Ryzen 5900X overclocking help

For anyone with the dark hero where is pbo2 vs pbo in the bios? I've been using the pbo tab in amd overclocking section and not the one in extreme tweaker. Is that correct? Pbo2 has the curve optimizer right?

Also, I'm curious why people are putting a higher negative value on their bad cores vs the good cores. Wouldn't you want more voltage to the bad cores to keep them stable (ie a smaller negative value)? So instead of negative 10 on good core and negative 20 on bad, vice versa.

I'm currently running an all core -10 with CO and would like to dial it in more if possible.

It's under advanced. Don't use the ASUS menu one as that's PBO1.

The updated bios (asus hero WiFi 3204) seems to have added another menu for memory settings and voltage. Some of the settings in the main extreme tweaker section don’t seem to work anymore.

after playing with it a bit, it seems Agesa 1.2.0 is more stable that 1.1.X - I can run at IF 2000 for about 9 minutes of cinebench before it crashes (it used to crash just launching). Still trying to find out where its actually stable though
Ended up going all the way back to IF at 1866 to find stability... exactly where I was before 1.2. I could run at 1966 for an hour or two before crashing, and 1933 for 4ish hours, but always end up coming back to the host rebooted. The frustrating point is that it’s so close to stable that it seems like just 1 setting away from stability... but I have no idea what that setting is. I’ll bet all I need is one voltage tweak.

Overall I would say 1.2.0 has promise, but doesn’t quite seem to be there yet.

1.2 messes up the previously stable memory overclocks for many people on both MSI and ASUS boards. I am staying away. My PC is running fine for now. Don't need any more trouble. I also have not really seen real benefit (as in real world applications) for trying to overclock IF/mem by another 34-134 MHz. I think 1867 seems like a nice balance.

On the positive side the good news is that my CO clocks of -10 for one bad core and -25 for all others has been rock solid. Also, right now I am at PBO +200 MHz but there might be opportunity to boost that to 250 or 300 MHz. Will try it this weekend.

On the positive side the good news is that my CO clocks of -10 for one bad core and -25 for all others has been rock solid. Also, right now I am at PBO +200 MHz but there might be opportunity to boost that to 250 or 300 MHz. Will try it this weekend.
Is that a function of your MB? Mine only allows up to 200.

If you use the OC menu/feature on MSI board you can go up to +500 MHz on the PBO boost. I have it set at 200 for now.
I’ve found more consistent clocks running +75 instead of +200 on my asus board. Perhaps MSI is better in this regard?

How are you checking clock consistency?
Nothing scientific - just watching Ryzen master during various loads.

All core load tested with 32 threads of world community grid, +75 clock was 4.65 pretty consistently. At +200 I would see 4.55 consistent with very brief jumps up to 4.7 (1 sec at 4.7 every 1-2 minutes).

At +200 on single core load, which I tested much less (one run of single core cinebench) I would see very brief (1 sec) reports of 5100mhz on my 5950, but it would spend most of the time at 4925. When I dropped to +75, it would spend almost all of its time at 4975. This was with the older Asus bios though - I haven't been watching clocks with AGESA 1.2

Hmm. Interesting. I see much higher clocks w/ 200. I think the scores should be guiding principle on higher or lower. I have seen higher scores with 200 than lower clocks.

Will do some CBR20 runs to see if I also see a similar performance delta.

This is a great video,

I did what he did in this video and went to optimize my curve first. I seem to be stable with -25 on all cores and -15 on my 4 best cores and 50Mhz boost. It's actually on average boosting "better", went from seeing 5050 as my max clock on CCD0 to 5100 on CCD0. CCD1 seems to have only a 25Mhz improvement 4875->4900 where when I had +200 and -10 on best cores I was only seeing 4850-4875 on CCD1.

Last edited:
Try ProcODT around 34 ohms, and CADBUS 24-20-24-24. You can also set RTTnom to RZQ/7 and see if that helps. MAke sure you crank your DIMM voltage up and set everything manually. One wrong timing can screw up your results. If I go with all AUTO for LLC and core voltage, I get best results. Sometimes I go with vcore offset +0.0250v and LLC5 but not often. I have a 5900x , so it's got 2 CCDs. I run VSOC 1.15, VDDP 0.900, VDDG CCD 1.10 and VDDG IOD 1.10 . The second CCD can handle PBO Curve -30 on all, but on the first CCD it throws errors unless I go with -14 on my preferred core, -16 on my secondary preferred on ccd1, and -24 on the remaining CCD1 cores. It's better to lean slightly less negative on the preferred cores, but CCD2 can run full throttle. See my pic. I have to disable AV and everything else to get a solid reading on my scores. IF your TRFC on your RAM is close but not big enough, you'll see crappy l3 cache scores in Aida64. Locking in an EDC at about 192 and TDC at 133 may produce best results in gaming, but it does impact benchmarks.
Cinebench R23 = 22788, CPU-Z = 679.6 SC & 9912.4 MC, Notice the Aida64 scores which I'm particularly proud to show. And I've tried everything so get an FCLK higher than 1866 but it just throws WHEA bus/interconnect errors. And I mean, I tried EVERYTHING. sigh. Something with the PCI-E RAM tap.
1613353523830.png

I'm still not seeing anything where I want to overclock anything other than memory on the ryzen 5900x. Nothing is wrong with chasing that 10 percent, but I'm chasing more on the stable side nowadays.

