Ryzen Owners Thread

Here's a couple of pics of my new 1700 rig. Been rock stable at [email protected].

dXhW6RK.jpg

XAkhMaQ.jpg

That is absolutely, beautiful, bro!

You all have made me question my PC motto of "Function Over Form & Looks!"

So I made a jenky loop last night to see what this thing can do on water... some garbage pump thats at least 6-7 years old and some tubing thats been used several times along with an AM3 block I had hanging around. But temps are good! Highest I've seen is 42C. Was sad my XSPC 360mm didn't fit in the front of the case, so I ended up taking apart a broken Swiftech H240 and using that radiator. Its been in my closet for years.

Thats right, brand new 1080ti and a water loop that has about $12 worth of parts in it.

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Not bad for some left over parts. How are you liking that Air 540? All I can say is I love mine. Great case.

Not bad for some left over parts. How are you liking that Air 540? All I can say is I love mine. Great case.

I like it but I haven't been using it. My rig was in an S340 elite previously, but it didn't have room for this pump so the Air 540 came out of storage. I'm honestly looking at the Thermaltake Tower 900, its huge but its pretty much exactly what I want. This was an experiment to see if its worth putting Ryzen under water, and so far it seems like it is. I was able to push out 4.0ghz on less volts than it took with the Noctua cooler on it. Planning a full rigid loop with a block on the 1080ti in the next few weeks.

So I made a jenky loop last night to see what this thing can do on water... some garbage pump thats at least 6-7 years old and some tubing thats been used several times along with an AM3 block I had hanging around. But temps are good! Highest I've seen is 42C. Was sad my XSPC 360mm didn't fit in the front of the case, so I ended up taking apart a broken Swiftech H240 and using that radiator. Its been in my closet for years.

Thats right, brand new 1080ti and a water loop that has about $12 worth of parts in it.

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

You may consider it "jenky" but it still looks very nice to me!

You may consider it "jenky" but it still looks very nice to me!

Its only because the lighting is bad! THe tubing is stained green from some random coolant in it, the pump is filled with sparkles from a mayhems metallic dye thats about 5 years old (I've been flushing it from time to time for at least that long and the shit still keeps coming), and rattles like an old lawnmower. The radiator is filthy. Oh, and its filled with town tap water :D Its really pretty bad in person but it gets the job done temporarily. I just hope the block doesn't clog up too fast, the sparkles love the microchannels.

"$12"...right, for just one of those quick disconnects, maybe. :p

Still, looks half decent for being just thrown together. Now tear it apart, clean it, and give it some fresh tubing! :D

"$12"...right, for just one of those quick disconnects, maybe. :p

Still, looks half decent for being just thrown together. Now tear it apart, clean it, and give it some fresh tubing! :D

Those QD's were new in probably 2011. They're the only part of it still worth anything and nobody wants them because they're gigantic :D

Like I said, a brand new loop with rigid tubing is coming down the pipe, just wanted to start working my overclock before then.

I ended up buying the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, which pretty much the only cooler that comes with the AM4 mount and is also low-profile.

Though I like the look and performance of the Cryorig C1 better, I just don't feel like waiting for weeks for this AM4 upgrade kit, whenever that will come.

Originally I was turned off by the beige fan on the Noctua, but I didn't consider I could just replace the fan with something nicer. Got a different Noctua fan that is more grayish that will look nice in the build.

1090T @ 3700 to 1600X (stock) w/T4 Cooler

8GB's Ram each: 1090T w/ 800mhz DDR2 - Ryzen @ 2400Mhz

BB XFX 480 w/8GBs @ 1325mhz

Everything is snappier and all games run smoother and load quicker, especially GTA5 which almost doubled in frames.

Firestrick went up 2200 points

Prime x370 MB allowed me to loose all my expansion boards for USB devices, HD's, & Soundcard (Retired: Audigy ZS PCI) so all i have now is the GPU.

Moved all HD's& PS from old platform to new and booted first time without 1 problem.

Overall very impressed so far. Not one lock-up, BSOD, or problem. I did try to set a 40x multiplier w/o doing anything else. Booted fine but crashed sometime during the Firestrike bench. I reset everything back to stock and will go back to it later, system runs very good as is.

Ordered my 1600 from jet; between the 15% (up to $20) promo and 1.5% from ibotta, saved about $13 off amazon price (not counting the 1% from my credit card). Could have been more, but they charge tax in LA.

Just have to wait for it and my motherboard to arrive now...
Edit:MB shipped! :D

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, which pretty much the only cooler that comes with the AM4 mount and is also low-profile.

Just an FYI for anyone else who'd like to know, my Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler was packaged with an AM4 mount as well.

Saw this on Anandtech, I figured crossposting this to here would be useful.

This guy according to his opening post in the Overclock.net thread, works for ROG MB R&D.

