for shipping.

End June for shipping, July/August sea freight, September AU customs. October delivery. Happy to be wrong....

Contribution Date - January 11, 2017 :eek:
Estimated Delivery Date - April 2017 o_O
My guess - October 2017 :mad:

I am trying to stay positive about Sentry and understand the huge task you have in front of you, the updates do help but my original build plans are out the door now and I'm going to wait for Coffee Lake CPU and 300 series mainboards. Thank god all I bought was a GTX1080.

Jeeze. If this is you staying positive, I surely don't want to see it when you decide to whine.

Let's face it: Australia gets screwed. No two ways about it. Why are you taking out your frustrations at your own customs bureau on the people who are working so hard to bring you what's pretty much the perfect SFF case? (At least in a lot of our eyes, and I'm willing to bet yours as well, since you bought one.)

It's been explained that the 'estimated delivery date' got changed over from what it was when the campaign started: 'estimated start of shipping.' It's also been made VERY clear on the forums and elsewhere exactly what the schedule is for shipping, and it has been since the start of the campaign. There was even an infographic covering exactly that.

As for how much it costs... Did you forget that you live in Australia? You're gonna get screwed, both on shipping time and expense. That's not the fault of the people making the product, it's the fault of teutonic plates moving you guys way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry that you're frustrated, but put that frustration where blame is due:

Either go yell at your government or at the ground beneath your feet.

I received my white Sentry this morning (France).
The package was in a very good shape, no problems with that.

While assembling my configuration, I encounter a problem with the riser.
I'm probably doing something wrong.
I can't seem to screw the female PCIe x16 part to the case.
The holes on the PCIe riser don't align with the ones on the case. Furthermore, the screws ("C" screws, the longest ones) don't go threw the holes of the PCIe riser.

Here are some pictures of the hole alignment : http://imgur.com/a/68kSX
Here are some pictures of the riser itself (for model name for example) : http://imgur.com/a/1Eg5M

I received my white Sentry this morning (France).
The package was in a very good shape, no problems with that.

While assembling my configuration, I encounter a problem with the riser.
I'm probably doing something wrong.
I can't seem to screw the female PCIe x16 part to the case.
The holes on the PCIe riser don't align with the ones on the case. Furthermore, the screws ("C" screws, the longest ones) don't go threw the holes of the PCIe riser.

Here are some pictures of the hole alignment : http://imgur.com/a/68kSX
Here are some pictures of the riser itself (for model name for example) : http://imgur.com/a/1Eg5M
Did you read the online manual?

The holes in the riser pcb doesn't matter, you don't put the screws through them. Just push the riser in the gap as far as possible and the screw holes will get in front of its PCB. Screws are there to tighten the grasp on the plastic body of the pci-e slot.

Did you read the online manual?
The holes in the riser pcb doesn't matter, you don't put the screws through them. Just push the riser in the gap as far as possible and the screw holes will get in front of its PCB. Screws are there to tighten the grasp on the plastic body of the pci-e slot.

Oups, I looked at the manual that was in the box and not the updated one online.
The riser goes in well.

Here's a link to the manual, I'm sure it will be useful to others (y) : http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

Savage

...kidding. I appreciate how active you two are on the forums given your current workload. You two are fantastic and I can't wait to build my rig in Sentry!

Didn't want to be savage, it's simply the fact that we didn't predict that it would be such a problem with mounting the riser (that the holes in the riser pcb are almost aligning with the riser mount holes) and the simplified manual isn't perfect, especially there's no indication that the link on the top points to a manual that has further explanations.

As for being active on the forum - we try to catch up with the thread and emails in the morning and sometimes when two of us at production isn't speeding up anything.

Btw, I've figured out a way of mounting the T318 without dedicated adapter. Info here: https://hardforum.com/threads/lp-sff-cooler-mounting-adaptors-for-am4.1929996/#post-1043029781

does anyone have a Sentry case available, that they don't want ??

i'm willing to make it worth your time.

