Ryzen Owners Thread

Well, that's all that was on there in the first place. I like 7 better so I'll run that for a while since I have no DX12 games anyways.

True that, I was just being curious oh well.
As long as your getting the performance you deserve, fuck W10, I still don't use it on my gaming rig.
Glad you got it working decent at least.

True that, I was just being curious oh well.
As long as your getting the performance you deserve, fuck W10, I still don't use it on my gaming rig.
Glad you got it working decent at least.

I was actually impressed at how smooth Ryzen feels in Windows 7. Did all the updates with WSUS in about 20-30 minutes and its been golden since then. Have auto update shut off now so I don't get the nagware.

Took some tinkering and reading but got my double rank 32gb of ram rated at 3200 to run at 3100 on my Crosshair VI. Could probably tinker with it some more to get it stable at 3200, but this is close enough for me. I had to run my fsb at 116.4 which is no big deal since my video card is just a 290x anyway. The Asus ROG forum has helped me the most with getting memory speed up there as Raja from Asus has been posting there on things to try and what has worked and has not.

I was actually impressed at how smooth Ryzen feels in Windows 7. Did all the updates with WSUS in about 20-30 minutes and its been golden since then. Have auto update shut off now so I don't get the nagware.

Good to hear! Now enjoy it.

Got my 1600X machine up and running. Setup was a breeze, took about 3 hours total (including BIOS update and Windows 10 install). Everything all-in around $1,200.

AMD RYZEN 5 1600X
GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-HD3
G.SKILL FORTIS 16GB 2666
MSI Radeon RX 460
Corsair Force MP500 120GB
Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
Corsair Carbide Air 240
SeaSonic G-750

upload_2017-4-21_19-33-18.png

Having a second Ryzen machine, I had a much better experience. Maybe because hardware/software improvements over the last 6 weeks, but I literally had no problems whatsoever. Did update BIOS before I did anything so maybe that helps. FORTIS RAM correctly loaded at it's max speed of 2666 without me touching anything.

One thing I didn't know before but now do. *Before* installing Windows 10, unplug the SATA cable from all drives except the boot drive. And be sure to go in BIOS and enable Windows 10 WHQL *and* UEFI mode (disable legacy or compatibility modes). If you don't do this your Windows could put files on the wrong drive or install using old formats (causing slow boot time).

After doing those steps, and also probably because the Corsair M.2 drive is screaming on this motherboard, I can boot into Windows in under 10 seconds. This is a breath of fresh air from the MSI Titanium which has really slow booting (maybe due to a conflict with the Samsung Evo).

upload_2017-4-21_19-33-26.png

That is a life-size Batman on my 125" projector (see A/C and door for size reference). This is actually running on my big Ryzen 1800X / RX 480 CF machine on Steam In-Home Streaming over WiFi to my new little Ryzen machine with an RX 460 in the living room.

The stream is perfect, less than 1ms input lag and about 30ms of video latency but it looks just like running native on the host and totally smooth at 1080P 60fps. Really nice.

You may ask why I got an RX 460 and not something better. Well, since I found the streaming works so well, it's easier to keep all my games on the main machine and then just pipe that into the living room. Though I may decide to do something more with this machine in the future, so I made sure the core parts were solid (I can easily upgrade the video card later).

Overall definitely digging it.

Last edited:
That is a life-size Batman on my 125" projector (see A/C and door for size reference). This is actually running on my big Ryzen 1800X / RX 480 CF machine on Steam In-Home Streaming over WiFi to my new little Ryzen machine with an RX 460 in the living room.

The stream is perfect, less than 1ms input lag and about 30ms of video latency but it looks just like running native on the host and totally smooth at 1080P 60fps. Really nice.

You may ask why I got an RX 460 and not something better. Well, since I found the streaming works so well, it's easier to keep all my games on the main machine and then just pipe that into the living room. Though I may decide to do something more with this machine in the future, so I made sure the core parts were solid (I can easily upgrade the video card later).

Overall definitely digging it.

