Scary Games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by cnick79, Dec 11, 2005.

1. cnick79

cnick79 [H]ard|Gawd

I see several people mention system shock 2. Where can you purchase this game now? It seems like it is not made anymore.

2. Polish Ninja

Polish Ninja Limp Gawd

Fatal Frame 2 & 3 are the scariest games ever.

3. wahoyaho

wahoyaho Gawd

I know playing enough Doom 3 will make it repetitive and you won't jump at monsters coming out of corners anymore but I just can't get myself past the phase of jumping at the monsters coming out of corners :D

4. KidzMD

KidzMD Limp Gawd

Ebay is probably your best bet.

Once you pick it up, go here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

and here:

http://texturemod.wz.cz/

to get updated, higher-rez texture packs for it. Will be well worth your while :)

and I also vote SS2 for scariest game. Damn fast zombies...

5. neokeelo

neokeelo [H]ard|Gawd

System Shock 2
    Clive Barkers Undying
    Silent Hill 2
    Doom (back in the day)

Corridor 7 ( anyone know what im talking about ? big eyeballs and purple aliens ) :D
    Body Count (old fps)

6. ryuen

ryuen Limp Gawd

F.E.A.R recently but the all time scariest game for me was the first Alone in the dark back when it was released.

7. Hupo

Hupo [H]ard|Gawd

8. Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows 2[H]4U

QFT

9. Baredor

Baredor Gawd

NES - Friday the 13th

I was 8 years old and terrified to go around any corner in a house. Good times.

10. Karafias

Karafias Limp Gawd

Off the top of my head, Fear and Doom3.

Fear had some pretty well done scary moments, that little girl gave me a heart attack one or twice. Doom3 scared me pretty well at the start, though most of the scare factor was probably due to me having it at the hardest difficulty. I suck pretty bad at most FPS games, so I was literally terrified of dying :p. I almost *never* play on the hardest difficulty on a shooter, and I had avoided all knowledge on the game before I played it, so it was a new (and scary) experience for me. Then the game got kinda boring and the scare factor wore off... but it was fun while it lasted.

For me, games have the potential to be a lot scarier/funner than a movie. Movies tend to follow a fairly simple formula: kill everyone, especially the interesting people. It's hard to start caring about a character when you know it's going to die, anyway. Also, nothing that happens in the movie has any remote effect on you. Guy gets turned into spaghetti with a chainsaw? Who cares? Now, in a game, that guy with a chainsaw becomes much more interesting. Particularly if you are out of ammo and he is headed right at you. Movies are too 3rd-person for me. I don't ever think I've watched a movie that really scared me. Sadly, most games that try to be scary fail badly. I think the problem with scary games is that they need to:

1. Look really good. If you can't believe what you see, you can't be afraid of it. Oh noes, attack of the poorly rendered pixels?

2. Be immersive. Much more so than other genres of games. The sound, light, characters, etc all need to fit well together.

3. Have a decent plot. This is usually the weakest link in games :p

Which is why most scary games aren't so scary.

I think my best scared-out-of-my-pants moment was while I was playing RTCW, funnily enough. I played the demo for it when it first came out, but never finished it because it looked like yet another generic WW2 FPS. So I got to play it at a friends house later, at a level beyond what I had done in the demo. Things were going fine, I had just killed some Nazis and was walking down a corridor. Out of nowhere, two zombies leap out of a wall and start kicking my ass. Completely taken off guard, I mash all the wrong buttons and nearly get myself killed. I finally get my gun out and start shooting, but they seem to be impervious to my ammo and continue to advance on me. Now I'm trapped in a corner with 2hp and I'm almost out of ammo. I stop and think long enough to realize they are carrying shields, which I can't damage. So I shoot them in the head, and they die pretty easily. It was scary because it was totally unexpected. I thought I was playing a pretty standard WW2 FPS single player, and all I would encounter would be Nazis. Honestly, my heart almost stopped when they first jumped out out at me. My chest ached for hours afterward :p

11. Deque

Deque Limp Gawd

Agreed. I'm surprised that it isn't mentioned more often. Maybe people haven't played it? It has one of the best storylines I've seen in a game, and it scared the crap out of me. I didn't realize they even made a third one, but I did enjoy the first two.

12. nemesis27

nemesis27 Limp Gawd

Word...absoloutly one of the scariest I've played as well. Surround sound in a windowless basement, up for 24+ hrs w/no sleep added to the effect as well lol.

Fatal Frame also has my close second or tied with Silent Hill.

13. XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM My User Name Is Stoopid

14. prtzlboy

prtzlboy [H]ard|Gawd

system shock 2
    clock tower
    AvP

The marine levels in AvP2 are awesome

15. johnnq

johnnq [H]ard|Gawd

the first diablo and doom are scary if played in the dark...alone

16. PlatinumFX

PlatinumFX n00b

Alien vs Predator 2 gets my vote.

Also some levels on Unreal were pretty scary. In particular theres a level where your onboard the Skaarj ship, and you've killed the power. Lights out!