Saw this on Anandtech, I figured crossposting this to here would be useful.

This guy according to his opening post in the Overclock.net thread, works for ROG MB R&D.

He posts on hwbot forums too. He posted that 6 days ago. on overclockers . Here is the problem with the bios updates is that are these the first in the pipeline and if so how many are there going to follow which will do more then ddr4 kit compatibility patches.
It could be several months before we get a bios you could consider "retail".

There is an AMD blog post on the future of bios updates as well.

Does anyone play world of warships on this cpu? Even at 4ghz I'm getting horrific frame rates, like 25-28 all the time no matter what.

Does anyone play world of warships on this cpu? Even at 4ghz I'm getting horrific frame rates, like 25-28 all the time no matter what.

Bottom line is Ryzen is inferior to Intel chips in gaming for the most part. I'm gaming with my Ryzen, but my Intel rig is better for frame rates. Simple truth, regardless of the AMD marketers around the web and here at the [H].

Bottom line is Ryzen is inferior to Intel chips in gaming for the most part. I'm gaming with my Ryzen, but my Intel rig is better for frame rates. Simple truth, regardless of the AMD marketers around the web and here at the [H].

Look dude, my FX8350 stock could get 60-70fps in the game, which points to a bug specifically with this chip. If you have nothing useful to contribute get the fuck out of the thread.

Might try cutting SMT off. Some games don't like it from what I hear.

Look dude, my FX8350 stock could get 60-70fps in the game, which points to a bug specifically with this chip. If you have nothing useful to contribute get the fuck out of the thread.

Let me contribute then. Quit sucking at the AMD tit because they don't care about you. My Ryzen gets 70 FPS so your setup is fucked up. Common sense would have told you that and you wouldn't have asked a stupid question. So get the fuck out of this thread.

Let me contribute then. Quit sucking at the AMD tit because they don't care about you. My Ryzen gets 70 FPS so your setup is fucked up. Common sense would have told you that and you wouldn't have asked a stupid question. So get the fuck out of this thread.

Go troll somewhere else. You're not useful and you're not funny.

I tried that first, the weird thing is World of Tanks uses the same engine but has no issue with 150+ fps.
I have zero experience with these games, so I can't really guarantee what I'm about to say will at all apply, but that being said... Here is what I'd do if I were in your shoes
Do they have a settings INI file that you can perhaps cut and paste the graphics portion out of WoT and into WoWS?
Do each game have any accompanying .dll files in their main directory, and if so are they the same versions in each? If not, perhaps try swapping the old higher-performing one from WoT into WoWS (backing up original of course).
Is the water animated in WoWS? While the "terrain" may be less populated with hills and vegitation, the water texture may be high enough resolution to be causing issue... maybe?

In an effort to help resolve this silly squabble... I kinda get the impression that LigTasm was responding with the notion that you were responding as an Intel Troll, whose sole mission is to put down Ryzen whenever possible. As such, feels like it was a sort of knee-jerk reaction by him. Not excusing his response, but just that there has (and will continue to be) a lot of 'Well, if you want solid gaming performance, buy an Intel chip!' responses thrown around, which no doubt has worn on some of us more than other.
.... and damn. Attempt at difussing the situation... hampered. Didn't get this typed in time :( lol

In an effort to help resolve this silly squabble... I kinda get the impression that LigTasm was responding with the notion that you were responding as an Intel Troll, whose sole mission is to put down Ryzen whenever possible. As such, feels like it was a sort of knee-jerk reaction by him. Not excusing his response, but just that there has (and will continue to be) a lot of 'Well, if you want solid gaming performance, buy an Intel chip!' responses thrown around, which no doubt has worn on some of us more than other.
.... and damn. Attempt at difussing the situation... hampered. Didn't get this typed in time :( lol

My response doesn't need to be excused because he was trolling. I've seen enough people in here derailing threads for the sake of bashing on anything AMD and I'm done with it, is hes going to be a shithead I'm going to call him on it. If the mods disagree, they can ban me. Otherwise he can fuck right off with the trolling.

So yeah... I'm the OP and the whole point of this thread was to get feedback about ryzen owners and not the usual douche nozzles who look to sabotage any thread consisting of ryzen speak. Per DooKey's sig he is a ryzen owner and that makes his feedback valid. I appreciate the contributions of both parties involved in this squabble. As such, how about we all man up, wipe off our bloodied and swollen vaganuses, drink a Midol smoothie, and get back to constructive discussion about ryzen rigs.

Big hugs and shit...

Well I have nothing but love for both of you. ;) I appreciate reading what both of you have to say.

Now with that said; do you think that the game is pulling the old config file from Steam? Maybe try cutting off Steam Cloud for the game, delete the config, and fire it back up in a virgin state. Afterwards you should be able to cut the Steam Cloud back on for the game with the working config.

