Samsung intros IPS competitor: PLS

A bit OT but if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you return a monitor that you hate so much? I assume it's the lack of alternative choices but really, if you feel using it is a torture, surely it would be better to use something else no matter the size or resolution?

As I said in some other topics I was one of those guys who believed that they could live with the AG coating. It didn't even bother me that much for several months until I bought my MacBook - the comparison of both displays side by side makes you realize how strong the AG coating actually is. As long as you don't see anything else it might be fine with you. I still love gaming on my U2711 (+ I got it for a very low price back then) and I know someone I can give the display to as soon as I found my new one. So all in all it's ok for me to not be able to return it anymore.

The fact that I had to exchange the display 6 or 7 times didn't help me liking it either I guess.

~1000:1 in contrast is quite disappointing.
LCD-TVs have progressed a lot in the last years, it shouldn't be so hard to take that progress to the computer monitors one think.

And Samsung themselves managed 3000 to 1 in the cPVA panel more than 1½ year ago...

Samsung site below also says 12ms for PLS panels, while german site says 5ms in picture 10. Hmm.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/product/monitor.html

This likely means the panel is 12ms TrTf and 5ms GTG. The specs are reported differently by different companies: Dell, for example, touts their U2711 as "5ms" but also specifies that it's 5ms GTG and 12(or 16? I forget)ms TrTf; Apple sells the LED version of that panel but they promote TrTf as it is a more accurate measurement of real performance. Maybe better to say "of worst performance".

See?

As I said in some other topics I was one of those guys who believed that they could live with the AG coating. It didn't even bother me that much for several months until I bought my MacBook - the comparison of both displays side by side makes you realize how strong the AG coating actually is. As long as you don't see anything else it might be fine with you. I still love gaming on my U2711 (+ I got it for a very low price back then) and I know someone I can give the display to as soon as I found my new one. So all in all it's ok for me to not be able to return it anymore.

The fact that I had to exchange the display 6 or 7 times didn't help me liking it either I guess.

the alternative to the aggressive ag coating is present since years,
There's no alternative for me and a lot of others. It's not the right place to discuss that issue in this topic, you just have to believe me that there's no 27"+ display that fits my needs if you don't take the 2000€+ PVA displays into account with a lot of features I don't want and will never use, but with a decent AG coating.

Not that big of a fan of sammy but hopefully this will bring other more mainstream brands into the market

By the way, I was going over the slides of the SA850 again, and that third connection is HDMI, isn't it? Hard to be sure, but it sure looks like it. I'd really like to be able to hook my PS3 up to this thing...

Last edited:
^^^Isn't that bad news. All those inputs means it has a built in scalar - and that's means alot of input lag. I'd be more excited if it had like one input.

That being said I am waiting for this monitor as well. The AG coating of the IPS monitors is a consistent gripe you hear from alot of consumers.

^^^Isn't that bad news. All those inputs means it has a built in scalar - and that's means alot of input lag. I'd be more excited if it had like one input.

That being said I am waiting for this monitor as well. The AG coating of the IPS monitors is a consistent gripe you hear from alot of consumers.

Well, to me HDMI would be a massive plus. The DELL U3011 had a built in scaler and if there was any input lag, I absolutely could not see it. I tried gaming on it side by side with a TN monitor and couldn't see a hint of lag. Maybe it's just me, but from my experience with IPS displays with scalers, input lag seems like a total non-issue for gaming.

Snow dag created a monster. every thread is like wait for PLS like it's second coming of Christ. Samsungs hype train will soon be derailed though like it always is.

BTW - what's up with that horse face they hired to model? Korean girls are invariably hotties..talk about failing out of the gate.

A scaler does not necessarily introduce input lag. It depends on if the scaler is doing anything or not. If you are sending the screen native resolution the scaler is not interpolating/upscaling/downscaling anything so I wouldn't worry about it.

Most video cards also have settings to allow you to use GPU scaling instead of panel/monitor scaling. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

What's exciting is that these will be sRGB IPS based screens that will likely have much more subtle AG coating.

We don't know yet, but I think we can assume somewhere in the $600-$800 range. Not more than that, I sincerely hope...

Just a reminder that the iPad 2 announcement is coming on March 2. Some sources are still speculating that it will use a PLS display, so it could be our first look at this technology, given that there is really no hard info on the upcoming Samsung monitors.

Why do they still bother with LCD tech when OLED is prone to take over in a couple of years?

Why do they still bother with LCD tech when OLED is prone to take over in a couple of years?

Thats a good question.. I hate LCDs... We want fast and quality screens, not slow 6bit frc dithering crap monitors!

This isn't much of an update in lcd technology, and besides, the iphone's ips screen looks way prettier than any oled shown in mobile devices :).

Besides, oleds are still very expensive, rare and not yet rid of problems. Don't expect to see many of them during 2011-2013.

