Say Hi to the bad guy. XFX AMD 390 pictured.

AMD NEEDS a great launch with no rebranding video cards.

The sad thing is, when nVidia does exactly what you described... it generally doesn't affect their market share one bit.

The sad thing is, when nVidia does exactly what you described... it generally doesn't affect their market share one bit.
Nvidia has never rebranded as much as AMD did, or as much as AMD is rumored to do with the 300 series. Sure, Nvidia kept some of their old cards when they launched the 970/980 but that was over 6 months ago.

If AMD launches two Fijis and re-brands everything else, I will be incredibly disappointed. I would tolerate a massive Hawaii overhaul, though. It will be a real shame if they take the 290 and 290X and simply put a new sticker on them (and change the core name to "Grenada").

If they bring back Bonaire, Pitcairn, and Hawaii in their original states as the 360/370/380 I will never buy another AMD product again and I will happily watch them crash and burn into bankruptcy. It's embarrassing and shameful that we would wait this long for new stickers. And no matter what excuses this community makes, or AMD makes, I refuse to support that crap.

I bought my 280X in March of last year as a transitional card and I'm already upset that I had to wait this long.

If they bring back Bonaire, Pitcairn, and Hawaii in their original states as the 360/370/380 I will never buy another AMD product again and I will happily watch them crash and burn into bankruptcy. It's embarrassing and shameful that we would wait this long for new stickers. And no matter what excuses this community makes, or AMD makes, I refuse to support that crap.

I bought my 280X in March of last year as a transitional card and I'm already upset that I had to wait this long.

So, what should they do with the leftover ASICs? Just throw them out? That will force them into bankruptcy faster than people not buying the new cards.

So, what should they do with the leftover ASICs? Just throw them out? That will force them into bankruptcy faster than people not buying the new cards.
Keep selling them as 290X's? That leaves the 380 and 380X open for something "new".
That's what Nvidia does. Nothing wrong with it.

The 270x is a rebadged 7870 that costs more and uses more power than a 750 ti. It also lacks a lot of features being based on such an old chip. Of course people will buy the newer and better technology. Not to mention it's slower than a 760/960.

The problem with AMD is not some tinfoil hat theory that every review site is against them. The problem is they are using old outdated chips that are pushed to their limits to get fps, but severely lack the features and quality of the competition. You can attach a rocket to an old rusty station wagon to make it go faster, but still no one will buy it.

I gurantee the 390x won't save AMD or even help it a little. We are at the end of the 28nm era. If they want to pull themselves out of the fire they need to compete at the next level.

nVidia is the one that hangs on to old tech. Enjoy your high latency GDDR5 while AMD will be rocking HBM for over a year before nVidia catches up to their current tech. While you're at it you can continue to pay more for everything "Team Green". Enjoy paying through the nose for variable refresh and $1000 for a graphics card. A plain ordinary everyday gaming card with old school tech... $1000 dollars! lol

8800GT/8800GTS 512/9800GTX/GTS 250

And people kept buying Nvidia cards...
That's one GPU from ~2009, and at least there was a die shrink in the middle.
If Nvidia was still repeating that practice, obviously I would be complaining about it.

AMD rebranded the entire 200 series except the 290 and 290X.
They're going to try to do it *again* except for the 390 and 390X. About half of them being the same GPU's as last time.

It's gone on too long.

If Nvidia was still repeating that practice, obviously I would be complaining about it.

They're going to try to do it *again* except for the 390 and 390X. About half of them being the same GPU's as last time.

It's gone on too long.

There were 3 new GPU's in the 200 series. You need to take a step back and rad a bit b4 posting.

You mean Tonga? The thing that came out in September -- a year after the rest of the 200 series -- and is even more worthless than the GTX 960?

I hear AMD still has high hopes to someday sell even one 285.

You mean Tonga? The thing that came out in September -- a year after the rest of the 200 series -- and is even more worthless than the GTX 960?

Hilarious. But from the guy who wants them to go under, not surprising. I really don't understand why you would want that or how any of us would benefit from that.

It's gone on too long.

LoL. Nvidia has done as much, if not more, rebranding than AMD.
Do you not watch the lowend market? Both companies rebrand like crazy there, first it was the 64bit and now it is the 128bit. There is only so much performance you can squeeze out of a pad limited die when you don't have a new process every year. Where is GM208/207?

Hell Nvidia rebranded a FERMI chip a year ago... It was 3 years old at the time.

LoL. AMD was moving crazy quantities of Tonga.
It was simply going to other markets.

its almost a reasonably good business practice to re brand all the new models from current line up if they made at least some tangible improvement aside from changing just the stickers and roms...obviously we and AMD could use some completely new hardware right now with nothing to compete with 980's and titan x's....but yea they took the dam rebrand shit way to far last go round and hard to figure missed profits they could have had if only they had anything new

nVidia is the one that hangs on to old tech. Enjoy your high latency GDDR5 while AMD will be rocking HBM for over a year before nVidia catches up to their current tech. While you're at it you can continue to pay more for everything "Team Green". Enjoy paying through the nose for variable refresh and $1000 for a graphics card. A plain ordinary everyday gaming card with old school tech... $1000 dollars! lol

You mean AMD's 2.5D memory and 28nm chip vs. NVIDIA's 3D memory and 16nm chip? AMD may as well add a few vacuum tubes.

