RT-AC68U clone $59 - use code WIFI40 - T-Mobile.com

I had the same issues as everyone else. Mine came with firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3108 and I couldn't enable SSH or telnet using F12 (javascript). I tried the Asus Utility, but the connection always timed out and said the router wasn't in recovery mode (even though it was). For the Mini CFE Gui, holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds while powering up didn't have the slow flashing LED indication, but the recovery web gui still popped up after refreshing the ip a few times in chrome. From there I was able to downgrade to 376.1703 and start bootymonger's guide. If the web gui didn't pop up, the next step would have been to try tftp or let it auto update to the latest firmware to enable ssh.

Yeah, I flashed as second one of these for a co-worker and had similar issues as you - it wouldn't "appear" to go into recovery mode, but no LED flashing and the Asus utility would not work. I did manage to get to the mini-CFE web interface pretty easily, though, and proceed with the rest of the steps just fine.

After flashing the new CFE, though, it started doing the LED flashing recovery mode just fine. Weird.

Seems like there is a fair amount of variation in what you might get with these. Luckily there seems to always be a way to flash it. ;)

I had the same issues as everyone else. Mine came with firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3108 and I couldn't enable SSH or telnet using F12 (javascript). I tried the Asus Utility, but the connection always timed out and said the router wasn't in recovery mode (even though it was). For the Mini CFE Gui, holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds while powering up didn't have the slow flashing LED indication, but the recovery web gui still popped up after refreshing the ip a few times in chrome. From there I was able to downgrade to 376.1703 and start bootymonger's guide. If the web gui didn't pop up, the next step would have been to try tftp or let it auto update to the latest firmware to enable ssh.

It should be noted that you don't need to downgrade the T-Mobile firmware from the recovery CFE, the regular web interface will work for that just fine. The only time you need that is when flashing the ASUS firmware on a unit with the T-Mobile firmware (after you've modified the CFE).

It should be noted that you don't need to downgrade the T-Mobile firmware from the recovery CFE, the regular web interface will work for that just fine. The only time you need that is when flashing the ASUS firmware on a unit with the T-Mobile firmware (after you've modified the CFE).

3108 can not be html spammed to enable telnet, nor does i have ssh. You either have to downgrade to enable telnet, or upgrade to enable ssh. 3108 is a special snowflake when it comes to flashing these things.

3108 can not be html spammed to enable telnet, nor does i have ssh. You either have to downgrade to enable telnet, or upgrade to enable ssh. 3108 is a special snowflake when it comes to flashing these things.

It should be noted that most are shipping with 3108 now.

You're saying when you log into the router normally, you can load the (tm-ac1900) 1703 firmware? That would have been easier to start off the guide when the ssh option is missing.

You're saying when you log into the router normally, you can load the (tm-ac1900) 1703 firmware? That would have been easier to start off the guide when the ssh option is missing.

Right! You can either downgrade to the 376.1703 to get the telnet option to appear -OR- upgrade to the latest firmware to get the SSH option and capability. My point was you can do either of these from the main web interface, the firmware doesn't care as long as it's another T-Mobile firmware that's being flashed. (I chose to upgrade and use SSH since I already have PuTTY installed on my system for logging into my web servers and stuff) Then you can login via SSH, get the CFE, mod it, reflash it via SSH, and THEN you can do your fighting trying to get the mini-CFE recovery mode webpage to show up. Why do that twice when it's not necessary... :D

Thank you for being the only one to actually pick up on what I was trying to say. :)

Is anyone running one right out of the box ? I'm curious as to the performance with the stock firmware.

Mine will delivered to me today in Mexico, and I'm not sure if I should try and flash it or not.

I'm waiting for mine to come in, too.
Given that you can flash to an older firmware with no real difficulty, there's no reason to not try it out. (Just unplug the internet before you try to change to another firmware)

Is anyone running one right out of the box ? I'm curious as to the performance with the stock firmware.

