• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen, anyone else interested?

Watched the stream. It looks like a less fantasy based and more medieval Gothic 3. Ugh. Not sure if I'm interested in that. The engine G3 was made on seems a lil too bleh for a $40 game.

Maybe when the price goes down to bargain bin.
 
What the heck Steam?? Says its available, but you cant download it? Argh!:mad:
 
Watched the stream. It looks like a less fantasy based and more medieval Gothic 3. Ugh. Not sure if I'm interested in that. The engine G3 was made on seems a lil too bleh for a $40 game.

Maybe when the price goes down to bargain bin.

The world is more tropical/island setting now though the armour and clothing is more Gothic style.

The engine I'm not sure if it's the same as in Gothic III. In this game it looks different (better), especially the lighting and foilage along with ambient effects like Fog which look awesome.
 
I am in love with this game right now!

Its not that it does something super extraordinary or anything but it is just coming together so nicely.

To me what stands out right now is

1. Sense of exploration - you are constantly being rewarded for exploring your surroundings, looting stuff.
2. A sense of danger. I must have died a dozen times wandering in over my head, strugling but eventually succeeding.
3. Compulsively going forward to become stronger so I can return to areas I was previously too weak for.







 
Yeah I agree, the game is amazing. Great atmosphere, and much, much better than Gothic 3. Combat is dangerous if you're not careful, tons of quests with different ways to complete them, real choice & consequence, and the NPC's have meaningful dialogue.

To me, this is what Oblivion should have been.
 
Which audio setting is connected to audience cheers/advice during battle? I would like to turn it off since it is so annoying.
 
Gothic 2 and gothic nor are my favorite single player RPG's, so i'm dying for the download to finish. Can't wait to play it tomorrow after some pathfinder gaming.

OMG just finished reading the manual, an honest to goodness RPG manual. No hand holding, no giant X's, no master of all, i love you pirhana bytes, and cd projeck, and the rest of your european developers for smart, intellegent, pc based RPG's.


the game is pretty, hardware calibrated 2490ftw.:)
 
Last edited:
Does Risen have terrible dynamic battle music like Gothic 3? No option to turn it off was so annoying and the regular background music was good - having to turn all music off was unfortunate. :(
 
Hmm, do I want to become a level 2 pickpocket or spend those skills points elsewhere? Decisions, decisions, decisions...
 
I just went through the demo and i have to say this is the TRUE! successor to Gothic 2.

I am glad PB went back to a proven formula with Risen as i felt Gothic 3 (even though i liked it) didn't live up to the name.
 
I love that this game does not hold your hand and your choices have consequences.



 
if's it anything like gothic 2. skinning is pretty good at the begining and gets you money.

There's just so many choices to make. I think I'm going to take just about all non-combat skills and create a merchant/thief character wielding a two handed sword. :)

Also, has anyone found that doing the Don quests in the beginning are much more profitable than doing the Order quests? I wanted to join neither faction to exploit them both for the beginning part of the game, but it would be hard to do when you only need four quests to join a faction.
 
Sounds like a case of The Witcher to me. The PC RPG old guard enthusiasts will probably love it (you know, the same people who like EVE Online) but for everybody else it will be extraordinarily tedious, stodgy and boring.
 
Sounds like a case of The Witcher to me. The PC RPG old guard enthusiasts will probably love it (you know, the same people who like EVE Online) but for everybody else it will be extraordinarily tedious, stodgy and boring.

Preconcieved notions FTW!
 
those graphics look like 2003...the place looks deserted...where are the people to interact with?
 
2003? They look a lot newer then that to me, espeically the higher res textures and the detail in the effects like Fog and lighting, etc.+ There are plenty of people to interact with in towns, etc. The wilderness is just you know..not a crowded place.

Sounds like a case of The Witcher to me. The PC RPG old guard enthusiasts will probably love it (you know, the same people who like EVE Online) but for everybody else it will be extraordinarily tedious, stodgy and boring.

I hated EVe and loved the Witcher, there's a reason it got many pc rpg of the year awards and such high ratings.
 
Watched the stream. It looks like a less fantasy based and more medieval Gothic 3. Ugh. Not sure if I'm interested in that. The engine G3 was made on seems a lil too bleh for a $40 game.

Maybe when the price goes down to bargain bin.

people are saying it has some of the best lighting this side of crysis. the ssao implementation is supposed to be as good as crysis's. gothic 3 was either built on an older engine version, or Risen is built on a seperate platform. New is FP16 HDR, SSAO, DOF (working), and more.

anyways, I just got it, will check it out in a bit. I've heard its like Morrowind or Gothic 2. Of course reviewers are going to pan it. They don't want to take the time to actually play the game.

