• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen, anyone else interested?

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=239

^^ Everyone should keep an eye on the support forums for this game because unfortunately there are a few quest bugs and such like what you're talking about.

The good news, such as it is, is that most of those bugs can be worked around by using the console and spawning the necessary NPC or some such like that.

Tried this. Just spawns a duplicate of him that won't interact with me.
 
anyone figure out how to get past the blue magic barriers yet?

Spoiler
You cannot get through them till chapter 4. At least if you are a mage, you are given the item to make the scrolls to open them. They are the end game dungeons. I am inside one now trying to figure out how to finish it.

 
Risen2009-10-0510-43-19-45.jpg
 
Just thought I would share this melee combat tip. I am sword level 5 right now. It seems that you benefit greatly from timing the combos correctly. You can make your character swing incredibly fast if you do so. For a while there I was just mashing the mouse button to make the combos. But, if you time the swings and really pay attention in battle, the sword swings are so much faster. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.
 
Just thought I would share this melee combat tip. I am sword level 5 right now. It seems that you benefit greatly from timing the combos correctly. You can make your character swing incredibly fast if you do so. For a while there I was just mashing the mouse button to make the combos. But, if you time the swings and really pay attention in battle, the sword swings are so much faster. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

Agreed. Timing matters. Timing makes all the difference in the world in this game.


I've really grown to dislike the melee combat in this game. Desire to play is waning.

Go for ranged combat with a crossbow. Lots of choices and variety.
 
Whats the difference between a crossbow and a bow?

Crossbow is simply stronger and better IMO although I admit I haven't given the bow and arrows enough time and attention to really find out for sure.

I just prefer the ranged combat, in general. It almost feels like I'm playing a Thief game at times. Much better than melee, although if you get a shield and a good one handed sword you can do pretty well.
 
Reading through this thread has got me interested. I've been after a decent RPG since The Witcher came out. I'll probably take the plunge when the price has come down a little on Steam.
 
Reading through this thread has got me interested. I've been after a decent RPG since The Witcher came out. I'll probably take the plunge when the price has come down a little on Steam.

You could probably find it via GG, Amazon, or other retailers cheaper than Steam or Direc2Drive now. I don't know what it is, but I've been seeing the downloads easily be beat on prices on any number of games for a while now.
 
You could probably find it via GG, Amazon, or other retailers cheaper than Steam or Direc2Drive now. I don't know what it is, but I've been seeing the downloads easily be beat on prices on any number of games for a while now.

£10 cheaper at Amazon, Steam is overpriced as per usual - there is no justification for this

Hmm, tempting..
 
Last edited:
£10 cheaper at Amazon, Steam is overpriced as per usual - there is no justification for this

No, there isn't.

I only use Steam if they're cheaper and/or offer a good deal. Like Red Faction Guerrilla preorder was $39.99 and gave me the first two Red Faction games as well. When I see something like that, I'm happy to use Steam otherwise forget it.


Hmm, tempting..

Trust me: You've spent as much or more on a lot worse games and so have I. I don't think you'll regret it. I've been jonesing for a solid single player RPG and this is just what the doctor ordered. :)


EDIT: Crossbows ultimately go further and become stronger than even the best bow and arrow and I just think they're better in general.
 
Last edited:
Is this game like Oblivion where you are basically a God (have powers of all classes) or do you pick a class and stick with it?
 
Go for ranged combat with a crossbow. Lots of choices and variety.

I actually think that's part of my problem. My character has about half of his combat points in Bow/Dexterity, the other half in Sword/Strength, which I think is hindering his ability to melee - his points being too spread out. And honestly, I'm finding very little value in Bows/Dex. About all my bow is good for is pulling, after which point the mob quickly closes range and forces melee. I can get an arrow or two into the enemy before I have to pull out my sword - which really doesn't amount to much. And the enemies that I can kill entirely with my bow are ones that don't pose any sort of threat to me anyways.

I've actually started the game entirely over and plan on going Mage - hoping to alleviate my combat woes.
 
