Risen, anyone else interested?

Combat is god awful though seriously
The famous quote "You're doing it wrong" applies here. The combat is actually incredibly easy once you understand what you're doing. Towards the end of the game I could kill Ashbeast and Ghouls without getting touched once. I found it incredibly challenging and very rewarding once I figured it out.

• Time the swings
  • Use a shield (2 handed sucks in this game)
  • Use dodge

The famous quote "You're doing it wrong" applies here. The combat is actually incredibly easy once you understand what you're doing. Towards the end of the game I could kill Ashbeast and Ghouls without getting touched once. I found it incredibly challenging and very rewarding once I figured it out.

• Time the swings
  • Use a shield (2 handed sucks in this game)
  • Use dodge

Agreed. And be patient. You start the game out as a complete weakling. No handholding or handouts in this game but it sure does reward you for exploring, pacing yourself, and picking your spots.

I think it's an excellent game myself.

I apologize for the one month necro, but I didn't get around to playing a copy of Risen I obtained from Ebay until a few days ago.

For anyone that played it for a few hours and quit, you should think about revisiting it. About 10 hours in now and liking it more and more. I don't ever recall playing an rpg with such a steep learning curve. So it is rewarding when I progress with the game.

Anyone know where the first place you can get lockpicking training is? I feel like it should have been in harbourtown, but I missed it.

For some reason Risen just stopped showing my saved games. I can navigate to the directory in explorer and they are still there but nothing shows up under load in the menu and continue is greyed out. Hard pressed to imagine a better way to kill one's interest in a game. :|

sounds like a reinstall issue. you might want to save that folder, restart the game, save a game, then overwrite the save with your original save.

1674582978332.png

Piranha Bytes released a surprise patch for the game to bring it inline with the recent launch on consoles, including modern gamepad support and compiling the executable for 64-bit. Unfortunately people are reporting that save games for the previous version do not work with this new version of the game despite the patch notes saying they are.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/40300/view/3660897688194674802

To celebrate the launch of Risen on modern consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Switch) we also gave this SKU here an update.
The game now fully support DirectInput compatible gamepads (either use the launch option to force it or set Controller Mode in the games option menu). We also
updated the languages it supports (Polish and Russian are fully integrated) and added Steam Achievements and Rich Presence via Steam and Discord.
Along the way we did a few gameplay & technical (related to audio and physics) bugfixes, made it use 64bit and also added options like changing the FOV.
Savegames are also compatible with the old SKU and we also added Steam Cloud.

Back