RX Vega Owners Thread

I am going to save my money. That said, I do not like NVidia hardware for my personal machines, AMD only all the way! :)

That's cool, gotta respect a man and his convictions. I was just talking at a price to performance ratio. Waiting is indeed the hardest part, especially in times like these where GPU's are priced so high.

That's cool, gotta respect a man and his convictions. I was just talking at a price to performance ratio. Waiting is indeed the hardest part, especially in times like these where GPU's are priced so high.

Yep, in the professional realm I am in, I have no issue with recommending or using whatever the customer wants or needs. It is just for my own personal machines, I will stick with AMD. Perhaps I will be a Vega owner next year, I will upgrade eventually and Vega 56 is the best buy that AMD has to offer. (It is also cool to hear the really good overclocks the owners are getting, even with the reference cooler.)

It would be a waste of money at $499 to buy a Vega 56. The 1070 ti is out in November and will outperform it at $429 MSRP. Unless you're tied to AMD. I wouldn't do it.

Also, $499 dollars for a Vega 56 is highway robbery. You might as well buy a GTX 1080.
The cheapest 1070 at Newegg is $399 (Mini) everything else is north of $400. I doubt the 1070 Ti will have a real buying cost of $429 in the near future. I would still recommend the Vega 56 over the 1070 Ti reason being is it will be memory limited since it is still using DDR5 vice DDR5x. A 1080 is a good option over the 56. The 56 if it comes with two games that you want to play (Prey is great and I very much look forward to Wolfenstein) is OK.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the Vegas that are selling on Newegg are not the Radeon packs and therefore do not come with games anymore.

In the earlier days of the Vega launch Newegg had a second item that was added to the cart to create a combo. Those have all since disappeared.

MSI Afterburner

New beta 19 is online:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Changes list includes:

· Added low-level AMD Vega 10 graphics processors family support. This means that now MSI AB can access this GPU directly without AMD ADL API, so more powerful voltage control (no longer limited by AMD ADL API) and extended and more efficient low-level hardware monitoring are available for Vega now
· Core voltage control for reference design AMD Vega series cards is now performed via low-level access to on-die SMC microcontroller. Voltage is adjusted in offset form now, applied to all P-states (just like it was on Fiji/Polaris) and full -100..+100 range is available
· Added GPU power draw graph to hardware monitoring module for AMD Vega series graphics cards
· Added HBM memory temperature graph to hardware monitoring module for AMD Vega series graphics cards
· Improved voltage offset calculation accuracy for AMD Fiji, Ellesmere and Baffin GPU families
· Improved voltage offset programming reliability on AMD Ellesmere and Baffin GPU families
· Fixed stuck GPU usage and memory controller usage monitoring on AMD Radeon RX 500 series under 17.6.1 and newer drivers
- Fixed issue with opening wrong graph properties under certain conditions when right clicking a graph in hardware monitoring window and selecting “Properties” command from the context menu
- Fixed issue with wrong alarm threshold visualization on the graph label in OSD for monochrome OSD layouts
- Improved plugins:
+ Data sources exported by plugins no longer share the same MONITORING_SOURCE_ID_UNKNOWN data source identifier, which means that now you can define independent custom formatting (e.g. group colors) for plugin specific data sources in OSD layout editor
+ PerfCounter plugin has been improved to handle corrupted registry performance counters list on some systems and to be able to access at least the part of performance counters available on the system in such case
- I've temporarily signed both installer and application executable with my own signature.

Anyone tried Crossfire with their AMD Vega in StarWars Battlefront II Beta (which is extended till the 11th?)

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/events/beta

I get like 65-75FPS @ 7680x1440 and ultra settings. (guesstimate since there is no true benchmarking app - so that's just me looking at the FPS counter) with 2 Vega 56 in Crossfire
vs. 55-65FPS - (again guesstimate based on the FPS counter) with a single Vega 56 @7680x1440 (ultra settings)

I haven't tried my liquid cooled Vega 64 yet. I realize this is Beta release, but that scaling I'm seeing isn't very nice. Is that what you guys are seeing? (It is the Frostbite engine and previously - the Frostbite engine scaled really well with my Fury X cards - so I guess this is another example perhaps where Vega Crossfire isn't a freebie assumption.)

PS - you can't use DX12 in the menus or Crossfire doesn't work from what I understand - since DX12 doesn't support Crossfire or SLI in the traditional sense.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Crossfire with their AMD Vega in StarWars Battlefront II Beta (which is extended till the 11th?)

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/events/beta

I get like 65-75FPS - (guesstimate since there is no true benchmarking app - so that's just me looking at the FPS counter) with 2 Vega 56 in Crossfire
vs. 55-65FPS - (again guesstimate based on the FPS counter) with a single Vega 56.

I haven't tried my liquid cooled Vega 64 yet. I realize this is Beta release, but that scaling I'm seeing isn't very nice. Is that what you guys are seeing? (It is the Frostbite engine and previously - the Frostbite engine scaled really well with my Fury X cards - so I guess this is another example perhaps where Vega Crossfire isn't a freebie assumption.)

PS - you can't use DX12 in the menus or Crossfire doesn't work.

Sounds like it might need a working crossfire profile.

Last edited:
Yep, in the professional realm I am in, I have no issue with recommending or using whatever the customer wants or needs. It is just for my own personal machines, I will stick with AMD. Perhaps I will be a Vega owner next year, I will upgrade eventually and Vega 56 is the best buy that AMD has to offer. (It is also cool to hear the really good overclocks the owners are getting, even with the reference cooler.)

