Ryzen Owners Thread

Asus Prime X370 Pro has a bios update available in case you've desperately awaited one.

I just finished the hardware portion of my build yesterday. At default boots up and runs fine - I'll wait until I finish all the software installs before I start tinkering with it, maybe change the fans. I've got a Silverstone 90mm in an 80mm venting out the back and the H50 on a pull configuartion atm.

Went from:
NCase M1 (version 1)
4770k + Corsair H50
Asrock Z87 E-ITX
16gb 1600 (2x8 Corsair XMS3)
Corsair SFX 600
500gb Samsung 850 msata
Gigabyte mini 970 GTX 4gb
Dell 3011 @2560x1600

To:
NCase M1 (version 1)
1700 + Corsair H50 (props to Corsair for the free mount!)
Biostar X370GTN
32gb 3200 (2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX) - currently default 2133
Corsair SFX 600
500gb m.2 Plextor NVME
12gb EVGA Titan X (M) (spare video card I had laying around)
Dell 3011 @2560x1600

I've never used Biostar before and was expecting the worse but it booted right up. From reading the earlier posts in this thread, I'm glad I waited for the memory issues to be (kinda) sorted out before I decided to update my #2rig.

Hey, at least it wasn't a spare tri sli. I bought 2 MSI Hawk Ek 1070's today. Upgraded a single 770 4Gb. I think it will do max settings in UT99 now.

Har! :-D

I normally pass down parts out of my main PC to my 2nd PC (if it compatible with or fits, since #2 is a SFF box) then after that it goes to my nephew for his machine.

And a Titan X (maxwell)'s depreciation got double tapped in the face this generation - First by the Titan X(P) and then by Titan Xp (not to even mention all the 1080s and Tis) . So better to just keep it on a bench as a spare than try to sell it for ...

Got my Ram running at 3200 speed with two 16GB dimms. The latest Asus bios for the Crosshair VI 9945 did the trick for me. Had to enter it manually as the DOCP function did not work. Also have to run in 2T mode but I am quite happy to get it running at the proper speed now.

It's almost done:

IMG_20170528_065219.jpg

I'll probably order an 'proper' SLI bridge since the one included with the CH6 is really ugly and some cable combs but that is pretty-much it.

Nice. My rig looks very similar (same case and everything).

When you get a bridge, make sure it's one of the new HB (high bandwidth) bridges. They are supposed to be better for high res gaming (i.e. 4K or Surround).

Nice. My rig looks very similar (same case and everything).

When you get a bridge, make sure it's one of the new HB (high bandwidth) bridges. They are supposed to be better for high res gaming (i.e. 4K or Surround).

I was hoping to use an older EVGA branded bridge I had laying around but the spacing is incorrect, and it's not an HB bridge. Oh well... I've ordered the EVGA PRO SLI Bridge HB, 1 Slot Spacing. Should be here sometime this week.

Strange thing happened today: after reading a few horror stories about ASUS Aura (had it installed but it was promptly removed), I ran a check on my RAM using a tool made by Elmore and one stick returned a SPD Checksum error. The tool corrected the issue and everything looks OK now. I was certain the issue was limited to RGB RAM...

Well I put together my "lower" end rig with a Ryzen 5 1600 and my B350 Prime Plus board. Still stuck at low speed memory with this board, but I did manage to get 2400mhz instead of 2133 only. Seems like they haven't really been working on the BIOS of this one like they have the CHVI. This 1600 is a nice little chip though, I easily got it running at 3825mhz with stock volts on this basic 4+2 board. I might try for 4ghz+ later on but I'm not worried about it now.

I got the MSI B350 Tomahawk. Luckily Axmp profiles show up in Bios. Corsair Hynix chip 3200 running at 1.35v 2966 tight tmings. Should be on speed after new bios.

Just finished my Ryzen build. My first from scratch build in about 5 years.

