Samsung 950PRO, when?

Something that I noticed when reading all the 950 Pro reviews so far: no one seems to have comparative data for the "SM951 NVMe 512GB".
All the reviews are either comparing to the SM951 NVMe 256GB, or the SM951 AHCI 512GB.

you be surprised, when manufacturers send out free kit, there is a review guide that is sent alongside that kit e.g. on the nvidia gtx 960 notice how every single reviewer concentrated on 1080p and compared to the 600 series instead of 700 series, well nvidia told them to do that.

A reviewer can ignore such a guide but then they would likely get blacklisted from further freebies.

I noticed that the 256gb version is often faster than the bigger brother due to thermal throttling.
I'm in doubt if choose the 256 or the 512. What do you suggest?

I noticed that the 256gb version is often faster than the bigger brother due to thermal throttling.

Depends on what your primary use for it is going to be. If you are going to be hammering it with intensive reads/writes continuously for hours at a time for something considered mission critical, then you may have legitimate justification to forego the capacity to get the most throughput, TBW endurance, P/E cycles, and warranty.

...but if you are part of the remaining 99% of users on Earth, then just get the most SSD capacity that money will buy while getting what you personally deem as decent/acceptable throughput, TBW endurance, P/E cycles, and warranty.

Depends on what your primary use for it is going to be. If you are going to be hammering it with intensive reads/writes continuously for hours at a time for something considered mission critical, then you may have legitimate justification to forego the capacity to get the most throughput, TBW endurance, P/E cycles, and warranty.

...but if you are part of the remaining 99% of users on Earth, then just get the most SSD capacity that money will buy while getting what you personally deem as decent/acceptable throughput, TBW endurance, P/E cycles, and warranty.

The problem is that 512GB is too few to get it as a primary hard drive (OS, gaming, coding + virtual machines) and too much to get it as a OS only drive.
256GB is a strange size.

I want to eliminate my 2TB HDD for everything that isn't photos or videos and I need at least a 1TB for this.
I don't know if keeping a 256GB 950 and a 1TB 850 or wait for the 1TB 950.

there was a or several reviews that put a fan on the 512GB and throttle was solved. It only needs a little airflow. So don't have a crappy case and don't leave it fanless and near large amount of heat -_-

I forget the review but someone tested it with making sure it had air flow and problem was solved.
The problem is that 512GB is too few to get it as a primary hard drive (OS, gaming, coding + virtual machines) and too much to get it as a OS only drive.
256GB is a strange size.

I want to eliminate my 2TB HDD for everything that isn't photos or videos and I need at least a 1TB for this.
I don't know if keeping a 256GB 950 and a 1TB 850 or wait for the 1TB 950.

I am getting the 512GB for now and will nab 2 1TB for RAID 0 as my main data drive. I plan in getting the mx200 when there is another drive drop. It is stupid cheap.

256GB is a strange size.

To each their own.

I dual boot Linux and Windows, so I need two main OS partitions, and my 400GB Intel 740 is WAY overkill for me.

For the longest time I'd been using a 256GB Samsung 850 before that and it was fine too.

OS and programs only though. Files on NAS.

Anyone get an Amazon notice for an updated release date?

Yep, I was having mine overnight-ed to me, expecting it on Friday, so I could build my new PC this weekend, but now the release is Sunday and delivery is Tuesday. :mad:

So, I'll save $4 and use the free 2-day shipping. Not sure when I'll get to the build now. Oh well, I'll have extra time to flush rads and such.

ya i hammer mine daily and never goes above 50c.but i have a corsair air 540 which is a awesome case.the biggest killer is people that have sli and no airflow.

Last edited:
you be surprised, when manufacturers send out free kit, there is a review guide that is sent alongside that kit e.g. on the nvidia gtx 960 notice how every single reviewer concentrated on 1080p and compared to the 600 series instead of 700 series, well nvidia told them to do that.

A reviewer can ignore such a guide but then they would likely get blacklisted from further freebies.

Very good point. Similar to movie reviews and other stuff.

Thanks Samsung for being so consistent grrrrr. Amazon change of shipping date.

We're writing about the order you placed . Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW"
Estimated arrival date: November 04, 2015

thanks. I knew I saw that somewhere. Basically, don't have a shit case with no air flow derp :D
I wonder how well these will do even in high airflow cases as most designs don't direct any air down on the motherboard just across it

I wonder how well these will do even in high airflow cases as most designs don't direct any air down on the motherboard just across it

almost every case has an intake on the side panel....Plus if you have a GPU like windforce or anything like that those push a lot of air everywhere.

or if you actually have a good case like the core x9 you have fans everywhere...or at least if you want to.

so again it comes down to dont buy a crap 50 dollar case....i never understand this. Your case lasts eternity and yet people buy the crappiest cases in the world.

almost every case has an intake on the side panel....Plus if you have a GPU like windforce or anything like that those push a lot of air everywhere.

or if you actually have a good case like the core x9 you have fans everywhere...or at least if you want to.

so again it comes down to dont buy a crap 50 dollar case....i never understand this. Your case lasts eternity and yet people buy the crappiest cases in the world.
Almost every case has a side intake? I'd say less than half of the popular cases do - none of the Corsair Obsidian models or "high airflow" cubes do, nor do most of the current Lian Li line up. Silverstone FT02 and FT05 have great airflow but not a side intake. Windforce isn't going to direct air onto the motherboard either. Will be interesting to see how much airflow these need - perhaps it's not that much depending on location of M.2 slot and arrangement of GPU(s).

Top down coolers like the Noctua CH-N14 could also help.