Mounting/Assembly finished.
Everything is perfect :love:

For those interested here some picures and the configuration :
7Iw87gH.jpg

esZ4J28.jpg

zggVFoD.jpg

Full quality images : http://imgur.com/a/PnV9p

Motherboard : Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA
CPU : Intel Celeron G3900 (2.8 GHz)
CPU Radiator : Xigmatek Praeton LD963
Memory : Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz
GPU : There is an AMD HD7750 in it now. The final card, a GTX 1060, is in an other computer mining Bitcoin.
Storage : 250Go M.2 SSD (under the motherboard)
PSU : Be Quiet ! SFX Power 2 300W (It's a tight fit)

The CPU is cheap but does the work for what I want.
I can play CS:GO at 70-80fps. CPU is at 80-90% usage and GPU is at 90-100% usage.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First of all a big thanks to the whole DR ZĄBER team! You guys have been perfectly transparent about all the processes involved in creating this great product.

My white Sentry just arrived in Germany 5 workdays after I received my tracking number. Package condition is very good: No damage whatsoever and impressively well packaged. Transport companies were DPD Poland and GLS within Germany.

I'm deeply impressed by the build quality of the case - no sharp edges, no defects. Sentry is really beautiful and sturdy.

I had already ordered components so I promptly filled the case with life. My build consists of:
  • ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac motherboard
  • Zotac GTX 1080 FE
  • Intel Core i7 7700K, Cooled by LP53 + Noctua NF-A9x14

Just wanted to share my positive experience with the case and thank you for it. You may receive lots of inquiries and even get the impression people are unsatisfied which I don't think is true. You are doing a great job considering communication, product development, production and delivery. This project should be a role model for all future crowdfunding campaigns!

sentry-01-scaled.jpeg sentry-02-scaled.jpeg sentry-03-scaled.jpeg

Update 1
Temperatures are high although from all what I read about the 7700k that is to be expected. With no delidding and stock speeds it idles between 30-40 C when stressed at 100% quickly rises and ends up jumping between 70-80 C. Maximum I saw were 84 C. No thermal throttling (full turbo).
GPU exhaust air gets pretty toasty too resulting in a quite hot upper part of the case. Chip temps I saw after gaming session were about 80-85 C.
I'm gonna put an update with more detailed stress test results next week.

Last edited:
First of all a big thanks to the whole DR ZĄBER team! You guys have been perfectly transparent about all the processes involved in creating this great product.

My white Sentry just arrived in Germany 5 workdays after I received my tracking number. Package condition is very good: No damage whatsoever and impressively well packaged. Transport companies were DPD Poland and GLS within Germany.

I'm deeply impressed by the build quality of the case - no sharp edges, no defects. Sentry is really beautiful and sturdy.

I had already ordered components so I promptly filled the case with life. My build consists of:
  • ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac motherboard
  • Zotac GTX 1080 FE
  • Intel Core i7 7700K, Cooled by LP53 + Noctua NF-A9x14

Just wanted to share my positive experience with the case and thank you for it. You may receive lots of inquiries and even get the impression people are unsatisfied which I don't think is true. You are doing a great job considering communication, product development, production and delivery. This project should be a role model for all future crowdfunding campaigns!

View attachment 26283 View attachment 26284 View attachment 26285
Thanks!

Nice config - it would be awesome if you could share the test results for temps and clocks since we haven't tested 1080 FE and LP53 on K-SKU in Sentry on our own.
I believe there are people wanting to know how well it performs.

Last edited:
Nice job on this build log, thanks for coming here to share it with others. Awesome!

If you haven't bought the PSU yet, I recommend silverstone ST45SF-V3: http://a.co/c3AVQR8
- the 450W unit with 92mm fan. It's semi-passive, has big-enough fan and proper cables + space for easy routing and leaves space for second 2.5" drive. I'm running this one with GTX1070FE currently on my Xeon build without problems.

