• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen, anyone else interested?

Joined the Don's side, they just seemed like better people.

I gotta ask though, where the hell do you get armor? I'm about 6 hours in as well and still running around in dirty rags :(
 
How are people saying it chugs on superior to my system (see sig)??? really I have the demo graphics maxed out and it doesn't hiccup and my system isn't by any means new.
 
The lighting in this game is phenomenal.

Honestly right now I feel its up there with Crysis - its that good





 
p.s. Playing final version and it runs maxed out on my system without any slow downs that I can notice. Final runs way better then demo.
 
p.s. Playing final version and it runs maxed out on my system without any slow downs that I can notice. Final runs way better then demo.

That sounds encouraging..On my sig rig I was getting 45-60 fps all maxed1920x1080..Was hoping retail was better optimized.
 
Is the game over when you find the flashlight?

battery.jpg
 
I found the combat in the demo to be extremely annoying, just like Gothic 3. The difficulty seemed all screwed up. The first level of mobs took around 7 or 8 hits to kill, and with good timing, I could block their shots... They would do about 8-10 damage per hit to me.. The second level of mob, took about two dozen hits to kill, and did 20-25 damage per hit..

Then there was the combat with the mobs themselves.. They could dart in and attack, then jump back and dodge... Just like Gothic 3, they could do this, but you can't do the same thing.... I was kinda hoping they would have added a nice hop-back dodge like Two Worlds has. Instead, I go to hit a wolf that's right in front of me, and it practically warps around behind me and bites me on the hip. Bleh. And they still have those annoying Gothic 3 "triple attacks" to boot. It's just frustrating as hell.

I'm hoping that a lot of my issues were due to the limitations of the demo, rather than a real representation of the game.

Umm, I ju st played the demo so far but.

1. The first enemy I encountered (the vultures) took lilke one hit to kill (on normal diffculty). The second ones (gnomes) just took a few (3-4'ish).

2. You can dodge, try double tapping back or left/right and he'll do a quick dodge just like your enemies can do.
 
Alright, guys - you got me. I disregarded my own warning and picked the game up. And, well, I have to admit, I didn't think a game of this quality could come out of Germany anymore. Especially the voice acting - very well done.

So, I'm liking the game so far, and it's very much like the previous Gothic titles - which was to be expected. The faction choices, the combat, the lore, the very stiff animiations - all Gothic. But it's fun, and the environments are beautiful and very well done, which makes exploration great.

I'm about 4 hours in now, and my biggest gripe is probably the quests and how they're structured. It's very archaic in that, so far, most of the missions just break down to having you talk to people in a certain order to further the dialogue trees. LOTS of dialogue. And there's been a few times now where I hit a wall and couldn't progress my quests because I couldn't find who I needed to talk to - and it slogged the whole pace of the game down. But I'm assuming I'm still in the 'tutorial' phase of the game, where it makes me pick my faction, pick my class, etc... and at some point here the whole game is going to 'open up'. At least I hope so.

The combat is also clumsy and takes a while to get used to. I also don't like how, at times, the game forces you into a close-combat melee brawl with some tough characters. Because I've been leveling my guy up as a ranged Hunter/Thief, and melee isn't my specialty. It's made these forced encounters very tough.

But those are mainly my gripes. Liking the game so far, haven't hit any bugs surprisingly, runs super smooth on a 4890, and looking forward to more.
 
Last edited:
I gotta ask though, where the hell do you get armor? I'm about 6 hours in as well and still running around in dirty rags :(


If you're at the Don's, your first upgrade I believe would be Workers Clothes which you get from Hawkins. Not sure of the dialogue options you have to do to open that up though - but he's the guy.

Your second upgrade would be after you get back from Harbor Town and the game assigns you a class - then you can get the appropriate armor from the Don himself after you're in his favor.
 
Have to wait till 16th, when it's released in Poland. Not getting it from Steam,. Steam price = 50 euro, retail price 30 euro (yay for convergence rates 1$=1E at steam :p)

But it sounds interesting, as we recently didn't get good RPG games. It might be finally breakthrough year for RPG crowd with Risen, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Witcher 2 in the making :) Oh, and I want to see how Risen is compared with Arcania :)
 
Excellent game! I agree on the lighting!! So far 7 hours in and I just met the Don. LOVING it!! :D No hitches, pauses, hiccups or anything. Runs flawlessly.
 
Hmn funny shit. In bandit camp now, finished all finish able quests and people are refusing to talk. Can't advice storyline or anything. Cool stuff.
 
