RTX 3xxx performance speculation

I think Steve “Hardware Jesus” from GN usually doesn’t accept review samples or often sign NDAs for exactly this reason and I feel like I’ve seen videos from him about being not sent review samples or being banned before. I would trust his reviews and LTT and AT as well.
Steve gets zero day review samples and support from NVIDIA. Ask him.

I think Steve “Hardware Jesus” from GN usually doesn’t accept review samples or often sign NDAs for exactly this reason and I feel like I’ve seen videos from him about being not sent review samples or being banned before. I would trust his reviews and LTT and AT as well.

Day 1 reviews are crucial, so how do you expect that to happen if they do not get a day zero sample from the company. Alot here allude to the fact that the reviewers will be bias because they are getting a 'free' sample.

From what I understand, is they return the sample anyhow. Heck, if they could BUY the sample on day zero from AMD/Nvidia, they probably would as they could just sell it or give it away on their channel to boost views.

Day 1 reviews are crucial, so how do you expect that to happen if they do not get a day zero sample from the company.
How do you think Kyle got his card for the 2070 review that was published ahead of the embargo? https://web.archive.org/web/2019071...force_rtx_2070_gaming_z_performance_review/12

GN talked a number of times about this, most recently in their AMD relations video. They do not need to get cards from the chip vendor, they have access to cards before launch through their industry contacts.

How do you think Kyle got his card for the 2070 review that was published ahead of the embargo?
I got that card from a gray market supplier in China. How do you think I got it? Assuredly NVIDIA did not supply nor their partners.

I may have asked before but does anyone have any thoughts on whether 3080ti will follow the same form factor as 3090? Is the cooler on the 3090 FE quieter than 3080?

I may have asked before but does anyone have any thoughts on whether 3080ti will follow the same form factor as 3090? Is the cooler on the 3090 FE quieter than 3080?

Yeah the cooler is much quieter, and it takes about 10 minutes to soak the heatsink, so for a lot of workloads (as in, not fully sustained 100%) it's actually very quiet (see Gamers Nexus videos on FE 3080 and FE 3090). Plus good case cooling can also make it quieter for longer. I wouldn't expect them to use the same on the cheaper 3080 ti but what do I know.

Has there been any news about SAM equivalent for nVidia yet?

B94D8B61-22DA-475A-AD47-C95493F340D6.jpeg

The 3090 I have is a bit disappointing. It's nice having the fastest card, but this is the smallest generation-to-generation upgrade I can recall by a good amount, and I've ran the highest end since the original Titan. Part of the problem with the 3090 is the power throttling, but you can't just ignore how much power it consumes. The 2080Ti HC FTW3s I have can boost to ~2100mhz and will consume ~375W doing so. My 3090 will hit around ~1920-1950mhz with that same power usage (it has a 375W PT). At those clocks and same power usage, the 3090 is about ~20% faster in non-RTX workloads than the ~2100mhz 2080Tis I have. That's gaming at 4K with some hashcat benchmarks as well. Sure the 3090 may have some more headroom if I can ever get beyond the power limit and get up into the 2000-2100mhz clock range, but then I'll be consuming some 450W+ doing so. At least RTX performance will be much better should I ever get around to using it.

The 3090 I have is a bit disappointing. It's nice having the fastest card, but this is the smallest generation-to-generation upgrade I can recall by a good amount, and I've ran the highest end since the original Titan. Part of the problem with the 3090 is the power throttling, but you can't just ignore how much power it consumes. The 2080Ti HC FTW3s I have can boost to ~2100mhz and will consume ~375W doing so. My 3090 will hit around ~1920-1950mhz with that same power usage (it has a 375W PT). At those clocks and same power usage, the 3090 is about ~20% faster in non-RTX workloads than the ~2100mhz 2080Tis I have. That's gaming at 4K with some hashcat benchmarks as well. Sure the 3090 may have some more headroom if I can ever get beyond the power limit and get up into the 2000-2100mhz clock range, but then I'll be consuming some 450W+ doing so. At least RTX performance will be much better should I ever get around to using it.
Yeah, im using the 450W bios on my FTW3 and have my core clocked at 2050Mhz and memory at 20500Mhz. But I feel you, it crushes RT games at 4k compared to my 2080Ti, but without RT, its not a massive leap. My temps stay under 70C tho, love the cooler on this thing. I've debated flashing to the 500W bios... but not too sure there is much to be gained from it gaming wise... lol

I'm not looking forward to that. I had already felt it before it started to cool off a bit.
I think my 3080 is faulty then :LOL: because the house here is kept at ~65-67F and even during demanding games such as Control, I'm still freezing! 🥶😅
Jokes aside my card tops out at 72-75F it seems, during those more demanding games. During less demanding games it is around 55-62F

I think my 3080 is faulty then :LOL: because the house here is kept at ~65-67F and even during demanding games such as Control, I'm still freezing! 🥶😅
Jokes aside my card tops out at 72-75F it seems, during those more demanding games. During less demanding games it is around 55-62F
That's C not F. Big difference.