The eurogamer review has about 215 comments blasting it. The reviewer got several things wrong, and reviewed the outsourced xbox 360 port. That'd be like comparing a Wii version of a game to a Xbox 360 version. This game runs ~ 30fps on a high end rig with everything maxed (and xbox is several times less capable on the graphics side alone). It was obviously built for PC (yay!)
 
those graphics look like 2003...the place looks deserted...where are the people to interact with?

Nice trolling there. How about you try the demo? and then compare to any game from 2003.

Well it seems pretty clear now that the XBOX 360 is a very bad port, but the PC version is great. The thing is though, the game is pretty hard at first. In combat you start out really weak so you die often. This is frustrating to game reviewers on a deadline. They looooove easy games that hold your hand and show you everything immediately. Risen is not like that. You start out weak and only gradually do you begin to feel like an epic badass hero. That is how I like my RPGs. A real feeling of progress and no hand holding.
 
I'll try the demo. I need a fix. I hope this thing is good.


Well it seems pretty clear now that the XBOX 360 is a very bad port, but the PC version is great. The thing is though, the game is pretty hard at first. In combat you start out really weak so you die often. This is frustrating to game reviewers on a deadline. They looooove easy games that hold your hand and show you everything immediately. Risen is not like that. You start out weak and only gradually do you begin to feel like an epic badass hero. That is how I like my RPGs. A real feeling of progress and no hand holding.


^^ If they excute what you just wrote well, I'll be thrilled.


The screenshots look pretty good. I don't recall playing games back in 2003 that looked like that. ;)
 
Is the combat system anything like Gothic 3's? I had no issues with Gothic 2's system, but when they changed over to the hack-and-slash mess that was in G3 I had a hard time adjusting; even after 40+ hours I was still getting my butt whipped by wolves and bloodflies.
 
I'll try the demo. I need a fix. I hope this thing is good.





^^ If they excute what you just wrote well, I'll be thrilled.


The screenshots look pretty good. I don't recall playing games back in 2003 that looked like that. ;)

Yeah. And you know what, considering how much I hated Oblivion, and considering the 90+% that game rated, PC RPG fans aren't concerned about reviewers panning Risen. We all know they don't even finish the game before posting a score. I mean how much in depth play time could the Eurogamer guy get with an RPG he pans for not having quick travel (Eurogamer noted Risen down for being heavy on exploration and not having quick travel, but Risen absolutely has quick travel).

I loved Morrowind, and after seeing what "popular interest" (aka reviewer loyalty) did to its sequel (with all the depth of porno), I'm sure Risen is going to be my favorite game this year. I'm loving it so far.

They think that we're sheep. Its time to show them that we can make our own decisions; vote with your wallets!
 
Yeah. And you know what, considering how much I hated Oblivion, and considering the 90+% that game rated, PC RPG fans aren't concerned about reviewers panning Risen. We all know they don't even finish the game before posting a score. I mean how much in depth play time could the Eurogamer guy get with an RPG he pans for not having quick travel (Eurogamer noted Risen down for being heavy on exploration and not having quick travel, but Risen absolutely has quick travel).

I loved Morrowind, and after seeing what "popular interest" (aka reviewer loyalty) did to its sequel (with all the depth of porno), I'm sure Risen is going to be my favorite game this year. I'm loving it so far.

They think that we're sheep. Its time to show them that we can make our own decisions; vote with your wallets!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/risen

Shaping up nicely. Metacritic of 81/100

I just played the demo and I love this thing. I hope my progress can be transferred from the demo to the main game. I thought it looked and sounded gorgeous and it plays great. Just what the doctor ordered!
 
Look at that first screenshots - can you sense the urge to explore that ruin? - that is what this game is about.
Finding yourself in over your head, retreating, getting stronger, returning and finally triumphing.Love it.
The scenery looks great, but the character graphic and animation is not as good. I hope this game becomes a massive succes - it deserves it - so their next game can marry this gameplay with higher production values.










 
Is the combat system anything like Gothic 3's? I had no issues with Gothic 2's system, but when they changed over to the hack-and-slash mess that was in G3 I had a hard time adjusting; even after 40+ hours I was still getting my butt whipped by wolves and bloodflies.

I'm very happy to report that they went back to a hybrid gothic 2/1 combat. very aweome. spaming will definately get you killed in short order.
 
Those screenshots look like ass so I'm glad people are commenting on the gameplay. Sounds well worth checking out. (LOL at the 'unforgivable lack of FSAA' comment :rolleyes:). The unforgiving nature of the Gothic games made those games; this is definitely interesting.

I heard so many bad things about G3 that I never even tried it. Sounds like that might be worth visiting as well.
 
It's not bad...

Although getting eaten by 2 wolves 3 times in a row is a bitch....
 
