Ryzen CPU Temps

I use Ryzen Master. I'd expect it to be the most trustworthy considering it's from AMD.

probably but it's also probably reading the same cpu sensor reading that every other program would use through the bios. but AMD has a a bit of a history of improper cpu temp readings or the sensor being in the wrong spot on the cpu.. for example phenom I/II sensor was useless under 50C, the 6 core sensor was in the wrong spot so the temps weren't very accurate.. my guess is it's something bios related though but i guess the only way to really test it would be to mount a sensor inside the IHS like [H] was doing a couple years ago with their heatsink performance testing.

was searching around for some stuff and found this review with a pretty interesting tidbit about the temp readings might be worth checking out. not sure if this was done on any other reviews.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-4

Last edited:
My 1700X: http://valid.x86.fr/jg5drn

This is what i got:

EKWB Supremacy MX < my backplate had wiggle room so i used a piece of 2.5mm thick rubber that was used for the AM3 backplate to space it.
240 GTS Black ice rad
D5 pump set on 2
150ML x3 EKWB res
1080 gtx with a bitspower wb

I have the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

My ram is set at 2133mhz :( i know its shit. even not overclocked it wont go over 2400. Hoping msi releases some bios updates soon!

Cpu boost is disabled
cpu downcore is auto
cpu is set at 4000mhz
vcore is set at 1.42

Under prime95 i get around 75C - 80C under idle i get about 45-50C

If i missed anything or need to add anything let me know.

My temps seem low. like way too low to the point where I think its broken.

upload_2017-4-2_16-10-6.png

above was taken a couple minutes after it came out of sleep.

upload_2017-4-2_16-11-8.png

upload_2017-4-2_16-13-11.png

Any thoughts?

What is SenseMi skew set to in BIOS? There is a 20° offset for 1700x and 1800x but it isnt used for the 1700. HWiNFO's tdie seems to be reading temps reliably right now.

Well, I just updated from bios 0902 to 1002 (just found out it released) and seems to have fixed the issue. Except its not taking my OC anymore so seems I'll have tweek all over again.

Thanks for the quick replay though :)

Well, I just updated from bios 0902 to 1002 (just found out it released) and seems to have fixed the issue. Except its not taking my OC anymore so seems I'll have tweek all over again.

Thanks for the quick replay though :)
This is a Sleep bug (not "The" sleep bug, which refers to performance, though).

That will likely still happen even with the 1002 BIOS you flashed. I don't think that'll be officially fixed until the upcoming April AGESA update.

Also as madweazl mentioned, HWiNFO is doing good in my opinion and I just made a big post about it on someone else's thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-temperature-confusion.1928806/#post-1042918756

I get 35-40 idle and 60 at max peak. I am fully watercooled using real watercooling

Updated to 1002 and everything on my system feels as good as it can get. No problems to report after this bios update.

3200mhz ddr 4 running at that speed
3.9 oc on h2o loop with 3 big ass radiators from back in my SLI x4 days. Way more cooling than I need for just a cpu in the loop.

An EVO 212 is a mediocre cooler at best and is woefully inadequate for overclocking an 8 core cpu. You need to upgrade quickly, or do not overclock. Your choice.

A 212 Evo being woefully inadequate...

Hello guys!

I just put together a PC today with the 1700X. The PC is so noisy because according to HWmonitor the temperature never goes much below 50 celsius.
The PC before this one stayed between 40-45 celisus with normal use and then I could put my hand at the exhaust fan and feel the warmth coming out. Now the exhaust feels cool, also the case.
I am using a Be Quiet Silent loop 120mm rad and it was properly seated on the CPU. I think the reported temperatures are off.
Hoping Gigabyte will come with a BIOS-update to fix this. The PC doesn't have to be this noisy.

Hello guys!

I just put together a PC today with the 1700X. The PC is so noisy because according to HWmonitor the temperature never goes much below 50 celsius.
The PC before this one stayed between 40-45 celisus with normal use and then I could put my hand at the exhaust fan and feel the warmth coming out. Now the exhaust feels cool, also the case.
I am using a Be Quiet Silent loop 120mm rad and it was properly seated on the CPU. I think the reported temperatures are off.
Hoping Gigabyte will come with a BIOS-update to fix this. The PC doesn't have to be this noisy.
the x chips have a 20c offset. so you prob sitting around 30c. youll need to use something to adjust your fan speeds, like speedfan.

the x chips have a 20c offset. so you prob sitting around 30c. youll need to use something to adjust your fan speeds, like speedfan.
I tried speedfan, but it only reads temperatures from the GPU and storage. So I can't use it to set the fans to be controlled after CPU temperature. It only shows CPU usage in the opening window. Maybe this will be fixed in the next version. Can you reccomend an alternative to speedfan?