Thank you so much for always offering such helpful advice! About this point, I originally had this 450w unit on my build list, but I keep going back to the same size 600w unit and wondering if I will need more. My case may not arrive until July and I was thinking about running either a Ryzen 7 1600 or 1700, a new Vega GPU (hoping they materialize by the end of the year) DDR4 and all the normal things. Maybe I'm just overestimating my needs. You do have a GTX1070FE and a Xeon, which can pull in their own watts quite effectively, so maybe I'm just looking way above my wattage needs.

Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As far as I remember, the flagship Vega will consume around 250 Watt, plus 1600\1700 will consume ~100 Watt, and power consumption of other components is insignificant. So 450 should be enough.
P.S. Everyone recommends Corsair SF450 for SFF systems

Thank you so much for always offering such helpful advice! About this point, I originally had this 450w unit on my build list, but I keep going back to the same size 600w unit and wondering if I will need more. My case may not arrive until July and I was thinking about running either a Ryzen 7 1600 or 1700, a new Vega GPU (hoping they materialize by the end of the year) DDR4 and all the normal things. Maybe I'm just overestimating my needs. You do have a GTX1070FE and a Xeon, which can pull in their own watts quite effectively, so maybe I'm just looking way above my wattage needs.

Thank you!
I was running Ryzen 7 1700 for last week on this psu without OC though, but still on the 450w silverstone semi-passive 92mm fan psu. It worked great, at least for few hours of rocket league I had to spare in that time :p
(I've got either faulty ram or biostar X370GTN broke them when I tried to get them up to XMP specs so I sent them for RMA today. I'll make some proper test when my ram is back and the AGESA 1.0.0.6 UEFI update rolls out for X370GTN)

Note the fact that I also ran R9 Nano which can spike up the wattage quite high, on the 300w bequiet PSU just to see if it gets unstable and it worked quite well for few weeks apart from being really loud...

As far as I remember, the flagship Vega will consume around 250 Watt, plus 1600\1700 will consume ~100 Watt, and power consumption of other components is insignificant. So 450 should be enough.

I would recommend it if not for the modular power cables that are going to be pretty stiff according to someone who has the SF600 and pain route. And there's a significant bump in the price over silverstone unit which is semi-passive and that's a great feature when you're not playing at the moment.

Yeah im running a 95watt tdp 1600x and a 7870 on it and it doesnt even run the fan most of the time
Some photos if possible ?

IMG_20170530_235644671.jpg IMG_20170530_235628642.jpg IMG_20170530_235621265.jpg
A bit ugly just put on with wire and there is also some thin plastic on top to direct the air. I am considering building a metal shroud to better duct the air later.

I would recommend it if not for the modular power cables that are going to be pretty stiff according to someone who has the SF600 and pain route. And there's a significant bump in the price over silverstone unit which is semi-passive and that's a great feature when you're not playing at the moment.
Corsair SF450 is semi-passive too ;)

Didn't want to be savage, it's simply the fact that we didn't predict that it would be such a problem with mounting the riser (that the holes in the riser pcb are almost aligning with the riser mount holes) and the simplified manual isn't perfect, especially there's no indication that the link on the top points to a manual that has further explanations.

As for being active on the forum - we try to catch up with the thread and emails in the morning and sometimes when two of us at production isn't speeding up anything.

Btw, I've figured out a way of mounting the T318 without dedicated adapter. Info here: https://hardforum.com/threads/lp-sff-cooler-mounting-adaptors-for-am4.1929996/#post-1043029781

Is it maybe worth sending out a special kickstarter email just to cover mounting the riser, since it's appearing to be a recurring problem?

Oh my god.

I just got a FedEx "sorry we missed you" note. (The guy didn't even ring the doorbell or knock, I've been home all morning.)

At first, I thought, "There's no way, is there?" So I checked tracking. My shipment was passed to an international carrier two days ago...