Ironically, I bought G3 when it first came out and even saw past its flaws. Got gored by wild boars endlessly and had to listen to the amnesiac hero's pitiful death cry time after time. I eventually stopped playing because I heard a rumor that progressing too far made you KOS to all orcs on the map.

So even if this game is equally "bad" as Gothic 3, which I gather it isn't, I should be okay. I still want to hear more hands on reviews though.
 
Last edited:
Ironically, I bought G3 when it first came out and even saw past its flaws. Got gored by wild boars endlessly and had to listen to the amnesiac hero's pitiful death cry time after time. I eventually stopped playing because I heard a rumor that progressing too far made you KOS to all orcs on the map.

So even if this game is equally "bad" as Gothic 3, which I gather it isn't, I should be okay. I still want to hear more hands on reviews though.

Speaking of Gothic III, as I believe (never finished it either) you aren't KOS to orcs unless you choose to. You end up either choosing to help the Orcs or to fight with the Humans.
 
Hmm, good to know. Anway, I just plowed through the Risen demo. Here are my only cons from the demo:

Running felt floaty (but so did Gothic)
Jumping looks like you're on the moon (but I think that was also the case in Gothic)
Felt kind of stuttery and chuggy on a Q9550 OC and a GTX 285 w/ 8gb of ram
Made my graphics card emit a high pitched whine on menus

That's it, really. I like it enough to buy it. What kind of mad pc power do you need to run this without stuttering? It wasn't TOO noticeable, but when I ran around and the screen tore (no vsync?) I noticed it quite easily.
 
found the demo is be horrible imo combat felt very awkward and the need to do so many little things fry food, find halth plants etc etc felt tedious maybe i just didnt give it anough of a chance but wasnt my speed.
 
You can force v-sync via nvidia and as far as power, it ran good on my 9800gx2/E8400/2gb ram (xp) setup.

Though I did turn down AA, you may try that (it's default at quite high).
 
Do you mean Anisotropic Filtering? (AF?)

Also, the worldofplayers site mentions you can reduce stuttering by switching your SATA disk drives to AHCI. Any truth to that?
 
I found the combat in the demo to be extremely annoying, just like Gothic 3. The difficulty seemed all screwed up. The first level of mobs took around 7 or 8 hits to kill, and with good timing, I could block their shots... They would do about 8-10 damage per hit to me.. The second level of mob, took about two dozen hits to kill, and did 20-25 damage per hit..

Then there was the combat with the mobs themselves.. They could dart in and attack, then jump back and dodge... Just like Gothic 3, they could do this, but you can't do the same thing.... I was kinda hoping they would have added a nice hop-back dodge like Two Worlds has. Instead, I go to hit a wolf that's right in front of me, and it practically warps around behind me and bites me on the hip. Bleh. And they still have those annoying Gothic 3 "triple attacks" to boot. It's just frustrating as hell.

I'm hoping that a lot of my issues were due to the limitations of the demo, rather than a real representation of the game.
 
Just played the demo. Seems like a pretty good game. I'll buy it when it the price drops after a few months.
 
I'm now about 6 hours in and absolutely love this game so far. I've joined the Inquisitors, but fully intend to go back to play other factions at some point. To echo what most others have said so far...

  • Strong story, albeit it has many similarities with any dozen other RPGs' plotlines.
  • Good leveling system
  • Top-notch voice-acting and well-written (sometimes funny) dialogy
  • Focus on exploration
  • Cool crafting mechanic
  • Huge variation of items
  • Gorgeous outdoors areals
  • Dungeon areas are spooky
  • Good inventory and map design
  • Graphics are beautiful. Contrary to what others have said, It's definitely worlds better than Gothic 3. Lighting effect are excellent, particularly the use of godrays and shadows; transistion from night to day is perfectly done
  • Difficulty is relatively high, even on "easy" setting. It's definitely not a breeze like Oblivion or the Witcher.
  • Movement is a bit "floaty", especially when jumping
  • Animations are a bit stiff at times; character models, while original, look artificial
  • Fight mechanics are a bit clicky, and it's too difficult to master some of the moves/counters

The game runs smoothly on my rig at 2560x1600 all highest, although it doesn't seem to be utilizing my 2nd card at all in CrossfireX mode. It does stutter a bit on certain parts of the outdoors areas.

This is the first RPG I've really enjoyed since the Witcher. Not surprising since the game obviously takes cues from some of the greats: KOTOR, Oblivion, the Witcher, even Ultima X.
 
Hey if anyone wants to write a review for this game, I'll gladly post it up on my site; I'd review it myself, but I just got through Gothic 3 and I'm not sure I'm ready to take this on quite yet. It's certainly very interesting, however. :D
 
Back
Top