Votes: 39 39.4%
  • AIB (triple-fan, etc.)

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • Other (water cooling, etc.)

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters

MavericK

Zero Cool
Just curious - are you in for the Founder's Edition push-pull cooler, or the standard AIB triple-fan setups?

The new cooler sounds interesting but I wonder how it will perform as opposed to tried-and-true triple-fan designs.

always AIB...I've been going with Gigabyte G1 Gaming triple fan for my last few GPU purchases and plan to again with Ampere...but the Ampere Founder's Edition looks sexy as hell with some interesting cooling...

I want to see what the temp difference is between AIB and Founders 3090. The FE actually looks really interesting this time around and wouldn't mind snagging one of them if AIB isn't insanely better price/cooling wise.

Going AIB for sure, if AMD doesnt have anything to wow me, MSI gaming X trio card 3090.

Well if I can get one I want founders as I will get a waterblock for it anyhow.. Hopefully Corsair releases one soon or I may go with EVGA and their hydrocopper model.

Will buy Founder's for waterblock compatibility. The new cooler design is certainly interesting and I'm excited to see how well it performs, but I know my MO-RA3 can perform better.

I typically buy triple fan cards but this may be the exception.
If the cooling as tested in-house by Nvidia (due to fin design) proves better, the founders is what I'll get.
It looks to be pulling air in, passing it over the hot components and fins...then sucking it out for dispersal by case fans.
The case fans will need to move quite a bit of air...and fast.
It does look very interesting in the layout.

I typically buy triple fan cards but this may be the exception.
If the cooling as tested in-house by Nvidia (due to fin design) proves better, the founders is what I'll get.
It looks to be pulling air in, passing it over the hot components and fins...then sucking it out for dispersal by case fans.
The case fans will need to move quite a bit of air...and fast.
It does look very interesting in the layout.

Set targeted case fans to static % and see how your build runs 30-40-50%, in what combo of fans, etc for a given game or workload.
I like this type of stuff.
It would be nice for mobo fan software to be able to target hot zones with more granularity in restricted cases.

Like madpistol says, whatever I can get first (and without paying scalpers).
But I am a little concerned about the back(?)/interior(?) FE card fan essentially exhausting air straight up into the intake of the CPU heatsink.

Like madpistol says, whatever I can get first (and without paying scalpers).
But I am a little concerned about the back(?)/interior(?) FE card fan essentially exhausting air straight up into the intake of the CPU heatsink.

If you don't have a blower card this is already happening. In fact, from their presentation it looks like they are exhausting quite a bit of air through the back, so might not dump that much heat inside the case compared to the current high wattage non blower cards that literally dump everything inside your case.

Last edited:
If you don't have a blower card this is already happening.

Well, more typically it's blowing air onto the card from the bottom, so it's hard to say how much of it is going up into the CPU. Though if you are exhausting out the top-rear and/or top of the case, then all of that air probably still goes by the CPU cooler.

Well, more typically it's blowing air onto the card from the bottom, so it's hard to say how much of it is going up into the CPU. Though if you are exhausting out the top-rear and/or top of the case, then all of that air probably still goes by the CPU cooler.

Yea the airflow will be more "focused" here, which doesn't sound bad to me as it would be less heat for motherboard components and my CPU cooler has plenty of spare cooling capacity.

For a 3080, the FE model seems advantageous.

It's relatively compact, and just two slots.

Also if it works as advertised:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16060/20200901172854.jpg

Then the card is half blower, meaning one fan is exhausting heat right out of the case.

The other fan is pushing it toward the CPU fan where it can get exhuasted quickly.

This design is Win-Win on paper. We will have to see how it works out in practice.

For the 3090, FE might have similar airflow advantages, but it's still a triple slot monster, so not as advantageous as the 3080.

I was just about to post an identical topic. The FE 3090 intrigues me, very curious how thermals and noise play out. It intrigues me enough to wait for reviews. I like the idea of the push pull setup since my CPU is on water and the GPUs exhaust would be feeding right into my 140mm exhaust fan.

I'm leaning towards the FE edition for the 3080 but will probably get whatever is cheapest and available at launch between MSI, EVGA and the FE. Not really sure if I like the MSI designs though.

I was going to get the FE but idk. Seem like they are going to be a bitch to take apart to slap a water block on.

I plan on getting a good AIB with lots of power delivery and high OoB clocks, but then slap a good block on it and toss it into a new loop

I plan on getting a good AIB with lots of power delivery and high OoB clocks, but then slap a good block on it and toss it into a new loop
Then you should be getting a FE then if that is your plan. Nvidia like to save the best bin chips for themselves. The only thing I want too know is how hard the FE cooler will be to take off. Looks like it will be a bitch.

