Ryzen Owners Thread

I wanted to do a video showing all of the diagnostics of a Ryzen CPU while playing this game at 1440p downscaled to a 1080p 144Hz BENQ monitor. As you can see, no matter whether it's Intel or AMD processors, this game demands much from the CPU, but the result sure is good! I disabled the motion blur because I don't like them in my games as well as the anti-aliasing since I'm going for a sharper look with the 1440p. I didn't realize I hadn't recorded it with "In-Game" resolution until I was done and I didn't want to do it over because I believe I achieved what I wanted to with this test.

In retrospect, I guess I should've upped the bitrate in ShadowPlay so there isn't all that pixelation which is completely absent when playing the game which is a beauty to behold!

I have been using my Ryzen system for over a month now and it is out shining my 2600K in almost every way, mainly because my 2600k was a poor overclocker, it could not use HT over 4GHz and I would not break 4.2GHz on all cores even when i tried pushing 1.37v core any more and I worried for the safety of the chip, to say the least my 2600k was more like a sucky 2500k, so with that said every time i see a "any 2600k can get 4.5GHz with HT on at least!" annoys the crap out of me :p

My 1700 @ 3.825GHz is great, games like Hitman, fallout 4, and GTA V were struggling to hit 60FPS especially in hitman and fallout and I had to use Nvidia inspector to limit the FPS to 30 so the CPU could get a break form the games physics engine and only then I could play those games smoothly (fallout 4 did not like 30FPS at all, anything like platforms that moved would move supper jerky at 30FPS). In my case I needed the extra CPU head room as my 2600k was out, now of course in games that are more single thread orientated there is really no gains and some small loss but I have yet to come across something game breaking.

I am for one very happy with this CPU, I think more cores is the way it is going to go for at least now and I look forward to the games that will be coming down the line that will take advantage of the higher core count for the likes of Ryzen or intle's X99 platform for they deserve some multi core love to.

Man that sucks you got a bum deal with your Sandy, the day I got mine, I threw 4.4GHz at it on stock volts, Prime 24hr stable.
A week later I got it up to 4.8GHz @ 1.4v but my H70 could barely handle it. If I had better cooling, I could join the 5GHz club without a doubt.
So I keep it around 4.5-4.6 @1.37 so the fans don't spin up as much, since I smoke a lot of ganja in the office, the rad tends to get clogged a lot.
Lower clocks keeps me from having to scrape out resin on a monthly basis. Glad Ryzen could cure what ailed ya. I'm jelly. :)

Yep, Ryzen is a good cpu. I'm enjoying the new tech. I wish it would OC a bit higher. 4.4 would have been awesome.

I'm getting 50-60 consistently.

Mine was downclocking and downvolting the RAM to 2133 and 1.185v. Manually set it to 2666 and 1.2v on the B350.

I installed Creators Update last week and updated the BIOS from 2017-03-10 version to 2017-04-10 version immediately.

Thanks for the input, is your GPU at 100% or vsync on?

So yeah... I'm the OP and the whole point of this thread was to get feedback about ryzen owners and not the usual douche nozzles who look to sabotage any thread consisting of ryzen speak. Per DooKey's sig he is a ryzen owner and that makes his feedback valid. I appreciate the contributions of both parties involved in this squabble. As such, how about we all man up, wipe off our bloodied and swollen vaganuses, drink a Midol smoothie, and get back to constructive discussion about ryzen rigs.

Big hugs and shit...

Exactly. AMD fanboys are over sensitive even when dealing with others who buy from both Intel and AMD. Being honest about Intel have better frame rates in games from another Ryzen owner seems to turn them into total D-bags. I have no time for fanboys. Fuck "shithead" fanboys and the horse that fucked them in the ass and made them mad.

With that said I'm enjoying my new Ryzen tech even if it isn't the ultimate gaming machine. There's room for Intel and AMD in my stable.

I have zero experience with these games, so I can't really guarantee what I'm about to say will at all apply, but that being said... Here is what I'd do if I were in your shoes
Do they have a settings INI file that you can perhaps cut and paste the graphics portion out of WoT and into WoWS?
Do each game have any accompanying .dll files in their main directory, and if so are they the same versions in each? If not, perhaps try swapping the old higher-performing one from WoT into WoWS (backing up original of course).
Is the water animated in WoWS? While the "terrain" may be less populated with hills and vegitation, the water texture may be high enough resolution to be causing issue... maybe?

