Revolution Controller!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventhough I said before that developers will be pissed, I'll still get the new Nintendo console. The reason is that the people who make new Metriod, Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Star Fox, Rogue Squadron, and other first party Nintendo games will make it work and their games will be more involving than we've ever seen before.

Yea they flat out said there'd be shells you can stick the remote into, so you can have your "controller" or whatever to make you feel secure. Im SURE developers will make certain theres a type of add on for everyone, JUST LIKE IT IS NOW.

I see the new Zelda.

I see hacking with a sword.............if you WANT TO.

I see flicking the boomerang...........if you WANT TO.

I see aiming the hookshot..............if you WANT TO.

Trust me. Trust Nintendo. Everyone shat themselves at the N64 controller. I sat through that. Everyone dissed MS's Xbox controller. They responded. Didn't stop the Xbox. Did it?

MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, NINTENDO MAKES GAMES FOR YOU.

Why oh why would they stop now. Gaming is a multimilliondollar industy and Nintendo has seen it rise. They have challenged gaming's capabilities since day one. More than anyone else, they've strived to make games for everyone, and they've DARED to stand out and try new things, while STAYING TRUE TO THE OLD. Trust Nintendo.

Woah, hold on there kiddies... How many of you who have once again proclaimed the death of Nintendo actually read about the controller and thought about the possiblities of it? I'll admit, my first thought was WTF, but then...

Imagine a first person Bushido Blade type game. Slashing, stabbing blocking and counter attacking.

Tilt the thing sideways and use it as a steering wheel for a racing game, or a yoke for a flight sim.

So when do you think Sony and MS will rip off Nintendo? They've done a good job with the analogue and rumble features so far. Nintendo has been the only company to truely innovate and, win or lose, I tip my hat once again to them for pushing the bar higher instead of just walking around it.

by the way the editors at ign sounded the tilting controller worked especially well for fps style gameplay. hoorah, its about time consoles get a decent input device for fps games. I'm stoked about it, at least nintendo is trying something different (360=no analog buttons but they added a "360 button" woohoo, and Sony's innovation is making the controller into a mini boomarang) I'm all for something new. You guys can slam it and talk about how lame it is, I'm looking forward to playing mariokart on it.

animosity said:
I hate you.

dude Im sorry you were born with a lack of hands or whatever but that is no excuse to thread crap. You must are not the majority in the gaming world, nor are you even a sigificant minority as far as marketing is concerned. Its like left handed people and many consumer electornic devices they get shafted but thats life.

MrIgoe said:
I see the new Zelda.

I see hacking with a sword.............if you WANT TO.

I see flicking the boomerang...........if you WANT TO.

I see aiming the hookshot..............if you WANT TO.

If' you're implying that you'll be able to use the GC controller for Revolution games, uh, no. We're stuck with this magic wand Nintendo calls a controller.

Trust Nintendo.

It's been 10 years since I last trusted them. It's done my gaming life very well. I'll continue to be skeptical until they start delivering great games again, instead of gimmickry hardware that disguises their lack of software innovation.

Terpfen said:
It's been 10 years since I last trusted them. It's done my gaming life very well. I'll continue to be skeptical until they start delivering great games again, instead of gimmickry hardware that disguises their lack of software innovation.
Eventhough at times they have provided gimmicky (DS most recent) hardware, they still deliver the goods. Advanced Wars, Kirby, and soon to be Metriod, Lunar and Mario Kart will prove this.

Killdozer said:
Eventhough at times they have provided gimmicky (DS most recent) hardware, they still deliver the goods. Advanced Wars, Kirby, and soon to be Metriod, Lunar and Mario Kart will prove this.

In other words... they deliver barely-changed sequels. People bash Final Fantasy for its sequelitis--well, at least each game is individually recognizable.

The only games you mention that look somewhat decent is Kirby, which is admittedly the first original and interesting application of the stylus, but is simultaneously completely out of character with its subject. Kirby inhales things and flies; he does not roll along a pre-drawn line.

I'm not mentioning the rest of the games, because I'm going to get plenty of flames for my two posts as-is.

ive been using a mouse with a gyroscope for years... and for most games it superior then a normal mouse. But games like counterstrike, bf2 etc. it really has ups and downs. Any of the quake and doom games though its soo good. being able to do a 180 turn with a flick of the wrist in complete control is awesome.

Terpfen said:
In other words... they deliver barely-changed sequels. People bash Final Fantasy for its sequelitis--well, at least each game is individually recognizable.

The only games you mention that look somewhat decent is Kirby, which is admittedly the first original and interesting application of the stylus, but is simultaneously completely out of character with its subject. Kirby inhales things and flies; he does not roll along a pre-drawn line.

I'm not mentioning the rest of the games, because I'm going to get plenty of flames for my two posts as-is.
Although I see your point, I do enjoy games that are based on the tried and true enjoy-ability of their predecessors. Kirby was the first one to really jump out of the bunch, but providing more of the same doesn't seem that bad to me if it's truly fun. Maybe this doesn't work for all people, but it sometimes it does work for me if I really did enjoy it the first time. I'm not trying to give developers a green light for every re-hash of a game, but what I'm trying to say is that they don't have to totally redesign it every time.