There's a 99% chance that it's not my Sentry, but... Off to the post office! :D

Is it maybe worth sending out a special kickstarter email just to cover mounting the riser, since it's appearing to be a recurring problem?

I was thinking the same... I am actually intrigued about the mounting and why people get confused.

BTW, since I see a lot of people asking for a Sentry, if someone is willing to pay 500€ (negotiable) please contact me. I am willing to give my Indiegogo account and you can edit the address and receive it at home. hahaha

Oh my god.
I just got a FedEx "sorry we missed you" note. (The guy didn't even ring the doorbell or knock, I've been home all morning.)
At first, I thought, "There's no way, is there?" So I checked tracking. My shipment was passed to an international carrier two days ago...
There's a 99% chance that it's not my Sentry, but... Off to the post office! :D

GLS did the same thing to me with the motherboard, waited all morning with the doors open all the way to the front door so I could hear it for sure and then I updated the tab in my browser and it told me no one was home like 30min ago and they never send me a pickup notice at all. I had to go with a handwritten note of the tracking number and ask if they had it the day after. It took them more than 10min to dig it out from under a newly arrived load of packages. I have truly been reminded how much I despise waiting for a delivery, I much prefer getting it from a GLS package shop like the local supermarkets when I have the time.

SaperPL ZombiPL
Thank you for everything you've done so far and everything you continue to do. I think a lot of people may take for granted what a prize they have here within your champaign. Not only do we have Loving people who adore their job with passion and take pride in the service that they're doing in their downtime at their own expense, adding weight and stress to their jobs, their family, even perhaps their marriage... You guys aren't leaving us behind!

This is my first time supporting a crowdfunded campaign and I must say, I am very pleased to see the care and professional exercise that you project in your actions, choices, and commitments within this project. There are so many bad stories about kickstarters falling apart and everyone getting their money stolen or the project falling short of what was promised.. But I don't think that's the case here. I think you guys will slave your lives away until we're satisfied and maybe we'll be lucky if you wanna do it some more with a retail release.

What did I think when I realized I won't get my case until July/August? I thought.. I thought Indiegogo was a bit misleading with the whole "estimated time".. I thought it was a bit tragic but reasonable that it would take that long, considering the weight of Sentry and the fact that it will be shipped from Poland.. And of course, the price. It was nice to see those surrounding Poland to get it relatively soon, but I'm not surrounding Poland.

Do what you do, don't let anyone get you down because you probably have enough stress to handle as it is.

Shortly after getting my Sentry, I sent my power supply back to Corsair since the fan was making some odd sounds at idle (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be solved :/). I finally received a power supply back from Corsair today and made an attempt at some better cable management in the case. The goal was to put less pressure on the side panel since it had to kind of force it down the last time I built in it. I'll stick the final result down below and have the intermediate steps after to hopefully give other users some ideas. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised how well you can hide cables if you seriously take your time. Also, I'm like 90% sure that the cables fit underneath the motherboard, but I could be completely wrong and slightly warping the motherboard as a warning. The diameter of the power cable and the height of the standoffs seem to be the same length so I'm pretty sure it works out.
70R1RK0l.jpg
So, the fit here is really tight. The ribbon cable and other cables cannot overlap under the motherboard since that would be too tall. Some of this shifts a little bit as I'm securing the motherboard, but it all seemed to fit.
UktqUXql.jpg
The USB 3.0 header was a little bit tricky to keep flat, but otherwise it seems like a success. The power button cable was oddly difficult to get underneath the motherboard, but I think it's hidden well enough.
YlHWnNml.jpg
So, the best advice I can give for the 24 pin header is to handle each bundle of wires individually instead of trying to manage the mass all at once. It's a pretty bad time either way since I think Corsair would find it difficult to make their cables any stiffer. It seemed to work well enough to have the cables flat against the side of the power supply to keep it away from the RAM. I almost wish I had a 2.5" SSD to put by my PSU to further hide the cables coming out of the PSU.
WobGlt0l.jpg