In an effort to help resolve this silly squabble... I kinda get the impression that LigTasm was responding with the notion that you were responding as an Intel Troll, whose sole mission is to put down Ryzen whenever possible. As such, feels like it was a sort of knee-jerk reaction by him. Not excusing his response, but just that there has (and will continue to be) a lot of 'Well, if you want solid gaming performance, buy an Intel chip!' responses thrown around, which no doubt has worn on some of us more than other.
.... and damn. Attempt at difussing the situation... hampered. Didn't get this typed in time :( lol

Don't worry about it, bro. Hardcore AMDrones can't take any kind of criticism of their god AMD. I just don't get the red versus blue shit or red versus green shit. As the owner of a Ryzen system I know for a fact my Skylake system is better for most games currently. Nothing wrong with accepting that FACT. Anyway, I like new tech and I love my Ryzen system. Moar cores works for me!

I have been using my Ryzen system for over a month now and it is out shining my 2600K in almost every way, mainly because my 2600k was a poor overclocker, it could not use HT over 4GHz and I would not break 4.2GHz on all cores even when i tried pushing 1.37v core any more and I worried for the safety of the chip, to say the least my 2600k was more like a sucky 2500k, so with that said every time i see a "any 2600k can get 4.5GHz with HT on at least!" annoys the crap out of me :p

My 1700 @ 3.825GHz is great, games like Hitman, fallout 4, and GTA V were struggling to hit 60FPS especially in hitman and fallout and I had to use Nvidia inspector to limit the FPS to 30 so the CPU could get a break form the games physics engine and only then I could play those games smoothly (fallout 4 did not like 30FPS at all, anything like platforms that moved would move supper jerky at 30FPS). In my case I needed the extra CPU head room as my 2600k was out, now of course in games that are more single thread orientated there is really no gains and some small loss but I have yet to come across something game breaking.

I am for one very happy with this CPU, I think more cores is the way it is going to go for at least now and I look forward to the games that will be coming down the line that will take advantage of the higher core count for the likes of Ryzen or intle's X99 platform for they deserve some multi core love to.

Wait.. so you're struggling to hit 60 with the 1700 @3.8? Or were you referring to the 2600K

Don't worry about it, bro. Hardcore AMDrones can't take any kind of criticism of their god AMD. I just don't get the red versus blue shit or red versus green shit. As the owner of a Ryzen system I know for a fact my Skylake system is better for most games currently. Nothing wrong with accepting that FACT. Anyway, I like new tech and I love my Ryzen system. Moar cores works for me!

If you're referring to me being an AMD fanboy, I've owned a 5820k, 6600k x3, 6700k x3 and a 7700k in the last 6 months alone. Maybe my FX8350 comment set you off - I had that shit sitting in the closet for close to 3 years and when I sold my 4.8ghz 6700k I used it as a go-between until Ryzen launched. I knew full well Ryzen wasn't going to beat even Haswell, I just like trying new hardware and don't sit on one system very long. I also have a Kaby Lake gaming laptop.

All I wanted to know was if others were having the same issue with World of Warships as I was, trying to narrow it down to an issue with my rig or something Wargaming needed to patch for compatibility. My post was not about bagging on Ryzen for IPC, its a bit above Sandy Bridge which is more than enough for BigWorld games, hence my question.

If you're referring to me being an AMD fanboy, I've owned a 5820k, 6600k x3, 6700k x3 and a 7700k in the last 6 months alone. Maybe my FX8350 comment set you off - I had that shit sitting in the closet for close to 3 years and when I sold my 4.8ghz 6700k I used it as a go-between until Ryzen launched. I knew full well Ryzen wasn't going to beat even Haswell, I just like trying new hardware and don't sit on one system very long. I also have a Kaby Lake gaming laptop.

All I wanted to know was if others were having the same issue with World of Warships as I was, trying to narrow it down to an issue with my rig or something Wargaming needed to patch for compatibility. My post was not about bagging on Ryzen for IPC, its a bit above Sandy Bridge which is more than enough for BigWorld games, hence my question.

Peace bro. Let's just chalk this up to serious misunderstanding. I'm not an AMD hater or Intel lover. Just like new computer tech.

Peace bro. Let's just chalk this up to serious misunderstanding. I'm not an AMD hater or Intel lover. Just like new computer tech.

That's what I'm saying :p

This game will make or break me keeping Ryzen for a while, its the one I play the most. If I can't get 70fps out of this chip its gone, no questions asked. It should be able to do it, its faster than FX by a wide margin and the FX chip could do it just fine with the same GPU.

