Saving up for 4080 RTX?

Zyklon808

Gawd
I'm 100% convinced that the 3080 is a ghost card. Regular consumers will never see this card on shelves. I predict Nvidia coming out with another series cards before they manufacturers come close to supplying demand.

Im just going to wait for 4080 while starting an annuity and bots for the 5080 release in less than 3 years.

I think Ampere is a fail architecture if you look at perf/w improvement, there's none.
This is why Jensen focused on Pascal owners when he was talking about upgrading.
I mean, if I had 1080Ti, I would've upgraded. 2080Ti, prob not. But I bought my 2080Ti Strix for cheap when everyone was panic selling, and it has 2 years warranty left, so I might just keep it.

I did read somewhere that Samsungs 8nm is actually closer to 10nm.
Big Navi is being made on 7nm and perhaps it's a good idea to wait and see what they have to say about it.

I have a feeling that Nvidia is pushing a failed gpu as well. AND they are double dipping. Releasing cards early with defects AND a misery vram amount. After 6 months of selling shit cards, they going to come out with larger vram cards at 20% more cost and all the chumps who bought early are almost 100% guaranteed to buy another 800 dollar card less than 6 months from last card.

Fuck Nvidia.

Yeah, if there were other gpu solutions out there, I'd never touch another Nvidia card for the rest of my life. Hate the company, hate their bad business practices and specifically hate them taking advantage of consumers by charging top dollar for 15% performance increase every two fucking years.

Yeah, if there were other gpu solutions out there, I'd never touch another Nvidia card for the rest of my life. Hate the company, hate their bad business practices and specifically hate them taking advantage of consumers by charging top dollar for 15% performance increase every two fucking years.

People love to talk about Intel, Nvidia, and AMD like "well, they're all businesses, and all they want is your money."

Well, of course they want money, but to be honest, I think some businesses also want to do fair, benevolent business and try to make their customers happy.
There's just a big difference between cut-throat capitalism and decent folk doing decent business for the benefit of all involved.

AMD might not actually qualify for that, but of the three, AMD has my support because hey, at least they're not actually doing the deliberate gimping and malicious market segmentation that Intel is known for. And Nvidia? Tsk. They're going down a dark path, and so even if they currently have "the best," brain drain always ends up happening to companies that tell their engineers to, "Make the product WORSE. On PURPOSE. FOR PROFIT!"

I'm 100% convinced that the 3080 is a ghost card. Regular consumers will never see this card on shelves. I predict Nvidia coming out with another series cards before they manufacturers come close to supplying demand.

Im just going to wait for 4080 while starting an annuity and bots for the 5080 release in less than 3 years.

You have virtually zero idea what you are talking about. Cards are often in short supply when they are new. There will be plenty of them on shelves at some point. Hell, I've seen plenty of paper launch products which end up with good availability at some juncture.

I think Ampere is a fail architecture if you look at perf/w improvement, there's none.
This is why Jensen focused on Pascal owners when he was talking about upgrading.
I mean, if I had 1080Ti, I would've upgraded. 2080Ti, prob not. But I bought my 2080Ti Strix for cheap when everyone was panic selling, and it has 2 years warranty left, so I might just keep it.

Big Navi is being made on 7nm and perhaps it's a good idea to wait and see what they have to say about it.

Process node isn't the only metric to judge these parts by. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but its not the end all be all of a product. NVIDIA's Turing architecture was more efficient than AMD's and that was at 12nm. Need I remind you that at 7nm, AMD has never come close to the level of performance offered by NVIDIA's upper end offerings. Navi was a mid-range card and that was about it. Samsung's 8nm process may not have been a good choice, but Ampere offers performance that I doubt Big Navi will come close to achieving.

Also, performance per watt? Do we actually give a shit on a desktop part? I know I don't. I'm not saying that Ampere is fantastic, but I couldn't give two shits about how much power a GPU pulls so long as I can keep it cool.

I was using a Fury X. With it being liquid cooled, it was almost able to handle 4K.

The RTX 2080 Ti is much faster than the Fury X and still isn't a great card for 4K gaming. I don't know how you "reason" that a Fury X was almost good enough for 4K.

You have virtually zero idea what you are talking about. Cards are often in short supply when they are new. There will be plenty of them on shelves at some point. Hell, I've seen plenty of paper launch products which end up with good availability at some juncture.

Process node isn't the only metric to judge these parts by. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but its not the end all be all of a product. NVIDIA's Turing architecture was more efficient than AMD's and that was at 12nm. Need I remind you that at 7nm, AMD has never come close to the level of performance offered by NVIDIA's upper end offerings. Navi was a mid-range card and that was about it. Samsung's 8nm process may not have been a good choice, but Ampere offers performance that I doubt Big Navi will come close to achieving.