If I didn't quite get the steps right, someone can feel free to correct me. ;)

My response doesn't need to be excused because he was trolling. I've seen enough people in here derailing threads for the sake of bashing on anything AMD and I'm done with it, is hes going to be a shithead I'm going to call him on it. If the mods disagree, they can ban me. Otherwise he can fuck right off with the trolling.

There not posting any more in the AMD cpu section as far as I can see. If you do not like someone's response in this thread take a little time maybe ridicule them a bit but you don't have to go overboard.
It is a fresh windows install right , maybe look at some options within windows.
Check how many cores are used and threads in taskmanager.

It is a fresh windows install right , maybe look at some options within windows.
Check how many cores are used and threads in taskmanager.

I run MSI afterburner overlay and it seems to be using several cores at a very low %. In fact none of them seem to go above 10-15% at any point. I tried messing with core affinity and shutting off SMT but neither had any effect. This one game seems to be the only one I have issues with consistently. Every once in a while my frame rate pops up to the max 72fps the game engine will allow but only for a split second.

Windows is a fresh install for this build, although I did do the creators update a few days ago. I'm thinking about running another fresh install with the new CU ISO and see what happens then, maybe something related to this game got broken in the upgrade - although I doubt it because other games are fine. I actually found a youtube video by someone else having the same issue with an overclocked Ryzen but his isn't as bad as mine, he is only dropping into the 40-50fps range. Anything with Sandy Bridge level IPC at 3+ghz should max out this game no problem, like I said my old FX8350 with no overclock could easily run 60-70fps.

My setup is slowly rounding into shape - ram speed is up from 2133mhz on shipping bios to 2666mhz with the latest update. TBH, that's the only 'issue' I've had with the system, that my ram wouldn't run at rated speed, but I bought it knowing it might not out of the box. It's been a pretty steady progression as well, shipping bios was 2133mhzcas15, then update got to 2400cas17, then next update was 2400mhzcas15, now 2666mhzcas16. There was one update prior to the current one that made no change, but it's getting close to rated speed and has been running flawlessly.

One thing to keep in mind b350 vs x370 is the b350 boards seem to be a week or so behind the high end x370's with bios updates and I haven't seen any with p-state o/c available (yet).

If/when an x370 mATX board comes out, I may have to move up.

My setup is slowly rounding into shape - ram speed is up from 2133mhz on shipping bios to 2666mhz with the latest update. TBH, that's the only 'issue' I've had with the system, that my ram wouldn't run at rated speed, but I bought it knowing it might not out of the box. It's been a pretty steady progression as well, shipping bios was 2133mhzcas15, then update got to 2400cas17, then next update was 2400mhzcas15, now 2666mhzcas16. There was one update prior to the current one that made no change, but it's getting close to rated speed and has been running flawlessly.

One thing to keep in mind b350 vs x370 is the b350 boards seem to be a week or so behind the high end x370's with bios updates and I haven't seen any with p-state o/c available (yet).

If/when an x370 mATX board comes out, I may have to move up.
That's weird because I got my Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM running at 2666MHz after changing it to XMP Profile 1 in BIOS F2, which is what it shipped with. And since my rig is running effortlessly at 3.9GHz and 1.35V, I'm not flashing any update unless it I really NEED to!

I'm getting 50-60 consistently.

My setup is slowly rounding into shape - ram speed is up from 2133mhz on shipping bios to 2666mhz with the latest update.

Mine was downclocking and downvolting the RAM to 2133 and 1.185v. Manually set it to 2666 and 1.2v on the B350.

I installed Creators Update last week and updated the BIOS from 2017-03-10 version to 2017-04-10 version immediately.

I have been using my Ryzen system for over a month now and it is out shining my 2600K in almost every way, mainly because my 2600k was a poor overclocker, it could not use HT over 4GHz and I would not break 4.2GHz on all cores even when i tried pushing 1.37v core any more and I worried for the safety of the chip, to say the least my 2600k was more like a sucky 2500k, so with that said every time i see a "any 2600k can get 4.5GHz with HT on at least!" annoys the crap out of me :p

My 1700 @ 3.825GHz is great, games like Hitman, fallout 4, and GTA V were struggling to hit 60FPS especially in hitman and fallout and I had to use Nvidia inspector to limit the FPS to 30 so the CPU could get a break form the games physics engine and only then I could play those games smoothly (fallout 4 did not like 30FPS at all, anything like platforms that moved would move supper jerky at 30FPS). In my case I needed the extra CPU head room as my 2600k was out, now of course in games that are more single thread orientated there is really no gains and some small loss but I have yet to come across something game breaking.

I am for one very happy with this CPU, I think more cores is the way it is going to go for at least now and I look forward to the games that will be coming down the line that will take advantage of the higher core count for the likes of Ryzen or intle's X99 platform for they deserve some multi core love to.

Back