Can you elaborate on the steam streaming? This is honestly the first time I ever heard of it and it sounds quite interesting if for example I could use my 1700X/1080ti rig to pipe games to my i5/1050ti laptop.

It's a feature of Steam called In-Home Streaming. The only thing you need is a powerful host machine and a good home network. They recommend wired, wireless can be a hit or miss depending on your network and range. However the client machine can be cheap, though it helps to have some hardware decoding features (mostly any new GPU, even cheap ones will have it).

I'm using an 802.11ac adapter on the client machine and host is wired. Laptop would be fine as long as the connection is fast enough. Sadly my Surface Pro 4 couldn't cut it with wireless speed. At least with a laptop you can add a faster adapter.

For anyone who has the Asus Prime X370 Pro and bios firmware 0604, make sure you run Cinebench 11.5 and 15 with the bias set to the aforementioned programs. Once you do that, the overall scores will increase. For instance I was getting 18.49 at 3.8GHz but once I set the bias to Cinebench 11.5, I got 19.15. In version 15, I went from 1661 to 1706. :) I have no idea what the bias does but, it definitely increased my scores.

Quick settings change from 3.7Ghz 1.25v on the spire to 3.9Ghz 1.375v on water AND still 20-25C cooler :) Its only in 45 min now but its hanging around at 61C.

Ryzen really doesn't like this Hynix kit I have, but if I leave it at 2133mhz this chip really has some legs. Currently an hour into realbench at 4125mhz 1.400V.

Ryzen really doesn't like this Hynix kit I have, but if I leave it at 2133mhz this chip really has some legs. Currently an hour into realbench at 4125mhz 1.400V.

Damn thats a nice overclock, I need 1.43 just to keep 3900 stable, however my memory runs at 3000 with double rank dimms.

Damn thats a nice overclock, I need 1.43 just to keep 3900 stable, however my memory runs at 3000 with double rank dimms.

I ran out of time for testing and backed it down to 4050mhz for now, I don't think I'll be able to maintain that high with faster RAM anyways and I'd rather have 1000mhz faster RAM than 75mhz faster CPU. It really does NOT like this G-skill 2666 kit with Hynix IC's.

Already posted in K5 and Mem speed threads, so I'll summarize here:
Multi 35, VDD +0.1V iirc, VRAM 1.25V, bclk 105.05, ram multi 26.66.
Memory is stable at 2800 CAS14-14-14-14, CPU is "stable" at 3.68GHz. PC crashed hard with cinebench at 36 multi (3.78GHz)
Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5 (F2 firmware)
G.Skill Ripjaw 2800C16 2x8GB
Ryzen 5 1600 (USA/Malaysia)

CPU-Z has received an upgrade to it's integrated benchmark utility that gives Ryzen lower scores than the previous version. Do not compare your previous scores to the new results, as the algorithms are different.

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2017/05/02/cpu-z-1-79-benchmark/1

EDIT: After doing some digging, it seems not only is Ryzen affected, but all AMD & Intel CPU's are affected.

The company also addressed an odd effect of the new benchmark algorithms: an apparent drop in performance when comparing an AMD Ryzen processor to an equivalent Intel processor, which is not reflected by the higher-scoring results of the previous releases. 'After a deep investigation, we found out that the code of the benchmark felt [sic] into a special case on Ryzen microarchitecture because of an unexpected sequence of integer instructions. These operations added a noticeable but similar delay in all existing microarchitectures at the time the previous benchmark was developed. When Ryzen was released, we found out that their ALUs executed this unexpected sequence in a much more efficient way, leading to results that mismatch the average performance of that new architecture,' the company has claimed. 'We reviewed many software and synthetics benchmarks without being able to find a single case where such a performance boost occurs. We're now convinced that this special case is very unlikely to happen in real-world applications.'

Last edited:
CPU-Z has received an upgrade to it's integrated benchmark utility that gives Ryzen lower scores than the previous version. Do not compare your previous scores to the new results, as the algorithms are different.