I tried speedfan, but it only reads temperatures from the GPU and storage. So I can't use it to set the fans to be controlled after CPU temperature. It only shows CPU usage in the opening window. Maybe this will be fixed in the next version. Can you reccomend an alternative to speedfan?
hwinfo64 can also control fans or maybe the control software that came with the mobo.

Doesn't Gigabyte have a BIOS "Smart Fan" section to set what speed the fan should be running at during a certain temperature? If so, just change your settings to be +20C higher.
If there isn't something in the BIOS, I know that they have a Windows program that will. Don't know what it'll be called but it used to be called EasyTune some years back.

hwinfo64 can also control fans or maybe the control software that came with the mobo.
It can? o_0 I'll have to try and find that setting!

Doesn't Gigabyte have a BIOS "Smart Fan" section to set what speed the fan should be running at during a certain temperature? If so, just change your settings to be +20C higher.
If there isn't something in the BIOS, I know that they have a Windows program that will. Don't know what it'll be called but it used to be called EasyTune some years back.
I didn't think about that, thanks! Tommorow I will get an extention cable and get the last fan up and running. Will try this then.

So Asus removed the 20C offset with the latest BIOS for the X370 Prime. Kind of. It doesn't seem to be exactly 20C less, because when I just subtracted 20C from the fan speed curves, the system runs much louder than before. So the reduction seems to be in the region of 10-15C.

So I've had to redo all the temp testing to get a good fan curve again. Currently running 40 - 45 - 50 (low-mid-high) which seems OK. When running 42 - 47 - 52, the fans never spin up except when running Prime95, which is of course nice, but I don't feel comfortable when the system is nearly silent running games LOL

I don't understand why there's such a small difference between idle and full load temps with Ryzen. With my Haswell, the difference was like 40-50C, but with Ryzen, it's more like a 15-20C difference between idle and stress testing, and maybe a 5C difference between idle and running a game.

So Asus removed the 20C offset with the latest BIOS for the X370 Prime. Kind of. It doesn't seem to be exactly 20C less, because when I just subtracted 20C from the fan speed curves, the system runs much louder than before. So the reduction seems to be in the region of 10-15C.

So I've had to redo all the temp testing to get a good fan curve again. Currently running 40 - 45 - 50 (low-mid-high) which seems OK. When running 42 - 47 - 52, the fans never spin up except when running Prime95, which is of course nice, but I don't feel comfortable when the system is nearly silent running games LOL

I don't understand why there's such a small difference between idle and full load temps with Ryzen. With my Haswell, the difference was like 40-50C, but with Ryzen, it's more like a 15-20C difference between idle and stress testing, and maybe a 5C difference between idle and running a game.

Yep, I noticed that too. I do not set a custom fan curve and the fans are still quite, most of the time. Truth is though, 0515 bios seems to slightly mess up the 1700 Non X temps as well. It also looks like my 1700 and 1700X overclocks to the same settings, 3.8Ghz at 1.3125v with LLC set to Auto. (I have a X370 Pro board on each one.)

Ryzen 1800x ( no overclocking on anything)
Asus Prime X370 Pro

I am running a Corsair H110i AIO Cooler so large radiator and fans....in a clean case with lots of room and ventilation. CPU temps seem ok at idle - low 40's, and even on AIDA64 Stress Testing, CPU shows max around 65 deg C...BUT the CPU Package under POWERS section jumps from 19 deg idle to 100 then 105 and can cause it to lock around that temp?

WTF is the difference on CPU Package when CPU itself seems fine? Why the massive jump from 19deg to 105 deg ? Not sure how much more high spec cooling I can through at it...? Anything else on motherboard I am missing ? Does it require VRM cooling for basic chip - seems madness, wishing had gone for i7 7770K now!

I have played with Fan Xpert and ramping right up to high rpm but CPU seems ok...its the package ?

Hope someone can give me a pointer ...is this just the incorrect reporting of temps that everyone is mentioning ?

Thanks

Ed.

Ryzen 1800x ( no overclocking on anything)
Asus Prime X370 Pro

I am running a Corsair H110i AIO Cooler so large radiator and fans....in a clean case with lots of room and ventilation. CPU temps seem ok at idle - low 40's, and even on AIDA64 Stress Testing, CPU shows max around 65 deg C...BUT the CPU Package under POWERS section jumps from 19 deg idle to 100 then 105 and can cause it to lock around that temp?

WTF is the difference on CPU Package when CPU itself seems fine? Why the massive jump from 19deg to 105 deg ? Not sure how much more high spec cooling I can through at it...? Anything else on motherboard I am missing ? Does it require VRM cooling for basic chip - seems madness, wishing had gone for i7 7770K now!