Finally had time to open some boxes and get started so I'll make my first actual Owner's post.

UNIxztm.jpg

Not shown are a Define S with window and an EVGA G2 850w power supply to hold and power things.

Put things together on the mat and flashed to BIOS 2.00. Running with CPU at 3500 @ 1.2v, memory at 3200, 1.35V, 14/14/14/34 timings. I'll try and get a little more out of the CPU later but didn't plan on pushing too hard with the stock cooler anyway so I am content with this out of the box. Proper water cooling some time later this year...

PSA - Don't be a dope like me. #1 M.2 slot runs full speed and supports both PCIe and SATA drives, #2 M.2 slot only supports PCIe drives, at half speed. I managed to read it backwards two or three times before buying so I have to return the WD Blue that I'd planned on running in the 2nd M.2.

Got my motherboard/cpu in today. Hooked everything up, powered on, and...nothing! Well, the lights came on and the fans were cycling, but no video output. The boot light was on but no other diagnostic lights. Guess that answers my question: registered ECC (kvr21r15s4/8 2·8GB) is a no-go on the Gigabyte Gaming K5...anyone wanna trade memories? :D

DSC_0108.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG

Guess that answers my question: registered ECC (kvr21r15s4/8 2·8GB) is a no-go on the Gigabyte Gaming K5

Registered (aka buffered) won't work in any ryzen.

Non server platforms usually take only the regular (aka non-registered, aka unbuffered) DRAM.

Registered (aka buffered) won't work in any ryzen.

Non server platforms usually take only the regular (aka non-registered, aka unbuffered) DRAM.
The CPU's memory controller supports it (confirmed on reddit by an AMD employee), but the motherboard firmware does not. I thought it was worth the risk.

Just built a Ryzen 1600 system with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 mb and eVGA 2400 DDR4 memory. First thing I did was load the latest BIOS. Everything seems to be working fine and it initially booted up with no problems. I did have to go and manually set the memory to run at 2400, it was set to 2100. I ran 3dmark a few times and everything seems stable. Looking forward to playing with it some more this weekend.

The CPU's memory controller supports it (confirmed on reddit by an AMD employee), but the motherboard firmware does not. I thought it was worth the risk.

Hmmmm now you're talking about ECC, i think? I believe that both your board and ryzen support ECC.

I was refering to the registered part. Those registered DIMMs are not compatible. You need regular (aka non-registered, aka unbuffered) DRAM. ECC or non-ECC.

Well, in my ongoing effort to figure out this one game having FPS issues I decided to slap a copy of Windows 7 Pro on my build and see how that does. Used a spare SSD so my Windows 10 install is still untouched for now.

The Crosshair VI really made it easy since it has a separate ASMedia USB 3.1 controller, just slipstreamed that driver into my USB installer and I was up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Finally had time to open some boxes and get started so I'll make my first actual Owner's post.

UNIxztm.jpg

Not shown are a Define S with window and an EVGA G2 850w power supply to hold and power things.

Put things together on the mat and flashed to BIOS 2.00. Running with CPU at 3500 @ 1.2v, memory at 3200, 1.35V, 14/14/14/34 timings. I'll try and get a little more out of the CPU later but didn't plan on pushing too hard with the stock cooler anyway so I am content with this out of the box. Proper water cooling some time later this year...

PSA - Don't be a dope like me. #1 M.2 slot runs full speed and supports both PCIe and SATA drives, #2 M.2 slot only supports PCIe drives, at half speed. I managed to read it backwards two or three times before buying so I have to return the WD Blue that I'd planned on running in the 2nd M.2.

Seeing this has me wanting to build a third Ryzen Build. :D

lol I just built a r5-1600 build for my plex server on an asrock mATX b350pro board. Worked great.

How many clients do you usually have on average on your Plex server?
What kind of CPU usage are you seeing on that R5? OC'ed?
I'm curious because I'm thinking of upgrading mine and I use mine for more than just Plex.
Was thinking I could probably get away with using an R5 instead of an R7...maybe.

How many clients do you usually have on average on your Plex server?
What kind of CPU usage are you seeing on that R5? OC'ed?
I'm curious because I'm thinking of upgrading mine and I use mine for more than just Plex.
Was thinking I could probably get away with using an R5 instead of an R7...maybe.