17. Baredor

Baredor Gawd

I remember playing the Diablo demo way back when. The Butcher guy scared me. :D

18. Mr.Tundra

Mr.Tundra n00b

Far Cry anyone? Parts of that game got pretty scary, like the catacombs level :eek:

19. mrbay

mrbay Limp Gawd

lol i remember the butcher in diablo, he kinda looked like a pig and moved hella fast... and damn, he was scary now that i think of it, as were the rest of the demonic creatures that could be found deeper in the never ending dungeon

20. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

I'd have to say Doom 3, and more recently Condemned. Both games do an incredible job of creating a horror based atmosphere that can really get your heart pounding.

21. deathstar550

deathstar550 Limp Gawd

QFFT.

I think Parasite Eve 2 deserves some mention for its crazy looking mutants. What were those monsters called -- the things that looked like horses but had human faces? And the wailing babies that would crawl towards you from out of nowhere and explode? Ack. Downright creepy stuff.

22. mrbay

mrbay Limp Gawd

Honestly though, I can't wait to play a shit-your-pants horror game that has a story that's equivilent to its graphics.

23. Thuleman

Thuleman [H]ardness Supreme

Undying was seriously scary, nothing comes close imo.

F.E.A.R. didn't scare me at all, I guess I just knew what to expect since I watched the bonus features before playing the game.

24. papito_85

papito_85 [H]Lite

Same here.

25. Wildace

Wildace [H]ardness Supreme

what ever happened to the parasite eve series i really liked the second one i use to play that game non stop unlocking all the bonus crap. it was a blast

26. Bogus

Bogus n00b

F.E.A.R. i had to stop playing it cuz i kept jumping and it was too hard to concentrate on shooting and then seeing freaking dead babies run across a doorway really fast.

27. Frosteh

Frosteh 2[H]4U

QFT

One of the scariest things I've ever played.

FEAR didn't scare me as in making me jump, but it sent chills down my spine on several occasions, can feel your body injecting adrenaline straight into your blood stream with that one....Stupid little girls...

Doom3 made me jump a fair bit

28. Z(+)DIAC

Z(+)DIAC 2[H]4U

I seriously have no idea how some of you thinkg FEAR was all that "scary". Then again I found it to be a mundane game, at least past the advanced AI.

Like I said, System Shock 2 all the way.

29. Frosteh

Frosteh 2[H]4U

Oh yeah, Condemned Criminal Origins, totaly forgot about that!

I never played it, I played the demo through and thought it was pretty damn scary and really well made.

My brother got the full game and I actually watched him play it all the way through (in 2 sittings) which was really cool because it was almost like a long movie, since he's good at games he didn't need to load much so it was a decent cinematic experience to watch.

Some freaky stuff in that game though, one of the better games I've seen so far this year, and with probably the least press too.

30. spicey

spicey [H]ardness Supreme

Another vote for Condemned - Criminal Origins. This game throughout is creepy and scary. Never do you feel settled. Combat is brutal and the game has a Se7en-ish feel to it (it's sick!). I jumped out of my chair on more than a few occasions.

31. Banko

Banko Gawd

Yup I agree. Undying was seriously the only game that has ever managed to scare me.

32. TheCowOfNow

TheCowOfNow Assault then RUN AWAY!

Yea, this game was really frightening. Also Resident Evil 2 freaked me out a bit, lots of jumping.

33. Yiffy

Yiffy [H]ard|Gawd

I had a dream about that god forsaken mission one time.

I hated it when you were like trying to pick a 6 tumbler lock and the electric light above you would begin to flicker... oh shit...

34. Khaydarin

Khaydarin 2[H]4U

Back in the day, the Sewer level on Shadows of the Empire creeped the crap out of me. The creatures with tentacles that lurk in the water.... the graphics were bad enough that you couldnt see them through the murky water, and you'd hear them on the poor "stereo" sound on the tv - but couldnt see them until they apeared in the screen.

OMG it scared me to death. I never finished the level, and cheated past it. The only time I "beat" it was going through it with a friend at night.

More recently, FEAR scared me alot. Mostly because of the girl, and the way she occassionally scampers towards you. Overall I loved that game.

Good stuff.

35. TheGamerZ

TheGamerZ [H]ardness Supreme

Clive Barker's Undying...

I still refuse to play that game to this day.

36. burnbomb

burnbomb n00b

JESUS CHRIST YES.

Man, I hated it every time I accidentally alerted one of the monsters and they'd come screaming over to me. Having headphones on during that point is a bad, bad idea.

37. Hackmeat

Hackmeat Hackmeat? WTF is Hackmeat? Some sort of hog's h

Another vote for F.E.A.R. here.

38. johnnq

johnnq [H]ard|Gawd

after looking at screenshots from games in this thread, undying and silent hill look really creepy and have a weird yet realistic atmosphere. downloding demos now :)

same with Realms of the Haunting but i don't feel like getting it to work...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

something just looks realistic and creepy there...

this one too :)
    [​IMG]
    and to prove my points about diablo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and that's just the artwork ;)

39. digitalman

digitalman 2[H]4U

Agreed

40. supaaa

supaaa n00b

F.E.A.R ` you have to turn the volume up a good amount so you could hear the background noise, plus a 2.1 or 5.1 speaker just make it so much better.

man, i hate it when they have a little girl. they always freak me out with their pale faces and long hair.