Say Hi to the bad guy. XFX AMD 390 pictured.

I made an analysis of the picture and ran it through some fancy algos and filters:

OUG81Gp.jpg

Fake. There is no GTX 986 Ti. Or is that a zero? Even more enhancing is clearly required.

I made an analysis of the picture and ran it through some fancy algos and filters:

OUG81Gp.jpg

it's a Fiji card. (380 Pro or 380X)

a 390 card has not even been made internally yet. OP should update thread title accordingly.

also image might be fake, because new cards only have DP/HDMI ports.

it's a Fiji card. (380 Pro or 380X)

a 390 card has not even been made internally yet. OP should update thread title accordingly.

also image might be fake, because new cards only have DP/HDMI ports.

Really. AMD is doing away with DVI in the 390 range.

Really. AMD is doing away with DVI in the 390 range.

yes, this is correct. already confirmed new cards have no DVI ports. also PCI power connectors have 8+8 pin.

pic is fake, probably a shopped pic of a Hawaii card.

I can't believe we're still mulling over 380 vs 390. Who fucking cares. Without actual specs or performance data this leak is next to useless.

You won't see it.

Also even if they drop dvi they can still create cards without the connector, very easily at that.

That was kinda my point, there is no confirmation they are doing away with DVI.

Just a bunch of people running around claiming their hair is on fire...

heard it's June that AMD cards with HBM will come out, some say it's August,
don't know the correct version. think I'll buy a 980 instead of 390 or 380 if AMD delays
so much...

heard it's June that AMD cards with HBM will come out, some say it's August,
don't know the correct version. think I'll buy a 980 instead of 390 or 380 if AMD delays
so much...

There are no delays. How can you have delays with no announced release date?

You are totally right. Even the Computex reveal is a rumor. Before the Computex rumor the new cards were going to be released at CeBIT in March.

I have been going around saying Computex like it was a "set in stone" fact. Unfortunately these cards will come out when ever AMD gets its head out of its ass. That may take longer than we would like to wait. :mad:

You are totally right. Even the Computex reveal is a rumor. Before the Computex rumor the new cards were going to be released at CeBIT in March.

I have been going around saying Computex like it was a "set in stone" fact. Unfortunately these cards will come out when ever AMD gets its head out of its ass. That may take longer than we would like to wait. :mad:

haha I almost hate to say it, but the current "RUMOR" is that they over produced a product that they were able to get the OEM's to buy into resulting in them waiting on releasing a new product in the hopes the OEM's can recoup.

Buyable rumor but its still just a rumor.

And that's why they have no announced release date... Cause they have no fvcking idea!!

Haha they probably did want to release by now but hit some road blocks!

haha I almost hate to say it, but the current "RUMOR" is that they over produced a product that they were able to get the OEM's to buy into resulting in them waiting on releasing a new product in the hopes the OEM's can recoup.

Buyable rumor but its still just a rumor.

Haha they probably did want to release by now but hit some road blocks!

And yet the other popular rumor for some, is that all but Fiji are rebrands.
Why do you need to clear the inventory from the channel if you are rebranding existing inventory?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Basically the loudest sites are the ones that don't have a clue.

Sorry I think I started the clearing inventory "rumor".

In my defense they are indeed clearing inventory, and if you read AMD's 2014 Q4 earnings call transcript, Lisa Su even says as much. However as Lord pointed out, most of the inventory Lisa Su is referring to is APUs, not GPUs as I previously thought.

Sorry I think I started the clearing inventory "rumor".

In my defense they are indeed clearing inventory, and if you read AMD's 2014 Q4 earnings call transcript, Lisa Su even says as much. However as Lord pointed out, most of the inventory Lisa Su is referring to is APUs, not GPUs as I previously thought.

I didn't mean to rumor monger, I was just bringing up conversation.

But APUs are sitting in channels not being moved, mainly because OEM's have zero demand for them. But the Radeon GPU's are sitting in channels now as well, those can be repurposed much easier than APU's and I don't really think that is the reason its taking so long to release Fiji.

And yet the other popular rumor for some, is that all but Fiji are rebrands.
Why do you need to clear the inventory from the channel if you are rebranding existing inventory?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Basically the loudest sites are the ones that don't have a clue.