Mine will delivered to me today in Mexico, and I'm not sure if I should try and flash it or not.

I used it for 5 min out of the box. Compared to the my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, It does the same thing on stock. It took me 45 min to flash it to stock ASUS. Pretty easy and fast if you use that bootymonger post from SD.

Keep in mind, this way of flashing requires an ethernet port to your pc/laptop at one point. I did it on WIN10.

I have one on order....cant wait to see what I can do with it. I already have the ac66U, but figured why the hell not add the 68u.

I have one on order....cant wait to see what I can do with it. I already have the ac66U, but figured why the hell not add the 68u.

I have an AC66U and the wireless range on these 68s is much better.

I used it for 5 min out of the box. Compared to the my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, It does the same thing on stock. It took me 45 min to flash it to stock ASUS. Pretty easy and fast if you use that bootymonger post from SD.

Keep in mind, this way of flashing requires an ethernet port to your pc/laptop at one point. I did it on WIN10.

Thats part of the issue, I'm in Mexico and do not have access to a laptop with an ethernet port ...I bought this router with the intention of flashing it and using it at home, but I'm in Mexico until spring, and the router that the ISP down here provides is a joke.(TP-Link) ....http://www.tplink.com/ie/products/details/?model=TL-WR340G

I lose signal like 50 feet away from it and it locks up at least twice a day....I unable to buy a decent router here unless I want to spend a fortune..so I had the girlfriend Fed Ex this one down to me. If it works halfway decent stock, I'll just run it that way until I get back home .

I lose signal like 50 feet away from it and it locks up at least twice a day....I unable to buy a decent router here unless I want to spend a fortune..so I had the girlfriend Fed Ex this one down to me. If it works halfway decent stock, I'll just run it that way until I get back home .

From what I saw the stock firmware wasn't bad at all, really isn't all that different or gimped from the ASUS at first glance. It's just been tuned by default to favor wifi calling. :)

From what I saw the stock firmware wasn't bad at all, really isn't all that different or gimped from the ASUS at first glance. It's just been tuned by default to favor wifi calling. :)

Thanks, Thats good to hear...... I should be OK with it until I get home again ..its not like we have any blazing speeds here anyway...I just want good wifi range .:)

Got mine CFE'd and Merlin'd and deployed as AP2 at home, my first AP is my old AC66R. Gotta say these are a great affordable AC AP solution! I'm normally a fan of UBNT for cheap AP's, and Ruckus for $$$ AP's, but at $59 plus some time getting the transition done...these are solid.

I did have an issue accessing restore mode initially...but got it handled once I found holding the reset button and getting to the MiniServer webGUI, uploading 1703, enabling SSH, using Putty for the CLI stuff...then had to install Tomato VPN firmware to be able to install a legacy AsusWRT 376 firmware that has some coding to allow for larger firmware sizes then finally to Merlin.

Works amazingly well thus far. Though I'm debating underclocking it...the CPU runs in the low 70s C, and is not being utilized when in AP mode.

Absolutely worth the amazing price...I'm debating picking up another to have as a spare. Wish it was a lot smaller so I could make it my travel router... I digress for $60 beggars can't be choosers and overall I'm extremely content!

It'll never replace my PFSense router, but as an AP its solid. For users looking for a good and affordable SoHo solution, this is it right now!

I ordered two of there and flashed one to merlin yesterday. Will try to get to flashing the second AC1900.

I was not a huge fan of Merlin and run the stock Asus firmware now. With the Merlin firmware the CPU graph looked like it had spikes for no particular reason. With stock firmware the CPU graph sits near zero consistently.

Also Merlin is currently behind the current ASUS patch level (3.0.0.4.380.4118) if that matters to anyone. This is newer stock firmware from what you can download from ASUS's website, it can be downloaded from the router UI.

I have one AC68U running as router with wireless disabled in my basement, and a second AC68U is acting as a wireless AP on my first floor. After getting two of these, I then went all the way and redid my home wiring with CAT6 jacks in a few rooms and a patch panel in my basement.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Thank you to this great community for uncovering this deal and enabling a little hacking to make it a fun purchase as well as economical one.