Anyone know anything about the 3070 FE setup?

Looks like it's also a blow out/ blow thru design but with both fans on the same side..

geforce-rtx-3070-product-gallery-full-screen-3840-1.jpg geforce-rtx-3070-product-gallery-full-screen-3840-3.jpg

I plan to get an FE card with the idea of eventually putting a water block on it to tie into my custom loop that I am working on for my new build.

I am also interested to see how well the FE cooler works. I was never a big fan of the big triple fan coolers because they just blow the hot air around in the case without a clear path. My current card, a 1080 FE, is a blower style and I like that is exhausts the hot air outside the case. If only it was quieter.

Lastly, the power configuration on the FE cards with the 18-20 power chokes should perform quite well and be pretty top notch.

Anyone know anything about the 3070 FE setup?

Looks like it's also a blow out/ blow thru design but with both fans on the same side..

View attachment 275731 View attachment 275732

I was looking for the same info, found nothing. But it does look like the same concept. Half blower and half blow-through.

I note that it still has the 12 pin power connector, though it says it only needs one 8 pin.

Reactions: Auer
like this
2080 Super was my first FE card, and the build quality impressed me far beyond any of the AIB cards I've had in the past.

3080 FE is my plan, and eventually slap a waterblock on it.

Hard to say without legitimate reviews. Nvidia reference looks like a good cooling solution maybe with some issues with where that heat goes through your case depending upon configuration. Initially I would go with Nvidia FE, I may pick up a 3080 while waiting to see if AMD has anything better, then pick up one of theirs. Could always sell the 3080 later if need be.

Then you should be getting a FE then if that is your plan. Nvidia like to save the best bin chips for themselves. The only thing I want too know is how hard the FE cooler will be to take off. Looks like it will be a bitch.

Is it true that the FE cards will be better binned than Tier 1 or Tier 2 AIB cards? I thought AIBs pay Nvidia more for top-binned chips for things like the Lightning, Kingpin, HOF, etc.

I really like how the Founders Edition looks, but will probably go with an EVGA XC3 or FTW3 since I've been happy with their coolers performance the past few years. Yea I know they are ugly but I don't look in my case much anyways.

I would really like to go with EVGA if I can....

(Between video cards and power supplies, they've treated me VERY well warranty-wise)

I really like how the Founders Edition looks, but will probably go with an EVGA XC3 or FTW3 since I've been happy with their coolers performance the past few years. Yea I know they are ugly but I don't look in my case much anyways.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I like my 1080 Ti SC Black looks, many folks do not and I was surprised when I found out people thought it was ugly. One of my favorite looking cards of all time is the Vega FE, the blue anodized metal box is awesome! Talking about plain. Now the 3080 FE is growing on me because of the more industrial functional look.

I'll wait to see if HWU or GN finds aib cooler issues, thermal pad contact issues, etc attention to detail misses.

If I'm going to spend, I'll want to see what the best in class options will be.

I can't imagine the 30x0 gpus are going to be in ready supply when I find it convenient for me to buy.

I am sure the FE cooler will work great, but there is no going around the fact that the heat removed will degrade performance of all the other components on the motherboard. A nice AIO akin to the 295x2 seems the best solution.

I am sure the FE cooler will work great, but there is no going around the fact that the heat removed will degrade performance of all the other components on the motherboard. A nice AIO akin to the 295x2 seems the best solution.
We literally know nothing about the amount of heat that comes out of that fan, and how much of it actually hits the MB. So hardly a fact, yet.
I can guess, that the majority of the heat will be dumped out of the case by the exhaust fan. But as I said, no direct knowledge, yet.

In my case, there are two 140's up front, a 120 in the back on the AIO CPU cooler rad, 2 140's on top and a 120 on the bottom.

So unless the GPU fan blows a fair amount of HOT air on the MB I am personally not overly concerned about heat degradation, yet...

Sidenote: On a MITX build like mine, I think that rear fan might miss a good portion of the MB, but have no measurements of that.

Is it true that the FE cards will be better binned than Tier 1 or Tier 2 AIB cards? I thought AIBs pay Nvidia more for top-binned chips for things like the Lightning, Kingpin, HOF, etc.
People got better results oc with FE then any other with the 2xxx series.

Well then.

Not that I don't trust you, but is anyone else willing to back up this claim?
Im pretty sure that was the case with Pascal and the first 6 months or so of Turing. They stopped doing this in may 2019. The FE was great for mild OC out of the box with a water block but on air no way. FEs never out clocked XOC cards. FEs never had the power delivery to push the clocks that far.

Back