Haven't played in a day or so due to time, but I'll be back at it today. I'm just at the part where Jan tells you to get a weapon. Any faction choice advice before I do something potentially foolish?

Also, any advice on combos? I can usually get away with a little mashing and occasional blocking right now but I know that won't cut it when harder monsters are afoot.
 
Is this game like Oblivion where you are basically a God (have powers of all classes) or do you pick a class and stick with it?

More the latter. You can spread learning points and get trained in any number of things depending on how much gold you have but it really is in your best interest to improve via prioritization.


I actually think that's part of my problem. My character has about half of his combat points in Bow/Dexterity, the other half in Sword/Strength, which I think is hindering his ability to melee - his points being too spread out. And honestly, I'm finding very little value in Bows/Dex. About all my bow is good for is pulling, after which point the mob quickly closes range and forces melee. I can get an arrow or two into the enemy before I have to pull out my sword - which really doesn't amount to much. And the enemies that I can kill entirely with my bow are ones that don't pose any sort of threat to me anyways.

Agreed. You start out as a wimp. There's no other way to say it. Shy of helping yourself with some stat boots via the console cheats ;) ... the game almost forces you to be more of a melee fighter in the early goings because the ranged combat is fairly weak and ineffective.



I've actually started the game entirely over and plan on going Mage - hoping to alleviate my combat woes.

Not a bad idea.
 
Haven't played in a day or so due to time, but I'll be back at it today. I'm just at the part where Jan tells you to get a weapon. Any faction choice advice before I do something potentially foolish?

Also, any advice on combos? I can usually get away with a little mashing and occasional blocking right now but I know that won't cut it when harder monsters are afoot.
As far as Jan and choosing Don vs. Harbor town. You're choice, two different plot-lines.

Combat takes a heavy dose of patience sometimes, can't get to over eager to attack or an enemy will sneak in. Lots of blocking and making sure their combos are done before you let your guard down to attempt an attack.
 
I wasn't too sure what to think of this game at first, but having played it for a bit, just past the first house after the beach, I feel like I may enjoy this one. Seems like it may fly under the radar for most, but be a cult classic for others.
 
Trust me: You've spent as much or more on a lot worse games and so have I. I don't think you'll regret it. I've been jonesing for a solid single player RPG and this is just what the doctor ordered. :)

I trust you! ;)

Bought it for £22.99, £12 cheaper than Steam. Should be here within a week, hopefully.
 
Wow, this world is HUGE!

I've gotten outright lost several times in this world. It's so engrossing here's what happens to me: I think "Oh I'll go take a little walk and check that cave out."

An HOUR or so later, I'm still way deep in this cave somewhere uncovering treasure and who knows what else and when I finally get out of there I'm suddenly in a spot that's off the world's main map.

Exploring is richly rewarded in this game, folks, because there's a bunch of places all around the map that are technically off the map. Some of them you need levitate to get to but a lot of them are easily accessed via walking.

What really impresses me is now only the vast scope but the lushness of the world itself and the variety of the world.

I don't think I could really be more impressed.

Incredible!
 
Well I got a chance to play again for about an hour and a half last night, and I’m loving the game more and more.

This time I got to lead a party of six fighters into battle with a small group of white robes just outside the swamp camp. Amazingly, the action never once slowed my PC down, even with 12+ people on the screen. I was also glad to see that there were no path-finding issues with the NPC’s even though I led them over bridges, into water, through forests, and across uneven terrain. The fight was a lot of fun despite being incredibly cheap since your NPC buddies couldn’t really take enough damage to die, but I eventually led the group as far around the swamp camp as they would follow while eliminating every wild animal I could find. It was a cool experience, especially so early on in this type of RPG, and I hope there are more quests like this one throughout the game.

I also did some venturing out (away from the camp) on my own after picking up my second level in swords and, in classic Gothic fashion, got my ass handed to me by a number of fantastic creatures. I was crushed by an ogre, dissected by preying mantis-like beasts, sliced up by skeleton warriors, and devoured by black wolves. The challenge however is what makes the game fun and worth exploring.