I have played with Fan Xpert and ramping right up to high rpm but CPU seems ok...its the package ?

Hope someone can give me a pointer ...is this just the incorrect reporting of temps that everyone is mentioning ?

Thanks

Ed.

You did not mention whether your computer is actually locking up or not. Also, you get the actual temps by subtracting 20C so, your temp readings were in the low 20's with a high of 45C.

I know the Southbridge gets pretty hot on my gigabyte k5 board (r5 1600). The vrm sinks get warm, but not toasty, though it's outside the case with wraith cooler, haven't increased voltages much, and core oc is just decent for now.

You did not mention whether your computer is actually locking up or not. Also, you get the actual temps by subtracting 20C so, your temp readings were in the low 20's with a high of 45C.

I was just reluctant to comment on why it was locking really. I can run AIDA Stress for 20 mins and its fine on CPU but high as described on Package...will be fine 8 out of 10 runs and then 2 will lock solid and/or reboot.

Its a recent build but running normally on desk its been fine on 24x7 for days...its only under AIDA Stress so I dont think a general build issue.

I'm concerned that the CPU Package temp is the problem... as other two are fine (even better when you take away 20 deg)...but PC still doesnt seem happy with 105 on PACKAGE ?

Is this 105 'real', is there somewhere in BIOS rebooting to protect at what it thinks is high in his respect maybe ?

Ed

I was just reluctant to comment on why it was locking really. I can run AIDA Stress for 20 mins and its fine on CPU but high as described on Package...will be fine 8 out of 10 runs and then 2 will lock solid and/or reboot.

Its a recent build but running normally on desk its been fine on 24x7 for days...its only under AIDA Stress so I dont think a general build issue.

I'm concerned that the CPU Package temp is the problem... as other two are fine (even better when you take away 20 deg)...but PC still doesnt seem happy with 105 on PACKAGE ?

Is this 105 'real', is there somewhere in BIOS rebooting to protect at what it thinks is high in his respect maybe ?

Ed

In my opinion, since the computer is locking up, it appears to be overheating. When did you receive the AM4 adapter for the cooler or did it come in the package when you purchased it?

In my opinion, since the computer is locking up, it appears to be overheating. When did you receive the AM4 adapter for the cooler or did it come in the package when you purchased it?
Came with H110i in package as it supported AM4...looked for ages to find right one that fitted !

Yeah i bought teh 110 myself for my 1700x and my asrock board, it uses the default AM4 bracket and the two little side clip things not the 4x screw set up. I can tell you that i have mine at 1.3v 3.8ghz on all cores and after playing some games and such i have not seen the standard motherboard reported temp above 43C yet. But i can tell you if you use HWmonitor it still shows some crazy temps under the cpu section like 75-80c. I think a lot of people are saying HWmonitor still doesnt have the offset of 20 implemented. It is hard to tell what to base temps on. The newer ryzen master software does match really close to what my motherboard is showing and that is what corsair link shows. So I am using that to base my fan profiles on.

does hwmon not have an offset setting? if it does you could just adjust it.

all amd chips have been soldered for years. there would also be no advantage to delidding, maybe a couple degrees at most.
and yeah all these temps seem high but maybe nothing is readying it correctly yet.

AMD opteron chips were not soldered and probably anything below that as I didn't use any of the bulldozer chips but I can guarantee you opteron line was NOT soldered.

Opteron encompasses the entire server line of processors, some of which were based on bulldozer, btw.

Saying none were soldered would be like saying no athlon or sempron processors were soldered (though, I'd be more inclined to believe you if you just said sempron), or saying no pentium processors were soldered, or no Xeon were soldered. You're talking about many generations of processors, and (while it may in fact be the case that none were soldered) that kind of statement is generally unbelievable without some reputable source (say, AMD technical documentation for all processors in question, or someone who's owned one from each generation and delidded them to find out).

Of course, arguing they had all used soldered heatspreaders would require a similar level of support.

AMD opteron chips were not soldered and probably anything below that as I didn't use any of the bulldozer chips but I can guarantee you opteron line was NOT soldered.
ok maybe not ten year old chips. but all the fx and a series chips are soldered. the am4 apus may have liquid metal or solder, its unclear which.

Aida%20Stress%20Test.png

This is the stress test with high CPU package. I'm keeping it under 103 at present and seems to cope but is anyone else seeing it ? Below is the idle one where you can see CPU Package is at 17 deg C

Idle.png

What I found even more strange is that my Windows activated with no key at all?! I installed Windows 10 and used as a local user and look and see that it is already activated. No clue how that would happen.