Also, performance per watt? Do we actually give a shit on a desktop part? I know I don't. I'm not saying that Ampere is fantastic, but I couldn't give two shits about how much power a GPU pulls so long as I can keep it cool.

The RTX 2080 Ti is much faster than the Fury X and still isn't a great card for 4K gaming. I don't know how you "reason" that a Fury X was almost good enough for 4K.

I meant enough to handle 4K the normal way, by merely pushing the pixels to the monitor.
Of course gaming was never an option. =p

I think there are good indications that RTX 3080 has extremely low availability since 17 September, poor launch overall. Virtual non-existent reviews, forum members success or lack of it and so on. If availability improves is to be seen.

I used my Nano on a 4K monitor and gamed just fine with it, upscaled from 1440p to 4K keeping the monitor at native resolution with FreeSync. Looked and worked rather well. No it was not a blurry mess, AMD has good upscalers/software. I also had a GTX 1070, that card did not upscale worth a crap, it was a blurry mess going from 1440p to 4K. Comparing the Nano on a true 1440p IPS Catleap monitor to the 4K LG IPS 10bit monitor, the LG monitor was superior mostly because you could not see the pixels but also 10bit made Alien Isolation a real treat. So many factors fall in the cracks on reviews and use cases so I just wanted to add that there. Plus a number of older games could play just fine at 4K resolution.

Agree Perf/w, would like to add that it only becomes pertinent when one company has a noisy designed cooler or worst yet, worst performance than a lower powered card (AMD seems to have been there too often). A lower powered, better performing quiet card I would think will get more buys from folks in general. A higher performing card even though it take more power is still a winner overall.

Am I seriously the only one here who remembers the summer of 2016, when the 1080 launched, and it was OMFG AMAZING, also priced at $699 (at least the one I had was), and also borderline unobtanium for several months?

This happens every time. Even with the 20 series, which we all knew was going to be disappointing.

Am I seriously the only one here who remembers the summer of 2016, when the 1080 launched, and it was OMFG AMAZING, also priced at $699 (at least the one I had was), and also borderline unobtanium for several months?

This happens every time. Even with the 20 series, which we all knew was going to be disappointing.

The RTX 2080 Ti's weren't exactly easy to get ahold of either. All the initial cards were snatched up by miners. I also recall buying two GTX 1080 Ti's for SLI the second those released. In under 5 minutes, those were sold out and their availability was crap for several weeks if not more.

Hmm, I think I spotted them "on shelves" -

But yes, I am skipping the 3xxxx gen as well.

We'll likely see an RTX 3080 super in about a year. Especially since the last iteration of Super cards were big sellers.

Reactions: Epos7
like this

Ha! I was one of the lucky ones that snagged an order on Nvidia’s site during their 1080 launch. My order was confirmed and launched same day on May 27, 2016. I still have the emails. No bots, no sneaky tactics. Just being punctual to Nvidia’s site when they started taking orders. I can’t say it was the same experience this time. Damn bots...

Good days...good days...

I had to wait a couple months to get a 3900X. I don't see scarcity at launch as evidence of a ghost product. It's just evidence of a popular product. I'm sure if Nvidia could have produced enough 30XX cards to sell one to everyone who wanted one before AMD's announcement, they would have done it.

Its actually not though. If you look at all the undervolting investigations done, the 3080 is 28% faster than the 2080 Ti on a 230W power budget, and about 33% faster on a 270W power budget (same power consumption as 2080 Ti), vs 38% faster at 320W TDP. So perf per watt gains are real, even with the power hungry G6X memory, its just the 3080 is run ragged near its limits because Nvidia is worried about AMD.

Generally Nvidia cards have 15-18% OC headroom, this gen they only left about 3-4% on the table because the cards are driven to their limits.

You have virtually zero idea what you are talking about. Cards are often in short supply when they are new. There will be plenty of them on shelves at some point. Hell, I've seen plenty of paper launch products which end up with good availability at some juncture

You particularly see short supply with GPUs because people WANT them to launch soon and be able to buy a card. I think want a lot of forum dwellers forget is manufacturing isn't magic. You make so many units per day, and you can't easily expand that capacity. Particularly when you are talking the latest fabs, they have a lot of customers that want products, they'll only sell you so many wafers a day. So a company has two choices:

1) Launch early. Once you have your initial production run done and everything all ready, you launch the product. You don't have a whole lot because you literally just finished making the first batch awhile ago. That means you can't just flood the market, and you'll have to wait as more are produced.

