Samsung Galaxy S5 Watch Thread

You think the NSA is targeting you just for disagreeing with their spying policies? You know what that's called? Conceited. Like I said there are many more rights issues to fight for that actually does harm. Fight for those. I didn't mention banking or corporate bullshit because those aren't rights issues.

I don't want to talk about the NSA either. But pretty sure that it will keep blowing up everytime we mention biometrics now.

Unsubscribing to this thread. I thought it was about the hottest new phone of 2014, the Samsung Galaxy S5, I guess not.

I am specifically waiting for the S5 for my next upgrade because I believe they will deliver on a great camera as well as building on the already excellent S4 quality.

As for Iris scanning. I certainly don't want or need this on my phone. I suppose someone my want or need this, but I will, as a first order of business, disable this when I unbox the phone if it does have this. The NSA can suck by balls...unless they are reading this in which case, great job guys you are the best!!!!

I cannot WAIT to get rid of my iPhone and the POS that is iOS 7. I hate it so bad I want to scream.

The iris scanning technology is definitely something that's cool. Useful? Maybe.

The 16MP ISOCELL camera is likely to be Samsung-made.

Also rumors about a metal SGS5 sounds good.

The iris scanning technology is definitely something that's cool. Useful? Maybe.

The 16MP ISOCELL camera is likely to be Samsung-made.

Also rumors about a metal SGS5 sounds good.

They would be better served by ignoring all these "cool features" and focusing on just making a good solid phone, and by the sounds of it, that is what they are doing.

Metal might be nice, as long as it is as durable as previous designs and not as flimsy, dentable and scratchable as Apples garbage.

If they get rid of the removable battery or sim card as part of this process, it won't be my next phone.

Unless they scale back on TouchWiz UI and other "cool features" I'd just root it and flash it with Cyanogenmod or another AOSP-like custom ROM as soon as it is available.

My Verizon GS3 has been a great phone since I flashed it with Cyanogenmod, but things they should really focus on is more reliable signal reception, both data/cell signal and GPS.

Sounds like you might be better served waiting for the OnePlus One. Cyanogen Partners With Ex-Oppo VP’s Startup, OnePlus, For Custom CyanogenMod Phones.

In a blog post announcing the news, OnePlus said: “The CyanogenMod team will work in tandem with us to combine the best hardware with the best software. They are developing a custom version of CyanogenMod with special features and tweaks.”

The first fruit of the partnership is going to be called the rather tongue-twisting OnePlus One. There’s precious little detail at this point about how the phone is going to differ from the N1 running CyanogenMod — not to mention stand out from the more-vanilla-Android crowd. But it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a mid-range device, with a pledge of “the latest and highest spec hardware” for the OnePlus One.

Sounds like you might be better served waiting for the OnePlus One. Cyanogen Partners With Ex-Oppo VP’s Startup, OnePlus, For Custom CyanogenMod Phones.

In a blog post announcing the news, OnePlus said: “The CyanogenMod team will work in tandem with us to combine the best hardware with the best software. They are developing a custom version of CyanogenMod with special features and tweaks.”

The first fruit of the partnership is going to be called the rather tongue-twisting OnePlus One. There’s precious little detail at this point about how the phone is going to differ from the N1 running CyanogenMod — not to mention stand out from the more-vanilla-Android crowd. But it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a mid-range device, with a pledge of “the latest and highest spec hardware” for the OnePlus One.

Sounds interesting. Wonder if there will be a variant compatible with VZW...

For the tinfoil hat wearing, black helicopter fearing crowd.. You might want to check out the "Blackphone" as your next smartphone, if you are still using one and not a disposable phone.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-encryption-making-secure-android-blackphone/

Although if you buy one, I would imagine you would automatically qualify for an NSA list.

They talk a lot but say nothing about what the phone specs are or even what the actual device accomplishes in terms of privacy....lol. I guess time will tell.

It's just a company capitalizing on the nsa scare. They don't know if they can prevent it, and I doubt they are trying real hard. Just capitalizing on a fear no one will ever check to see if it's true or not.

Zarathustra[H];1040547669 said:
They would be better served by ignoring all these "cool features" and focusing on just making a good solid phone, and by the sounds of it, that is what they are doing.

Metal might be nice, as long as it is as durable as previous designs and not as flimsy, dentable and scratchable as Apples garbage.

If they get rid of the removable battery or sim card as part of this process, it won't be my next phone.