On an unrelated note, for anyone else using a Corsair SF600 in their Sentry: Does your fan just barely start spinning at idle causing a creaking sound? I think my idle case temperature is right on the edge of the fan kicking on. It's pretty annoying since the rest of my case is so quiet. Hopefully Silverstone goes through with their fanless 450W PSU prototype and it won't require a ton of passive airflow to not overheat.

edit: I just finished a ~1 hour session of The Witcher 3 and figured I'd share my results in case people were looking for some more gaming results:
CPU: 6700K delided running at stock (for now)
CPU Cooler: LP53 with a Cryorig C7 fan zip tied to it
GPU: EVGA 1070SC
CPU:
CPU Usage: 22%-34%
Max: 67C
Average: 60C
Fan Speed Max: 37% power or ~925rpm
Fan Speed Min: 10% power or ~750rpm
GPU:
GPU Usage: 100%
Max and Average: 80C (It never really went up or down from this).
Fan Speed Max and Average: 52%
At some point I'll get some VR benchmarks as well.

Last edited:
Shortly after getting my Sentry, I sent my power supply back to Corsair since the fan was making some odd sounds at idle (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be solved :/). I finally received a power supply back from Corsair today and made an attempt at some better cable management in the case. The goal was to put less pressure on the side panel since it had to kind of force it down the last time I built in it. I'll stick the final result down below and have the intermediate steps after to hopefully give other users some ideas. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised how well you can hide cables if you seriously take your time. Also, I'm like 90% sure that the cables fit underneath the motherboard, but I could be completely wrong and slightly warping the motherboard as a warning. The diameter of the power cable and the height of the standoffs seem to be the same length so I'm pretty sure it works out.
70R1RK0l.jpg
So, the fit here is really tight. The ribbon cable and other cables cannot overlap under the motherboard since that would be too tall. Some of this shifts a little bit as I'm securing the motherboard, but it all seemed to fit.
UktqUXql.jpg
The USB 3.0 header was a little bit tricky to keep flat, but otherwise it seems like a success. The power button cable was oddly difficult to get underneath the motherboard, but I think it's hidden well enough.
YlHWnNml.jpg
So, the best advice I can give for the 24 pin header is to handle each bundle of wires individually instead of trying to manage the mass all at once. It's a pretty bad time either way since I think Corsair would find it difficult to make their cables any stiffer. It seemed to work well enough to have the cables flat against the side of the power supply to keep it away from the RAM. I almost wish I had a 2.5" SSD to put by my PSU to further hide the cables coming out of the PSU.
WobGlt0l.jpg

On an unrelated note, for anyone else using a Corsair SF600 in their Sentry: Does your fan just barely start spinning at idle causing a creaking sound? I think my idle case temperature is right on the edge of the fan kicking on. It's pretty annoying since the rest of my case is so quiet. Hopefully Silverstone goes through with their fanless 450W PSU prototype and it won't require a ton of passive airflow to not overheat.

edit: I just finished a ~1 hour session of The Witcher 3 and figured I'd share my results in case people were looking for some more gaming results:
CPU:
GPU:

Nice build. Great cable management, I need to take notes on your cable management.
I'm glad to see others are having good luck with the lp53 heatsink. It is the only way I could have peace of mind with my 4790k in Sentry. I can do pretty much anything without worry of hitting some crazy temps.

70R1RK0l.jpg
UktqUXql.jpg
YlHWnNml.jpg
WobGlt0l.jpg

CPU:
GPU:
Has anyone used the Cable Mod Paracord cables for the Corsair SFX? I have also run the 8 pin connector under the board, and wonder if the OEM cords are thicker than the ones Cable Mod make.

Shipping update here! My Sentry shipped on May 25th, and arrived in Japan today! That was fast (one week from Poland to Japan)! I expect it'll be delivered by the end of the week (depending on customs). Only problem (for me) is I'm on a business trip in the USA for another two weeks! :cry:.