2) Delay the launch. You don't launch when it is done, instead you start building up stock. You keep producing the product and piling it up in warehouses until you have a lot of them, then you launch. You can flood the markets because you have a lot, but you are later to market.

There's a lot of reasons they don't like #2. If they wait they risk the competition beating them to market, they also risk news leaking about it and demand for current products drying up. Plus it just costs money to produce things and not sell them.

But there's no magic solution. They can't just have a massive amount of excess manufacturing capacity sitting around idle most of the time, only to fire it up for a product launch. So either they launch without massive amounts of products on hand, or they delay the launch. There is no "just magic more of them in to existence faster."

Well I have a good job but I'm not going to sit around for the five second window to buy a 3080. Instead I'll just wait a month and buy one after amd releases their inevitably lackluster card. Nvidia I got money, sell me a 3080!

Also props to LG now I can run this at 4k 120hz gsync 10 bit color AND hdr on my gorgeous oled.

I get poor people are mad but why? Just get something cool and have fun with it. I was poor for most of my life. It not so bad

I don't care either about how many watts a GPU pulls if it's not too hot. I'm all for the performance.
But if it draws 30% more watt and is 30% faster than the previous gen then it's a fail architecture in my opinion.

AMD will never put out a reliable gpu. AMD failing at gpu is like a physics constant of the universe.
I run two nvidia cards both work great. I've run rx 570/580s and they worked great for me as well. Both on Windows & Linux....work fine for me.

I have a jonesing for upgrading my 1080Ti at 1440p but it does pretty well in most games at high/ultra usually 80fps+ and sometimes up to 120fps or so. At those framerates, I'm kind of waffling between trying to get a 3080 at MSRP or maybe Zen3 would be a better upgrade....

It very much depends on the games you're playing. That goes for anything really though.

Ha! I was one of the lucky ones that snagged an order on Nvidia’s site during their 1080 launch. My order was confirmed and launched same day on May 27, 2016. I still have the emails. No bots, no sneaky tactics. Just being punctual to Nvidia’s site when they started taking orders. I can’t say it was the same experience this time. Damn bots...

Good days...good days...
Yeah, but they still sold out, and were mostly unobtanium for months. Then, as soon as they were relatively easy to find, the 1080 Ti launched and the process started over again with those.

Intel or nvidia?

It very much depends on the games you're playing. That goes for anything really though.

If you make a statement about a card being good for 4K gaming, that should mean native 4K rendering on all of the newest AAA titles. If its not that, it isn't good for 4K gaming. Upscaling a lower resolution or playing older games doesn't really count. That might make the card good enough for 4K in your specific use case but it would be misleading to call it a good card for 4K gaming. People will think that they can play the latest titles at 4K on such a card and that simply isn't the case.

If you make a statement about a card being good for 4K gaming, that should mean native 4K rendering on all of the newest AAA titles. If its not that, it isn't good for 4K gaming. Upscaling a lower resolution or playing older games doesn't really count. That might make the card good enough for 4K in your specific use case but it would be misleading to call it a good card for 4K gaming. People will think that they can play the latest titles at 4K on such a card and that simply isn't the case.

Tbf even what you're saying is just as off because for you it's recent titles, for someone else it might be titles made since 2018, or maybe the only 1-2 games that someone plays. There are plenty of ways to run games, plenty of gamers, plenty of games, 4k gaming card is a meme to sell cards by reviewers and marketing

3060 Ti / 3070 availability will be a joke as well. If NVidia coudn't keep a $700 card on the shelves... good luck with the midrange options.

Why "save up" for the "4080X" if AMDs upcoming offerings are competitive with consumer Ampere cards?

Nvidia camp only or something?

Yeah, but 3080 realigns the price that you should have been getting for that much performance for the last 2 years, so people will still buy it.

Also, the fact that they have no stock, is extremely concerning, considering they pretty much have samsungs entire foundry at their disposal, they're not fighting for wafer space like with TSMC's cramped schedules. Pretty pathetic.

Tbf even what you're saying is just as off because for you it's recent titles, for someone else it might be titles made since 2018, or maybe the only 1-2 games that someone plays. There are plenty of ways to run games, plenty of gamers, plenty of games, 4k gaming card is a meme to sell cards by reviewers and marketing

You aren't understanding me. Everyone wants to make stuff about them, but that's not how it works. If I say that a card is good for 4K in the latest and most demanding games, that means that the card is good for everything that's out at the time I said it going back to the dawn of PC gaming. If you say a card is good at 4K gaming because you only play older titles, its not necessarily a true statement as it only applies to your narrow sphere of games. The statement I made was a higher standard for what is or isn't a good 4K card. When someone says a Fury X is good at 4K, it had to be qualified with upscaling, used in older games, etc. This was because at face value, the statement seemed inaccurate to begin with and it was.

it's not a failed architecture but the main issue is that it's mainly geared towards the 2% of people that use a 4K monitor for gaming...plus it's mainly a compute focused card vs pure gaming...I'm guessing Big Navi is going to be much more appealing for gamers even though it'll be a bit slower then Ampere (it'll also be cheaper)

the fact that Nvidia is holding back higher VRAM variants until after Big Navi is also pretty sleazy...