One bonus to fighting the skeletons though was that I learned the value of my newly acquired parry skill. As many others have said, timing is everything in melee combat, and it’s also the difference between a decent sword fight and a shit-load of frustration early on in the game. A few well timed parries saved me from hitting the F9 key numerous times while clearing out a dungeon full of skeletons. I’ll be a very happy gamer if the additional unlock-able combat skills prove equally useful later on down the line.

All in all this is shaping up to be a great game!
 
When I went from Sword 2 to Sword 3, my useful parry was replaced with a weak sort-of "slice" move with the sword.

I loved timing the right click parry move and then slashing them up when they were out of position. What happened to my parry??? :confused:
 
just got the 5 disks, and went into the cave w/ the inquisitor. my only worry/complaint, Is I believe the game will be over very soon, and I only have 20-25 hours into it which seems very short for what it could have been :( My dood is over powered now too, as he has about 100 STR and DEX and I have level 9 swords and have a demonblade which can demolish any enemy in a few hits. Ashbeasts and Elite warriors are still a pain, and take atleast a few calculated swings to take out, and can dish out decent damage on me.

the armor and weapons arnt very expansive. I think im at the end of the game, and I have seen 2 sets of armor, 2 helmets, a few bow's and a few crossbows. I was hoping for like 10+ for each, but eh, i guess no game can be perfect :(
 
just got the 5 disks, and went into the cave w/ the inquisitor. my only worry/complaint, Is I believe the game will be over very soon, and I only have 20-25 hours into it which seems very short for what it could have been :( My dood is over powered now too, as he has about 100 STR and DEX and I have level 9 swords and have a demonblade which can demolish any enemy in a few hits. Ashbeasts and Elite warriors are still a pain, and take atleast a few calculated swings to take out, and can dish out decent damage on me.

the armor and weapons arnt very expansive. I think im at the end of the game, and I have seen 2 sets of armor, 2 helmets, a few bow's and a few crossbows. I was hoping for like 10+ for each, but eh, i guess no game can be perfect :(
Know what your saying, similar situation but ont 3/5 discs. Keep in mind, yes, I can go in red portals now, there are still the blue portals which I haven't been in and imagine will have to go hunt all of them down for some reason after turning the discs in. And still only in chapter 2 of 3. So there is still a bit more to go...

I am eager for new armor, gotta a shiny new metal helmet I bought from a blacksmith somewhere and still old crappy leather bandit hunters armor.
 
Interested in hearing more on Oblivion comparisons/contrasts with this.

Apples vs. oranges.

More freedom, more epic scope, more variety, more consequences, no "enemies build up alongside you" nonsense.

It's just different and a breath of fresh air all the way around.

A better game on several fronts for serious RPG fans IMO and I like Oblivion a lot on its own merits.

The screenshots don't lie, either: A lush immersive world chock full of variety and places to get lost in await you.
 
that was always one of the draws of the Gothic series (I know this isn't Gothic, but undeniably there is similarities) I found that when Morrowind (so barren) was out I got into the Gothic series and even though the original didn't have lush forests Gothic 2 nailed forests. I found myself lost a number of times just because the vegetation was so thick and close together. Gothic 3 still had some thicket around, but there was way too much land to really do anything like in Gothic 2. PB knows how to make a convincing forest.
 
that was always one of the draws of the Gothic series (I know this isn't Gothic, but undeniably there is similarities) I found that when Morrowind (so barren) was out I got into the Gothic series and even though the original didn't have lush forests Gothic 2 nailed forests. I found myself lost a number of times just because the vegetation was so thick and close together. Gothic 3 still had some thicket around, but there was way too much land to really do anything like in Gothic 2. PB knows how to make a convincing forest.

The other thing that this game and the Gothic games (especially the latter ones) blow Oblivion away on is the variety of people and their response to you.

