Scary Games

Silent Hill 1 & 2 were both extremely scary for me. the added sensation of constant sorrow or dread helped a lot too. (haven't played 3 yet, 4 wasn't as creepy as the first 2)
Resident Evil 1 & 2 were more "surprising" than scary, but they definitely had my heart thumping...

...and Manhunt. i can't think of another game that had my pulse pounding for almost the entire time i played it. i couldn't relax the whole way through, and the farther you get, the more on edge you become. one of the pinnacle moments was running around the abandoned house, trying to keep two steps ahead of "Piggy."

neokeelo said:
System Shock 2
Clive Barkers Undying
Silent Hill 2
Doom (back in the day)

Corridor 7 ( anyone know what im talking about ? big eyeballs and purple aliens ) :D
Body Count (old fps)

lol I remember the last two...ya, they never went anywhere :p

Scariest for me: Doom 3 and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

You don't know scary until you've played DCotE. Honestly, I had to stop playing it not even halfway through b/c it was waaaaaay too intense. GameSpy even listed that as a Con of the game: Some people may find the game too frightening. I'm one of em. :p

The graphics in Silent Hill 1 were beautiful for its time, and although outdated, there is this feel that the game gives off that scares all who play it.

Anyone remember the beginning when those little kids come up on you? I should've stopped playing after that, but either way, that gave me nightmares.

TheGamerZ said:
Clive Barker's Undying...

I still refuse to play that game to this day.

Am I the only person here that thinks Undying wasn't all that frightening? I mean, ok, there were a few brief parts near the beginning, namely in the mansion and outside by the crypts that were a little scary, but 90% of the game was just plain old boring. Going back in time and fighting monks and pirates? Uhh... ok.

Thief 3 was by far the most frightening game i've EVER played. The funny thing is - its not even supposed to be a scary game! Who knew that an abandoned orphanage could be so damned terrifying? When that door upstairs in the attic started pounding, I ran out of my room screaming (not kidding).

Liekomg said:
Am I the only person here that thinks Undying wasn't all that frightening? I mean, ok, there were a few brief parts near the beginning, namely in the mansion and outside by the crypts that were a little scary, but 90% of the game was just plain old boring. Going back in time and fighting monks and pirates? Uhh... ok.

Thief 3 was by far the most frightening game i've EVER played. The funny thing is - its not even supposed to be a scary game! Who knew that an abandoned orphanage could be so damned terrifying? When that door upstairs in the attic started pounding, I ran out of my room screaming (not kidding).

I agree with that, it started strong then it just got silly. If they'd have stuck with the old haunted estate setting it would have felt more real and thus scarier.

I say Doom3 takes me on the "jump out in the dark" factor. Playing with nice surround sound at 2am in the dark.. :)

FEAR actually scared me. Hearing that guy scream THEY ALL DESERVE TO DIE and then the little girl in red standing upside down on a cieling of blood.. :eek:

aliens vs predator gave me some elements of terror. doom 3 did too.

avp:
low on health, low on ammo, in the dark where i don't know where i am or i'm supposed to go, *beep beep*

doom3:
pinky demon comin at me when i only had a pistol. lol. so much fun running away only to realize "OH FOR FUCK SAKES IT'S RIGHT BEHIND ME AHHH"

Undying was unbelievably scary through most the game. Made you jump back in your chair and get the creeps constantly. Howlers in the dark and the scariest music ever made for a game IMO.

ya i put down a vote for doom 3 i definitely jumped a bit while playing that game... also you guys might laugh but i beat the original half life when i was only like 13 and i remember when the headcrabs would pop out of random places i would always jump,... i love that game haha

It's a real oldie, but for me I'd say Space Hulk. Odd to think that a turn based game could be scary but those genestealers used to make me jump out of my skin. :D

Nothing modern that's scary. I might try Thief 3 though as 1 and 2 were pretty atmospheric. Doom 3 wasn't scary in the least bit, just dark.

Xephian said:
The Silent Hill series. Especially Silent Hill 2.

Ridiculously true. Silent Hill 2 was truly....unsettling. I couldn't play at night. I know that sounds mad gay but the daylight was truly your firend in this game. My girlfriend usually keeps me company and enjoys watching me play any game including Doom 3, wouldn't even watch Silent Hill 2.

Sanitarium gets my vote along with Silent hill for the most "creepy" atmospheric games.

Undying was scary aswell, and I wish Clive would help make a new game. However I thought that undying had a very good first half but fell down a LOT in the second half, everything seemed to go from "scary/atmosphereic" to "generic horror cliche things that aren't really scary."

Espically the "end" thing and the one before it..........just seemd rather cliche things that weren't scary really.

Cadaver said:
Thief 3. Is the level called Shalebridge Cradle? Possibly the freakiest level ever made.
Which one is that? I remember the one inside that orphanage that was pretty fucking crazy. I love that game. I have to reinstall that right now... RIGHT NOW.. haha :D

Undying when you needed to walk down that curtain , moonlit hallway....
Undying when you went to look in the mirror (cool new graphics effect) and there it was behind you.....
Undying when you saw the picture , or did you,,,,,
Undying when you found out you needed to go inside the greenhouse at 2AM....

