screw Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're ok with buying a game that an employee has "rented" at the new price?

If the box is open, I want an open-box price. This goes with Best Buy doing their "optimization" shit to laptops. You open the box, I'm going to get the open-box price.

I stopped going to Gamestop years ago. Most of my offline game purchases are usually at Fry's now, and occasionally Best Buy. They have the most amount of PC titles on the shelves and I've seen lots of $5-10 off even for new releases. (for instance I got Crysis Warhead for $20 + tax on it's release weekend at Fry's)

Last game i bought at Gamestop/Eb Games, whichever it was at the time, was the last copy a local store had of Half Life 2 on release day back in 2004. :p

The biggest problem with GameStop is the people who work there. Its awful, truly one of THE worst retail environments I've ever been in...:eek:

One positive that I see in buying from Gamestop is their "codes" that you get with your preorder. You dont get these from Best buy, Target,Newegg or Walmart for that matter. I will continue to buy from them only when it suits me,
like buying a used game or hardware, I could find it a dollar cheaper on ebay or somewhere else but at Gamestop I get it now and dont have to wait for it to be shipped.

Last edited:
pc games down here at gamestop are few and far between. out of 10 stores that i go to every so often, i think 4 of them carry pc games. the others say we either stopped selling them or never carried them to begin with. i usually go to browse for a bargain slash, as down here almost everything is console console console mentality. so sometimes ill see a fairly new pc game for $10-$15. but thats pretty rare that its a game i wanted. i get some at best buy or target or big lots, compusa and walmart are always overpriced on games now. i had read walmart was going to drop new release pc games by $10 but ive not seen it happen, not sure if they were talked out of it or not. so most purchases i do online mainly at various places including the hard forum.

gamestop runs the business how they want to, not how the customers would like. corporate american greed, what else is new.

pc games down here at gamestop are few and far between. out of 10 stores that i go to every so often, i think 4 of them carry pc games. the others say we either stopped selling them or never carried them to begin with. i usually go to browse for a bargain slash, as down here almost everything is console console console mentality. so sometimes ill see a fairly new pc game for $10-$15. but thats pretty rare that its a game i wanted. i get some at best buy or target or big lots, compusa and walmart are always overpriced on games now. i had read walmart was going to drop new release pc games by $10 but ive not seen it happen, not sure if they were talked out of it or not. so most purchases i do online mainly at various places including the hard forum.

gamestop runs the business how they want to, not how the customers would like. corporate american greed, what else is new.

Computer games don't sell that well in stores, what do you want them to do about it?

Most Japanese game stores don't stock PC games, either. Except maybe H games.

I buy my games at Walmart or Best Buy, they are always in stock and they are always in their plastic.

Last edited:
I actually love my Gamestop. There is an Asian chick that works there that is great. She knows what type of games I like and don't like. Sure she is making a sales pitch to preorder, but I like to preorder anyway. She knows what games I am going to preorder before I even say anything. Its great. Its like I have a personal shopper. I can actually trust the games she recommends when I ask.

All the other people who work there are tards and if she stopped working there then I would probably just go to Walmart; but as long as she works there Gamestop will continue to be the only place I get my games at.

I actually love my Gamestop. There is an Asian chick that works there that is great. She knows what type of games I like and don't like. Sure she is making a sales pitch to preorder, but I like to preorder anyway. She knows what games I am going to preorder before I even say anything. Its great. Its like I have a personal shopper. I can actually trust the games she recommends when I ask.

All the other people who work there are tards and if she stopped working there then I would probably just go to Walmart; but as long as she works there Gamestop will continue to be the only place I get my games at.

Is she cute? Why don't you ask her out?

Although I do sympathize...who cares? It's not like you're buying used Cheetos or something. Long as the CD key registers and the game installs, that's really all that matters :)

Usually I don't bother getting anything at Gamestop, but occasionally they have good trade in deals. I recently got 42 bucks towards Bayonetta by trading in Boderlands, so 18 bucks for Bayonetta was a good deal.

Well not all gamestops operate the same way, but I've been to some really shitty ones that do this as well.

So you're cool if I sell something to you as BRAND NEW but take it for a test-drive first, allowing other customers to touch and prod the box leaving you with no idea if it was already used. SWEET!

You just went through the exact steps of buying a 'new' car LOL

You just went through the exact steps of buying a 'new' car LOL

A car isn't a videogame... people know and expect cars to have been test-driven :rolleyes:. A videogame however is supposed to be shrinkwrapped and untouched, with no risk of the cdkey being stolen by an employee ;).

really after you install the game and start playing it, you want give a crap that it was opened beforehand.

How about if they Key Code is already in use or missing? It may not be a problem for ME2, but it could be for other games.

A videogame however is supposed to be shrinkwrapped and untouched, with no risk of the cdkey being stolen by an employee ;).

I think that's the biggest legitimate beef the OP and like-minded folks can have. In the days of CD keys being locked into steam or EA accounts I wouldn't buy anything that had been opened. Buy the game, take it home, CD key already in use by the little 18 year-old punk who wouldn't even look up when you asked him a question, and you are not getting your money back.

Yeah, I know Steam isn't perfect, and I know people here have had problems with Steam, but I get better customer service from Steam than from Gamestop.

