Reznor Says Zuckerberg is ‘No Genius’

HardOCP News

[H] News
I always like reading interviews like this with Trent Reznor because he always has something interesting to say.

When I see the media heralding Zuckerburg, putting him up on a pedestal of genius and mentioned in the same breathe as Steve Jobs, I’m highly degree with that. He was in the right place, at the right time, with a functional tool.

Wow. Never thought I'd gree with Trent Reznor on anything, but on this I actually do.

There were many facebook-like tools that predated facebook. (The first one I used was SixDegrees.com founded in 1997, seven years before facebook, with much of the same functionality.

Check out this article.

Zuckerberg was neither a genius or particularly innovative with Facebook. facebook was just another "me-too" site, that for some reason took off bigtime, where the others didn't.

Sixdegrees.com went under in 2001, but today there is a new resurrected site in its place which I don't know anything about...

Facebook does a lot of things that are good from a marketing standpoint, but a nightmare for users.

I wouldn't call Zuckerberg a genius either, but he obviously took the opportunity when it presented itself. I doubt I will ever have a Facebook account, but good on him for making such a successful company.

So by being "highly degree" with Zuckerberg, does that mean he is hot under the collar?

And this 27 year old kid is in the top 30 richest people in America; genius or not I'm jealous of the bastard.

Facebook wasn't a revolutionary idea (dozens before it, including MySpace), but it was well-executed and definitely a lot better than any of the competition. Personally, I liked it better when it was exclusive to college students, but I guess it's alright now.

Definitely liked it better before they added "applications" to it, though.

eh, I don't think he's a genius either, but seriously who the fuck is Trent Reznor to be criticizing anyone on what level of genius they may or may not have?

Trent Reznor is a whiny vagina ++++ face that looks like that man off the office... Hes a talentless douche that gets other people to write his shitty music while he composes trite poppy whinefest lyrics producing off kilter jarring crap. He is outdated and irrelevent, and constantly tries to be "one of the people" by trying to get people to mix his shit for him. So it's unsurprising he sucks steves hip faucet (I liked that before so i'm using it now). But anyway he is all lame'n'shit. Like facebook. They should get married. Then shoot themselves. Privately.

I think most are successes are people "in the right place at the right time with the right tool"
It does not mean they are not smart or "ahead of the curve". I think the key is that a good majority of us are not taking the chance (getting off our duff) to be in the right place.

People in the right place at the right time....

Jobs
Gates
Ballmer (what is his tool?)
Alexander Bell

and the list goes on....

Couldn't someone say the exact same statement about pretty much every business person to push a good product?

"When I see the media heralding Jobs, putting him up on a pedestal of genius and mentioned in the same breathe as Bill Gates, I’m highly degree with that. He was in the right place, at the right time, with a functional tool." Could be said about Jobs iPhone vs. Gates' outdated WinMo platform. Am I wrong here?

Interesting comment. He did do the soundtrack for the Facebook movie, "The Social Network". It fit in very well with the movie. I wouldn't call certainly wouldn't call Reznor talentless.

I have said the same thing many times actually. Gates and Jobs are definitely genius. Zuckerberg based on watching videos of him speaking about facebook falls far short of it.

eh, I don't think he's a genius either, but seriously who the fuck is Trent Reznor to be criticizing anyone on what level of genius they may or may not have?

I don't know wheres he's gone lately, but Pretty Hate Machine was a genius of an album for 1989.

Pretty much how I've always gotten laid.

Eeeehhh oooohhh.... LOL.

Always thought that about Zuckerberg. He had the same gift and idea as 2000 others and he essentially built off something that was already starting to get into full swing. Didn't hurt that mommy and daddy gave him a silver spoon. I haven't read anything about this guy that would suggest he's a "genius" -- on the contrary, suggesting he is a genius is a gross overstatement. Enstein was a genius: this guy was a talented dude in the right place at the right time.

Jobs, Gates, Woz... they were visionaries, pushed the limits of what technology (hardware) could do, and built something from near-nothing.

Einstein, Jobs and Gates all did not have the IQs of a genius. Einstein couldn't even pass high school!

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates NEVER made anything themselves, anybody who thinks they did is an anti-genius!

Trent Reznor is a whiny vagina ++++ face that looks like that man off the office... Hes a talentless douche that gets other people to write his shitty music while he composes trite poppy whinefest lyrics producing off kilter jarring crap. He is outdated and irrelevent, and constantly tries to be "one of the people" by trying to get people to mix his shit for him. So it's unsurprising he sucks steves hip faucet (I liked that before so i'm using it now). But anyway he is all lame'n'shit. Like facebook. They should get married. Then shoot themselves. Privately.

Out of curiousity, what musical masterpieces have you created? ;)

You guys aren't getting it, the "big idea" behind facebook was that it was exclusive to top colleges and you had to be invited in. People like the idea of being in on a cool thing. That was the idea that he stole, not just another social website, those were already around.

So, hypothetically, I wonder if Trent is cool with me stealing this 'excellent' album and whether he'd back me up if I was sued for doing so.

He told the Aussies to steal.

But it became popular only when it wasn't exclusive anymore and myspace began censorship! Nobody reads history!

Einstein failed his college entrance exam, is that genius? He got most of his ideas for his wild theories from reviewing relevant patents for his job, and there is never any real math to back them up! That is why almost every single one of them has been disproven:

1. Relativity
2. Equivilancy
3. Gravity
4. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light

It's easy to trick people into thinking you are a genius when they are not smart enough to understand your BS!

So, hypothetically, I wonder if Trent is cool with me stealing this 'excellent' album and whether he'd back me up if I was sued for doing so.

