RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Jesus fking Christ. I did some calculations.

2080Ti was released at $999 in the US.
In Sweden, custom cards were around $1450.
That's 150% of 2080Ti MRSP.
If 3090 is $1400 at release, we're looking at $2100 for custom cards.
Yeah, fuck that.

Actually a solid sixty at 1080p for the last five, but thanks!

Sorry dude, but you have to qualify that.

I have HD 530 (virtually identical to your 8700), and the last AAA game I could play at 1080p mostly high and 60 fps was Portal 2.

More demanding (but still ancient) games like Batman Arkham City and DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED yield 720p at 30-40.

You really have to curate what titles you run o that system. Even easy 3d games like Transistor drops below 40fps at 1080p quite often.

Jesus fking Christ. I did some calculations.

2080Ti was released at $999 in the US.
In Sweden, custom cards were around $1450.
That's 150% of 2080Ti MRSP.
If 3090 is $1400 at release, we're looking at $2100 for custom cards.
Yeah, fuck that.

The 2080 Ti was never actually $999 anywhere though. You were lucky to find it for $1200.

The 2080 Ti was never actually $999 anywhere though. You were lucky to find it for $1200.

Yeah, even so, you add some tax and it's prob around 10%.
We're taxed 25% on top of already more expensive cards.
2080Ti Strix and similar premium cards were around $1700 in Sweden.
Go figure.

Suddenly selling my current computer and getting PS5 + Alienware m17 R3 with 2080 Super looks so much more interesting than buying a 3090.

I have HD 530 (virtually identical to your 8700)
...on laptops not mentioned in my sig. I have way too much stuff to fit all of that in there. My desktop is in there, though, to show that I do actually have a point of comparison for performance.
the last AAA game I could play at 1080p mostly high and 60 fps was Portal 2.

More demanding (but still ancient) games like Batman Arkham City and DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED yield 720p at 30-40.
I'm not trying to play anything particularly recent or high-end, or with anything approaching high settings. Not sure where you two got that inference.

I'm talking about being able to play at all, since we're talking about integrated graphics here, relative to the statement that Intel graphics are crappy.

They're slow, to be sure, but they're also fairly stable and compatible.

Hmmm, 35% increase across the board and more at 4k.
If 3090 is 50% faster than 2080Ti at 4k, that would put it close to twice the speed of 1080Ti.
HMMMMMM. The jacket man might afford a new jacket because of me.
But not at $2000 lol.

WccFtech chart still looks the most legit. If the 3070 = 2080ti and a 3080 is 35% more than a 2080, then the 3070 and 3080 will be VERY close.

My guess is the 3070 will fall just shy of the 2080ti and the 3080 around 50% more than the 2080.

Hmmm, 35% increase across the board and more at 4k.
If 3090 is 50% faster than 2080Ti at 4k, that would put it close to twice the speed of 1080Ti.
HMMMMMM. The jacket man might afford a new jacket because of me.
But not at $2000 lol.
If those speeds are accurate I'm wondering where I'd cut the line off for the 3090.

850w PSU for the 3090?...I just bought a 750w PSU for my new AMD build thinking it was future proof for the next 5 years

They're slow, to be sure, but they're also fairly stable and compatible.

I just tried launching Trine 1 and Trine 2 on my Intel IGP. It should be more than capable of running the first game at 1080p 60 fps, but it doesn't even launch the game.

Indy games are touch-and-go with Intel!

Unfortunately their performance is really too low to play all those AAA games they're fully-compatible with! Compared to both AMD and Nvidia, the driver compatibility is shit. But at-least they've been releasing drivers more than just once a year (but only for AAA games you can barely play.)

I have never had trouble running that game on my NVIDIA cards.

3Dfx just straight up stopped trying to innovate and got buried by Nvidia; Intel has been putting out great integrated parts for... nearly two decades?

Actually it wasnt that 3Dfx failed to innovate, it was that they tried to push their partner card makers out and make all the cards themselves to maximise profit. It unfortunately ate up all their cash and drove their partners away, and leaving little money for RnD. Then rehashing old arch and not pushing ahead with new standards. they got left behind and only bankruptcy was on the road ahead.

A decent 750W will be fine unless you have a real power sucker CPU you are overclocking.
An 850W figure covers those without such good PSUs.

A decent 750W will be fine unless you have a real power sucker CPU you are overclocking.

I recently bought the highly rated Corsair RM750x for my upcoming build...