What is the consensus as to what is the easiest way to get the stock Asus firmware on it? I will be using it as an AP with my RT-N66U in the basement doing routing (the Dark Knight is running Tomato).

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Thank you to this great community for uncovering this deal and enabling a little hacking to make it a fun purchase as well as economical one.

What is the consensus as to what is the easiest way to get the stock Asus firmware on it? I will be using it as an AP with my RT-N66U in the basement doing routing (the Dark Knight is running Tomato).

Use the bootymonger guide. Piece of cake. Make sure you have an ethernet port

I will be using it as an AP with my RT-N66U in the basement doing routing (the Dark Knight is running Tomato).
You should switch that around. This router is a dual-corer 800mhz (OCable to 1000). The 66U is a single core.

I would like to. Unfortunately, the router needs to be located in the basement. The 'router' needs to be in the basement because of the connections I have down there. I need the AP up stairs in the central location and I want to take advantage of the AC wireless speed there.

I would like to. Unfortunately, the router needs to be located in the basement. The 'router' needs to be in the basement because of the connections I have down there. I need the AP up stairs in the central location and I want to take advantage of the AC wireless speed there.
grab two!

That's really good to hear! I haven't done any range tests yet to compare with my old TP-Link WDR3600... if the range really is much better I might just stay with a single unit central in the house instead of using a second one as an access point. I wonder if a set of bigger antennas would help things out any.... hmmmmm.....

This is a great illustration of what happens when you attach a "high gain" antenna. Higher gain = higher directivity. It will go farther, but in a more focused pattern. So you lose overall coverage footprint but can get more signal at a specific point, if that makes sense.

f91d294dc6e07a5b9a4bbc79e0456586fdcd549a.png

Seriously thinking about getting a 2nd. Just wanted to get the flashing process down on one first. :)

Seriously thinking about getting a 2nd. Just wanted to get the flashing process down on one first. :)
exactly what I did, after following the original guide and not having much luck i followed the other post and it was easier, granted i had already performed the tmobile firmware downgrade to get Telnet/ssh on, but once i was at that stage and finally had all of the correct pieces of software downloaded I will be doing it again to a second one i just recieved yesterday.

This is a great illustration of what happens when you attach a "high gain" antenna. Higher gain = higher directivity. It will go farther, but in a more focused pattern. So you lose overall coverage footprint but can get more signal at a specific point, if that makes sense.

That illustration is talking about a high gain directional antenna, not a high gain omni-directional antenna.

Borrowed from some other site, but this is probably a better representation of what getting higher gain OMNIDIRECTIONAL antennas does do your coverage:

HTB1tIhOIXXXXXcEXpXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

This can be advantageous if you're wanting a bit more range on a horizontal plane... like a single story house / building.

The RT-AC68U comes with 3dbi gain antennas IIRC, so it could be fun to experiment. And that's if I'm not satisfied with the range of the stock antennas, I still haven't had a chance to test out in the far reaches of the back yard next to the pool. :D

That illustration is talking about a high gain directional antenna, not a high gain omni-directional antenna.

Borrowed from some other site, but this is probably a better representation of what getting higher gain OMNIDIRECTIONAL antennas does do your coverage:

View attachment 12085

This can be advantageous if you're wanting a bit more range on a horizontal plane... like a single story house / building.

The RT-AC68U comes with 3dbi gain antennas IIRC, so it could be fun to experiment. And that's if I'm not satisfied with the range of the stock antennas, I still haven't had a chance to test out in the far reaches of the back yard next to the pool. :D

Not to be pedantic, but if you have more gain, your beamwidth decreases, thus "narrowing" your coverage area. I don't think that image really conflicts with what I posted, looks like an elevation pattern as opposed to azimuthal. As you begin to have higher gain, you lose the omnidirectional pattern and become more directed by nature.