Meh, I try not to take anything personally. Rumors are fun to speculate on as long as you don't draw conclusions from them.

don't know what is the problem with AMD... why don't they give gamers a date to wait?
if they don't want gamers to buy NV's cards, they should give a release date at least.

don't know what is the problem with AMD... why don't they give gamers a date to wait?
if they don't want gamers to buy NV's cards, they should give a release date at least.

I don't mind waiting if it makes AMD make sure they get a proper launch.

No Reference horrible coolers. No throttling (or saying "up" to 1ghz speed).

They need to have a great launch, with no heat problems, with no horrible coolers, and with great performance.

AMD Shot themselves in the foot over the 290/290x launch. I mean you see people buying a 750TI over a 270x, even if the 270x is around 60-70% faster.

Or [H] saying a 960 GTX is better then a 280x, even though its slower, has less memory bandwidth, AND less memory.

This is only a few of the reasons AMD isn't selling well. The whole entire 200 series got a bad rap because of the 290/290x launch (rebranding cards) and AMD is now feeling that horrible launch they did.

AMD NEEDS a great launch with no rebranding video cards.

AMD Shot themselves in the foot over the 290/290x launch. I mean you see people buying a 750TI over a 270x, even if the 270x is around 60-70% faster.

The 270x is a rebadged 7870 that costs more and uses more power than a 750 ti. It also lacks a lot of features being based on such an old chip. Of course people will buy the newer and better technology. Not to mention it's slower than a 760/960.

The problem with AMD is not some tinfoil hat theory that every review site is against them. The problem is they are using old outdated chips that are pushed to their limits to get fps, but severely lack the features and quality of the competition. You can attach a rocket to an old rusty station wagon to make it go faster, but still no one will buy it.

I gurantee the 390x won't save AMD or even help it a little. We are at the end of the 28nm era. If they want to pull themselves out of the fire they need to compete at the next level.

Implying people would sacrifice up to 70% performance to drop from the ~120W 270X to the ~60W 750 Ti?
That's the kind of shit people on websites like this one pretend are the problem because they need something on a spec sheet to point to.

The real problem with AMD is that they're not Nvidia.
People are buying the 750 Ti because it says Nvidia. And shit like this. Nvidia has spent 10+ years hyping their brand, especially successful in the last 3-5 years, since the GTX 580 at least.

Publicity hype and brand recognition are way more important than spec sheets.
The 750 Ti appeals to anyone running pre-built PC's with generic 200W PSU's and no PCI-E connectors. It doesn't appeal to anyone else. The 270X will run on a $19 CX430 or whatever other low budget PSU people are buying these days.

Until it is known where they are in the development cycle, it is pointless saying what they should do.

Its possible they have a problem that is tough to fix or are pushing the ragged edge to get the most and they are taking as long as they dare to get the best performance/yield.
Announcing a release date would cause unnecessary pressure on those that need to keep their minds free from undue stress.

Lisa Su is an engineer, so I would expect her to be a perfectionist about her first launch. The new server APUs coming in 2016 that Jim Keller is developing are going to be key also. I would expect those to have a microscope on them from her also. She is one smart CEO and I would find it hard for anyone at AMD to pull a fast one on her.

Lisa Su is an engineer, so I would expect her to be a perfectionist about her first launch. The new server APUs coming in 2016 that Jim Keller is developing are going to be key also. I would expect those to have a microscope on them from her also. She is one smart CEO and I would find it hard for anyone at AMD to pull a fast one on her.

This is where they should of released their APU's to begin with! All in one compute units? holy server farms! We would of never had that atrocious ARM experiment. They probably would of landed the iMac mini contract.

LOL! This is by definition playing with fire. They've done this in the past and got burned hard for it! Its worse to announce a date and not hit it then not announce a date and be late to the game. ;)

You mean that 390 that was going be getting an official press release in January lol. Amd fails to capitalize on any opportunity they can take advantage of to gain market share. They have horrendous consumer relations so it shouldn't come as a surprise...just look at their official driver release pattern...wait 6 months for an official driver while Nvidia release a new official one optimized for practically every new game.