Actually it wasnt that 3Dfx failed to innovate, it was that they tried to push their partner card makers out and make all the cards themselves to maximise profit. It unfortunately ate up all their cash and drove their partners away, and leaving little money for RnD. Then rehashing old arch and not pushing ahead with new standards. they got left behind and only bankruptcy was on the road ahead.
That's... basically what I was summarizing :)

[Voodoo Graphics, 2, 3, and 5 veteran here; the 5 went back for a Geforce 2]

Considering that my 3700x uses about 50-watts less power than my i7 4790k did, I have a feeling I'll be fine with my 750-watt EVGA 80+ Gold PSU. If I have to buy a new PSU for a 3090, dear god...

I will say one thing. AMD really nailed power efficiency on their Zen 2 processors. Seriously, these things should not be this power efficient for the amount of performance they provide.

Considering that my 3700x uses about 50-watts less power than my i7 4790k did, I have a feeling I'll be fine with my 750-watt EVGA 80+ Gold PSU. If I have to buy a new PSU for a 3090, dear god...

I will say one thing. AMD really nailed power efficiency on their Zen 2 processors. Seriously, these things should not be this power efficient for the amount of performance they provide.

I think you'll be fine. I have a 3700x + Titan XP and the max i've ever seen drawn from the wall is well under 500w

found this article. Looks like the 3070 is going to have 2080Ti level performance for $600. If this is true, the 2080Ti is instantly de-valued big time. No one in their right mind will be buying a used 2080Ti on the forums here for a $1000. I already see several popping up. Fat chance people are going to get anywhere near a $1000.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7470...-geforce-rtx-3090-3080-3070-models/index.html

found this article. Looks like the 3070 is going to have 2080Ti level performance for $600. If this is true, the 2080Ti is instantly de-valued big time. No one in their right mind will be buying a used 2080Ti on the forums here for a $1000. I already see several popping up. Fat chance people are going to get anywhere near a $1000.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7470...-geforce-rtx-3090-3080-3070-models/index.html
2080 non-ti raster performance would be a bit more realistic. Possibly on par with the 2080ti for RT performance.

I think expecting the 3070 to match the 2080ti is a bit overly optimistic.

Nvidia is not thinking about the 2080ti or any of the previous skews. They have one thought not to lose top to bottom. If they have to go big so be it. They know the people that paid outrageous 2080ti prices are more likely to buy a 30 series replacement if the increase in performance is enough. You just don't stop over spending after one generation.

If the 3080 is going to be 20-30% faster than 2080ti, why wouldn't the 3070 land right on top of 2080ti performance? Makes complete sense to me.
I think 3080 will beat 2080Ti, but 3070 will not. That said, an AIB triple-fan 3070 max OC'd could very well come within spitting distance of stock 2080Ti -- that wouldn't be as surprising.

Last edited:
the 1070 did that unless im misunderstanding you
You're right, but the generational/performance leap that Pascal brought felt more once-in-a-lifetime than anything. Ampere doesn't feel quite the same; I'd be surprised if we saw a repeat of it.

Trying to decide what card I should get and when. I don't want a FE, so I guess I'll have to wait until October for an after market card. My Evga 2080 Super Ultra's auction on ebay will end Thursday night. I say 3080. How about you?

Nvidia top tier owners usually get screwed on resale unless they take a blind leap and unload their gpu before rumors & confirmations....but then your stuck with a hampster wheel gpu for three months or more if the gamble goes wrong.

The thing about all these rumors that doesn't add up: Running 2080 Ti on 2080 Super memory bandwidth. That implies quite an improvement in Ampere's memory compression, TO YIELD A 50% performance increase!

Without better compression, you woud still be 25% behind the 2080 Ti badnwidth

If we already have that, then why do we need GDDR6X here? Compared to 11GB RTX 2080 Ti, the theoretical memory bandwidth from a full 12GB of.16 Gbps memory is 25% higher.
that should be enough to handle the rest of that performance increase (after the compression improvements).

Is this going to turn into another pointlessly abandoned memory tech, like GDDR5X on the1070 Ti? DID the 1080 Ti EVEN NEED GDDR5X, then?

By the time we have a new arch, this shit will have bee n replaced by GDDR7, so why the fuck are we wasting all that money AGAIN?

Last edited:
Imagine performance with 3090 Ti on games. I am hooked like after coke guys :O wow:geek:

Agreed. Nvidia will not cannibalize 2080Ti that hard under any circumstances.

I don't think Nvidia cares about 2080Ti anymore. It did its purpose.
2080Ti nearly doubled the *real* price compared to 1080Ti. That price is here to stay.
So it's a win-win scenario for Nvidia, even if 3060 turns out to be faster than 2080Ti. So us, customers lost thanks to no competition for the last gen.

Back