You aren't understanding me. Everyone wants to make stuff about them, but that's not how it works. If I say that a card is good for 4K in the latest and most demanding games, that means that the card is good for everything that's out at the time I said it going back to the dawn of PC gaming. If you say a card is good at 4K gaming because you only play older titles, its not necessarily a true statement as it only applies to your narrow sphere of games. The statement I made was a higher standard for what is or isn't a good 4K card. When someone says a Fury X is good at 4K, it had to be qualified with upscaling, used in older games, etc. This was because at face value, the statement seemed inaccurate to begin with and it was.

So a card comes out and it can play all the latest titles at 4k. What happens when new games come out and the same card falls behind? Card stops being good at 4k I guess?

You should already have the money for the RTX 4080 and RTX 4090 video card when it launches in a few years. A better question is, can you plan ahead better the next time around in order to secure one of these video cards. Take a vacation day, grab a girlfriend or wife or a best friend, get in line early, grab two cards. Use the 2nd card to offset the cost of the first card. I did this and you should as well. Remember, this is personal property, fck the haters. Scalping is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's not your fault that AMD and or nVidia do not allow the proper time frame for stock levels to meet demand.

A lot of the problem is, most people are either clueless or CAN'T go wait in line for a variety of reasons, kids, work, etc. Understandable in many cases. However, in many other cases, as I said, people are clueless.

Here is the secret to getting a RTX 4080 in 2022 and this will work 1000% ..... as soon as the release date is announced. Talk to your boss and get that day and the day after off work. If you work a BS job, like factory or service / food service work you can lie. Good lies are, you have minor dental surgery scheduled and can't miss the dates. Most lies dealing with heath issues or school issues are usually taken seriously and will result in favorable results. If you have a formal education and work a professional job, you should be able to get the time off with advance planning.

Second, go and wait in line early. Don't be lazy. Plan on at least 24 hours ahead of time. I waited inline 18.5 hours for the RTX 3090 and 7 hours for the RTX 3080. If you live in a heavily populated area, plan on up to a week early like what happened at one of the California locations. No pain, no gain.

Things to take, water bottles, pee jug, blanket, lawn chair, snacks, fully charged phone, power bank. A book / e-reader. Comfortable pants, cushioned socks, house slippers. warm clothing to combat cool / cold nights. Loose cash to chip in on food runs. If you live in an area that allows conceal carry WITHOUT a permit, like Kansas and Missouri, carry a firearm for protection. I was inline with at least 3 other guys who brought their conceal carry firearms. I had my Taurus Millennium G2 ( make sure to follow local and federal laws in regards to how you go about this ) Anyone here who has done the Black Friday wait in-line thing before knows what I am talking about.

You can also use a bot app or paid bot service.

Example: https://github.com/Hari-Nagarajan/nvidia-bot

PM if you want a more comprehensive list which I have ( paid bot services ) Yes, this is a very controversial area. Again, until nVidia gets their act together, you have to play to win. Remember that. Like Denzil Washington repeatedly said in Training Day, "do you want an RTX 4080 or do you want to go to jail?" Something like that.

Sorry folks, but you have to position yourself at the top of the pile. You have to become a tech-alpha-OG-dawg. Playing the naive helpless consumer will not get you shit. Maybe nVidia will get their shit together in 2 years ( doubtful ) and instead of launching asap, they wait several weeks to build stock levels to meet demand, again, highly highly doubtful.

Follow these instructions EXACTLY and you will be able to get you a RTX 4080 / 4090.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't have to save up for one. My 3080 comes in Wednesday and I'll keep it till the 4080/next gen. Then I'll just buy the next gen. A few hundred dollars is chump change.

I walked into a store and picked up a 3090 because waiting in line on launch day sucks. I also did that for 2080ti, 1080ti, 1080, 980.... 780...

I don't have to save up for one. My 3080 comes in Wednesday and I'll keep it till the 4080/next gen. Then I'll just buy the next gen. A few hundred dollars is chump change.

tenor.gif

That's his manifesto, so that is too much for me to bother reading. Get good or wait both options are right.