All told, the world is just more varied and realistic in any number of ways. Oblivion almost feels like you're playing in a glass bottle full of cloned people and places.
 
That's another reason the original Gothic sucked me in better than Morrowind. A living breathing world, or so it seemed. At the old camp people went to work, hung out in front of their homes and went sat by the fire. People would go out hunting during the day and be home at night. It was great compared to Morrowind's static world (though Morrowind was still awesome for it's time). I wish I could get my copy of Gothic running on my system but it doesn't like Nvidia and their Windows 7 drivers for some reason
 
That's another reason the original Gothic sucked me in better than Morrowind. A living breathing world, or so it seemed. At the old camp people went to work, hung out in front of their homes and went sat by the fire. People would go out hunting during the day and be home at night. It was great compared to Morrowind's static world (though Morrowind was still awesome for it's time). I wish I could get my copy of Gothic running on my system but it doesn't like Nvidia and their Windows 7 drivers for some reason

I may just go ahead and reinstall Gothic 3 and patch it all the way up through the latest community made patches. This game has whetted my appetite and I think I would approach that "fixed" Gothic 3 a lot more appreciative and ready for it thanks to this game.

"Static world." That's as good a phrase as any to describe both Morrowind and Oblivion's weakness, at least IMO. And I love both of those games, don't get me wrong.
 
I also like how the transition into dungeons or caves and houses is seamless instead of the way everything has to be loaded in Morrowind/Oblivion. I understand why it had to be done this way in Morrowind / Oblivion but the result is a less immersive experience.
 
Last edited:
I also like how the transition into dungeons or caves and houses is seamless instead of the way everything has to be loaded in Morrowind/Oblivion. I understand why it had to be done this way in Morrowind / Oblivion but the result is a less immersive experience.

Far and away more immersive without the loading. Night and day difference.
 
This sounds more and more interesting. What does Oblivion do better?

How about modding?

Is the combat more realistic like Mount & Blade and Might & Magic? I hate Morrowind's clumbsy feeling combat (even though I love the game). Oblivion was only slightly more fluid. Mount and Blade is awesome. Is this game a lot more than mouse clicking?

Sorry for asking, I'm sure by now you just want to say, "Just try it out already!"
 
Last edited:
To all of those considering getting Risen but are still sceptical:

Get it. Its fantastic. It looks much better than Oblivion, it plays better and it actually presents a challenge for the player even on the normal difficulty. Gone is the hand holding endemic to mainstream RPGs.

This is destined to be one of those cult classic games that are fondly remebered years from now by those who played it, and people who didn't will be kicking themeselves for missing out.

Risen is exploration-RPG at its finest.
 
After playing with the idea, I finally bought based on my love of the Gothic series... I hope it doesn't disappoint me with some random bug (like Gothic 3's font slow down).
 
To all of those considering getting Risen but are still sceptical:

Get it. Its fantastic. It looks much better than Oblivion, it plays better and it actually presents a challenge for the player even on the normal difficulty. Gone is the hand holding endemic to mainstream RPGs.

This is destined to be one of those cult classic games that are fondly remembered years from now by those who played it, and people who didn't will be kicking themeselves for missing out.

Risen is exploration-RPG at its finest.

Not a perfect game (nothing is)...but I really couldn't agree more with every point in this post nonetheless. It's the best RPG I've played in a long time.
 
lol.... so how the fuck am I supposed to defeat Aric? I started over with the intent of going Mage, but now I'm in the monastery and they're testing me with the staff. I've used all my learning points thus far on staff (level 4, the highest he'll teach me) and strength - which all seems to be going against my Mage plan. Regardless, Aric literally drops me in 2 hits (or 1 if he hits me with his jumping lunge) and one of my hits does, oooooh, about 2% of hit health. He blocks like a mofo as well.

I've tried the dodging approach, and whenever I double-dodge to his back he just 'warps' to my other side before I can swing. It's comical.

Do I need to go grind on hedgehogs for another 5 levels or something?
 
Back
Top