I love this game! I was happy to copy and paste my save from the demo and go right on about my merry way without missing a beat. :)
 
I noticed the combat weirdness too. A spike rat leaped in like a lightning bolt and hit me three times in a row (nearly killing me) then darted out of reach. I hope that doesn't happen all the time or I forsee many, many reloads.
 

If you're at the Don's, your first upgrade I believe would be Workers Clothes which you get from Hawkins. Not sure of the dialogue options you have to do to open that up though - but he's the guy.

Your second upgrade would be after you get back from Harbor Town and the game assigns you a class - then you can get the appropriate armor from the Don himself after you're in his favor.

Thanks. I did Harbor Town first though so it was pretty weird that I wasn't able to get any armor yet since everything was kicking my ass.

Is there much character customization in this game... are you the same cookie cutter character in the game?

You're the same character physically, but there is a lot of customization when it comes to stats and skills.
 
I noticed the combat weirdness too. A spike rat leaped in like a lightning bolt and hit me three times in a row (nearly killing me) then darted out of reach. I hope that doesn't happen all the time or I forsee many, many reloads.

The idea is to parry the attack, not just stand there and take it. The enemies have patterns of attack.
 
I'm really embarassed to ask this as I'm assuming I am missing something but here goes: I'm early in the game to the point you're free and clear to go to Harbour Town. Guess what? There isn't anyone there. Not a soul. There isn't a soul to be seen in this game except for creatures and enemies as of this point. I've gone to the monastry as well and there's no one there, either.

I have the game on Steam, I've verified file integrity...is the game supposed to be this kind of a ghost town?
 
I am about 20 hours in so far. I played it non stop two days in a row. I have not had this much fun since Oblivion or Fallout 3 came out.

I am a level 23 mage. I have level 10 fireball and level 7 + 1 sword. I also trained up alchemy to 3 to make perma stat potions. With two certain items from the ground you can get perma stat potions. I made 15 of these or so all game. The ground is pretty much completely devoid of shrubbery thanks to me.

If you are just starting out, join the Inquisitors. The magic + sword combo is perfect. I absolutely love the melee combat system. Having to actively dodge/parry/block is the best way to do it. I feel it is much more advanced than Oblivion's combat system. I can take anything and still be completely screwed at times.
 
Last edited:
I'm really embarassed to ask this as I'm assuming I am missing something but here goes: I'm early in the game to the point you're free and clear to go to Harbour Town. Guess what? There isn't anyone there. Not a soul. There isn't a soul to be seen in this game except for creatures and enemies as of this point. I've gone to the monastry as well and there's no one there, either.

I have the game on Steam, I've verified file integrity...is the game supposed to be this kind of a ghost town?

Very odd. Harbour Town and the monastery are supposed to be loaded with people. You will also see people on the roads here and there.
 
Very odd. Harbour Town and the monastery are supposed to be loaded with people. You will also see people on the roads here and there.

Not for me. A barren ghost town. I'll try a couple of things on my end for experimenting.

EDIT: I'm at a complete loss. There simply aren't any people. I've had no glitches and no signs of anything being awry whatsoever.

What a disappointment. I'm not really eager to restart the game, either, unless I really just have to.


Speculation: Was copying and pasting my save from the demo my mistake? I would think it wouldn't have been but maybe that's it?

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43727

All kinds of threads like these on the publisher's official forums for the game. I guess you can add my glitch to the sea of glitches and quest killers this thing apparently has anyways.

I guess I should have waited before buying if this is anything to go by.
 
Last edited:
Hmn... found a way around my issue... I wish this was documented somewhere in the quest log though... lame.
 
I see this is 10 dollars cheaper on Direct2Drive, does this have limited activations? I read the worldofplayers site that says it has Tages but no real DRM, how does that work?
 
I see this is 10 dollars cheaper on Direct2Drive, does this have limited activations? I read the worldofplayers site that says it has Tages but no real DRM, how does that work?

Piece of cake. The Tages screen pops up, shows you the serial already entered, you hit Enter, choose "I have a live Internet connection", voila.
 
Piece of cake. The Tages screen pops up, shows you the serial already entered, you hit Enter, choose "I have a live Internet connection", voila.

Cool. I guess I was more worried that if I format my hard drive I'd have to contact customer support. Thanks.
 
I bet my mistake was copying and pasting my save from the demo into the final game and that's why I'm looking at an empty game world. I have nothing to lose at this rate so I guess I'll start a brand new game, fresh, in the full game and see what happens unless someone has another idea for me.
 