Inwin 301 matx case with tempered glass window
Ryzen 1600x stock clocks at the moment
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance ram
Msi mortar arctic matx mobo
Corsair cx550 psu.
Deepcool captain EX 120mm AIO
Evga 6gb gtx 1060 with blower style fan
2 120mm NZXT fans as intake on the bottom
2 thermaltake rgb fans in from pushing air out the honeycomb vents on the side
480gb ssd boot drive
1tb 3.5 wd storage drive

The looks of the case got me wanting to build one of these. Hardware canucks said the cooling sucks, but he had the fans set up improperly. Having the bottom fans set as intake and the other as exhaust is much better. Plenty of room for a custom cooler setup if one wanted to do so. Cable management is a bit of a bitch as is any smaller case. It would have been better had I gotten a modular power supply, but I made it work.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 114

Corsair cx550 psu.
480gb ssd boot drive
1tb 3.5 wd storage drive

The looks of the case got me wanting to build one of these. Hardware canucks said the cooling sucks, but he had the fans set up improperly. Having the bottom fans set as intake and the other as exhaust is much better. Plenty of room for a custom cooler setup if one wanted to do so. Cable management is a bit of a bitch as is any smaller case. It would have been better had I gotten a modular power supply, but I made it work.

Looks great. Personally, I would have gone for an XFX RX480 GTR but, with the crazy mining stuff going on, prices are probably just stupid at this time. I am slightly toying with the idea of selling my R9 Furies just to make money off of them.

Great looking build!

Corsair cx550 psu.
480gb ssd boot drive
1tb 3.5 wd storage drive

That's clean... I like it! :D

Alright, so long story short... I did some undervolted overclock testing in Windows using K17TK, which while ended up causing core voltage readings to be a bit misread, I did get results and have made sense of them now! I didn't push it any further in terms of higher clocks OR lower volts, so there may indeed be headroom left... Nevertheless, here are the results.

See Signature for system details... As such, these settings are labeled with the MSI boards in mind.
CPU Multiplier: 37x
CPU Voltage (CPU_VDDP): 1.200V
CPU-NB (SoC) Voltage: 0.975V
CLDO_VDDP Voltage: Auto (so 0.850V apparently on this board)
DRAM Voltage: 1.36V (1.376V actual)
LLC Settings (Auto unless stated): CPU LLC Control - Mode 1; CPU Power Duty Control - Current Balance; CPU NB LLC Control - Mode 3; CPU NB Power Duty Control - Current Balance; DRAM Phase Control - Disabled

While that keeps the VDDCR_CPU and VRM voltage solid at 1.20V when idle and loaded, I've had it stable at 1.184V as well and temps are even better (about 2C lower).
Anyone wanting to run Ryzen in a mATX board for HTPC, I definitely think this is a perfect middle ground. Seems like the 1700X is just enough High-Leakage to be a solid overclocker, but just enough Low-Leaker to be able to run higher overclocks without needing tons of voltage in the process. The Goldilocks Chip? :)

As I said, I am hoping that there is some headroom left, and since I had it running fine with a bit lower voltage, my fingers are crossed that perhaps 3.8GHz is able to be squeezed out of it with the 1.20V...

My old reliable X58 system (X5650 @ 3.6GHz, 18GB[6+12]) finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. The Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v1 seemed to have just up and died one night. I couldn't justify reviving it with a new motherboard, not having native support of PCIE3, USB3, or SATA3 wasn't going to fly in 2017. I've been holding off on rebuilding since then because money is a bit tighter than usual but having to rely on a wimpy laptop in the mean time has really made me appreciate the extra horsepower a proper desktop workstation provides. This weekend I finally had the time to do some building and came out with a system I'm really happy with at the price I paid.

Case:
Corsair Carbide 200R - $60 ($10 MIR) = $50
Power Supply:
Seasonic G 550 - $75 ($10 MIR) = $65
Motherboard:
Asus X370-Pro - $100
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - $200
Memory:
2x8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3000 (open box) - $96

Total - $558 w/ tax

Harvested:
500GB 840EVO SSD
1TB Hitachi HDD
AMD HD7870

I bought the PSU from Amazon a month ago to try and rule that out as the issue and hung onto it since my old PSU was pushing 8 years and wasn't modular. The rest of the items were purchased at Microcenter which is why the prices might seem low. Gotta love their combo deals. My old case had been banged up and I was never really happy with it to begin with so I decided if I was refreshing all of the other parts, they were going in some new digs as well.