SOOOOO I followed bootmonger's instructions and it seemed to work fine. See attached screen shot. I cannot get b/g protection to turn off and my clients are connecting at around 54 mbps speed. I can uncheck it but when I hit apply and the screen refreshes it comes back. Any hints?? Tried a reboot too but still not going away.

Attachments

• bgprotection.JPG
    bgprotection.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
SOOOOO I followed bootmonger's instructions and it seemed to work fine. See attached screen shot. I cannot get b/g protection to turn off and my clients are connecting at around 54 mbps speed. I can uncheck it but when I hit apply and the screen refreshes it comes back. Any hints?? Tried a reboot too but still not going away.

EDIT: I just tried it on mine and the setting is applied successfully, so I dunno. But it should be noted that I'm running Merlin 380.63_beta2.

EDIT AGAIN: Just noticed a mention of this bug in an earlier version of Merlin, so perhaps it's one that originally carried over from the original ASUS builds?

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/issues/986

Last edited:
Also note I had the router do an automatic firmware upgrade after I got the firmware in bootymongers guide installed. I will try to downgrade back to that.

EDIT: POOP Downgrades not allowed by Asus.

I have b/g protection on and I am connected at 144 right now. Might be something else slowing you down.

This setting should only affect you if you have a b client: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2027121 (scroll down a bit)

Speaking of Wi-Fi speeds...I seem to only be able to connect at 300 Mbps dual-band, even with manually setting channel BW to 80 MHz / 40 MHz (for 5 and 2.4 GHz respectively) and allowing only AC/N and N connections.

Is there any way to force an AC card to connect at AC speeds?

Speaking of Wi-Fi speeds...I seem to only be able to connect at 300 Mbps dual-band, even with manually setting channel BW to 80 MHz / 40 MHz (for 5 and 2.4 GHz respectively) and allowing only AC/N and N connections.

Is there any way to force an AC card to connect at AC speeds?

The fastest my new smart TV can connect is 300 which is the N max. My iPhone can connect at 866 AC if I stand right by the router, maybe it's a client issue on your AC device using N?

The fastest my new smart TV can connect is 300 which is the N max. My iPhone can connect at 866 AC if I stand right by the router, maybe it's a client issue on your AC device using N?

Possibly. I think I got it to connect at the 866 speed once, but since then I haven't been able to. It's an Intel 7260 AC card.

Right! You can either downgrade to the 376.1703 to get the telnet option to appear -OR- upgrade to the latest firmware to get the SSH option and capability. My point was you can do either of these from the main web interface, the firmware doesn't care as long as it's another T-Mobile firmware that's being flashed. (I chose to upgrade and use SSH since I already have PuTTY installed on my system for logging into my web servers and stuff) Then you can login via SSH, get the CFE, mod it, reflash it via SSH, and THEN you can do your fighting trying to get the mini-CFE recovery mode webpage to show up. Why do that twice when it's not necessary... :D

Thank you for being the only one to actually pick up on what I was trying to say. :)
Do you have a link to the upgraded T-Mobile firmware to enable SSH? Does 1703 have SSH, if so I would just like to get that one.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the upgraded T-Mobile firmware to enable SSH? Does 1703 have SSH, if so I would just like to get that one.

Just plug it in and go through the setup, it will upgrade to the SSH enabled version.

1703 won't do it.

As Ocellaris said above, just connect it to the internet, go to the firmware upgrade page, and click the 'Check for updates' link. It will update to the latest T-Mobile branded firmware that has the SSH option. :)

Just plug it in and go through the setup, it will upgrade to the SSH enabled version.

1703 won't do it.
The first one i did i downgraded to 1703 and i believe SSH and telnet were an option, either way telnet will do what you need to. The one i recieved yesterday had a newer one on and couldnt even get to the recovery mode to use the software, so I just upgraded to the newest tmobile firmware and it has the SSH option and went from there. Seems so much easier now after following the better guide

Back