He told the Aussies to steal.

Yeah he is. He can't give away his old albums I believe due to contractual disputes, but his album or two has been free or "Pay what you want" and yeah he's been quoted several times as saying to go ahead torrent what you want. It's been shown by several artists now that in cases where the artist doesn't have a Label advertising for them torrenting actually works great for them as a word of mouth tool.

But it became popular only when it wasn't exclusive anymore and myspace began censorship! Nobody reads history!
QUOTE]

No, it was already popular before it become open to the public. They waited long enough until everyone on the outside wanted to be in. Its like the hot dog stand in chicago with a 2 hour long wait. You tell all your friends about it, they want to go see what the fuss is all about, and they end up waiting the 2 hours to finally get inside.

According to the timeline, the banning of Tila Tequila and her million friend exodus to Facebook, AFTER it was non-exclusive was the start of its increased growth rate compared to its competitors. People got sick of the censorship, and MySpace officially died when it was bought by Fox.

So by that logic it wasn't the American inventors throughout recent history that were genius, but the Japanese mass-manufacturers that copied their ideas and made them popular?

P10-17000 said:
Einstein couldn't even pass high school!
!

please at least glance at a wiki before you spread the lies your parents and school told you.

einstein dropped out of school at 15 because his family moved and went straight to college at 17 skipping years of school. skipping school it took him 2 tries to get in the best college of the time for math and science during this time when he "couldn't even pass high school" he wrote a paper . The Investigation of the State of Aether in Magnetic Fields, it is about electrical fields and how they interact. in 1895. wrote a paper about electricity around the age 16 in 1895 about electricity., a real dummy.

also i dont think einstein ever took an IQ test, most IQ of famous are actually estimated meaning they are double bullshit. again making him seem less special so people feel less stupid by comparison.

only BS here is P10-17000

You guys aren't getting it, the "big idea" behind facebook was that it was exclusive to top colleges and you had to be invited in. People like the idea of being in on a cool thing. That was the idea that he stole, not just another social website, those were already around.

absolutely. Then it was every college. And If i remember right you had to be part of a high school network after they opened it up more. And all the college kids cried. Then it was opened to everyone. Finally the parents could be part of the cool club.

Its like a no girls tree fort. Every girl on the block wants to be apart of it.

He's right. Zuckerberg is a talentless, entitledtool with an attitude rivaled only by Steve Jobs. Facebook was not innovative - as others have said, there were plenty of social networking sites at the time and its debatable if any of them truly offer anything actually revolutionary. It isn't coded especially well and basically builds in privacy and security violations. However the worst part is his complete lack of ethics and respect for users of his product.

From the famous "I can't believe those people trusted me. Morons" quote, to stealing the personal information of residence hall students and using it to launch the site, to the gross violations of privacy and information harvesting/sale that continue to this day, there is NOTHING positive about what Zuckerberg has done over the years on Facebook or any other endeavor.

Just the past week or so it was revealed that Facebook allows any of your friends to basically put you into any group - not suggest, but actually make you a member. So this means if a friend of a friend wishes decides that you should be in "Hitler is the best ever, lets kill some fags on Wednesdays" you'll be in said group until you notice and remove yourself. What was Facebook's answer? "Oh well you should get better friends who won't do that! Remove them from your friends list! Oh, and if you remove yourself from a group you can't be put back in without your consent. So we're really secure!" Instead of the proper answer which would be "How about nobody can actually put you into a group without your expressed consent. They can suggest, but only you can join. But no. This is just one of the many horrid policies.

Its a vile, vile website run by a vile, vile man.

Being a genius is entirely dependent upon his IQ, not someones subjective opinion of him.

He might be a genius, I've never heard any information on his IQ publicized.

The fact that Reznor states Jobs makes me want to barf, and for that I lose a bit of respect for him. I'll assume he was high. Good music though :)

I think most are successes are people "in the right place at the right time with the right tool"
It does not mean they are not smart or "ahead of the curve". I think the key is that a good majority of us are not taking the chance (getting off our duff) to be in the right place.

People in the right place at the right time....

Jobs
Gates
Ballmer (what is his tool?)
Alexander Bell

and the list goes on....

Alexander Bell? Honestly? While the telephone is controversial, he did much more than just that. Don't clump him in with Jobs and Zuckerberg.

absolutely. Then it was every college. And If i remember right you had to be part of a high school network after they opened it up more. And all the college kids cried. Then it was opened to everyone. Finally the parents could be part of the cool club.

Its like a no girls tree fort. Every girl on the block wants to be apart of it.

It is like the episode of South Park where Cartmen buys a amusement park. To start off nobody is allowed in so then everyone wants in. Then after a few days he has to let a few people in per day, then a few more, then more... It takes the park from being dead before he bought it to being packed with people as everyone wants in then.

same here to a point. it was a secret club so people wanted in since they couldn't be part of it. Although it was also the fact that it was secret club that they wanted to be in it, as with myspace and the other sites you have everyone on there but with facebook it was more controlled so you didn't have to worry about everyone being on there. You didn't have to worry about all the childish stuff that you did on myspace. Then it openned up to everyone and all that changed.

Einstein failed his college entrance exam, is that genius? He got most of his ideas for his wild theories from reviewing relevant patents for his job, and there is never any real math to back them up! That is why almost every single one of them has been disproven:

1. Relativity
2. Equivilancy
3. Gravity
4. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light

It's easy to trick people into thinking you are a genius when they are not smart enough to understand your BS!
You're fucking dumb if you believe this.

I with the article to a point. Mark Z. obviously has some talent, I think many people are just a bit jaded regarding what it takes to be a genius nowadays.

Back