Ryan Shrout Goes to Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Oct 24, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Exactly. It has been a good ride that actually has lasted longer than I thought it would. I have seen ebbs and flows in the business for 20 years. We used to be able to put enough money away during the good years to weather the bad, but when you don't get any more good years, it shakes your faith in this a bit. Certainly written media is going the way of the dodo in the hardware community end of it unless you are owned by a publishing giant.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. FrgMstr

Actually is about 6'3".

iamjanco, McCartney and c3k like this.
  3. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Got turned to [H] from PCper so this is definitely interesting to see. I hope the transition isn't too painful for them.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. FrgMstr

Exactly.

5. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Well with Ryan at the helm at least we wont get that terrible 9900k pre-review bullshit again! In Ryan we trust!

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. FrgMstr

THIS. There are a lot of things at Intel that need to be fixed, and I think it is an great pick to bring Intel internal testing into today's age.

7. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I didn't know him by name but I knew right away who was being talked about. One of my favorite tech guys. Always thought he had a commanding knowledge of tech. I think this is a fantastic opportunity for him and I bet he is super excited to be moving on. Wonder when AMD will shoot Kyle a job offer

Brackle likes this.
  8. AMD Ryzen

AMD Ryzen n00b

9. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

So Anand left for Apple, Scott watson left for AMD and now Ryan is gone to intel.

Seems you are the last man standing Kyle which means you are banned from leaving until you retire!!!

last-man.png

pendragon1 and FrgMstr like this.
  10. LostInRehab

LostInRehab Limp Gawd

Anand went to apple.

Makaveli@BETA likes this.
  11. AMD Ryzen

AMD Ryzen n00b

12. McCartney

McCartney Gawd

hahahha n1

edit: i dunno why i find this funny, but it is.

13. JohnnyGatt

JohnnyGatt GamingFace

Intel are lucky to get him! the amount of time Ryan taught me somthing about my products when I was at VIA! :p

alxlwson and FrgMstr like this.
  14. Slash3

Slash3 Limp Gawd

Kyle's pissed off too many industry yes men, no one would want him. And we wouldn't have it any other way. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. chithanh

chithanh Gawd

16. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

17. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

And I'm sort of the opposite. That incident further hurt trust I had in pcper after the gtx 970 coverage. I haven't watched the podcast in awhile because of schedule differences and I'm burned out on watching most pc tech stuff lately. Good luck though to Shrout and the guys at pcper. The podcast is one of the best around.

18. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Kinda feels like you're telling Kyle he doesn't know what he's talking about?

19. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I've never been an ad person. Anywhere.

But I do do my best to support the websites I use. For example, here. I make sure to post to hotdeals any chance I get. In fact, I check my traps daily and if I see anything good I post it here in the hopes of people buying from Amazon and using Hardocp's affiliate link. I've had 1,000's of page views so I hope those views converted into income for Hardocp. Plus when I'm talking with friends or new people that are tech heads if it's applicable then I will bring up Hardocp.

20. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Long Time No See

I always liked Ryan, he's always been a straight shooter. Good for him, best of luck to him and PCPer...which I think will do pretty well without him. He seems to have been disengaging himself from the day to day stuff for a while now and he's got good people in place there.

Best of luck to you Mr.Shrout, and congratulations!

21. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Long Time No See

Well, I can answer that pretty easily by fixing your question:

Yes, and he has integrity. A rare and beautiful combination. :)

22. longblock454

longblock454 [H]ard|Gawd

No way Intel is going to let him run wild, he will have a leash, only time will tell how tight that leash actually is.

N4CR and The Worst Player like this.
  23. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

That is not what I said ...

24. Space_Ranger

Space_Ranger Gawd

Forgot the obligatory, "And get off my lawn you young whipper snappers!" ;)

25. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

There is nothing about video that makes it worse for reviews than articles on the internet. You sound like the people that claimed print media was a better medium for reviews than internet articles back when magazines mattered. Like with any review, a good one takes more time and effort than an okay one. Gamer's Nexus tends to do excellent video reviews because they put in the time and effort to make them good and use the medium to its advantage. A lot of others just seem to throw something together and call it good enough. It's like comparing a good written review to an average one.

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

Never used it here. But that's only because I am completely broke and have been for a while, otherwise I would ask if there's any way to have a premium tier that don't display them, without even needing adblockers. Is this available BTW?

27. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

It's a personality thing. Some people like videos better, others doesn't. I know I hate watching videos, I would rather read, and my wife is the same. Many people I know, however, would rather watch a video.

28. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I disagree completely, for the following reasons.

1.) Reading Speed vs. Speaking Speed.