Implying people would sacrifice up to 70% performance to drop from the ~120W 270X to the ~60W 750 Ti?
That's the kind of shit people on websites like this one pretend are the problem because they need something on a spec sheet to point to.

The real problem with AMD is that they're not Nvidia.
People are buying the 750 Ti because it says Nvidia. And shit like this. Nvidia has spent 10+ years hyping their brand, especially successful in the last 3-5 years, since the GTX 580 at least.

Publicity hype and brand recognition are way more important than spec sheets.
The 750 Ti appeals to anyone running pre-built PC's with generic 200W PSU's and no PCI-E connectors. It doesn't appeal to anyone else. The 270X will run on a $19 CX430 or whatever other low budget PSU people are buying these days.

:rolleyes: Really. I bought a 750Ti for many reasons, small case, low noise, low power and great performance. Older games and many of the new games play great on it. Others have their own reasons. Also have a 860M (750Ti) in my laptop which is awesome for what it gives in my Ultra thin notebook, which plays even some newer games like the New Order on all Ultra settings smooth as butter.

I also believe AMD needs to have better well thought out launches as well. The 7970 launch was held back by dismal drivers limiting the true potential of the card plus the card was so underclocked from where it should have been making it look not much better than the previous generation from Nvidia. So when the mid-level Nvidia chip came out in the 680 at a lower cost had better performance it was egg on face even though the ghz edition (a more properly clockd 7970) with better drivers outperformed it but the damage was done.

The 290/290x with a card that limited it performance due to throttling and bios setup allowing almost full potential not used with the dual bios was just plain retarded. An Enthusiast would wait or go elsewhere hearing or seeing this. Then the 290/290x had some awesome improvements that was not pushed to the fore front.

AMD Mantle was awesome then turn the page AMD pulls it in support and gives DX12 and Vulkan the go ahead to dice and slice Mantle as needed. Ok that maybe nice if both of these gives some good fruit which DX12 looks to be promising. So if some spent some time and money into Mantle which is now discontinued and tid bits may or may not be in other API's where does that leave your efforts? Will AMD support Mantle in future drivers? Was the time wasted?

He also put a bunch of crazy filters on it.
Zoom in on the original image, it's a 9. If you need more evidence, it looks identical to the other 9 in "R9".

I also believe AMD needs to have better well thought out launches as well. The 7970 launch was held back by dismal drivers limiting the true potential of the card plus the card was so underclocked from where it should have been making it look not much better than the previous generation from Nvidia. So when the mid-level Nvidia chip came out in the 680 at a lower cost had better performance it was egg on face even though the ghz edition (a more properly clockd 7970) with better drivers outperformed it but the damage was done.

The 290/290x with a card that limited it performance due to throttling and bios setup allowing almost full potential not used with the dual bios was just plain retarded. An Enthusiast would wait or go elsewhere hearing or seeing this. Then the 290/290x had some awesome improvements that was not pushed to the fore front.

AMD Mantle was awesome then turn the page AMD pulls it in support and gives DX12 and Vulkan the go ahead to dice and slice Mantle as needed. Ok that maybe nice if both of these gives some good fruit which DX12 looks to be promising. So if some spent some time and money into Mantle which is now discontinued and tid bits may or may not be in other API's where does that leave your efforts? Will AMD support Mantle in future drivers? Was the time wasted?

20-30% better than GTX580.
Tahiti was their first GPU on 28nm, clocks weren't pushed due to high variance.
7970 vs GTX680 was Midrange vs Midrange or Highend vs Highend (for the time). They went head to head and were similarly sized, for one of them lacking compute.

So a big deal was made of Hawaii throttling, all the GK110 cards also throttled at times too. Too bad you didn't hear much about it for some reason...
A true enthusiast would see the potential in a card like Hawaii and get it to fly. That is what a lot of gamers and modders did.

Last edited:
So a big deal was made of Hawaii throttling, all the GK110 cards also throttled at times too. Too bad you didn't hear much about it for some reason...
A true enthusiast would see the potential in a card like Hawaii and get it to fly. That is what a lot of gamers and modders did.

Yup, that was just counter marketing from nvidia.

Back