2-3 people.
Well i was using an older i7-2600s build in an optiplex 990, i have not moved it over yet (just put the r5 together last night) but if you have the cores plex will use it, especially if you have to transcode a lot. I have a lot of devices like chromecast that you cant really offload the higher loads to. Even with the stock fan it runs at the most 66 degrees C in a mATX case. doing the cpu z stress test 3.4ghz on all cores was pretty decent. HWmonitor was only showing 68 watt draw.

2-3 people.
Well i was using an older i7-2600s build in an optiplex 990, i have not moved it over yet (just put the r5 together last night) but if you have the cores plex will use it, especially if you have to transcode a lot. I have a lot of devices like chromecast that you cant really offload the higher loads to. Even with the stock fan it runs at the most 66 degrees C in a mATX case. doing the cpu z stress test 3.4ghz on all cores was pretty decent. HWmonitor was only showing 68 watt draw.

Thx for the info man, I know Plex can be a CPU hog, hence one of the reasons I need to upgrade.
Being as I have a few more clients than you, I might have to go back to having a standalone Plex server again.
Encoding w/ Handbrake and streaming a few movies really puts a damper on things.
I think I'll just use my exsisting gear for the Plex server and get me an R7 for my media/file server.
Thx again for your input. :)

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with my R5 1600 and 16GB RAM. Got it running at just under 3.9 GHz on all cores. I'm able to multi-task without as much slow down compared to my i5 4690K @ 4.2 GHz and 32GB RAM. I bought the Asus Prime X370 Pro MB and it's be rock solid after I dialed in my OC.

Thx for the info man, I know Plex can be a CPU hog, hence one of the reasons I need to upgrade.
Being as I have a few more clients than you, I might have to go back to having a standalone Plex server again.
Encoding w/ Handbrake and streaming a few movies really puts a damper on things.
I think I'll just use my exsisting gear for the Plex server and get me an R7 for my media/file server.
Thx again for your input. :)
No problem, I just use a qnap 4 bay nas for my file server with shares to the stand alone plex server and the media is served up on that. I am hoping to give it a shot tonight after i clone the drive.

No problem, I just use a qnap 4 bay nas for my file server with shares to the stand alone plex server and the media is served up on that. I am hoping to give it a shot tonight after i clone the drive.

Nice set up, I have all my media and plex server in a BlackHawk Ultra w/ 13 HDD's.
To offset the loads of multiple streams, I use a Kodi(Jarvis) front end on the clients that can handle it, all others , phones, tablets, Brix etc use the plex browser or app.

Nice set up, I have all my media and plex server in a BlackHawk Ultra w/ 13 HDD's.
To offset the loads of multiple streams, I use a Kodi(Jarvis) front end on the clients that can handle it, all others , phones, tablets, Brix etc use the plex browser or app.
yep that is the issue i have due to Chromecast's or smart TVs its all transcoded.

yep that is the issue i have due to Chromecast's or smart TVs its all transcoded.

Yeah having to transcode because your device is too weak sucks, or I would be using nothing but Kodi.
I used Kodi back when it was XBMC then when it transitioned to Kodi , I discovered Plex for my mobile devices, and imported Kodi's XML list to Plex. This allows me to use the Kodi/Plex plugin on the Kodi installs with Jarvis without using Krypton(Which I don't like) or the Plex installs, which allows me to have Kodi's front end with Plex transcoding if needed on the fly.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Plex, but it's GUI leaves much to be desired.
And I've thought some more on it and I think I'm just going to get a 1700 for the whole kit and caboodle and give my server guts to my daughter.
I'm pretty sure it could handle my workload and not rape my wallet in the process. ;)

Well under Windows 7 World of Warships is locked at 76fps, the max for the game, compared to 25-28fps under 10 CU.

Well under Windows 7 World of Warships is locked at 76fps, the max for the game, compared to 25-28fps under 10 CU.

Wtf? Did you happen to put W10 in Game Mode? From what I've seen you can lose anywhere from 10-15% using it, but it can't be just that.
Do you happen to have another drive handy? I would install 10 on it with no updates or programs and uninstall all the apps, and just add drivers, AB and WoW and then see how it behaves, because that is definitely some weird shit.

Wtf? Did you happen to put W10 in Game Mode? From what I've seen you can lose anywhere from 10-15% using it, but it can't be just that.
Do you happen to have another drive handy? I would install 10 on it with no updates or programs and uninstall all the apps, and just add drivers, AB and WoW and then see how it behaves, because that is definitely some weird shit.

Well, that's all that was on there in the first place. I like 7 better so I'll run that for a while since I have no DX12 games anyways.

Back