From the looks of it, the only real loss is all core, when I run out of stock amperage limits.

4250 all core cinebench
4.35-4.4 all core cpu-z (9600 64.5c 10 minutes of stress)

1613359206226.png

All I did was set memory in BIOS to default/stock settings for my RAM (DDR4 3600/14-15-15-35/1.45V) and set Inifnity Fabric to 1800. Left everything else in BIOS set to auto. Then in Ryzen Master, turned on Auto OC and set Boost Override CPU to 175.

5900x-bench-14-Feb-2021.png

While I could probably tweak lots of things further to include tuning/OC'ing the memory, I'm sort of thinking why even bother... Everything is rock stable and the performance levels are through the roof compared to what I was running last year. (4790K).

My "issue" with the 5900x is seeing it hit 90C in things like Realbench 8hr stress test. And I'm on a custom loop on CPU and GPU (6900xt). Though AMD is saying (reddit.com/r/AMD) we have to rethink max temps as the 5900x is perfectly fine to run 90C 24/7 supposedly. With my current PBO settings it does 4606 all core avg and 4985 single core avg with ram running at 3800CL16 and IF 1900. As heat soak starts to occur (1x TX360 and 1x XR5 radiator) during the 8hr Realbench stress test the all core avg starts to drop until it hits around 4475 all core avg.

Heh, I do 4.5Ghz all-core at 87C-- with a NF-D15. Power consumption really spikes when you try to get that last 100Mhz or so.

My "issue" with the 5900x is seeing it hit 90C in things like Realbench 8hr stress test. And I'm on a custom loop on CPU and GPU (6900xt). Though AMD is saying (reddit.com/r/AMD) we have to rethink max temps as the 5900x is perfectly fine to run 90C 24/7 supposedly. With my current PBO settings it does 4606 all core avg and 4985 single core avg with ram running at 3800CL16 and IF 1900. As heat soak starts to occur (1x TX360 and 1x XR5 radiator) during the 8hr Realbench stress test the all core avg starts to drop until it hits around 4475 all core avg.

What's your ambient and how much power does the cpu use during that time (under all core).

Didn’t do any 8 hour tests but my max temps are 87 C w/ a 360 rad. My all core boost in most games is 4650-4750. Single core boost is 5150 but average about 4950.

I don’t understand the reco on ohm and procODT. I don’t even know where in the bios I have to set these things :).

I don’t have CBR23 scores. Can run it later but my CBR20 scores are 8900 MC and 630 SC. This is with IF 3733 and DDR4 3733 CL16.

Finally got around to running CBR23. This is with Nicehash running in the background and Epic games launcher running (which eats CPU cycles). I forgot to turn it off and have no motivation to run it again at least for now.
CBR23-20-Feb.jpg

what are the easiest / simplest setting? I went to 1.71 BIOS (MSI tomakaw x570) from 1.51 on one of my kids PCs today. I also installed latest AMD drivers, nvidia drivers, network drivers. I've used the previous settings and my RC15 scores (both single / mc) are lower now. What is the easiest/best O/C setting (set it and forget it)? I don't have time to spent on my kids PCs to get extra 5-10% LOL Should I use AMD Ryzen Master utilty in win10? to Auto O/C?

I clocked my 5800X the old fashioned way ( Multi+Voltage). Disabled all the power saving crap. Dialed in my ram to 3733 and voila 4.9Ghz rock steady. I couldn't get that Ryzen Master shit to work. Went back old school to clock.

I clocked my 5800X the old fashioned way ( Multi+Voltage). Disabled all the power saving crap. Dialed in my ram to 3733 and voila 4.9Ghz rock steady. I couldn't get that Ryzen Master shit to work. Went back old school to clock.
cool, I'd like to see some cb 20 or 23 numbers. oh and temps. haha

That's interesting. I've been looking into getting a 5800X myself, and I'm trying to figure out what the best way will be to set it up (other than stock, which is pretty frickin good). I built one for someone else, and it would not do 4.7 @ 1.3v manual Prime 95 stable, but it seemed close enough that it would probably be good at 1.32-1.33. I didn't have time to mess with it much, and I'm not sure how healthy that would've been long term.

Spoke too soon. Updated my bios to 172b and when I try and run Cinebench 20/23 it crashes. Before it was rock solid. :mad: Everything is blows right through it.