I'm guessing you installed over an existing w7 partition. While officially upgrading to w10 from w7 has expired it still can be done i.e. you can use your w7 key for an equivalent w10 install.

Because that key was present on the disk you installed on, w10 registered for you.

Aida%20Stress%20Test.png

This is the stress test with high CPU package. I'm keeping it under 103 at present and seems to cope but is anyone else seeing it ? Below is the idle one where you can see CPU Package is at 17 deg C

Idle.png

That's actually CPU package power in Watts, so that should be around 100 - 110W when running these stress tests.

Here's what it looks like on my system:
RL9CeEp.jpg

Running Aida64 with all options checked doesn't produce the highest temps, but it does stress every component, making it hard to pinpoint what's causing it to crash. In order to figure out why your system locks up, you need to run the tests individually to isolate which test causes the crashes.

(Crash at: Most likely case)

CPU only: Overclock too high, too little Vcore
FPU only: Too little Vcore or too high temps, overclock too high
(crashes with the two above might also be due to faulty CPU)
Cache Only: Uncore/SOC voltage too low, memory speed too high or timings too tight, not enough DRAM voltage
Memory: Same as above

Posting so I can get back to this when I get home - Just finished my system Sunday - curious about my temps too

That's actually CPU package power in Watts, so that should be around 100 - 110W when running these stress tests.

Here's what it looks like on my system:
RL9CeEp.jpg

Running Aida64 with all options checked doesn't produce the highest temps, but it does stress every component, making it hard to pinpoint what's causing it to crash. In order to figure out why your system locks up, you need to run the tests individually to isolate which test causes the crashes.

(Crash at: Most likely case)

CPU only: Overclock too high, too little Vcore
FPU only: Too little Vcore or too high temps, overclock too high
(crashes with the two above might also be due to faulty CPU)
Cache Only: Uncore/SOC voltage too low, memory speed too high or timings too tight, not enough DRAM voltage
Memory: Same as above

LOL well have to say big thanks JimmiG as didnt realise was Watts as been focusing so much on other stats and temps ! I did think was more likely to be causing issues when GPU checked so will focus on drivers for that ! Much appreciated !

I was getting ~60 for a bit in the BIOS, reseated the heatsink(I saw where I screwed up) and got it to ~54, put on an AIO and it's reporting ~50.

The temps in HWMonitor were like 53, 45, and now 37. So who knows.

Pretty much the same here, I think I'm ~60 within the BIOS, but in Windows, when I load up Ryzen, I'm getting readings that fluctuate from ~23 over to ~31 and back down again. I'm in my first custom loop and remember reading something about a temperature offset, but never really deep dived into it for my 1700x.

There is a ~20 degree (positive) offset for ryzen ****x processors, though I think that's being removed in newer bios/microcode updates. The reasoning from amd for the offset was for fan curves, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Probably why they're getting rid of it.

1800x at idle temps under water cooling with bclk at 104 and and 38x

Tctl - 32c
Tdie - 13c
CPU - 44c

this is so confusing : \

There is a ~20 degree (positive) offset for ryzen ****x processors, though I think that's being removed in newer bios/microcode updates. The reasoning from amd for the offset was for fan curves, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Probably why they're getting rid of it.
Do you have a source for that? I'm about to order a 1700 to replace this 1800X for that reason alone. I'm in mITX and my motherboard limits me to "70C" max until my fanspeeds go up to 100%. I have no headroom to control my fan at all. That is absolute music to my ears though if true. There's no reason on the desktop for my fans to be spinning up and down just because AMD wanted to protect themselves first.

Just to add to the conversation on temps.. I'm on a Cryorig C7 / Arctic MX4 in a Node202 with 1800X. Temps-

Idle HWiNFO Tdie/RyzenMaster - "60C"
Max HWiNFO Tdie/RyzenMaster - "70C"

I can't tell what is and is not a real temp anymore, but I use quotes when I think it's with the +20C offset. How the hell would you know though, this issue is just absurd.

Do you have a source for that? I'm about to order a 1700 to replace this 1800X for that reason alone. I'm in mITX and my motherboard limits me to "70C" max until my fanspeeds go up to 100%. I have no headroom to control my fan at all. That is absolute music to my ears though if true. There's no reason on the desktop for my fans to be spinning up and down just because AMD wanted to protect themselves first.

Just to add to the conversation on temps.. I'm on a Cryorig C7 / Arctic MX4 in a Node202 with 1800X. Temps-

Idle HWiNFO Tdie/RyzenMaster - "60C"
Max HWiNFO Tdie/RyzenMaster - "70C"

I can't tell what is and is not a real temp anymore, but I use quotes when I think it's with the +20C offset. How the hell would you know though, this issue is just absurd.

Here you go

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Back