Unless they scale back on TouchWiz UI and other "cool features" I'd just root it and flash it with Cyanogenmod or another AOSP-like custom ROM as soon as it is available.

My Verizon GS3 has been a great phone since I flashed it with Cyanogenmod, but things they should really focus on is more reliable signal reception, both data/cell signal and GPS.

Actually there are rumors that Samsung will use advanced battery technology in the SGS5.

Galaxy S5 might sport a new type of Li-ion battery with 2900 mAh capacity and rapid charging

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...-2900-mAh-capacity-and-rapid-charging_id51369

Here comes Samsung ripping off Microsoft, I mean innovating the UI...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/5326682/samsung-galaxy-s5-home-screen-leak-google-now

Truth be told, it looks more like a mash-up of Windows, HTC's BlinkFeed and a touch of the iOS 7 aesthetic. It's an interesting idea if real, but I wonder if customers would actually bite... after all, BlinkFeed didn't do much to change HTC's public image (many of the One users I know switched home screens to avoid BlinkFeed).

I am more curious to see how Samsung launches the S5 on the U.S carriers ?

The word is, all the big carries will want locked bootloaders, so no more flashing custom ROM's. What ATT did to the S4 with a firmware patch, locking it down airtight, and launched their Note 3 with locked bootloader, is rumored to become standard for Samsung going forward in the U.S. on all carriers.

If that is true, then I am done with Samsung. Looks like only option for us ROM guys will be; the Nexus line, maybe HTC, and future GPE phones, if there will even be a S5 and One+ GPE this Spring ?

The word is, all the big carries will want locked bootloaders, so no more flashing custom ROM's. What ATT did to the S4 with a firmware patch, locking it down airtight, and launched their Note 3 with locked bootloader, is rumored to become standard for Samsung going forward in the U.S. on all carriers.

If that is true, then I am done with Samsung. Looks like only option for us ROM guys will be; the Nexus line, maybe HTC, and future GPE phones, if there will even be a S5 and One+ GPE this Spring ?

Can't people that want to run custom ROM's flock to the Samsung Developer Editions phones still? I know they have one for the Note 3 at least which is supposed to be unlocked (I think). I heard that after I purchased my new off contract locked Verizon Note 3 for $650 when I could've just got that one directly from Samsung unlocked for Verizon for $700.

Can't people that want to run custom ROM's flock to the Samsung Developer Editions phones still? I know they have one for the Note 3 at least which is supposed to be unlocked (I think). I heard that after I purchased my new off contract locked Verizon Note 3 for $650 when I could've just got that one directly from Samsung unlocked for Verizon for $700.

I suppose, you could buy the $700 'Developer Edition' phone direct from Samsung. But that's a lot of money, compared to like $200 on contract most buy their phone for. And I didn't even know about a Developer version of the Note 3, is that available on all four U.S. carriers ? Something that's not advertised that much. I looked on Samsung's website, and it only listed the Verizon version as having a 'Developer Edition' The ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint versions, just linked to local retailers that sell the phone as is, not special developer editions available.

Just sucks, just a year ago, when the Note 2 came out, it was fully unlocked easily, and custom ROM's were flowing left and right, and it had huge development on all four U.S. carrier versions.

The Note 2 on ATT, had dozens and dozens of custom ROM's and many pages full of development threads, pretty quick after launch. Now compare that to the ATT Note 3, it has been out for almost 4 months now, and only has like half a dozen ROM's, and just one page of development threads. And all of that is very recent. The first couple of months after launch, the ATT Note 3 development was nothing at all, tumble weeds blowing and crickets chirping.

Last edited:
I am more curious to see how Samsung launches the S5 on the U.S carriers ?

Well the carriers won't allow unlocked phones because they need to get their spying software loaded on for the NS--- ohh wait, we had that conversation already. nvm

But yeah, Samsung did do the GPE for the S4 so maybe they'll do it again for the S5. It's expensive but if you can get a cheaper plan it might work out.

Well the carriers won't allow unlocked phones because they need to get their spying software loaded on for the NS--- ohh wait, we had that conversation already. nvm

But yeah, Samsung did do the GPE for the S4 so maybe they'll do it again for the S5. It's expensive but if you can get a cheaper plan it might work out.

Hopefully. So far no Note 3 GPE phone, but that's not surprising, due to the S-Pen features, etc...

If there is a S5 GPE, I'd pay the $650 for it, that phone will be worth the upgrade in price over the Nexus 5. But tell me this, why is the S4 GPE still $650 compared to the Nexus 5 @ $349 which has newer better hardware.