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2017/05/02/cpu-z-1-79-benchmark/1

EDIT: After doing some digging, it seems not only is Ryzen affected, but all AMD & Intel CPU's are affected.

Yes the scores are lower but the 1800X still gives the I& 6950X a run for its money on multicore and equals it in singlecore

Attachments

• Capturecpu-z.PNG
    Capturecpu-z.PNG
    745.3 KB · Views: 44
Yes the scores are lower but the 1800X still gives the I& 6950X a run for its money on multicore and equals it in singlecore

Yeah I agree, but now that people realize that SSE2 was the main driving force behind the bench, their crying foul, thinking that Intel paid off CPUID to fudge the utility and vice versa, saying that AMD paid them off to not use AVX so Ryzen would be seen in a better light. You can never do enough to please everyone, but it takes next to nothing to start a conspiracy. :p

Well under Windows 7 World of Warships is locked at 76fps, the max for the game, compared to 25-28fps under 10 CU.

A little late to the party but its stupid warships. There is something off on it at times. I don't have a Ryzen system yet ( I actually own the 7700k CPU got it last night as a bday gift but swapping for a 1700 or 1700x), but on a machine I use that has a i7 4770, if I have chrome running there is a high chance that I will hit like 5 fps. The moment I close chrome most of the time it works fine again, sometimes I have to restart the client. It is pretty weird and annoying. I can also have a hyper v VM running Windows 10 or have my code compiling with out issues running WoWs at the same time in windowed mode. But with chrome it's a whole bunch of screw you here have some torpedo soup.

I use this computer as a workstation and it only has a 650 . This machine will be upgraded this summer from 8.1 to 10 once i have some downtime. I just hate resetting up my visual studios environment and getting everything setup the same again.

My current gaming rig is a 4.5 GHz 2500k i5 with a 1060 on windows 10, running a ultra wide monitor. I can play warships, and stream it using obs studio and have okay framerates with okay quality. WoWs or OBS studio had an update recently that allowed me to do this. About a month ago my system would die if I used the same quality settings as I do today.

I have a feeling the patch that they removed xp and vista compatibility helped a lot. Still this game is very CPU heavy and not the best optimized. I should have time before the next supremacy league season to get things running smoothly again with the new system.

Just a heads up for anyone that may be experiencing this problem: I have an Asus Prime X370 Pro and a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo with a push pull fan setup. Randomly, one of the fans would take off and run at full speed and the only fix was to reboot the computer. It turns out, HWInfo64 was the cause of the problem because, ever since I stopped using it, the fans run just as they should days later. (This is a computer that runs 24/7.)

A little late to the party but its stupid warships. There is something off on it at times. I don't have a Ryzen system yet ( I actually own the 7700k CPU got it last night as a bday gift but swapping for a 1700 or 1700x), but on a machine I use that has a i7 4770, if I have chrome running there is a high chance that I will hit like 5 fps. The moment I close chrome most of the time it works fine again, sometimes I have to restart the client. It is pretty weird and annoying. I can also have a hyper v VM running Windows 10 or have my code compiling with out issues running WoWs at the same time in windowed mode. But with chrome it's a whole bunch of screw you here have some torpedo soup.

I use this computer as a workstation and it only has a 650 . This machine will be upgraded this summer from 8.1 to 10 once i have some downtime. I just hate resetting up my visual studios environment and getting everything setup the same again.

My current gaming rig is a 4.5 GHz 2500k i5 with a 1060 on windows 10, running a ultra wide monitor. I can play warships, and stream it using obs studio and have okay framerates with okay quality. WoWs or OBS studio had an update recently that allowed me to do this. About a month ago my system would die if I used the same quality settings as I do today.

I have a feeling the patch that they removed xp and vista compatibility helped a lot. Still this game is very CPU heavy and not the best optimized. I should have time before the next supremacy league season to get things running smoothly again with the new system.

Thanks for the input! I have now put a fresh install of 10 Pro back on the machine and warships seems to run fine on it, so I think you're right. I do have lots of issues with games while I run chrome in the background, I think its causing the GPU to get stuck in low power mode.