You mean AMD's 2.5D memory and 28nm chip vs. NVIDIA's 3D memory and 16nm chip? AMD may as well add a few vacuum tubes.
Oh sure, Nvidia can take a year after AMD to bring HBM to market and it's perfectly fine. Yet AMD takes a year to bring Fiji to market after Maxwell and they're the worst company ever.

I saw some articles about HBM a few weeks ago and they were all talking about how amazing Pascal was going to be, not even a single mention of the new AMD cards. Truly shameful. We've reached the point where AMD and Nvidia can do the exact same things and Nvidia gets praised for them while AMD gets shit on for them. Please remember it's a two-way street.

Oh sure, Nvidia can take a year after AMD to bring HBM to market and it's perfectly fine. Yet AMD takes a year to bring Fiji to market after Maxwell and they're the worst company ever.

I saw some articles about HBM a few weeks ago and they were all talking about how amazing Pascal was going to be, not even a single mention of the new AMD cards. Truly shameful. We've reached the point where AMD and Nvidia can do the exact same things and Nvidia gets praised for them while AMD gets shit on for them. Please remember it's a two-way street.

Probably because AMD hasn't released much info about the R390X rather than them playing favorites. AMD is rightfully afraid of any details leaking and NVIDIA getting wind of it because it would probably seal their fate.

AMD is rightfully afraid of any details leaking and NVIDIA getting wind of it because it would probably seal their fate.

Nvidia got gifted tens of thousands of internal AMD documents a few years back, pretty sure they have a decent idea on what they are facing for the next 5-8 years.

Last edited:
jesus christ what in the fuck just happened

Still believe it's an R9 390, and there's no way you could convince me it's an R9 380. Either R9 390, or R8 380. There, stayed on topic. :D

jesus christ what in the fuck just happened

Still believe it's an R9 390, and there's no way you could convince me it's an R9 380. Either R9 390, or R8 380. There, stayed on topic. :D

(Imagine that GIF with the guy clapping), I do agree it is an R9 390 don't know how any one thought it was a 380. The old crt monitors could stand to be upgraded lol.

To bad this bad boy has no official release, regardless of when it comes out I am waiting for 16nm or 14nm. This 28nm process is to old for me :p

Even wccf updated it's story to say it's most likely Hawaii based

http://wccftech.com/xfx-radeon-r9-390-double-dissipation-allegedly-pictured/

WCCFTech said:
The graphics card shares the reference Radeon R9 290X PCB which suggests this is a rebranded Hawaii core which will be placed in a competitive price range since Hawaii has a lot of muscle left to stretch out on 4K gaming

Please don't tell me they based it off of this...

But really, I'm not sure how anyone could say with confidence that the leaked card shares the 290X's reference PCB just going by those 2 pics.

But really, I'm not sure how anyone could say with confidence that the leaked card shares the 290X's reference PCB just going by those 2 pics.

Well the biggest proof is what isn't on the pictures - if you had new revolutionary card with HBM in your hands would you make only a picture of front and not of the back of card ?

Picture, shmicture. I can't use that picture to play games. For that, I need a real card. AMD has to release it sometime...

The edge-on shot looks like there's white thermal pads for the RAM chips on the heat spreader to me. Two long white bits like the 290x where there's two white thermal pads covering 4 RAM chips. Either the 390 won't have the 3D memory or it's a fake. I'm personally learning toward it being a fake picture.

Just wondering if these accusations were ever proven?

Yes, since the defendants admitted to downloading the documents to their own personal devices and retaining them after they left the company.
Edit- Clarifying that I am saying yes to the fact that the documents were "stolen" by these employees, not about any of the other accusations.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think we really just need a die shrink for most of these video cards. a 4 year old 7970 is still seeing significant gains due to driver optimizations.

Honestly, I think we really just need a die shrink for most of these video cards. a 4 year old 7970 is still seeing significant gains due to driver optimizations.

Indeed, GCN really seems to be working well for AMD. And not only the continuing support for older products, but the constant optimizations is most welcome. The 7970 is leagues above what it was even just a couple years ago.

Well the biggest proof is what isn't on the pictures - if you had new revolutionary card with HBM in your hands would you make only a picture of front and not of the back of card ?

Actually I'd probably make a die shot more than anything else, since it'll be unlike anything we've seen before.

Anyway yes that is a bit suspicious, but still not enough to say it's a 290X ref board. Don't get me wrong I have my doubts about this leak as well, I'm just saying it's impossible to say with any certainty what it could be based on, if this is a photoshop or a plain fake.

The first thing I noticed was an actual dedicated VRM heatsink. Thankfully XFX seems to have learned from their mistakes with the 290/290x VRMs. Sadly I own one of those 290s lol...

The gold is hideous but besides that it's not bad lookig.

Back