LOL... if you keep your place at 67F and your card under load goes to 55F, I want that card, you found an impossible loophole in physics... 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
The 12 GB version is already all but confirmed, so this seems likely. Not sure why it has to be called "Ultra", though.
Because plain "3060 12 GB" means it slots below the 3060 Ti and they would have to charge less for it.
"3060 Ultra" is ambiguous and now they can charge $400+ for it. Nvidia is going to try to milk people who have been complaining about VRAM.

Psssst! 3090 founders was in stock on Best Buy was able to order for local pickup. Just logged in randomly and was able to check out. Try it!

The “silencer” cooler plus the availability of the card ultimately swung me. I was a firm no on the 3090 but at least they are obtainable.

Last edited:
The 3060 Ultra photo is probably fake.

Here's the 3060 Ti photo from ASUS' website (original image): https://dlcdnwebimgs.asus.com/gain/8b1a5d07-34ab-4ef7-946a-63c89205edc6/
Here's the 3060 Ultra from WCCFTech: https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...ltra-12-GB-GDDR6-Graphics-Card-Pictured-1.png

Zoom in on the top of the Ultra box and you can clearly see the word "Ultra" is pasted onto the box. Here's what their 2080 Super box looked like for comparison:
https://www.quietpc.com/images/products/asus-rtx2080s-dual-o8g-evo-v2-box-large.jpg

You can see the word "Super" is supposed to be on the same line as the model number.

edit: To top it off, we have the product listing from a few weeks ago that shows "3060 12 GB". I guess they could've changed the name since then, though.

Last edited:
Psssst! 3090 founders was in stock on Best Buy was able to order for local pickup. Just logged in randomly and was able to check out. Try it!

The “silencer” cooler plus the availability of the card ultimately swung me. I was a firm no on the 3090 but at least they are obtainable.

You just happened to log in randomly during one of their bi-weekly drops. 13 out of 14 days they are not available. Cheaper cards were either OOS or unavailable to be purchased at the physical location I was at.

Is there any chance that the 3080ti will outperform the 3090 in gaming any way?

I bought a 3090 FE today but damn with tax it was $1,600! Holy cow. I am adamant that 3080 is not enough vram and in any event 3090 is clearly much easier to find. So my choice is ride out my 1080ti to 3080ti and hope there is stock, or just keep (pick up) the 3090 and hope I am good for a few years. I can afford it but I feel like 3080ti will be the better card to ride out into the next gen but who knows when that is available. I’d like to upsample all my games to 4K and then migrate to a 4K OLED display this year.

I feel like I had a craving for steak and just bought a whole cow to live with me.

Should I throw the 3090 back into the sea and just wait for 3080ti. I feel like all of these cards are obsolete out of the gate because RTX tech is so new, but the cooler on 3090 is so nice and quiet it is perfect for my main room.

Damn I bought the thing and I still am not sure I even want it. The price is ludicrous.

Keep the 3090, if you can get a 3080 Ti for a good price eventually, sell the 3090.
Probably not worth the effort.

Is there any chance that the 3080ti will outperform the 3090 in gaming any way?

I bought a 3090 FE today but damn with tax it was $1,600! Holy cow. I am adamant that 3080 is not enough vram and in any event 3090 is clearly much easier to find. So my choice is ride out my 1080ti to 3080ti and hope there is stock, or just keep (pick up) the 3090 and hope I am good for a few years. I can afford it but I feel like 3080ti will be the better card to ride out into the next gen but who knows when that is available. I’d like to upsample all my games to 4K and then migrate to a 4K OLED display this year.

Yes, there's a decent chance. Rumor says it's the same basic core just with different memory configuration. Less memory might allow slightly lower power draw and higher boosted speeds.

At best it will be between the 3080 and the 3090 in performance (splitting the difference in performance between the two), but realistically it will be near 3090 performance at ~$300-500 less.

Keep the 3090, if you can get a 3080 Ti for a good price eventually, sell the 3090.
Probably not worth the effort.

I think the "resale" value of the 3090 is going to be somewhat less if the 3080Ti almost matches the performance.

I’m thinking the cooler on the 3090 is going to be quieter and better than what the 3080ti is going to have. That doesn’t justify the price, but supposedly 3090 FE cooler is near SILENT. That is worth some coin I suppose.

Back