The issue with my old box was that the system would freeze during the boot process (Windows on the SSD or any LiveUSB I tried). I made an open-air workbench build to test things out once I got home and the first boot of the system went without a hitch, no need to reformat or anything which is always nice given how drastic of a change this was. Once I was happy seeing Windows boot and knowing it had all of its proper base drivers working I immediately updated the BIOS to 0805 so I didn't have to deal with any of the nonsense I had read about with AGESA < 1.0.0.6. Figured out how to set the XMP profile to 2933 and voila, no issues whatsoever running at that speed. Was a little worried about memory with the stories I had read and this specific kit wasn't on the QVL but user reviews said it worked and the price was close to 50% less than the other ones around the same speed. I haven't touched anything else in the BIOS aside from virtualization and other personalization type options but will probably get to fine tuning and tweaking things once I figure out how all of this p-state business works (board also doesn't support it at the BIOS level yet but hopefully soon?).

So far I'm really pleased with the build experience. Having heard opinions of the wraith spire I decided to forgo a bigger cooler for now which is probably a good thing as I think a tower cooler might be a tough fit in the 200R with a fan on the side panel, my old TRUE Spirit 1366 wouldn't have made it. Even so, temps seem just fine and when everything is idling it's hard to tell it's even on. System feels snappy, I have just as many threads as I used to but with much lower power usage and the improved IPC over the old Westmere is definitely nice. I don't think I'll really miss the 2GB of RAM from the move and I can always upgrade that in the future when DDR4 prices aren't so stupid. I went with the R5 1600 because it was impossible to beat at the price and the X370 board should hopefully be built to last a little while. Even if AMD screws the pooch and decides to kill the AM4 socket early I can at least bump this up to a 1700 down the road if I really feel the need for more threads.

My cabling skills aren't nearly as good as any of you guys but this is a huge improvement over the dusty rat's nest I had before!
ryzen_build07092017.jpg

Last edited:
My old reliable X58 system (X5650 @ 3.6GHz, 18GB[6+12]) finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. The Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v1 seemed to have just up and died one night. I couldn't justify reviving it with a new motherboard, not having native support of PCIE3, USB3, or SATA3 wasn't going to fly in 2017. I've been holding off on rebuilding since then because money is a bit tighter than usual but having to rely on a wimpy laptop in the mean time has really made me appreciate the extra horsepower a proper desktop workstation provides. This weekend I finally had the time to do some building and came out with a system I'm really happy with at the price I paid.

Case:
Corsair Carbide 200R - $60 ($10 MIR) = $50
Power Supply:
Seasonic G 550 - $75 ($10 MIR) = $65
Motherboard:
Asus X370-Pro - $100
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - $200
Memory:
2x8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3000 (open box) - $96

Total - $558 w/ tax

Harvested:
500GB 840EVO SSD
1TB Hitachi HDD
AMD HD7870

I bought the PSU from Amazon a month ago to try and rule that out as the issue and hung onto it since my old PSU was pushing 8 years and wasn't modular. The rest of the items were purchased at Microcenter which is why the prices might seem low. Gotta love their combo deals. My old case had been banged up and I was never really happy with it to begin with so I decided if I was refreshing all of the other parts, they were going in some new digs as well.

The issue with my old box was that the system would freeze during the boot process (Windows on the SSD or any LiveUSB I tried). I made an open-air workbench build to test things out once I got home and the first boot of the system went without a hitch, no need to reformat or anything which is always nice given how drastic of a change this was. Once I was happy seeing Windows boot and knowing it had all of its proper base drivers working I immediately updated the BIOS to 0805 so I didn't have to deal with any of the nonsense I had read about with AGESA < 1.0.0.6. Figured out how to set the XMP profile to 2933 and voila, no issues whatsoever running at that speed. Was a little worried about memory with the stories I had read and this specific kit wasn't on the QVL but user reviews said it worked and the price was close to 50% less than the other ones around the same speed. I haven't touched anything else in the BIOS aside from virtualization and other personalization type options but will probably get to fine tuning and tweaking things once I figure out how all of this p-state business works (board also doesn't support it at the BIOS level yet but hopefully soon?).