Well I keep hearing a lot on OLED and theres constantly breakthroughs, now they can just ink-jet print them and lifespan is not an issue anymore, all these different companies are coming up with different breakthroughs...

Its like they are dumping millions into research for OLED and at the same time researching LCD...when LCD will eventually be killed off...strange

Nonuniform pixel decay time is still a problem, with blue pixels being the shortest lived.
Will will likely see consumer lcds with white oled backlight before true oled screens hit the consumer market.

The iPhone 4 display is way better than any OLED screen I have ever seen. I'm not trying to start a fanboy war - as soon as I see a decent OLED screen with my own eyes I will jump on the OLED fanbase right away. But at the moment it's just not the time for OLED yet, especially in the desktop market.

Back to topic - a PLS screen in the iPad 2 would indeed be good news.
1. If Apple uses it as an upgrade to IPS it cannot be that bad. No matter what you think about Apple or their prices, they use high quality stuff in their products.
2. PLS is obviously already in mass production and Samsung might be inside their timeframe.

Sony has a broadcast quality OLED available now - cept costs like 30 grand..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/sony-announces-17-inch-and-25-inch-trimaster-el-professional-ole/

So that's why we are not buying em - they are maybe 5 years off - could be more. Some of us would like a better display now. If a nice PLS display can tide me over a few years then that's what I am getting..

FWIW the cellphone OLED screens using some funky cost saving technology that's why they suck..There are some higher end ones on some expensive camcorders that are supposedly pretty sweet..

As for apple having these PLS screens - that would be good news I agree. But I won't believe it till Apple says so. Unfortunately there is a rather large group of not very technical people who think Apple has always got the greatest stuff. So if they hear about something good in technology - they always believe that Apple either invented it or is the first to use it. All the apple buzz right now indicates is that some apple fans bought into the PLS hype.

Dream on about OLED too. Maybe in 10 years. I'll be done with computers by then. (I can't see myself playing games in my late 30s and stuff.) Anyway - reality is LCD is so cheap and 99% of the people think it's great, and it is great as long as nothing is moving, so LCD is going nowhere.

Off topic mode on:
Hey, computers are good for all sorts of stuff, not only gaming :p !
That being said, my uncle is 45 and he plays wow like crazy, while i never liked that game...strange, huh ? :D

On topic:
I wonder how many units of these monitors will be available for purchase, and at what price, the connectors point towards a steep price, especially that usb 3.0...never seen it on a monitor, i hope the 24 incher won't sell for more than 500 euros :(

QLED is looking to potentially be the new flat display tech. Starting at 25% less in cost to produce than OLED.

Off topic mode on:
Hey, computers are good for all sorts of stuff, not only gaming :p !
That being said, my uncle is 45 and he plays wow like crazy, while i never liked that game...strange, huh ? :D

On topic:
I wonder how many units of these monitors will be available for purchase, and at what price, the connectors point towards a steep price, especially that usb 3.0...never seen it on a monitor, i hope the 24 incher won't sell for more than 500 euros :(

I just figure way I get harassed now by my GF it won't happen with even more responsibilities and obligations.:p Plus My skills are deteriorating as is. Not as competitive as I used to be. If you aint winning it sux.:|

Been looking at all the iPad 2 news available, but still no hint that it is or isn't using the Samsung PLS screen. But it seems like Apple isn't talking about the display at all. If it were PLS and "better" than IPS as Samsung wants to claim, then I think they would have mentioned it.

EDIT: Just saw Engadget's spec comparison which states very clearly that the iPad 2 has an "LED-backlit IPS LCD" just like the original iPad.

Last edited:
One little photo of SA850 from "Samsung Forum 2011" in Budapest/Hungary:
35.jpg

linked from :

http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/samsung-02-2011.shtml

Edge-lit shouldn't be too much of a problem with such a small panel, right? Monitors don't get the benefits of back-lit LEDs, like local dimming, anyway.

Small panel ? 27 inchers are the second largest display monitors, plus, edge lit led is known to cause uniformity problems, just take a look at tn panels or lg's new ips monitors.

A full array is not only useful because of local dimming, it should provide even backlight uniformity, that being said, i would prefer these monitors to be ccfl, but having seen that picture, i highly doubt it.

I guess there's still no word on release date or pricing of the SA850?

I don't suppose this panel will be a 120hz panel will it?

It'll be LED (edgelite) because LED screens sell. My roomate got and LED lit LCD and went on and on about how much better LEDs are than LCD? Anyway, I welcome the newcomer to the monitor market.

Small panel ? 27 inchers are the second largest display monitors, plus, edge lit led is known to cause uniformity problems, just take a look at tn panels or lg's new ips monitors.

A full array is not only useful because of local dimming, it should provide even backlight uniformity, that being said, i would prefer these monitors to be ccfl, but having seen that picture, i highly doubt it.

Yeah, 27" is small compared to the 46" TVs that also use edge-lit LEDs

Back