Well, I knew I said I was going to wait and not upgrade the video card to a Vega 56. However, I have since decided to go ahead and do it, since I have already sold my first R9 Fury back in August and just sold the other one today. :) I am going to cancel my pre order of my XBox One X today and wait for another time with that. Besides, my XBox One that I bought back in December, 2013 is still going strong.

So, I will be a Vega owner in just a few short days. :D

My system is working mostly OK now, so I don't think I need to update just yet.

One thing I really wished they would fix is WattMan resetting to default, even with working settings.

Chrome video acceleration seems to be broken again. Back to psychedelic colors again. ;)

I don't have that--but
The pause came back when I first try to type in the URL bar.

Just leave Youtube autoplaying videos and then start multitasking hardcore. Open a bunch of tabs to websites and then scroll through a Twitter feed.

I should have asked before but better now then never: Do these cards support UEFI GOP? Thanks.

upload_2017-10-12_15-10-27.png

think I'm finally done guys.

Haha, I can't lie I've considered selling and buying a 1080ti but I appreciate the degree of homogeneity and honestly the setup is bloody fast for my 1440p setup.

Vega 56 incoming tomorrow and getting excited about it. :) Cool thing is, this card will do well in 4k, just not everything maxed out but then again, I never though AA needed to be maxed at 4K on a 28 inch screen regardless.
Using Vega 56 at 4K as well. It's going to depend on how well a game is optimized, but I've found running at 3456x1944 (using CRU) is a pretty good compromise. Leads to a healthy boost in FPS (guessing some bottleneck there) for an unnoticeable loss in IQ. Again, it depends on the game, some games with fine detail do benefit from 3840x2160, but most games with TAA or motion blur it's not really noticeable. For the really demanding titles, 3200x1800 is the next step. I'm targeting 50 fps, btw, which is pretty good with FreeSync. Of course, for faster paced games, targeting 60 fps. Just wish all games were as well optimized as Forza 7. 4K Ultra 8x MSAA - locked 60 fps at 80% GPU usage. Insane!

Anyone try afterburner yet? My hbm high reads 100c but I can't find the data point in the graph so it must be for such a minute period of time. Overall hbm temp stays at 59 to 61ish

You can also try a 21:9 4K custom resolution (e.g. 3840x1640). This will allow the standard pixel density of 4K, but with letterboxed black bars. Scaling is 1:1, so you don't blur the image but you do regain some performance headroom.

I did this on Deus Ex MD to allow me to play on my Titan X (Pascal) on High settings, which was not possible at the full 4K resolution. I would say you can get around 20% boost, which got me from 50 fps to 60 fps in this case.

Anyone try afterburner yet? My hbm high reads 100c but I can't find the data point in the graph so it must be for such a minute period of time. Overall hbm temp stays at 59 to 61ish
No, I haven't tried the new Afterburner yet, but I want to check it out since WattMan seems to reset settings all the time and I have to check and/or redo them every time I load a game.

Looks like Trixx 6.5 has been pulled? There was some instability with that, sure, but it was the only utility that worked for me.

Looks like Trixx 6.5 has been pulled? There was some instability with that, sure, but it was the only utility that worked for me.
Try afterburner. I liked trixx too. Wattman is trash for me and randomly resets.

Last edited:
Well, so far, Wattman set on Turbo seems to work well. However, I have not had time to tweak at the moment but, I am looking forward to it.

New MSI Afterburner beta is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta20.rar

- Downvoltage limits have been increased from -100mV to -200mV for AMD Vega series
- Added new "Graph separator" properties to OSD layout. Similar to existing "Group separator" properties, they allow you to insert custom text (e.g. a few new line symbols) right before any displayed graph and this way easily separate some graphs vertically in OSD if necessary
- Improved PerfCounter plugin configuration file, units of "Network download rate" and "Network upload rate" have been changed from KB/s to MB/s. Also now the plugin supports displaying network download and upload rate performance counters for up to 4 network interfaces instead of the first network interface in the previous version config
- Bundled RTSS distributive have been upgraded to 7.0.0 beta 30 with "Middle Earth : Shadow of War" OSD support, beta 30 installer has been slightly updated (a few more built-in profiles added)

Anyone play with hbcc? I enabled it setting it to 12GB, got a 200pt boost in superposition (10700 to 10900).

Wanted to ask the users of vegas if the drivers for dx9 are good.Was planing on a vega 64 but in my workflow im still using a dx9 game engine and was wandering if i will get proper perfomance compared to nvidias drivers.

Wanted to ask the users of vegas if the drivers for dx9 are good.Was planing on a vega 64 but in my workflow im still using a dx9 game engine and was wandering if i will get proper perfomance compared to nvidias drivers.

I can benchmark for you, does source engine work for you?

I can benchmark for you, does source engine work for you?
Im using UDK which is unreal engine 3.It does use dx11(crapy implementation) but dx9 is somehow still more prefered.

My best guess is games that use it i supose, like borderlands,rocket league,ut3 etc.But any dx9 info shoud be welcomed.I doubt amd has cripled dx9 drivers in compare to dx11 and 12?

I can get 60 FPS locked on Borderlands 1 with Vega 64, 4K max settings (framerate limit in game, I haven't tried disabling it).

In Dishonored 1 I can get around 80 - 90 FPS 4K max settings with 1 Vega 64, or 150+ FPS in Crossfire.

Left4Dead I'm getting around 150 - 200 FPS with Crossfire 4K maxed (I can't remember exactly how it was with one card, but I believe above 100 FPS).

Back