I thought wtf at first also... But the more I read about it the more I want it now. FPS are gonna be sweet on this thing, I never imagined a company would get around the hassle of using a keyboard/mouse while sitting in an armchair, while still providing the same(or maybe even better) feel.

I kind of like this design. Nintendo's always willing to go out of their way to make different things for a change, and often are the ones that take the beating when an idea doesn't turn out great. It almost seems as if ther other companies took a working design and improved it as the analyzed the more successful inventions from Nintendo.

For all the people who don't want to look retarded playing this: Come one now, you were/are a computer geek that was neglected in high school. Why not go the whole nine yards in your own private home (or with friends if you have any)? :D Also, I've seen too many geeks bustin' their groove on DDR at arcades everywhere yet they don't feel retarded. How strange.

And for those who're too lazy to lift their arms, and move them around: That's great. Have fun carrying your 300 lb. ass around all day and discovering symptoms of type II diabetes 10 years from now. Seriously, put some activity in what you do once in a while. Using this excuse is pretty pathetic to me, but that's just me.

This is amazing.

I can imagine actually getting an adrenaline rush in a game, which is awesome. Think of a sword-fighting game, final boss - a guy who is incredibly tough and has amazingly fast reflexes. You have to out-manuever him and be quicker. The thrill of attempting to beat him (and the progression) will be awesome. And then finally beating him! It's an entirely different thing to be able to use your whole body rather than simply your fingers. I expect it'll make game-playing feel incredibly more real and therefore more fun and engaging. Plus it'll be nice exercise.

There are so many other kinds of options for games that, if taken advantage of, could be the most fun and creative games ever. Sure, 2-d platformers won't play the same way, but there are so many more genre options that have never been explored before that now have the chance. If anything, you'll have to applaud the innovation. And really, it's hard to say that the software will suck when none of us have ever, in our lives, been exposed to the type of gameplay that will be available will this new type of hardware.

Before 3D cards, you couldn't have first-person-shooters. Think about that.

One thing I wish it would use, would be actual force feedback, not merely a "rumble/vibration" gimmick.

If anyone remembers the force feedback joysticks for computers (like microsoft's sidewinder) you know what i'm talking about.

It'd be sweet if you hit something, like say using a sword in a game, and you actually felt a force push the controller back and not merely a "vibration."

ok... what the hell kind of controller is that? kind of weak especially after being so psyched for the revolution after e3.

ro4ddogg said:
ok... what the hell kind of controller is that? kind of weak especially after being so psyched for the revolution after e3.

Weak? weak?!?!?!

How's it weak?

So to play all the games the Revo offers....I am going to have like 10 different configurations (x4 for multi player) AND up to four GC controllers that I have to keep handy?

pfft.

First warning. Keep it polite. If some people posting in this thread (and you know who you are) don't calm down, there is a distinct possibility of some nice vacation time from the forum. Keep the posts on topic.

I've never liked console gaming because i hate the controllers... I could never aim at ALL with those stupid joystick things for fps's. This controller looks cool to me... more mouselike.. they may even come out with a gun type controller designed specifically for fps's. I might have to try this out :)

i guess it all depends on how well it actually works.. Personally i hope it works well to keep the market competitive.

Well It looks like 4 players are going to have to sit pretty dang close together. And I have a RPTV, is this thing going to work with that?

I can see some games being very fun with this however. I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes over before I deside if I want to put my money down.

Mongoose

Didn't see this posted yet, should put some minds at ease:

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

Terpfen said:

no one has been innovative with software though..

Has NIntendo Eveery made a Bad Controller? No
Our NIntendos Controllers always better than others? Yes

You guys have never ven held the thing. How do you know if its good or not. If ya look at the thing you will notice that, the controller is not used as a remote. It can be used the same as the origional Nintendo or Gameboy Controller. Just because its not a direct copy of the Standard Game controller does not mean it will be bad.

You guys may doubt this, but It is going to Rule, Because NIntendo always comes out with the Best Products.

Can any game Beat any Zelda? Sorry but no it cant.

Oh yeah, The controller, Both of the are 100% ambidextrouse. Seems like a Winner to me.

I cant wait to get one, Just watch the Video on Gamespot

Scotch77 said:

You guys have never ven held the thing. How do you know if its good or not. If ya look at the thing you will notice that, the controller is not used as a remote. It can be used the same as the origional Nintendo or Gameboy Controller. Just because its not a direct copy of the Standard Game controller does not mean it will be bad.

You guys may doubt this, but It is going to Rule, Because NIntendo always comes out with the Best Products.

Oh yeah, The controller, Both of the are 100% ambidextrouse. Seems like a Winner to me.

:D sorry but you sound like a nintendo phanbhoy. more power to ya ;)

as for the controller, it has potential. I will buy it if it has good reviews, but if they fail, Nintendo will regret it for making a revolutionary console :(

The controller with the analog stick kind of reminds me of the SEGA fishing controller. Has anyone else noticed this?