The average American reads at up to 300 words per minute. Those of us who are partially educated and read on a regular basis read way faster than that. Recommended speaking speed for clarity is about 150-160 words per minute. Right there, the information delivered in a written review is much more time effective than videos.

2.) Skimming, Skipping and Searching

Not all parts of every review are interesting to every person. I often find myself playing video reviews at 1.5x or 2x the speed because some idiot youtuber is blathering on about some useless shit or how I should subscribe to their channel (I'll never subscribe to any youtube channel) etc. etc. I could skip forward, but then I miss an important part and have to rewind again, etc. etc. A huge pain in the ass. In a written review I have an automatic outline and layout I can look at and decide to read the parts that are interesting to me, and not have to sit through the predefined time the youtuber idiot decided to show a chart I am completely uninterested in.

3.) Sound

I do most of my consumption in an open office environment, or on the go. I don't want to blast some random youtubers annoying voice, or preference in dubstep just because I want to get information about some hardware.

4.) Referring Back

I usually read most if not all of most reviews the first time around, but sometimes you want to refer back to something you read, and the ability to free text search, or quickly skim there is key. No way I'm sitting though the dumb video review yet another time after how frustrating it was the first time.

So I maintain, that the video format, while it has some really great applications, like instructional videos, is objectively much much worse than the written format. At least if you aren't illiterate.

thebufenator, M76, SmokeRngs and 4 others like this.
  29. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

Could you imagine hearing all of [H]'s articles in Linus from LTT's voice?!

N4CR, FrgMstr and Zarathustra[H] like this.
  30. Zarathustra[H]

:eek:

Luckily Kyle sounds nothing like that, but I'd still rather read the reviews.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    N4CR, FrgMstr and BoiseTech like this.
  31. Derangel

A lot of that comes down more to preference and specific circumstances related to each person. I am so incredibly picky when it comes to writing that I simply don't bother with most written reviews anymore. It takes too long to find people who's writing I care to read. It's why I stick around [H] for my written reviews. Kyle and Brent present their articles in a manner that doesn't fuck around for age in order to get people to view a billion pages before getting to the right information. I find that shit more infuriating than any Youtube review I have ever watched. I don't like skimming or skipping stuff in a review. If I like the review I want to read all of it, unless I'm just looking for one specific test.

Written is really only time efficient if you have the time to sit down and read. I tend to throw on videos when I'm in the middle of other things or I'm not in an environment where I can tune out the world in order to read something (which is most of the time).

100% agree on the dubstep stuff though. If a review is going to throw charts on the screen I'd rather they take the time to talk about the information they're showing. Go over each chart, provide insight on the numbers, something besides dead air or bad music.

I don't really have an issue with referring back and finding stuff in videos. Its not as easy, but rarely bothers me.

I find for something like a case review video is a better format. Pictures can only convey so much where as good b-roll and build time-lapses can provide a lot better information on how your own hardware, or hardware you're looking at, is going to fit into the case. Unless a reviewer is going to photograph ever inch of a case at several angles its hard to match what a video can provide in that case.

wolfofone likes this.
  32. Zarathustra[H]

I can see this being one of the few areas where I would find a video review useful.

It's often difficult to get a good grasp on how things will fit in a cage just from pictures and written content.

33. Derangel

Yep. Watching case reviews is what got me into watching other video reviews as I found a couple people I liked and just watched more of their stuff. Sadly, all but one of them are now no longer really worth paying much attention to.

34. wolfofone

wolfofone Gawd

Agreed about the showing charts but not talking about them while playing annoying af music being, well, annoying lol. You could at least say what the chart is and a quick rundown of the numbers for people that are just listening to the audio or watching while doing other stuff heh.

35. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Most don't realize how rigid Intel is within. Sure you can get OTP at the company gigs but you will work your ass off and be pretty restricted in what you can do in most situations. And that is the environment that fosters scenarios where companies like AMD one up them once and a while..

36. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

I actually don't know any of these guys you all talk about...but it seems...sorry for your loss?
    :)

And If i win the Euromillions I'll bankroll [H] for at least a month
    :D

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I completely agree. I hate the fact that nowadays even when I'm just searching for benchmarks about something, the first page is full of videos as a result. I mean there are guys who just put up the charts as a slideshow in a video now. Ridiculous.

Even for step by step instructional material videos are much worse than written articles. Because I often only want clarification on one or two steps of the whole process. And the rest I'd just skip. But finding the steps I'm interested in in a 15 minute video is a nightmare.

The only educational material that works as a video are documentary style pieces. Otherwise videos are strictly for entertainment, not for learning new information.

38. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Are you kidding me? I hate case reviews the most in video format. When I just want to look at a case, and I have to sit trough or sift trough 10 minutes of blabbering just to catch a glimpse of the case in the angle and configuration I'm interested in? No thanks.