Say Hi to the bad guy. XFX AMD 390 pictured.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
http://wccftech.com/xfx-radeon-r9-390-double-dissipation-allegedly-pictured/

XFX 390 in gold trim.

zziA5ME.jpg

bHEAO4H.jpg

So they made the shroud pointlessly longer and non-asymetrical simply to fit their logo and the triangle pattern design...

Gold and Black I heard is in... I forget where even ASUS adopted the color scheme for there last two gens of Intel motherboards.

Last edited:
XFX has always had poor taste in color/shroud designs. Although this isn't the worst looking one .. its wayyy far from being the best looking. :p

I didn't notice the back half of the heatsink had a smaller z-axix than the front half so that could be it. Although I believe the current 290/290x design also has the shroud oversized as well. Although hopefully some underlying improvements.

The shroud being more open may help the VRM temperatures though since I believe some users had success ghetto modding improvements via cutting parts of the shroud?

Personally I think the heatsink and cooler is ugly looking. But as long as the performance is up there, then that is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Nice pic.

As for the shroud/fan aesthetics, personally, I've stopped buying monitors. I buy beautiful components, lighting, and cases in which to show them off. Then, I put the case on my desk where my (expensive) monitors used to sit. That way I can stare at the inside of my machine instead being distracted by flickering pixels. ;)

Meaning, I don't care what it looks like. Once it's inside my case, I won't see it again until the dust gets so thick I can't even see it anyway.

But that's why the free market works so well. (When it's given a chance...)

Ken

Ditto. I usually spend most of my time looking at what's on the monitor, not what's inside the case.

These pictures are rather pointless seeing as we can't see the card at all, it's just pictures of a (rather iffy looking) cooler. They could just as easily be fake, but it doesn't even matter. Still can't see anything.

Very thin looking card, and not that many fins visible from the heatsink(s?). Also only using a 8+6 pin configuration.

Interesting.

Does anyone have the Chinese source?
WCCF isn't linking it.

Here's what the 280X looked like, notice this "390" is missing the cover attached to the PCB-side of the cooler.
Also the branding has been moved to a different side. So if it's fake, there was some effort involved.

suZ79z5.jpg

Last edited:
the rebrand rumor was replace a while ago with all new.

However, the original rebrand rumor was 390/x new, and 380/x rebranded 290/x

If two of these can replace my Quad-CrossfireX setup and run 4K stuff, this fool and his money will soon be parted.

It's more likely an engineering sample because the shroud looks too good to be fake.
The 390 also has a VRM heatsink, whereas the 290X just uses a flat plate across the entire PCB.

...and the diagonal vram chip seems to be missing indicating HBM.

I just wish the 390 or 980ti would happen soon before I cave on the Titan X.

I would imagine the final retail reference item to have a backplate, my reference 290x cards did.

This is kind of ugly, but it's in keeping with what XFX usually puts out.

... now i see it.. zoomed in even more.. they look the same.
im getten old :D

XFX has always had poor taste in color/shroud designs. Although this isn't the worst looking one .. its wayyy far from being the best looking. :p

it could be worse, it could be the bright ass yellow and green DFI uses on all their lanparty motherboards..

i do like the look of the card though but in the end doesn't matter since i've never owned nor will ever own a case with a view-through side panel since my computer always sits under my desk.

well, i can clearly see the "9" in the R9 but not the "3?0".
that graphic seems more like a nine, but how come the other 9 is so clear?

because you're eye sight sucks maybe, lol. ;) but no it's a 9, just the angle of the picture and shitty quality makes it harder to see but you can see the pixel gap in the line. if it was an 8 it would look just as clear as the zero next to it which isn't the case.

Last edited:
So, when was the last time we saw AMD release a GPU that wasn't a reference design at first? It usually takes awhile for manufacturers to get their own coolers and layouts. This looks nothing like an AMD based design and everything like an XFX based design. AMD historically likes the blower-to-the-back design. XFX is fond of the dump hot air into the case design.

Not buying it. My take? Probably an XFX card, but more in the variety of 290x with a few mods to make it look like a 390. Heck, I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to hack the firmware to say 390 and dump them on eBay to get a few suckers.

So, when was the last time we saw AMD release a GPU that wasn't a reference design at first? It usually takes awhile for manufacturers to get their own coolers and layouts. This looks nothing like an AMD based design and everything like an XFX based design. AMD historically likes the blower-to-the-back design. XFX is fond of the dump hot air into the case design.

Not buying it. My take? Probably an XFX card, but more in the variety of 290x with a few mods to make it look like a 390. Heck, I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to hack the firmware to say 390 and dump them on eBay to get a few suckers.
When was the last time we saw AMD release a GPU? :p
The 285 didn't have a reference launch.

It does have XFX stamped on the PCB by the PCI-E connectors, so that would mean it's not a "reference" AMD board. I guess it would be possible for XFX and other companies to be working on their own coolers/pcb designs if AMD really did delay the release of the 300 series to clear out the 200 series inventory. We could see some aftermarket designs on launch day.

There will be no reference cards aside from the 390X WCE.
AMD is giving up on blowers to save money. That's my prediction.

Back