I'd wager that's what went wrong also. I'm currently downloading from D2D, should be done in a few hours on my slow DSL.
 
All done downloading, just started a game a few minutes ago. So Inquisitors is the way to go first time through? I was going to try the Rogues but only because the guide is so insistant that I go to his swamp.
 
SPOILERS






:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:







Errr...well, game was going fine until the I was supposed to doing my Convocation ceremony into the Holy Flame and the Inquisitor does not show up? Figure out the way to activate the console and teleport to him and get insta gibbed by Lizardmen I have never seen that he is fighting. Put on Godmode and try it again. Talks to him, and the cut scene sort of works, and then he tells me to follow him and we end up at some bridge way near the end game I think, and a bunch of guys are fighting off Lizardmen. Reloading saves makes the same thing happen, I even went back a couple saves. Sooo....yah -- game over for me I guess?
 
Umm, I ju st played the demo so far but.

1. The first enemy I encountered (the vultures) took lilke one hit to kill (on normal diffculty). The second ones (gnomes) just took a few (3-4'ish).

2. You can dodge, try double tapping back or left/right and he'll do a quick dodge just like your enemies can do.

Really? I missed that.. I actually didn't have much trouble until I got to the boars.. Just seemed like all of the mobs suddenly got a drastic boost of steroids in that area. The demo was gorgeous, just irksome.
 
I'm having real trouble with the fights... Wolves, porcupines, vultures etc. can kill me easily if I'm not careful. Harder characters (e.g., the merchant's bodygaurd) can literally take 4-5 minutes of parry/strike to kill, and waste me with 3-4 hits. I find the parry-knockback move impossible to time and the dodge is very difficult with the harder characters.

I've trained in Dexterity, Strength, and Staff Fighting as much as possible. I buff up with plants as much as possible. What am I doing wrong? Is it becuase I chose to be in the Inquisitors (staff fighter)?
 
In my option so far, its not a "get phat loot and dominate" game. Its an "explore, talk and enjoy the story", type of game.

Big time.

I'm enjoying it enough that I'm actually tempted to reinstall Gothic 3 and patch it all the way up through the latest community patches.

For folks that have done that, basically: What are the simillarities and differences between a fully patched Gothic 3 vs this game?


I'm having real trouble with the fights... Wolves, porcupines, vultures etc. can kill me easily if I'm not careful. Harder characters (e.g., the merchant's bodygaurd) can literally take 4-5 minutes of parry/strike to kill, and waste me with 3-4 hits. I find the parry-knockback move impossible to time and the dodge is very difficult with the harder characters.

I've trained in Dexterity, Strength, and Staff Fighting as much as possible. I buff up with plants as much as possible. What am I doing wrong? Is it becuase I chose to be in the Inquisitors (staff fighter)?

Timing with the right mouse button to parry and counter is critical. I've noticed that if I block correctly, the enemy's attack sometimes deflects and the enemy takes damage and then I attack.

You also need to do more than just frantically hit the attack button, or "spamming" the attack button. That simply will not work. Move side to side allows for lateral attacks, moving forward with the attack button issues a thrusting attack and so forth. There's a surprising amount of variety to what you can do.

The more I get used to it, the more I really like this fighting engine. It's certainly not perfect, but it's just a matter of getting the right timing and feel for it. It also helps to pick the right spots and times to fight.

What I really respect and like about these kinds of games is you don't have any of this lame leveling up crap or nonsense like what Oblivion did where the enemies level up with you. It feels like a more realistic gameworld when I can explore where I want to go at my own peril and if I go somewhere that I maybe shouldn't be? I get my ass kicked and rightly so.

You can go anywhere you want from the word go at your own peril. There are plenty of spots where, if you are not built up, you will rightly get destroyed in a heartbeat and that's the way it should be IMO.


I'm playing at Normal difficulty but I would suggest lowering the difficulty to easy if you're really having a hard time with it. :)
 
I have about 24 hours into this game already, and I am very much impressed. TBH this is one of my favorite games right now. The graphics are amazing, I have zero issues at 1920x1200 totally maxed out. Its locked at 60 the who time. I am only using 1 of my 295GTX's too, non overclocked. The graphics WOW. Until you play this game, you wont appriciate the beauty of it. I catch my self in aww all the time, especially when looking at the water, and waves and stuff. Very well played. Models are not much of a step up compared to gothic 3, but I can forgive that for the rest of the game. all the trees grass and flowers look gorgeous. Many of the enemies are pretty kool looking too.