I am very excited, though, that it'll be there when I get back home!

Shipping update here! My Sentry shipped on May 25th, and arrived in Japan today! That was fast (one week from Poland to Japan)! I expect it'll be delivered by the end of the week (depending on customs). Only problem (for me) is I'm on a business trip in the USA for another two weeks! :cry:.

I am very excited, though, that it'll be there when I get back home!

That's because quite a lot of economic packages from Poland to Asia are being picked up for air freight because we're importing more than exporting - there's just lot of room on the way back :)

That's because quite a lot of economic packages from Poland to Asia are being picked up for air freight because we're importing more than exporting - there's just lot of room on the way back :)
Yeah I figured something of the sort, thanks again for working with my shipping changes!

Has anyone used the Cable Mod Paracord cables for the Corsair SFX? I have also run the 8 pin connector under the board, and wonder if the OEM cords are thicker than the ones Cable Mod make.

I got them for my sf600 but I've been so buried in work lately I haven't had a chance to try them. The cable mod cables are thicker but still quite thin overall. Depending on your motherboard I think it should still fit under the motherboard, assuming you don't have an M.2 slot in the way or other things like capacitors hanging from the bottom.

Holy knucking futz Batman! My package was delivered yesterday and I overlooked it when I picked up my mail/other packages!

Picked it up during my lunch!!! So excited!!! Only took 7 days from Poland to USA.

LH7zQwG.jpg

Obligatory dog included

OMG....you pay for additional insurance and your package is being delivered in such condition... Please check if everything is fine with internal box.

Quick question: Do I have to pay any additional custom charge/ import fee after recieving sentry?

Quick question: Do I have to pay any additional custom charge/ import fee after recieving sentry?

It depends where you live. If you are in EU, then no. If you are outside EU, you have to check what limits for imported goods (values) are set in your country. If your country has low limits, then you may pay additional tax according to your local law.

Holy knucking futz Batman! My package was delivered yesterday and I overlooked it when I picked up my mail/other packages!

Picked it up during my lunch!!! So excited!!! Only took 7 days from Poland to USA.

LH7zQwG.jpg

Obligatory dog included

Seriously? Mine shipped May 6 and I haven't seen it yet. USPS hasn't updated their crap in a long time.

LH7zQwG.jpg

Obligatory dog included

Wow. Not knocking you for getting your Sentry but just...wow. Where in the US are you if you don't mind me asking? Mine was shipped 5/5/17 and "Sent from Poland" on 5/10/17. This is the last update I show for tracking. I guess it's just the difference in how they got shipped? Alas, my exercise in patience continues...

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Wow. Not knocking you for getting your Sentry but just...wow. Where in the US are you if you don't mind me asking? Mine was shipped 5/5/17 and "Sent from Poland" on 5/10/17. This is the last update I show for tracking. I guess it's just the difference in how they got shipped? Alas, my exercise in patience continues...
Same with me as well.

Same Here. West coast USA.

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
OMG....you pay for additional insurance and your package is being delivered in such condition... Please check if everything is fine with internal box.
On a break, but I'm sure and optimistic that the packaging inside is perfect. I'll make an update once I've opened it. So excited!!!

Seriously? Mine shipped May 6 and I haven't seen it yet. USPS hasn't updated their crap in a long time.
Sorry to hear that. I hadn't known about my shipment until today as I never checked my junk mail for the email from the courier service. So it was indeed a nice surprise that elated my day!

Wow. Not knocking you for getting your Sentry but just...wow. Where in the US are you if you don't mind me asking? I guess it's just the difference in how they got shipped? Alas, my exercise in patience continues...
No worries, I believe you are correct in saying it must be a different route in shipping. Mine must have hit the perfect window and hopped on a flight from Germany to Memphis, Tennessee then onwards to Dayton, Ohio.
Same Here. West coast USA.
I live in Dayton, Ohio, hopefully yours reaches you soon.

Back