Spoke too soon. Updated my bios to 172b and when I try and run Cinebench 20/23 it crashes. Before it was rock solid. :mad: Everything is blows right through it.
Did u clear cmos after? And re-do all your settings? My scores were tad lower, but system is stable. I will do second 5900x system in the next few days.

Did u clear cmos after? And re-do all your settings? My scores were tad lower, but system is stable. I will do second 5900x system in the next few days.
I clear cmos every time I update. Redid all my settings as well.

I clear cmos every time I update. Redid all my settings as well.
I did today my 2nd tomahawk with 172 from 151 on 5900x. Installed latest amd, Realtek nic, nvidia, msi afterburner. There are no issues so far Both kids were playing and steaming for hours (mainly fortnite). I cleared cmos, in bios, set fan profiles, enabled bar for gpu, enabled pbo, changed dram timings and drams voltage. I’ve noticed cpu core voltage to use/report higher vcore temp in bios ~1.4xx, from the screenshots I saved it wa 1.3xx.

Is anyone running a per-CCX manual OC on the 5900X/5950X? My impression, and I could be dead wrong, but my impression is that you get one very high-bin chiplet (especially on the 5950X), and one not-so-high-bin chiplet with these versions.

I ran per core CO and it gave me higher CBR20 scores but now I run -10 all core as I don’t give a fuck about CBR20.

Hi

Does someone knows what the setting "active frequency mode" on an asus board is used for? I read it helps with stability and maybe temperature, should I activate it?

Thanks

Is anyone running a per-CCX manual OC on the 5900X/5950X? My impression, and I could be dead wrong, but my impression is that you get one very high-bin chiplet (especially on the 5950X), and one not-so-high-bin chiplet with these versions.
Yes, this is how it works. Although, while one chiplet is generally better than the other, not all the cores within the good chiplet actually clock as high as the advertised boost clocks. The shitlet may have one or two cores that are better than the rest in the same shitlet, but generally speaking, you won't get much out of them.

Yes, this is how it works. Although, while one chiplet is generally better than the other, not all the cores within the good chiplet actually clock as high as the advertised boost clocks. The shitlet may have one or two cores that are better than the rest in the same shitlet, but generally speaking, you won't get much out of them.

Between the 5900 and 5950 I have had, I noticed the same as well, one chiplet is usually slightly better (about 100mhz average on the 5900x) and close to the same on the 5950x.

What are your settings?

i've read some topics with people getting a lot more performance with an all core OC instead of PBO
I'd like to know what your thoughts about it?

Here are my settings

Per CCX and scores
47/46
Vid : 1.31

Digi + settings
CPU capabilily : 120%
LLC : Auto

PBO settings :
ppt : 185
edc 170
tdc 125

Curve : -30 and -15 on the 4 best cores

My scores are :
R20 multi : 9191
R20 single : 683

Cpu z multi : 10150
Cpuz single : 683

Geek bench multi : 15400
Geek bench single : 1741

Maybe try

200 PPT
140TDC
180 EDC

+200 -30 all core.

Those aren't my settings, but its in the ball park.

Core cycler or whatever falls on its face, but super pi32m runs at 5150 and doesn't crash, so that's good. I don't think windows uses the CPU like the way core cycler tests. Its everything else stable :D

Revive thread as I just started OC on my 5900x.

All I've done is set PBO2 all core negative offset to -25. Temps steady at 64c for the entire bench.

Memory 16-16-16-36-1T

All cores at 4432 except core 2@4614 and core 3@4652.

CINEBENCH R23 22032.jpg

CPUZ CPU Bench 01.11.22.jpg

Call it a day or keep pushing?

Revive thread as I just started OC on my 5900x.

All I've done is set PBO2 all core negative offset to -25. Temps steady at 64c for the entire bench.

Memory 16-16-16-36-1T

All cores at 4432 except core 2@4614 and core 3@4652.

View attachment 431190

View attachment 431191

Call it a day or keep pushing?
How stable is it? Mine is stable on all of the stress testing CB23 etc, but it used to take a dump at idle every now and then. Sorted it out by adjusting the PBO2 settings once I found out which cores were crap. Seems to have worked now….. well, still observing.

How stable is it? Mine is stable on all of the stress testing CB23 etc, but it used to take a dump at idle every now and then. Sorted it out by adjusting the PBO2 settings once I found out which cores were crap. Seems to have worked now….. well, still observing.
I had 1 BSOD after a few hours of BF5 with the offset at -30 all core. Had it at -25 a few days now without issue.

I had 1 BSOD after a few hours of BF5 with the offset at -30 all core. Had it at -25 a few days now without issue.
I also setup a WHEA error custom view in Eventviewer to see which core was acting funky during any crash. Really helped in identifying which specific core needed adjusting. Also used CTR 2.1 to rank the cores in terms of quality, and then adjusted accordingly (I didn’t use its auto oc feature, only to see the ranking)

May I ask what brand of mobo you are using? I’m using an ASUS board as I’m also using the dynamic oc switcher for the times single thread performance is needed.

Back