Just a heads up for anyone that may be experiencing this problem: I have an Asus Prime X370 Pro and a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo with a push pull fan setup. Randomly, one of the fans would take off and run at full speed and the only fix was to reboot the computer. It turns out, HWInfo64 was the cause of the problem because, ever since I stopped using it, the fans run just as they should days later. (This is a computer that runs 24/7.)

nice one , such things can be somewhat of a burden , can't explain why and there seems no logical reason for it , even after you found what causes it :) .

Thanks for the input! I have now put a fresh install of 10 Pro back on the machine and warships seems to run fine on it, so I think you're right. I do have lots of issues with games while I run chrome in the background, I think its causing the GPU to get stuck in low power mode.

Just swapped in the new MB, CPU and Memory, running the 1700 stock and memory at 2400 (only thing I can get to boot with my quick attempt). Ran WoWS max settings, Ultrawide, OBS Studio downscaling to 720p height bitrate at 5000kbs, and CPU preset at medium I was holding around 50-60 fps. I also had TS open and a few chrome tabs with one running my stream so I can see the quality as it happens.

I got to say this was a really worthwhile upgrade as before I had lots of issues streaming.

Just swapped in the new MB, CPU and Memory, running the 1700 stock and memory at 2400 (only thing I can get to boot with my quick attempt). Ran WoWS max settings, Ultrawide, OBS Studio downscaling to 720p height bitrate at 5000kbs, and CPU preset at medium I was holding around 50-60 fps. I also had TS open and a few chrome tabs with one running my stream so I can see the quality as it happens.

I got to say this was a really worthwhile upgrade as before I had lots of issues streaming.
It's definitely a good streamer!

Is anyone running EVGA 16GB @ the rated 3200MHz on an Asus Prime X370-Pro? I have only gotten it to 2933MHz.

In case anyone's curious, the core/soc voltage does appear to drop when using offset voltage and overclocking (bclk+core).

102 bclk, 35.25 core, 2999c14-15-15
Vcore:+.090, Vsoc:+.012, vDIMM:1.4
vIN0: 0.48, vIN1:0.87, vIN2:1.00 at idle
vIN0: 1.31, vIN1:1.10, vIN2:1.10 at load

0 and 1 appear to be vcore and vsoc, respectively. Not sure about 2. 3-6 don't change based on load. Values read using "sensors" under ArchLinux with it87-git from AUR (need to load the module manually)
Gigabyte X370 gaming K5
R 5 1600, ripjaws 4 2800c16 (hynix m-die)

Last edited:
Had to move my 1700X build back into the AIR 540, the NZXT S340 Elite was just too small once I put the EVGA Hybrid kit on my 1080ti. Having an interesting problem now though, the Asus Aura software and the Corsair Link RGB software conflict. If I run the Link it sets my other LEDs to a random solid color so I'm just letting it be at default for now.

Moving to the bigger case also dropped my gaming temps a few degrees, since I have much more airflow. Seeing around 58C playing DA:I at 4000mhz 1.395V.

IMG_0395.jpg

Had to move my 1700X build back into the AIR 540, the NZXT S340 Elite was just too small once I put the EVGA Hybrid kit on my 1080ti. Having an interesting problem now though, the Asus Aura software and the Corsair Link RGB software conflict. If I run the Link it sets my other LEDs to a random solid color so I'm just letting it be at default for now.

Moving to the bigger case also dropped my gaming temps a few degrees, since I have much more airflow. Seeing around 58C playing DA:I at 4000mhz 1.395V.

IMG_0395.jpg
Why invest so much in a graphics card , mothertboard, and cpu and then buy such an inferior water cooler as a Corsair aio? At least buy a quality aio like Alphacool Eisbaer or Swoftech, or EK???? Crappy product, crappy software.

Running World of Warships and Eve Online simultaneously on my Ryzen rig. Switch back and forth between the two. Let's me do basic mining operations to make ISK and play WoW at the same time. Performance is perfect.