How about if they Key Code is already in use or missing? It may not be a problem for ME2, but it could be for other games.
then back to the store I go I guess. I dont like the fact that it is open but of all the crap I have to worry about I find that pretty low on my list. they know me pretty well there so if I ever had a problem they would take care of me. I dont normally buy pc games there but I did buy a used Gamecube and all the RE games from them and always get friendly service. I think the only pc games I have bought there were Red Faction Guerrilla because I had a trade in, Dead Space because I had 10 bucks off, and Far Cry 2 because of some code. learned my leason on Far Cry 2 and will never pay full price for a new release game again. anyway thats pretty much my Gamestop history. lol

Although I do sympathize...who cares? It's not like you're buying used Cheetos or something. Long as the CD key registers and the game installs, that's really all that matters :)

While I logically agree with you, in the real world there's something about used items that inherently devalues them. All second hand markets sell things cheaper than store prices, it's just a basic expectation.

I think i grabbed CoH in a store with a display copy and I paid less for it, I wouldn't have paid full price *shrug*, that was a GAME store in the UK though.

I agree Gamestop sucks. I haven't like them ever since they bought out Funcoland , Babages EB games and Software Ect each of which had there own unique setup.

yea well, it's mostly due to the idiots/assholes that work there. They've sold my CE pre-orders multiple times. Most of the people that work there are generally clueless about games in general as well.

I just buy from Amazon or steam now..

While I logically agree with you, in the real world there's something about used items that inherently devalues them. All second hand markets sell things cheaper than store prices, it's just a basic expectation.

I think i grabbed CoH in a store with a display copy and I paid less for it, I wouldn't have paid full price *shrug*, that was a GAME store in the UK though.

I suppose, but Gamestop really only drops the prices of used games by $5. To me that's not worth the hassle of driving to another store, hunting for the game, standing in line *again*, just to be able to say "I broke the plastic seal myself!" :)

yea well, it's mostly due to the idiots/assholes that work there. They've sold my CE pre-orders multiple times. Most of the people that work there are generally clueless about games in general as well.

I just buy from Amazon or steam now..

Best Buy normally has a shit load CE edition games in stock so if I want one that's where I go, no preordering necessary.

Correction: The 5 dollar preorder deposit does not go up in smoke if you do not pick up the game. It queues and they will let you apply it to another preorder. Personal experience buying Mass Effect 2. They've been calling me for a month or so because I didn't pick up my Modern Warfare 2.

I buy physical from Amazon or Best Buy. My CE is coming today :) No deposit necessary

Correction: The 5 dollar preorder deposit does not go up in smoke if you do not pick up the game. It queues and they will let you apply it to another preorder. Personal experience buying Mass Effect 2. They've been calling me for a month or so because I didn't pick up my Modern Warfare 2.

yeah you can cash out those pre-order deposits at any time. I go throw down 5 dollars on a game to get the early beta access or whatever and then just cancel the reserve some other time, they give you a nasty look when you cancel since that's a mark against the "numbers" that their good / bad job performance is based on, but they have to give you the cash back.

They ate my 5 dollars on my pre-orderfor MW2, said I had no proof of throwing down the 5 bucks, even though I had a receipt in hand.

FTL.

I don't think that I have bought anything from Gamestop or EB in frickin years. Why? they are indeed douchebags. Even if there is a cool person working there they are bound by the Gamestop douchery.

Not to mention getting royally screwed when trading in stuff. Why bother with them at all? I would rather buy a dvd at big lots.

never preordered, never had trouble finding a game I didnt preorder

never preordered, never had trouble finding a game I didnt preorder

Any popular game and there are going to be plenty of copies.

I pre-ordered a game once, and the shipment got delayed so I got the game a week later than everyone else. Learned my lesson.

I suppose, but Gamestop really only drops the prices of used games by $5. To me that's not worth the hassle of driving to another store, hunting for the game, standing in line *again*, just to be able to say "I broke the plastic seal myself!" :)

I wouldn't... in fact, I don't: I order online now and have it shipped to my door, release day, for free and usually a few bucks cheaper BRAND NEW sealed instead of open-box and/or used-as-a-demo-unit.

Exactly... not to mention the risk of it being activated already and them telling you to screw off when you try to return it because *GASP* it's already opened (by them no less)!

One time at band camp, I went to a Gamestop and I found a mouse in my game.

Computer games don't sell that well in stores, what do you want them to do about it?

Most Japanese game stores don't stock PC games, either. Except maybe H games.

well they carry some not to popular games, but if they just concentrated on the major titles i think the sales would be better. i dont know anything of japans tastes that much or business so.

but if best buy can sell both and so can walmart and target,,,,why cant they, shit some of the malls have 2-3 gamestops instead of one medium to large store,,, so the fact they cant design the store to keep customers in and have a better selection is small. the majority of their stores i been too are very very cramped, i think they like customers feeling like a sardine. also look at how they display the pc games, they stick them in a rack and maybe 1 or 2 boxes are showing the cover art. while they might have 20-30 copies of the same console game showing the cover. and from wall to wall. im guessing they were charging to much for displays and take the console money with ease. but when u sell the same game for xbox 360, ps3, wii , and it has a pc version,,,,,, why not display some together or a note saying available for these platforms. if they could have left 4 dead 2 for cheap shortly after launch,,,,, they could do more things to make sales. but when u gear the store to sell consoles and disrespect customers somewhat, they go elsewhere where its hassle free and the item is readily available. might not help that the pc version is usually a little cheaper than the console... so maybe its the dollar amount they have trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back