Scotch77 said:

Definately a !!!!!! response. IMO Nintendo hasn't made a good game controller since SNES, I didn't like the N64 or Gamecube controller very much.

Scotch77 said:

I always hated the N64 controller and then Gamcube controller, so ya, please make sure you represent you opinions as opinions and not fact. ;)

I kind of like this design. Nintendo's always willing to go out of their way to make different things for a change, and often are the ones that take the beating when an idea doesn't turn out great. It almost seems as if ther other companies took a working design and improved it as the analyzed the more successful inventions from Nintendo.

For all the people who don't want to look retarded playing this: Come one now, you were/are a computer geek that was neglected in high school. Why not go the whole nine yards in your own private home (or with friends if you have any)? Also, I've seen too many geeks bustin' their groove on DDR at arcades everywhere yet they don't feel retarded. How strange.

And for those who're too lazy to lift their arms, and move them around: That's great. Have fun carrying your 300 lb. ass around all day and discovering symptoms of type II diabetes 10 years from now. Seriously, put some activity in what you do once in a while. Using this excuse is pretty pathetic to me, but that's just me.

I agree with you. Ive been reading through these posts a day later, and how the hell can all of you proclaim 'the death of Nintendo' after seeing the controller of its new console??! Are you like able to forsee the future becuase I cant. Im not saying that difference of opinion is bad, but cmon already, cant we stray away from the 'standard controller and keyboard/mouse' setup? Why are you all afraid of change? Have you ever seen a controller like this? No. Is it a new design that should be able to radically change how one plays games.

Shakezilla said:
I always hated the N64 controller and then Gamcube controller, so ya, please make sure you represent you opinions as opinions and not fact. ;)

It is Fact becasue you are Insane not to like those controllers.

What do you like the origional X-box

As I'm sure many before me have said what I'm going to say, but anywho...

This thing reeks of of design flaws. Many video games depend on pressing multiple buttons and pressing them repeatedly at the same time. This thing just doesn't do that. I already have trouble moving up and down between the arrow buttons and the numbad with one hand on my tivo remote, how is the A, B, C buttons being so far apart going to help? Yes, I do see the 2 trigger buttons (one for each hand), but that only gives you the possibility of accessable buttons. Whereas, with a sony PS1, PS2, controller, I'm able to hit 4 triggers and 2 face buttons easily.

"Rather than playing the next "Mario" or "Zelda" game with a two-handed controller, you will use a device that more closely resembles a television remote control. The wireless unit, using internal sensors, will translate your wrist and hand movements into onscreen actions."

I'm not sure about you, but when I'm smashing buttons, my controller shakes and moves all over the place. I can't keep a normal gamepad still, how are these "internal sensors" are going to help? The "internal [senensor]" is useless unless you're playing jack-off 3. I can just see myself running off cliffs, walls, ropes, etc and into pits because I had to sneeze.

"This is an extremely exciting innovation -- one that will thrill current players and entice new ones," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in a statement."

The controller look awful. Ofcourse, we were told never to judge a book by its cover, but I am sure you would agree that the first impression is also the most important, and I'm sure the first impression about this thing would be "wtf?" like so many people have hear after looking at the picture. You know what would thrill me? Putting the select button back in. NES controller had it, SNES controller had it (they were successful), nintendo64 didn't, gamecube doesnt. Atleast Nintendo did something right with this new controller.

Reading further down, we get this: "What I believe many developers will choose to do is take full advantage of the telescopic and movement aspects of this controller and make it so games are not very button dependent," predicted Fils-Aime." This explains why i'm already hating this controller. I enjoy smashing buttons as a past time, I don't see why they need to get rid of it unless.... that's right, they want developers to make nintendo-only games. If you have something the competitors don't have, and you convince people to develop games with these features in mind, these games would not translate well to other machines unless they had something similar to it. So Nintendo is betting on A) Get lots of developers to use the features of this controller, thus getting lots of unique games and ultimately sales or B) Force other console developers (Sony, Xbox to be specific) to make a similar controller, thus putting nintendo in the spotlight. But all of this can blow up in their face because the answer to every and any multiple choice is "none of the above" and "none of the above" looks very likely to be the answer

Part 2 coming later

^
Phan Boy!
Wow, N64 was a great controller but the GC Controller I hated.
I wont make my opinion until I hold and use the thing but I will say my first impression is filled with mixed emotion. The Revolution has caught my eye just because of its massive backwards compatibility though so it will be on my list of Nex Gen consoles.
I will also say that my favorite controllers are the Original Xbox and Dream cast controllers, I loved those things.
And Fan Boy Saying Zelda is the best game ever allready drained your credibility.

Anyone notice that in the pictures, the 2 buttons on the bottom are b and a, but in the IGN video, they're x and y? Wonder what one's final.

Komataguri said:
*cough GTA cough*

GTA's been using the same gameplay mechanics, albeit good ones, since the first one in 1997.

I agree. Strip away the pretty graphics and the software's been mostly the same for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back