So far I'm really pleased with the build experience. Having heard opinions of the wraith spire I decided to forgo a bigger cooler for now which is probably a good thing as I think a tower cooler might be a tough fit in the 200R with a fan on the side panel, my old TRUE Spirit 1366 wouldn't have made it. Even so, temps seem just fine and when everything is idling it's hard to tell it's even on. System feels snappy, I have just as many threads as I used to but with much lower power usage and the improved IPC over the old Westmere is definitely nice. I don't think I'll really miss the 2GB of RAM from the move and I can always upgrade that in the future when DDR4 prices aren't so stupid. I went with the R5 1600 because it was impossible to beat at the price and the X370 board should hopefully be built to last a little while. Even if AMD screws the pooch and decides to kill the AM4 socket early I can at least bump this up to a 1700 down the road if I really feel the need for more threads.

My cabling skills aren't nearly as good as any of you guys but this is a huge improvement over the dusty rat's nest I had before!
View attachment 29962

Congrats on the new build! Might want to put in a better video card there eventually if you do any gaming but for non-graphics workstation tasks it doesn't really matter.
The 805 BIOS seems very stable and works well for a lot of people even with Hynix memory. Dunno whether Asus will bring P-State OC to the Prime or if they view it as a "Premium" feature for the C6H...

The build looks fine. I spent hours trying to arrange the cables but I can't even get it to look half as clean as some of the builds you see here, where you literally cannot see any cables. Of course having 4 SSD's, 2 HDD's and 1 DVDRW, each with a SATA and power cable makes things a bit harder to manage. As long as no cables get stuck in fans, and I can close the side panel without applying too much force, I'm happy :p

Congrats on the new build! Might want to put in a better video card there eventually if you do any gaming but for non-graphics workstation tasks it doesn't really matter.
The 805 BIOS seems very stable and works well for a lot of people even with Hynix memory. Dunno whether Asus will bring P-State OC to the Prime or if they view it as a "Premium" feature for the C6H...

The build looks fine. I spent hours trying to arrange the cables but I can't even get it to look half as clean as some of the builds you see here, where you literally cannot see any cables. Of course having 4 SSD's, 2 HDD's and 1 DVDRW, each with a SATA and power cable makes things a bit harder to manage. As long as no cables get stuck in fans, and I can close the side panel without applying too much force, I'm happy :p

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for a new video card but the price/performance ratio of the old pitcairn is still tough to beat, it's why they used that core through 3 (4 if you count OEM I think) generations of card families. I generally buy GPUs <=$200 and while I could live with the CPU being somewhat of a sidegrade in terms of performance, I want a solid 2x performance boost from a new GPU especially if it's this old and things haven't *quite* gotten there yet but maybe the next generation of mid-range or some price drops afterwards will do it. The mining craze has pretty much put that out of reach for now though. I'm still on a 1080p monitor and the 7870 does surprisingly well there just not with everything turned on.

I really hope they bring p-state to the prime, the options are there in the BIOS just greyed out so I'm hoping it's just a matter of some more bug fixing or something. Honestly I'm most interested in undervolting the CPU to see if I can get it to run even more efficiently but I haven't been able to determine clearly if I can simply change an offset in the BIOS or if that enables "OC-mode" on the CPU and makes it stick to a single clockspeed or what, gonna take some trial and error when I get the time.

I feel your pain on the cable management, I really don't know how some people do it or have the patience for it. The drive cages on the 200R make it especially annoying to keep the SATA cables out of the way for the 2.5" rack but it's not so bad with just one drive there. I don't have the need for too many drives and could have gone mATX easily but I like having the space to work around with in the case if I do have to go in there.

Ha! There is an owners thread. I had to search for this bugger.

Ryzen 1200 OC'd to 3.6Ghz
Asus Strix 350 F
8GB PC2400
256GB SSD M2
GTX 1080 with G10 Kraken Mod

Case is the mobo's cardboard box it came in ontop of some old cabinets in the basement. HDMI runs 50' to the next floor 56" 4k TV.

Works great so far!

IMG_3625.JPG

Asus Strix 350 F
8GB PC2400
256GB SSD M2

Case is the mobo's cardboard box it came in ontop of some old cabinets in the basement. HDMI runs 50' to the next floor 56" 4k TV.