As far as difficulty, this game keeps me on my toes... I am level 18, and still struggle fighting ashbeasts. I can only beat one if I use like 3 potions. Ogre's, well ive taken a few out, but I avoid them when I can cause they put the hurtin on me. I wanted to go the magic route, but ended up becoming a fighter. I have level 10 sword fighting skills, and must admit the combat system is way better then that joke in gothic 3.

I am currently collecting disks, and have 3 of the 5. Have no clue where to find the other 2, but I will be searching for them tonight when I get off of work. the teleport stones make it much easier as the game is very large, and the run speed is not as fast as I would have liked.

anyway, this isnt a very well oganized review, but I just wanted to put the thoughts that came to mind as they came to me.

I am impressed with this game. I have only come across 1 glitch in 2 places. Sometimes when walking through a door, for some reason, it will teleport you upstairs in the same location as you were at the door, then you have to either

1.) walk out the door backwards
2.) tap left left real fast, and it will kinda of do a dodge out the door and it wont happen.

other than that i have been glitch free for 24 hours, so its way better then gothic 3 in the glitch department.

For all those who are weary of playing this, dont be! It is definately one of the best RPG's i have played in a while. i really recomend it to all. The glitches are a minimum. My only complaint is the open endedness. sometimes its a little difficult to figure out where you need to go for some tasks/quests. Just wait until you have to find the leader of the resistance in habor town, that one took me forever....
 
SPOILERS

Errr...well, game was going fine until the I was supposed to doing my Convocation ceremony into the Holy Flame and the Inquisitor does not show up? Figure out the way to activate the console and teleport to him and get insta gibbed by Lizardmen I have never seen that he is fighting. Put on Godmode and try it again. Talks to him, and the cut scene sort of works, and then he tells me to follow him and we end up at some bridge way near the end game I think, and a bunch of guys are fighting off Lizardmen. Reloading saves makes the same thing happen, I even went back a couple saves. Sooo....yah -- game over for me I guess?

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=239

^^ Everyone should keep an eye on the support forums for this game because unfortunately there are a few quest bugs and such like what you're talking about.

The good news, such as it is, is that most of those bugs can be worked around by using the console and spawning the necessary NPC or some such like that.
 
I’m loving the game right now, but I’ve been lucky enough to not have encountered any major glitches. At this point I’ve done basically all of the quests in the rebel/swamp base and met with the Don.

Performance wise, I don’t ever get more than 25-35 FPS outdoors at 2560x1600 but luckily this is one of those games that doesn’t need 60 fps to feel smooth. Even when the frames dip down to 20, the game doesn’t really look or feel choppy. The only exception is when the character is carrying a torch, but even then it’s not too noticeable.

The combat system has improved greatly from Gothic 3, imho. The Block / three swing formula is still in effect but it feels much more solid. Your strikes will land on an opponent in a consistent range which feels appropriate, and returning swings after a successful block doesn’t always guarantee damage since enemies will also block and dash out of the way. This made my arena fights a lot of fun, even when I died repeatedly. It looks like more combat abilities / options will open up as you level your skill in a given weapon so combat should, to some extent, keep from getting too repetitive.

As far as ranged combat and magic go, I haven’t used either enough to really speak on, but it seems their mechanics haven’t changed much from the Gothic series.

The role-playing experience, which is what I enjoyed most about the Gothic games, has remained intact and unforgiving as ever. Making certain choices will exclude you from others and can completely end or cut off certain quest-lines, but it’s not quite as cut and dry as Oblivion or Fallout 3. Shy of saving and retrying every conversation option, it can sometimes (whether intended or not) be difficult to tell what effect your choices might have had, but that’s one of the thing’s I like about the game as it adds variety to the experience.

Anyway, that’s the quick review of my experience so far. Looking forward to exploring the rest of the island and story line!
 
The combat system has improved greatly from Gothic 3, imho. The Block / three swing formula is still in effect but it feels much more solid. Your strikes will land on an opponent in a consistent range which feels appropriate, and returning swings after a successful block doesn’t always guarantee damage since enemies will also block and dash out of the way. This made my arena fights a lot of fun, even when I died repeatedly. It looks like more combat abilities / options will open up as you level your skill in a given weapon so combat should, to some extent, keep from getting too repetitive.

Ranged combat is fun. I'm using a pretty nice crossbow with some bolts and let me tell you: That's real nifty and addictive as can be. You hit the headshot just right and a lot of enemies will go down with 1-2 shots.

I like it a lot better than close up fighting with swords or other melee weapons although obviously sometimes you just have to do it. And that's not knocking the close up combat. It's pretty good. :)
 
Back
Top