Saving up for 4080 RTX?

blackmomba

Limp Gawd
Ummm yeah that’s how it works. You can claim any card is good at anything if you move the goal posts.

So... How will we ever have a 4k card if new games are coming out everyday and new cards come out once every 6 months?

How long did you think before you made this post?

MangoSeed

[H]ard|Gawd
So... How will we ever have a 4k card if new games are coming out everyday and new cards come out once every 6 months?

What exactly is a "4k card"? Is that some sort of label that's supposed to last forever? Your entire premise is silly.

RazorWind

2[H]4U

The GPU technology would need to improve faster than the demands of the game increases for a given resolution.

This has happened pretty consistently over time, but it happens slowly. Just think about when the last time you played a game at 1024 by 768 was.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Both the 1080's and 2080's were tough as hell to snag when they came out, too. I struggled to get both of those as well. Yet I did. Ditto with these cards. The bot situation has amplified things, but this isn't surprising or new. The same thing is going on with the new consoles, too. They sold out in minutes and they continue to do so whenever any retailers pre-sell more of them. Those are basically just a glorified IOU. People have these cards. They exist. OEM's are claiming that more will be on the way this month. AMD has their own card coming in a few weeks, too. Let's see where things go in the next 6 weeks before acting like this entire tech generation is a myth.

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
I meant enough to handle 4K the normal way, by merely pushing the pixels to the monitor.
Of course gaming was never an option. =p

Soooo you tried to make a point by telling us a 200+ watt gpu was able to do what Intels IGP has done “normally” for years?

Slade

2[H]4U
over past few weeks I have seen stock of 3080s trickle in. gigabyte,asus, evga, zotac. I picked up a 3090 as a walk in.

The cards are real, my friend got his 3080 on day 3, but he had put a deposit in store. Reminds me of 1080, 1080ti and 2080 ti all over again.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
As bad as the present situation is, I do believe (despite being a natural pessimist) that most of us who want one will have either a NV 3xxx or Radeon 6xxx card by late Nov.

too late...I need one by mid-November for Cyberpunk 2077 ;)

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
over past few weeks I have seen stock of 3080s trickle in. gigabyte,asus, evga, zotac. I picked up a 3090 as a walk in.

The cards are real, my friend got his 3080 on day 3, but he had put a deposit in store. Reminds me of 1080, 1080ti and 2080 ti all over again.

I bought cards during all of those launches. This is the worst I've ever seen it. It's also the first time I wasn't able to secure a card on launch day. I think I had to wait a week or so on the RTX 2080 Ti. Of course, I also opted to wait for AIB's to come out which were a month behind the FE cards.

Domingo

Fully [H]
While the 1080 and 2080 cards sold out quickly and didn't get back in stock often for months, they definitely weren't this rare. I mean, if you wanted either of those, they were in stock for a day or two. I was stuck in a meeting for nearly the entire launch day of the 2080 and managed to buy an AIB model on day 2. On Amazon, too. I even bypassed buying a pair of AIB's that I didn't like the look of. I had a similar experience with the 1080, although I bought one from Nvidia on week 2 after they sold out of the first batch.
The bot thing has turned a day or two (or even a week or two) into seconds or minutes. Factors like COVID and more people working at home in front of a PC all day are compounding things, too.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
Am I seriously the only one here who remembers the summer of 2016, when the 1080 launched, and it was OMFG AMAZING, also priced at $699 (at least the one I had was), and also borderline unobtanium for several months?

This happens every time. Even with the 20 series, which we all knew was going to be disappointing.

As was the Vega 64 at-launch in July 2017. The $500 launch price never existed for the first six months of it's existence. (if you could even find stock) :rolleyes:

Four months after launch, this deal was almost unheard of (but according to you whiny folks, this never happened):

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3235966/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-vega-64-sale-price.html

The AMD lovers in this thread have poor memory, most likely caused by NVIDIA being 6 month to a year ahead of AMD on most high-end launches.

Some people just have a habit of rewriting history in their own minds to make the rest of the world easier for them to contemplate - that makes NVIDIA the Easy Bad Guy (TM)

I would expect the same from Big Navi. The last time AMD had a top-end launch with wide availability was their intentionally-overpriced HD 7970 at $550, to reduce the Resellers Rush. They learned this trick after the 5870 was sold-out for it's first 6 months for having too low launch price, but then forgot that lesson Yet AGAIN with the ludicrously-good-value $400 R9 290, which took a year to resurface at MSRP! They have repeated those mistakes with Fury X and Vega 64.

Last edited:

Slade

2[H]4U
I don't consider unable to get day 1 as a bad thing. Took my friend 3 days for him to get his email saying it was in hand, and my card was procured in a week.

As far as launches go, I've found no launch to be perfect and waiting is part of the game, especially when demand is high. Since getting my card, I jave helped 8 friends get random model 3080s. 1 friend wants a 3090 but I am having a hard time finding that despite the crazy price being a deterrent

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Also, performance per watt? Do we actually give a shit on a desktop part? I know I don't. I'm not saying that Ampere is fantastic, but I couldn't give two shits about how much power a GPU pulls so long as I can keep it cool.
^ This. I don't know why more people don't get it. Who gives a crap how much power desktop parts draw so long as you can keep them cool... and if you're that concerned about your hydro bill, you invested in the wrong setup.