Say Hi to the bad guy. XFX AMD 390 pictured.

"R9 390 Deus Ex Edition"

Seriously, it has the black/gold/triangles motif, might as well name it that. :p

For the people crying about how ugly it is...

How about you use your computer instead of just looking at it? Sheesh.

It's an engineering sample. The retail version is likely to be much better presented.

Looks like it might be legit. I can't see any RAM chips along the top where theres the gap in the heatsink fins - so could be HBM on there. A shot of the backside will be a dead giveaway - if there aren't any RAM chips on the board we should be able to tell from the lack of traces/caps on the back that would normally be used to wire the RAM.

Ugly? Of course, so wait until we see what Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte bring. I'm sure HIS will try to push something equally unappealing. And its not black and gold its blue and yellow. :D

Looks like it might be legit. I can't see any RAM chips along the top where theres the gap in the heatsink fins - so could be HBM on there. A shot of the backside will be a dead giveaway - if there aren't any RAM chips on the board we should be able to tell from the lack of traces/caps on the back that would normally be used to wire the RAM.

Ugly? Of course, so wait until we see what Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte bring. I'm sure HIS will try to push something equally unappealing. And its not black and gold its blue and yellow. :D
He didn't show the back or any parts of the PCB since it would be a dead giveaway that it's a 290X.
Seriously why post pics of the shroud but NOT the backside? There's no backplate, we could see everything.

He didn't show the back or any parts of the PCB since it would be a dead giveaway that it's a 290X.
Seriously why post pics of the shroud but NOT the backside? There's no backplate, we could see everything.

Yeah it could certainly be a fake someone put together just to stir up the forums. Anything less than a full teardown with naked die shots isn't good enough!

When has this forum become so Apple-fied?

Seeing how a card looks before you buy it?

Sorry, my windowless case doesn't give a fuck how something looks when installed.

When has this forum become so Apple-fied?

Seeing how a card looks before you buy it?

Sorry, my windowless case doesn't give a fuck how something looks when installed.
People will always find something to complain about.

It's been a while! The 290X was launched over 1.5 years ago on October 24, 2013, and the 295X2 began exactly a year ago yesterday, on April 8, 2014!

Don't forget the 285, which was their most recent release about 7 months ago.

Why do you think there are no back shots? Fake.

This^. The rumored time frame is June 2015 and if it is paper launch we may not have cards until July.

If they are holding off the launch until June, it won't be a paper launch...
I still have my doubts about June.

Lots of people have case windows and we'd rather not have something that looks like it was made for people who watch power rangers.

I'm tired of the Chinese gold fad in general. Motherboard and GPU heatsinks were already gaudy before they decided to bling everything out.

If you guys still think AMD will release a reference cooler after the R9 reference launch you'd be dead wrong. It seems the cards will have similar TDP but much much faster. AMD likely delayed the launch to get all of their partners on board with designing their own coolers to be sold on day one.

R9 launch for a few months was strictly reference, and a bad one at that. Cards that followed didnt have any issues the reference designs did. AMD wouldnt make the same mistake again.

If you guys still think AMD will release a reference cooler after the R9 reference launch you'd be dead wrong. It seems the cards will have similar TDP but much much faster. AMD likely delayed the launch to get all of their partners on board with designing their own coolers to be sold on day one.

R9 launch for a few months was strictly reference, and a bad one at that. Cards that followed didnt have any issues the reference designs did. AMD wouldnt make the same mistake again.

I hope you're right, come on 390X Lightning on launch day.

FYI.....the gold trim is there soley to remind you that you will need to bring your gold card with you (yea, the one with the $20k credit limit) when you buy it....OR just stop by Ft. Knox on your way to the store and make a large withdrawl :eek:..... rotflmao....:D

That XFX card is making me want to make a gold trimmed triangle custom build for my next rig.... Hmm....

I hope you're right, come on 390X Lightning on launch day.

Ooooooo yes!

Lightening, Matrix editions on launch day would be sweet indeed. And the closed water loop would be good. More choice the better!

Well, I can tell you whoever took the picture knows nothing about static safety. That card is probably not operational because of poor handling.

Anytime I see pictures that break NDA that don't image the *back* of the card, I believe I'm looking at a fake. If you are going to break the NDA and wish to have your leak taken seriously, failing to image the back of the card is not an option...;)

Article was updated:

Wccftech Update said:
Note: Due to images being of really low quality, it was hard to figure whether the card was actually a R9 390 series or R9 380 series cards. While we were led to believe it as the R9 390 at first sight, turns out to be that the graphics card is actually the Radeon R9 380 series from XFX. It was clear misunderstanding of the card due to the low quality label at the side and there are several details which suggest that the card is based on the Hawaii graphics processor as indicated by our Disqus community.

It's either an R9 390, or R8 380. I mean ffs the two 9s that are supposed to be 8s look exactly the same on 3 different monitors I have, so if one 9 is an 8, then so is the other.

Optometrist: "Sir do you see a nine or an eight?"

Ir0TyFn.jpg

"I see an 8."

No one noticed how close the primary heat sink is to the edge of the card? Holy cow, I wonder if they could shorten the PCB like Nvidia did with the 670?

Back