SkullE said:
Undying when you found out you needed to go inside the greenhouse at 2AM....

Yeah those damn evil vines in the greenhouse were odd as hell but not very scary for me. What really got me was when you first enter the temple with Lizbeth at the gate scoffing at you then you go around kill a few howlers then you enter the temple - the music was unnerving especially when you first get that undead spell from the coffin then flip the gate switch the the howlers come and a giant green howler is standing over you. Really creepy.

i agree fatal frame was quite scary, especially waltzing around with the flashlight and then a wtf ghost pops up.
fear wasn't as scary, more like startled me at certain points. most of the time i was having fun kicking the enemies and what not.
the haunting was pretty creepy, basically running and hiding from some giant crazed freak, plus no loading times and everything was seamless so everything was real time, hurrying and running trying to find a hiding spot. its even more scary when the crazed fool finds you.

i do want to try condemed, looks fun where u can pick up anything and smash stuff with it.

I must be special, but I thought that the Ravenholm level of HL2 was way scarier and creepier than any part of doom 3. I never want to fight another fast zombie again.

MatDef said:
I must be special, but I thought that the Ravenholm level of HL2 was way scarier and creepier than any part of doom 3. I never want to fight another fast zombie again.

ye, the Ravenholm sequence was pretty creepy, even made me jump at times, but that sequence ended pretty quickly tho...

Doom 3, for me neway, was more intense

MatDef said:

Ravenholm was so eerie....I HATE the crabs and those black-spider crabs!

*shudders*

I dont get the whole hoopla over ravenholm slow moving zombies (if you could call them zombies) dont scare me.

Yeah, Ravelholm gave me the creeps. You had headcrabs jumping out at you and every corner you turn you see a zombie limping towards you. Then you walk out this house and you hear the fast zombies howling and one just runs up to you and he's harder to kill than anything else you've had to fight so far and you don't feel it's necessary to unload a whole clip on him until he gets to you and claws and moans and all.

I thought the scariest part in Ravenholm was when you walk out and these explosive barrels roll off a roof and there's this spinning blade except it grinds to a halt afterwards. That section was scary...

Y'all don't know.

The scariest part(s) in Ravenholm were the ones where you meet Father Gregori talking to himself and the zombies. That guy freaked me out, he's tons scarier than any other good guy. Anyone ever wonder how in the f'in world he even got his ass down there? Jebus. Thinking about it gives me chills. :eek:

What about Call Of Cthulhu? The whole insanity factor of your character losing his mind , all of the random rambling about how he wants to die. Wild story and very creepy too , I had a blast with this one.

spider solitaire ...with the lights out ...and the monitor off

err ..maybe not

I'll have to give Thief III a go again ..or the Silent Hill series or the new condemned game ..

Doom 3 made me jump a couple times from being surprised ..but I didnt ever find it scary

F.E.A.R. made me jump as well first time I ran into those ninja dudes ..was wondering how the heck I was losing health out of nowhere ..and other time when in dream like state and Alma coming at you and you have to shoot her 50 million times as she is rushing you

Undying .. didnt find scary at all .. got bored with it in later levels and stopped playing

Ravenholm was an odd place , but didnt find it scary .. jumped once from a zombie popping up on me when I thought it was a clear shot to way out

AvsP 2 .. that was intense tho playing as a marine and seeing/hearing your little radar beeping knowing that your getting swarmed with aliens ..yet you dont know if they are above you , or below ... you just on edge knowing that they are there ..somewhere ..lol
captured the essence of the sequel Aliens pretty good I thought

Thief ..that had some odd levels to it ..a bit unsettling at times

[F]old|[H]ard

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins anyone?

That is the only game that was able to actually make me jump repeatedly. Otherwise there was nothing that was really scary. Most games are so predictable.

Resident Evil 1 freaked me out the first time I played it. With the dogs jumping through the windows, totally didn't expect that.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 were mind-blowingly scary to me. When I was playin the third one I had to take breaks because my nerves would get shot from being tense for so long. Also I agree with people that Undying was a very scary pc game. I remember those ghosts scarin the shit out of me a few times. I think Resident Evil 4 is the best for tension fear though. When you hear that chainsaw blaring and you have no idea where its comin from, you sweat a bit.

Raven Shield MP, you and only one other guy on the other team left. That's the only game that's actually made me jump backwards.

MrSatan said:
Silent Hill 2 and 3 were mind-blowingly scary to me. When I was playin the third one I had to take breaks because my nerves would get shot from being tense for so long. Also I agree with people that Undying was a very scary pc game. I remember those ghosts scarin the shit out of me a few times. I think Resident Evil 4 is the best for tension fear though. When you hear that chainsaw blaring and you have no idea where its comin from, you sweat a bit.

I know that the way graphics are taken for realism is relative to when the games were released, but could i still buy those two games today and still be creeped out?

1st Skarj encounter in Unreal ... you know, where the lights go out sequentially in the corridor? To this day that segment still sends a shiver up my spine.

Khaydarin said:
I know that the way graphics are taken for realism is relative to when the games were released, but could i still buy those two games today and still be creeped out?

Definately, I re-played Silent Hill 1 last month and I still freaked out.

Back