If there is a S5 GPE, I'd pay the $650 for it, that phone will be worth the upgrade in price over the Nexus 5. But tell me this, why is the S4 GPE still $650 compared to the Nexus 5 @ $349 which has newer better hardware.

Google doesn't set the price of GPE phones, that's Samsung's fault.

The better hardware part is sort of debatable. The S4 still has a few nicer things than the Nexus 5. Like the bigger battery, better camera, better speakers, amoled screen, etc.

I'm sort of a nerd who enjoys playing around with new software but the S4 provides a better out of the box experience which is important to some people imo.

AMOLED displays may be technologically more advanced than LCD displays but I wish Samsung could make them a bit brighter in direct sunlight.

Samsung's next-gen AMOLED displays, DDR4 technology and super-efficient Li-Ion batteries sound very promising.

I really don't care about iris or fingerprint scanning features. They are just gimmicky features that appeal to people because they are supposedly "new". The Motorola Atrix 4G already had a fingerprint sensor long before Apple/Samsung...

I really don't care about iris or fingerprint scanning features. They are just gimmicky features that appeal to people because they are supposedly "new". The Motorola Atrix 4G already had a fingerprint sensor long before Apple/Samsung...

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Part of the big deal is that the iPhone 5s has fingerprint identification you'd actually want to use. The Atrix did fingerprinting earlier, but not very well -- the reader was both inconveniently placed and unreliable, so no one used it. I wouldn't bend over backwards to get a smartphone just for biometric security, but it's nice to have if it works well.

The iPhone print scanner is an image where the atrix required the image to be completely re scanned each time, the scanner also had edges which sucked and received zero developer support as Motorola essentially dropped support themselves.

Samsung will announce the Galaxy S5 on February 23, a day before MWC
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/01/21...he-galaxy-s5-on-february-23-a-day-before-mwc/

We have already confirmed that the Galaxy S5 will be launched in April, but there’s still no confirmation on when Samsung will make an official announcement about its upcoming flagship. Samsung will not be waiting that long this time around to unveil the S5, and will announce the Galaxy S5 on February 23rd, just a day before MWC kicks off in Barcelona, followed by a launch in stores in April. Per rumors.

Concept-of-Samsung-Galaxy-S5_zps5696f7b2.png
[/URL][/IMG]

How am I supposed to hold this without the phone thinking that I'm tapping on one of the shortcuts?

And how come they dont make the front earpiece also a front facing speaker?

And I'm really annoyed at the center placement of cell phone camera on my S4. I dont like having to be so weary of the fingers on my left hand when taking a picture.

How am I supposed to hold this without the phone thinking that I'm tapping on one of the shortcuts?

And I'm really annoyed at the center placement of cell phone camera on my S4. I dont like having to be so weary of the fingers on my left hand when taking a picture.

Is this supposed to be a for real leaked image? The edge seems faked but I like!

Its a concept, i dont think thats the official

Is this supposed to be a for real leaked image? The edge seems faked but I like!

That's just one of many rumored concepts.

Word is that Samsung wants to go edge to edge screen, with a slight wrap around on the bezels. Not sure if that is planned for the S5, but I heard the Note 4 will almost for sure have something like that. But that design is in the works for future Samsung devices.

Rumored screen size on the S5 is 5.25", and the overall footprint of the phone is said to be no larger than the current S4. So how do they keep the same size of the S4, with a larger screen ?

That's just one of many rumored concepts.

Word is that Samsung wants to go edge to edge screen, with a slight wrap around on the bezels. Not sure if that is planned for the S5, but I heard the Note 4 will almost for sure have something like that. But that design is in the works for future Samsung devices.

Rumored screen size on the S5 is 5.25", and the overall footprint of the phone is said to be no larger than the current S4. So how do they keep the same size of the S4, with a larger screen ?

Does the screen size include the bezel?

The S3 and S4 turned out to be nothing like the rumored concepts. I have no doubt it'll be the same for S5. Not having the trademark physical home button is a dead giveaway, as Samsung has never made a phone without it.

The iris scanner is no where near ready for mass production at a cheap cost. Fingerprint readers are far cheaper. So the likelihood of having a finger print reader instead is high, but it is also as likely to not have any at all.

Won't believe there's an unveiling on the 23rd unless there's a Samsung Unpacked announcement in the next week or two... and I'm not counting on that.

Does anyone have any confirmed info about the GS5 having a removable battery for the US-market models?

Back