screw Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called gamestop yesterday to make sure that I could pick up a copy of Mass Effect 2 even though I did not preorder. They said that it is open to anyone. After work I drove out there and got in line. When I approached the counter I asked for a copy of Mass Effect for the pc. The guy asked if I had preordered. I said, no and he then grabbed a copy from behind the register and put it on the counter. Another employee came from the store floor and put down an open empty box and proceded to dig through the bin of dvds. I asked is that my copy thats already opened? He was like yea its the "display." I'm not going to pay full price for an open box item. I said, what about the one you had on the counter in front of me. "Oh, those are pre orders." fucking douche bags. So long story short I told them no thanx. Fuck gamestop, once again I'm not going to spend full price on an open box item. I'll take my money elsewhere. They lost a customer. I wonder how long they have been selling "display's" at full price and what their fucking mindset is on that.

a friend of mine sent me that email

what a bunch of douchebags

OK dude, your friend isn't very well informed; The gamestop I go to ALWAYS has the discs out of the box. ALWAYS. It's so you can't shoplift it. You bring the box to the counter, they dig for the disc and put it in. And who gives a damn - they take the CD key out too, so it's not like someone will steal it.

The game isn't used, right? Right? No one ever installed it and played it before you. Quality is going to be there - no scratches, etc. So what are you bitching about?!

btw i had them keep my $5 pre-order for Half-life 2 , i could not locate my reciept at the time, but they had me in the computer with my number, but said there is no money listed.... so i never pre-order with them ever again. once i found out only steam pre-orders came with dod source, i wanted to cancel and apply it to something else. $5 might not be a lot of money, but its still worth something and its my $5. anyway many people have similar story as i read on here and other forums. but ive had issues at best buy when something is not packed with a pc game,,, namely the cd key, had that happen twice .... what a bitch that was.

, if i pre-order anything now, its with amazon, as generally u get the item on time or early. and they have a killer customer service. anything thats been messed up amazon has replaced for me, hassle free. so they get a lot of business from me.

OK dude, your friend isn't very well informed; The gamestop I go to ALWAYS has the discs out of the box. ALWAYS. It's so you can't shoplift it. You bring the box to the counter, they dig for the disc and put it in. And who gives a damn - they take the CD key out too, so it's not like someone will steal it.

The game isn't used, right? Right? No one ever installed it and played it before you. Quality is going to be there - no scratches, etc. So what are you bitching about?!

How do you know it wasn't played, sneezed on, or had the CDkey used by an employee? It's now OPEN BOX software, not returnable if there's an issue even if you only walked out of the store 20 seconds ago and just changed your mind. The package from the shelf has been touched by zillions of people as well, and it's good as USED at that point. Charge less and present them as NOT new, but don't try to claim it's new which means shrinkwrapped and unopened, when it's not, then charge the same price!

How do you know it wasn't played, sneezed on, or had the CDkey used by an employee? It's now OPEN BOX software, not returnable if there's an issue even if you only walked out of the store 20 seconds ago and just changed your mind. The package from the shelf has been touched by zillions of people as well, and it's good as USED at that point. Charge less and present them as NOT new, but don't try to claim it's new which means shrinkwrapped and unopened, when it's not, then charge the same price!

They reseal the package when you buy it - they have some of those stickers that come apart in pieces and don't peel off.

As for the employees using it...well, I don't know - I've never been burned; Moveover, I don't buy many PC games there. PC games can be bought on Steam...and preorders I do elsewhere (Pre-ordered a copy of Mass Effect 2 from EA: they shipped it second day air on Friday, so it got to me on Tuesday...and was even stamped "time sensitive"...)

Last edited:
Why do people just bend over and ask "Whats the problem with buying opened boxes"? Why is that even remotely acceptable in your book? I don't need to make analogies, you should be very aware of the fact that its just dirty business to open something, sell it for the same price, but not allow customers to return it like every other game business on the planet allows.

People that think this is okay, and continue to buy from these stores just encourage them to conduct this kind of behavior and in the future it will only get worse. "Oh we can get away with selling games without having returns? Awesome! Our customers are so STUIPID, how else can we suck money out of them?"

edit: These kind of customers are the same people that dont mind giving up a little bit of their rights just because its not a big deal.

Why do people just bend over and ask "Whats the problem with buying opened boxes"? Why is that even remotely acceptable in your book? I don't need to make analogies, you should be very aware of the fact that its just dirty business to open something, sell it for the same price, but not allow customers to return it like every other game business on the planet allows.

People that think this is okay, and continue to buy from these stores just encourage them to conduct this kind of behavior and in the future it will only get worse. "Oh we can get away with selling games without having returns? Awesome! Our customers are so STUIPID, how else can we suck money out of them?"

edit: These kind of customers are the same people that dont mind giving up a little bit of their rights just because its not a big deal.

Spot-on... "What? Why shouldn't police be allowed to monitor all your phone calls? If you're not doing anything illegal what do you care?!" is probably the same attitude these people have who are saying "What? It's open and possibly used, who cares? Why not pay the same price, it installs the same!" even though it's materially different and then unreturnable (I have never seen one of those "peel-off stickers" at a gamestop, bestbuy has them for open-box products but they peel off on their own sometimes leaving it open-looking regardless).

idk, I dont like it and I think a 5-10% discount is in order. Then again I dont like thinking of people reading through books at the bookstore I am buying but I still buy them.

You know, these threads get old. It is their policy that if you do not pre order, they will not sell you one on day one. I think they should just put this on their sign.

I rarely go to Gamestop except for used games. All PC games come from Steam and console games come from Best Buy.

You know, these threads get old. It is their policy that if you do not pre order, they will not sell you one on day one. I think they should just put this on their sign.
+If you dont like it, its not like you cant go to Bestbuy, Walmart, or any of the other retailers who also do preorders and release day stocks.

I rarely go to Gamestop except for used games. All PC games come from Steam and console games come from Best Buy.

It's also their policy to sell your crap even if you do pre-order....

The biggest problem with GameStop is the people who work there. Its awful, truly one of THE worst retail environments I've ever been in...:eek:

That's the truth. The last thing I want to deal with is an arrogant nerd who thinks he knows everything. I already have that job. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back