Almost every case has a side intake? I'd say less than half of the popular cases do - none of the Corsair Obsidian models or "high airflow" cubes do, nor do most of the current Lian Li line up. Silverstone FT02 and FT05 have great airflow but not a side intake. Windforce isn't going to direct air onto the motherboard either. Will be interesting to see how much airflow these need - perhaps it's not that much depending on location of M.2 slot and arrangement of GPU(s).

Top down coolers like the Noctua CH-N14 could also help.

ummm yea it does. That blows into the heatsink so the heat goes down and up so plenty of air hits the motherboard.

All the cases I have looked at have side fans as far as I can recall. My Core x9 has fans everywhere...or can. I just don't have it set like that ATM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=Cat_Computer-Cases_1-_-VisNav-_-ATXFullTower

large amount of those have side fans or at least bottom fans that hit the MB.

I still think getting airflow on this can't be that hard. I mean I dont own one case that couldn't do that and thats about 6. And several of them i would classify as crap cases but they were craiglist computers.

22921_gigabyte_gtx_780_windforce_x3_oc_intro.jpg

ummm yea it does. That blows into the heatsink so the heat goes down and up so plenty of air hits the motherboard.

All the cases I have looked at have side fans as far as I can recall. My Core x9 has fans everywhere...or can. I just don't have it set like that ATM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=Cat_Computer-Cases_1-_-VisNav-_-ATXFullTower

large amount of those have side fans or at least bottom fans that hit the MB.

I still think getting airflow on this can't be that hard. I mean I dont own one case that couldn't do that and thats about 6. And several of them i would classify as crap cases but they were craiglist computers.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_file/22921_gigabyte_gtx_780_windforce_x3_oc_intro.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]give it a rest and quit trying to make everything into an argument
you've never looked at a case that didn't have a side fan? really?
I get your core x9 case has fans everywhere, that's a pretty niche product based on the form factor and design
you completely glossed over the fact that a great deal of cases don't have side air intakes, including a lot of popular game cases which I named above
yes, a lot of cases do, but a lot don't, the majority of cases don't - a lot of high end cases have side windows with no venting
stop and think before posting....the windforce cards do not direct air onto the motherboard, do I need to diagram this? yes they do blow a lot of air around and some of that air will inevitably come in contact with the motherboard, not the same thing
also keep in mind on most motherboards, the M.2 card is mounted parallel to the motherboard so sideways airflow is going to have very little surface area contact and may well be located under the graphics card

give it a rest and quit trying to make everything into an argument
you've never looked at a case that didn't have a side fan? really?
I get your core x9 case has fans everywhere, that's a pretty niche product based on the form factor and design
you completely glossed over the fact that a great deal of cases don't have side air intakes, including a lot of popular game cases which I named above
yes, a lot of cases do, but a lot don't, the majority of cases don't - a lot of high end cases have side windows with no venting
stop and think before posting....the windforce cards do not direct air onto the motherboard, do I need to diagram this? yes they do blow a lot of air around and some of that air will inevitably come in contact with the motherboard, not the same thing
also keep in mind on most motherboards, the M.2 card is mounted parallel to the motherboard so sideways airflow is going to have very little surface area contact and may well be located under the graphics card

lol dude. The air has two places to go up or down on the windforce. It blows air into the heatsink and the heatsink channels it up and down and some to the PCB, which is then directed in a 360 degree plane perpendicular to the motherboard. Who needs a diagram?

again I conceded that many dont but most all have bottom fans too and is it that difficult to get air onto the card? how about this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=PCI...0CF8QsARqFQoTCLqXxJDq5sgCFcRyPgodbbcPOg&dpr=1

I am not arguing I am pointing out the sillyness to worry about being able to cool this. It really isn't that hard -_- You are making an issue out of nothing. So who is really arguing? I simply pointed to countless solutions to a small problem that is not hard to fix. I could come up with more solutions but I am not going to waste my time on you.

The 950 Pro kind of reminds me of the original Killer NIC from a while back.

card.jpg

Black PCB, bold performance claims, but only a couple percent gains on tests where it even won.

card.jpg

Black PCB, bold performance claims, but only a couple percent gains on tests where it even won.

Killer NIC or Not. I bet you more of these 950 Pro's end in peoples pc's in a month than Killer NIC has in it's life time ;)

The reviews all seem supportive of it

Amazon changed release date to Nov 2nd now, +1 day, but I still show an ETA of 11/3.

Amazon changed release date to Nov 2nd now, +1 day, but I still show an ETA of 11/3.

At the end I bought a Samsung 850 EVO for gaming 1TB and it will arrive next week and a Samsung 950 PRO 512GB for OS and software.

The problem is that Amazon.co.UK says that they will ship my 950 on 23 of December. Are they fool?

These aren't any where close to Killer NIC's. The 950's are a release version of their NVMe OEM drive, SM951. It definitely hits the mark for what Samsung wanted and a lot of prospective buyers are interested.

This thing will be an absolute HIT with professional level PC's. Killer NIC was a company trying to turn a dumb card into a smart card, improving a very small portion of latency while requiring overly complicated drivers.

Waiting for 128gb m.2 nvme at a sensible price.

1. there isn't one of those being made.

2. why? you would take a large performance hit with that and make the drive completely pointless and you would be better off buying a 256/512 GB SATA

1. there isn't one of those being made.

2. why? you would take a large performance hit with that and make the drive completely pointless and you would be better off buying a 256/512 GB SATA

Yes because the 128gb SM951 NVMe was a total failure wasn't it :rolleyes:

you would take a large performance hit with that and make the drive completely pointless
So what you're saying is, it would drop the 2% gain the 950 Pro has on SATA drives to 0%, making a 128GB completely pointless. Ok. Remind me again why the +2% isn't just as pointless?

Back