Def do not read it. The people that did read it and didn't make little emo post like this one, that's my audience, not you. You did the correct thing.

It's a tongue in cheek piece, btw.

Some people got this game down, many of you don't. It's not that damn hard to get a video card every new generation.

Def do not read it. The people that did read it and not make a little emo post like yours, that's my audience, not you. You did the correct thing.
Wow my feelings are hurt, I guess I'll ask my wife to let me use her 3080 to feel better.

You should already have the money for the RTX 4080 and RTX 4090 video card when it launches in a few years. A better question is, can you plan ahead better the next time around in order to secure one of these video cards. Take a vacation day, grab a girlfriend or wife or a best friend, get in line early, grab two cards. Use the 2nd card to offset the cost of the first card. I did this and you should as well. Remember, this is personal property, fck the haters. Scalping is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's not your fault that AMD and or nVidia do not allow the proper time frame for stock levels to meet demand.

A lot of the problem is, most people are either clueless or CAN'T go wait in line for a variety of reasons, kids, work, etc. Understandable in many cases. However, in many other cases, as I said, people are clueless.

Here is the secret to getting a RTX 4080 in 2022 and this will work 1000% ..... as soon as the release date is announced. Talk to your boss and get that day and the day after off work. If you work a BS job, like factory or service / food service work you can lie. Good lies are, you have minor dental surgery scheduled and can't miss the dates. Most lies dealing with heath issues or school issues are usually taken seriously and will result in favorable results. If you have a formal education and work a professional job, you should be able to get the time off with advance planning.

Second, go and wait in line early. Don't be lazy. Plan on at least 24 hours ahead of time. I waited inline 18.5 hours for the RTX 3090 and 7 hours for the RTX 3080. If you live in a heavily populated area, plan on up to a week early like what happened at one of the California locations. No pain, no gain.

Things to take, water bottles, pee jug, blanket, lawn chair, snacks, fully charged phone, power bank. A book / e-reader. Comfortable pants, cushioned socks, house slippers. warm clothing to combat cool / cold nights. Loose cash to chip in on food runs. If you live in an area that allows conceal carry WITHOUT a permit, like Kansas and Missouri, carry a firearm for protection. I was inline with at least 3 other guys who brought their conceal carry firearms. I had my Taurus Millennium G2 ( make sure to follow local and federal laws in regards to how you go about this ) Anyone here who has done the Black Friday wait in-line thing before knows what I am talking about.

You can also use a bot app or paid bot service.

Example: https://github.com/Hari-Nagarajan/nvidia-bot

PM if you want a more comprehensive list which I have ( paid bot services ) Yes, this is a very controversial area. Again, until nVidia gets their act together, you have to play to win. Remember that. Like Denzil Washington repeatedly said in Training Day, "do you want an RTX 4080 or do you want to go to jail?" Something like that.

Sorry folks, but you have to position yourself at the top of the pile. You have to become a tech-alpha-OG-dawg. Playing the naive helpless consumer will not get you shit. Maybe nVidia will get their shit together in 2 years ( doubtful ) and instead of launching asap, they wait several weeks to build stock levels to meet demand, again, highly highly doubtful.

Follow these instructions EXACTLY and you will be able to get you a RTX 4080 / 4090.

Good luck.
lol imagine doing all of this "tech-alpha-OG-dawg" shit for a piece of hardware. :ROFLMAO: God I hope this is satire.

I've purchased multiple RTX 3080s and RTX 3090s (on launch day as well) by simply being subscribed to a discord and running Distill so I'm not sitting in front of my PC either. No bots necessary, but admittedly some luck is involved as always. Purchased from the comfort of my home or via my iPhone when I've been out. No piss jugs, taking days off work, or camping outside of a store for 18+ hours. Has worked for placing my PS5 and XSX preorders in as well.

People have lives or just simply don't care to go through all the bullshit to get one, especially camping out in front of stores for hours. I don't blame them.

lol imagine doing all of this "tech-alpha-OG-dawg" shit for a piece of hardware. :ROFLMAO: God I hope this is satire.

I've purchased multiple RTX 3080s and RTX 3090s (on launch day as well) by simply being subscribed to a discord and running Distill so I'm not sitting in front of my PC either. No bots necessary, but admittedly some luck is involved as always. Purchased from the comfort of my home or via my iPhone when I've been out. No piss jugs, taking days off work, or camping outside of a store for 18+ hours. Has worked for placing my PS5 and XSX preorders in as well.

People have lives or just simply don't care to go through all the bullshit to get one, especially camping out in front of stores for hours. I don't blame them.
Lol, piss jugs, almost makes me want to read his gangsta post.

Back