RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Well if that rumor is true, AMD will be crushing them. Nvidia killer rumor maybe not so far fetched hmmmmm ;)

Well if that rumor is true, AMD will be crushing them. Nvidia killer rumor maybe not so far fetched hmmmmm ;)
1584063164438.png

Well if AMD doubles 5700 cores to 5120 you would get something about 20% faster than a 2080 Ti. A 3080 Ti that struggles to hit 40% faster than 2080 Ti would only be about 15-20% faster than flagship Navi 2X. If the price difference is substantial than it really could be an Nvidia killer. However even if the performance gaps turn out to be the case, AMD pricing moves under Lisa Su's tenure seems to incicate they are more comfortable with pricing parity with Nvidia rather than underpricing them.

Well if AMD doubles 5700 cores to 5120 you would get something about 20% faster than a 2080 Ti. A 3080 Ti that struggles to hit 40% faster than 2080 Ti would only be about 15-20% faster than flagship Navi 2X. If the price difference is substantial than it really could be an Nvidia killer.
They have to have the bandwidth to keep up too -- and they have to add ray tracing hardware. That leads to such a GPU being expensive for AMD to produce.

However even if the performance gaps turn out to be the case, AMD pricing moves under Lisa Su's tenure seems to incicate they are more comfortable with pricing parity with Nvidia rather than underpricing them.
Pricing significantly under Nvidia is a no-win; they'd essentially have to have an architecture (and drivers!) that was so much more efficient than Nvidia that they could price lower than Nvidia is willing to go while having enough supply. They're unlikely to be more efficient, but even if they are, if they price low and don't have supply, then retailers will mark up and AMD will miss that revenue. They're better off trying to get close to Nvidia price / performance until / if ever they produce a significantly superior architecture.

They have to have the bandwidth to keep up too -- and they have to add ray tracing hardware. That leads to such a GPU being expensive for AMD to produce.

Pricing significantly under Nvidia is a no-win; they'd essentially have to have an architecture (and drivers!) that was so much more efficient than Nvidia that they could price lower than Nvidia is willing to go while having enough supply. They're unlikely to be more efficient, but even if they are, if they price low and don't have supply, then retailers will mark up and AMD will miss that revenue. They're better off trying to get close to Nvidia price / performance until / if ever they produce a significantly superior architecture.
I would not bother with the raytracing stuff yet. I hope they have separate cards if they do. I find it worthless right now, though that is just my opinion.

Yep, Ray Tracing is worthless for buyers like me who use GPUs for Distributed Computing work.

I would not bother with the raytracing stuff yet. I hope they have separate cards if they do. I find it worthless right now, though that is just my opinion.

Absolutely zero chance of the next gen having separate RT and non-RT high end card lineups.

Where did that thought come from? Honestly curious.

I would not bother with the raytracing stuff yet.
AMD hasn't, so far.

I hope they have separate cards if they do.
This isn't remotely feasible.

I find it worthless right now, though that is just my opinion.
I don't own an RTX GPU, so I guess I can say the same thing -- however, AMD feels (along with both Sony and Microsoft) that it's important to include in the next console generation, and is planning to put it in their GPUs. Nvidia will almost certainly have it in every GPU in their lineup as well.

Yep, Ray Tracing is worthless for buyers like me who use GPUs for Distributed Computing work.
We're probably going to see more divergence between compute workloads and 'graphics' workloads, and for that divergence to carry over to hardware design.

You'll probably want to more closely evaluate the hardware that is most appropriate for your workloads.

Absolutely zero chance of the next gen having separate RT and non-RT high end card lineups.

I expect that people are thinking about PhysX. The basic idea is sound, and it is possible, but the magnitude of work necessary for ray tracing makes physics processing requirements look like a rounding error.

Because I do not want to pay for it like on Nvidia.

Because I do not want to pay for it like on Nvidia.

The only thing you’re paying for on Nvidia is lack of competition. New advanced features are added to GPUs all the time and often go unused for years.

I bet you also complain about paying for all of those extra HDMI ports on the card and 6GB of VRAM when you only ever use 5.5.
Nope, never complained about those. Extra ports can be used. No idea how much memory I use.
RTX, I would not use. Even more so since I do not play 2D games anymore. Yuck!

Nope, never complained about those. Extra ports can be used. No idea how much memory I use.
RTX, I would not use. Even more so since I do not play 2D games anymore. Yuck!

Is there something inherently wrong with RTX that you are against? If you had a card that could do it, and game that had it, you still would not use it? Why?

Is there something inherently wrong with RTX that you are against? If you had a card that could do it, and game that had it, you still would not use it? Why?
From what I read it works good at 1080p. I run 1440p 144hz. Also I am 50 and my eyes are not the best, so a little shadow or something when I am being shot at is not going to catch my eye. Now if I played a game where there is zero action, then maybe.

LOL..I swear man some shit i read is pretty funny:

"Ray Tracing sucks man, i don't want it!"
"Have you tried it?"
"No but I ran some demos on a non-RT card"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL..I swear man some shit i read is pretty funny:

"Ray Tracing sucks man, i don't want it!"
"Have you tried it?"
"No but I ran some demos on a non-RT card"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So you do not have the ability to watch videos and try it for yourself on a non rtx card, and make a decision?
Ouch.

Imagine judging RT on a non-RT card and grainy YT videos.
I saw very clear videos and the non rt card worked fine. It let me see the visuals. I do not run 1080p at 60hz. So it's not for me anyways.
I do not usually play slowed paces game or ones with no action, so not a huge deal.

I saw very clear videos and the non rt card worked fine. It let me see the visuals. I do not run 1080p at 60hz. So it's not for me anyways.
I do not usually play slowed paces game or ones with no action, so not a huge deal.
Popping your bubble! It works well even at 4k especially when using dlss. You're wildly speculating and regurgitating clueless youtubers.

Popping your bubble! It works well even at 4k especially when using dlss. You're wildly speculating and regurgitating clueless youtubers.

DLSS 2.0 is available in only 2 games as of now:

Wolfenstein YoungBlood
Deliver Us The Moon

Control has a custom DLSS implementation

In all other games 1800p upsampling is as good as DLSS for all practical purposes

DLSS 2.0 is available in only 2 games as of now:

Wolfenstein YoungBlood
Deliver Us The Moon

Control has a custom DLSS implementation

In all other games 1800p upsampling is as good as DLSS for all practical purposes
You got my point ;) . Dlss and raytracing are only going to become ubiquitous as time goes on. Dlss is not a requirement for ray tracing but it is a nice boost clearly once it takes off.

You got my point ;) . Dlss and raytracing are only going to become ubiquitous as time goes on. Dlss is not a requirement for ray tracing but it is a nice boost clearly once it takes off.
So basically it's not worth it now. Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Ray Tracing HW, on new generation cards, will be fact of life going forward, so complaining about it is a waste of time. Feel free to not use it, but you are going to pay for unless you stop buying new GPUs going forward.
Not really a waste of time. It helps, like therapy. :)

I will not need a new GPU for a while, so no big deal.

Not really a waste of time. It helps, like therapy. :)

I will not need a new GPU for a while, so no big deal.

It's a waste of our time, and really off topic in this thread. We know 3000 series will have RT HW as will AMD RDNA competitors.

It's a waste of our time, and really off topic in this thread. We know 3000 series will have RT HW as will AMD RDNA competitors.
You are the one wasting your time. ;)

Also on topic, do you guys think that the next gen should be able to handle 1440p with RTX on? Given that maybe a 25% boost?

Back