I once had a Corsair H100i. The Corsair Link software has always been buggy , unreliable, and sometimes causing system hangs. I said exactly what I meant. You need reliability when you build a nice system. Corsair just doesn't give that reliability. It 's cooling capability is lacking and its software has always been a problem. Why bother?. For $30 to $50 more you can get a quality AIO. That is why you are having a problem. You can control your fans for the pump and radiator from within the bios. Then you do not get software conflicts. Believe me I am not attempting to make you feel bad , simply offer you a better more reliable method of you achieving your goals. I talk bluntly, but always honestly.

Corsair link on my h110i has been perfect since i set up my ryzen build. I think i had it close out once on me and that was before the update. its been rock solid since

Corsair link on my h110i has been perfect since i set up my ryzen build. I think i had it close out once on me and that was before the update. its been rock solid since

Still an inferior AIO product manufactured by Asetek. Asetek has never made a quality AIO. There radiators are aluminum , not copper or brass, their pumps are weak and not built to last. What else do you need to know. Penny pinching on a cpu water cooler is penny wise and pound foolish.

I once had a Corsair H100i. The Corsair Link software has always been buggy , unreliable, and sometimes causing system hangs. I said exactly what I meant. You need reliability when you build a nice system. Corsair just doesn't give that reliability. It 's cooling capability is lacking and its software has always been a problem. Why bother?. For $30 to $50 more you can get a quality AIO. That is why you are having a problem. You can control your fans for the pump and radiator from within the bios. Then you do not get software conflicts. Believe me I am not attempting to make you feel bad , simply offer you a better more reliable method of you achieving your goals. I talk bluntly, but always honestly.

This thing was free - bet you can't beat that with your ass-ugly Alphacool unit. I have 3 dead Swiftech H220 and H220X in my closet, they're garbage. The pumps all died within weeks of use (meanwhile I have an original H50 from 2009 that works great to this day - actual plastic tube means no leeching). I control my fans with a manual fan controller, the only thing I want the software for is to make the LED on the top of the pump to not be green, nothing else. Just so you know, Gigabyte RGB software conflicts with the Asus Aura too, but I'm guessing you have some smart comments about their products as well.

This thing was free - bet you can't beat that with your ass-ugly Alphacool unit. I have 3 dead Swiftech H220 and H220X in my closet, they're garbage. The pumps all died within weeks of use (meanwhile I have an original H50 from 2009 that works great to this day - actual plastic tube means no leeching). I control my fans with a manual fan controller, the only thing I want the software for is to make the LED on the top of the pump to not be green, nothing else. Just so you know, Gigabyte RGB software conflicts with the Asus Aura too, but I'm guessing you have some smart comments about their products as well.

First the Alphacool Eishaer 360 is NOT ugly. Its blue led matches my front case leds and looks cool through the tempered glass on my case. I do remember in the few months before I had bought my Swiftech H320 that their early pump design was flawed. I bought my unit after they redesigned the pump and improved the quality control in their plant in China. I used it for three years without issue. I still have it. If I decide to ever go through the trouble of replacing the tubing and fluids, I could still use it. The EK AIO has been without flaw . I have never seen any negative comments on the net for EK and Alphacool AIO's in my Google searches. Your attempt to negate my statement is without merit and is completely subjective in my opinion.

First the Alphacool Eishaer 360 is NOT ugly. Its blue led matches my front case leds and looks cool through the tempered glass on my case. I do remember in the few months before I had bought my Swiftech H320 that their early pump design was flawed. I bought my unit after they redesigned the pump and improved the quality control in their plant in China. I used it for three years without issue. I still have it. If I decide to ever go through the trouble of replacing the tubing and fluids, I could still use it. The EK AIO has been without flaw . I have never seen any negative comments on the net for EK and Alphacool AIO's in my Google searches. Your attempt to negate my statement is without merit and is completely subjective in my opinion.

Your statement was bullshit and has no need to be negated. Take your trolling elsewhere.

I think it's ugly. So ugly, I've never even seen it. That's 2 votes for ugly.

Back