Works great so far!

View attachment 38575
Were you impressed with the cooler? I was by a country mile. Damn quiet at 100%, were as the old one could make dogs howl and babies ears bleed.

Were you impressed with the cooler? I was by a country mile. Damn quiet at 100%, were as the old one could make dogs howl and babies ears bleed.

Yeah I was impressed with everything to be honest. Cost was great too. They even had braided cable for the cooler. Booted right up no issues.

Yeah I was impressed with everything to be honest. Cost was great too. They even had braided cable for the cooler. Booted right up no issues.
Well congratulations!!! Love my 1800x and the wife definitely loves her 1600. Just gonna buy some flareX ram for hers as the ram she has is not quite good enough and I think has minor stability issues.

Well congratulations!!! Love my 1800x and the wife definitely loves her 1600. Just gonna buy some flareX ram for hers as the ram she has is not quite good enough and I think has minor stability issues.

There were corsair on sale for cheap so I grabbed those. I checked the fan again and I have trouble hearing it even when I manually stop the other fans. Nice!

Asus Strix 350 F
8GB PC2400
256GB SSD M2

Works great so far!

View attachment 38575

That build looks way too nice for a cardboard box. LOL!

That build looks way too nice for a cardboard box. LOL!

Cardboard box on top of rusty old cabinets! It might eventually get a case for dust filter reasons. Notice I used screws as heatsinks to cool components on the video card.

I guess my father's cheapness rubbed off on me. Daughters laptop died (where I got the 256GB m2 drive). Surprisingly the thing booted right up not giving me any shit it wasn't a dell PC. I was pleasantly surprised! The end game is for Christmas she'll get a Surface Pro and be able to stream games to it from that PC in the basement. Wife doesn't want another monitor on our desk for crazy women reasons...

It's hard to beat Ryzen for what I am doing, and as JustReason pointed out the overall quality was pleasantly surprising. I might be a team red convert.

Cardboard box on top of rusty old cabinets! It might eventually get a case for dust filter reasons. Notice I used screws as heatsinks to cool components on the video card.

I guess my father's cheapness rubbed off on me. Daughters laptop died (where I got the 256GB m2 drive). Surprisingly the thing booted right up not giving me any shit it wasn't a dell PC. I was pleasantly surprised! The end game is for Christmas she'll get a Surface Pro and be able to stream games to it from that PC in the basement. Wife doesn't want another monitor on our desk for crazy women reasons...

It's hard to beat Ryzen for what I am doing, and as JustReason pointed out the overall quality was pleasantly surprising. I might be a team red convert.
Streaming games is awesome as before it didn't work so well or at all with my 8350. I was gitty as a school girl when I was able to stream any game from STEAM to my living room PC. I was able to turn down the voltage and clocks on my living room PC and play demanding games at a 60fps stable awesomeness without worrying about the heat and able to get performance way over what that PC could do. I still cant get over it if you cant tell.

No fluff, just meat and potatoes. Electronics are getting rather neat/nice looking, it is a shame at times to box it up into oblivion.

I am sure it would do Oblivion justice... Any number of mods and all.

But would it do Brent Justice? OK, I'll see myself out now :)

Seriously though, I am still enormously satisfied with my Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.8G with 3200 @ 3200 DDR4 on Asus Prime B350-Plus. This thing chews through x264 like no one's business!

I liked it so much I recently replaced my wife's FX 8320 with a Ryzen R5 1600x (stock) with 3000 @ 2933 DDR4 and the same model mobo.

Currently waiting to find a new case for my build:

Ryzen R7 1700 @ 4.0GHz
2x16GB RAM @ 2666MHz (I want faster RAM)
500GB 960 Samsung SSD
RX 580

Hope to have some pictures soon...

Ryzen R7 1700 @ 4.0GHz
500GB 960 Samsung SSD
RX 580

I was always a fan of Fractal design. I like the R5.

Or just use the cardboard box the mobo came in. :cool:

Ryzen R7 1700 @ 4.0GHz
500GB 960 Samsung SSD
RX 580

I would get 3200 speed ram and that is achievable with the right kit.

Back