Retail Edge 2007!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got 12000 points today, now I need to get verified.
Does anyone know if I can do that through email? I don't have a fax machine.

Right now I have 9500 chips can I just go ahead and register so I can verify my employment. I want to get the 12,000 q6700 bundle.

Right now I have 9500 chips can I just go ahead and register so I can verify my employment. I want to get the 12,000 q6700 bundle.
You probably don't have enough time to get the Q6700. Unless you can get like 3X points in December you don't have enough time to make up 2500 chips... I would fax my info now.

they havent added the december challanges or quizzes or anything....its double point december!

they havent added the december challanges or quizzes or anything....its double point december!
True, but read the fine print. I bet it's only for people with just enough points to qualify for the Q6600

Hey all. To the people who have recieved their bundles, what paste are you using. I ordered some as5 and am now thinking of maybe getting some MX-2. Which compound would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

I'll probably end up using Shin Etsu paste, not sure if I'm going to lap it yet... I'm curious as well about what other people are using.:confused:

I have used Coollaboratory Liquid PRO, AS5, Ceramique, MX-2 and generic pastes like those included with 3rd party heatsinks. Generic performance (mostly silicone compounds) was lackluster. AS5 was better but takes ~200 hrs to properly set, is a mess to clean up (very viscous) and has silver particles and therefore the possibility of electrical capacitance if it oozes onto the circuitboard. Ceramique I used on my AC Silencer 4 VGA ramsink and performance was similar to AS5 but was easier to clean and had a much shorter set time of ~25 hrs. It also does not use electrically conductive/capacitive
particles according to Arctic SIlver's website. MX-2 I got for the Q6700 bundle (should be arriving via UPS 2nd day tomorrow). I tested it on my hotter than the core of the sun P4 Prescott and it dropped temps below the cured AS5 by ~3°C. It is easier to spread than even the Ceramique, is not capacitive/conductive and has no curing time. I was also considering the Asaka AK TC-5022 and Shin Etsu X23-7762 but the price, performance and availability of the MX-2 lead me to choose it for the new setup. The Liquid PRO was the best performing of the TIM's I've used but it is an absolute pain in the butox to work with and uses gallium which eats through aluminum heatsinks like a knife through butter. I could not get it to spread on my CPU at all and out of an entire syringe I was only able to get it to spread over my GPU, which is where it currently resides. It dropped my temps of my X800XT from 42°C idle to 35°C idle. I would, however never use it or recommend it again based on my experience with it and the fact that it is both capacative and conductive (it is liquid metal after all). Hope this helped with some of the questions many of you may have had.

Looking for 2nd opinion on the newest intel deal. The DG33TL and the Q6700, what a flaky board this is! I first turn it on and the Bios shows the processor speed at 1.60GHZ plus the Processor Temp at anywhere from 1.00C to 18.00C and it never changes!! So I have NO IDEA what I am actually running at, I can only assume its the typical 27C to 40C that intel runs at. Yes I've updated to the latest BIOS listed on intel's website.

Has anyone else had any problems with this board? I want to verify its a flake before I try and RMA the board.

I saw the rig setup in the signature and have a question for all using the ASUS P5B Deluxe wifi

WHY?
That's a 965 north bridge. And an ICH8R southbridge

Why not something like the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R with a P35 northbridge, ICH9R southbridge, 6 SATA ports and 2 eSATA ports?

Because the performance difference when compared to a top performing 965 board is +/-3% at best.
For future compatability, of course, P35 is the way to go. But many of the 965 boards out there have 6 SATA ports and you can pick up an eSATA bracket for a few bucks to turn any two of them into external ports.
I won't be moving over to P35 until I switch to DDR3 and seeing as how I just purchased 2x2GB DDR2 sticks...it won't be this year...

Looking for 2nd opinion on the newest intel deal. The DG33TL and the Q6700, what a flaky board this is! I first turn it on and the Bios shows the processor speed at 1.60GHZ plus the Processor Temp at anywhere from 1.00C to 18.00C and it never changes!! So I have NO IDEA what I am actually running at, I can only assume its the typical 27C to 40C that intel runs at. Yes I've updated to the latest BIOS listed on intel's website.

Has anyone else had any problems with this board? I want to verify its a flake before I try and RMA the board.

Does the system post and boot into Windows?
Many newer boards have multiple temperature sensors...are you reading the right one?
Easiest way to find the CPU sensor is to pull up MBM or speedfan or whatever you are using to report the temp in Windows. Then load up prime95 or toast to heat things up. You should see one of the temps rising steadily (probably going up 10ºC within a few mins).

That is wierd about it running at 1.6Ghz though. Do you have thermal throttling on, perhaps?

Because the performance difference when compared to a top performing 965 board is +/-3% at best.
For future compatability, of course, P35 is the way to go. But many of the 965 boards out there have 6 SATA ports and you can pick up an eSATA bracket for a few bucks to turn any two of them into external ports.
I won't be moving over to P35 until I switch to DDR3 and seeing as how I just purchased 2x2GB DDR2 sticks...it won't be this year...

IC, I look to the future. The board I mentioned is DDR3 compat (rev 2 )
Can't wait for it to come out.

I saw the rig setup in the signature and have a question for all using the ASUS P5B Deluxe wifi

WHY?
That's a 965 north bridge. And an ICH8R southbridge

Why not something like the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R with a P35 northbridge, ICH9R southbridge, 6 SATA ports and 2 eSATA ports?
I took this board for a few reasons.
1: I got it cheap last year at a closing CompUSA: $125
2: I was using it for my E6300 from last year.
3: OC's well, with plenty of options in the BIOS, and runs well and cool.
4: reliable, and I know all my parts work with it, has plenty of SATA ports
4.a.: Has the built in wifi that's actually pretty decent. My system is kinda in the middle of the room, so running an ethernet cable is... undesirable.
5: The [H] review.

Things I would change:
Trade Crossfire for SLI
Re-arrange the PCI and PCI-EX1 slots.
Drop the terrible engrish in the manual and BIOS

Things that don't matter:
-DDR3 support. This cpu cannot take advantage of DDR3 speeds at the OC's I will use (3.0 is about all I want), and they have a stock fsb of 266mhz.. When would I ever get this proc up to 1066 speeds? Why?

Hey guys,
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it looks like there is another way to overclock your cpu on the dg33tl.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132900

If you click on the link, its a mod where you use a silver pen to connect 2 of the pins in order to 'trick' the motherboard into thinking the processor actually has a 333mhz fsb instead of the 266mhz bus the q6600 comes with.

If your processor can handle the extra speed at stock voltages then...
This would effectively bring your clock speeds from 266 x 9 = 2.4ghz to 333 x 9 = 3ghz

I'm thinking about trying this, if anyone has any input (especially on this motherboard) let me know! It also might be important to add I have the G0 revision and my stock voltage is ~ 1.3v

Hey guys,
If you click on the link, its a mod where you use a silver pen to connect 2 of the pins in order to 'trick' the motherboard into thinking the processor actually has a 333mhz fsb instead of the 266mhz bus the q6600 comes with.

This would effectively bring your clock speeds from 266 x 9 = 2.4ghz to 333 x 9 = 3ghz

I'm thinking about trying this, if anyone has any input (especially on this motherboard) let me know! It also might be important to add I have the G0 revision and my stock voltage is ~ 1.3v

Yeah, about that... I waited too long too get this chip. I'll probably hock the board on EBAY and nab an EVGA board for it for an almost even trade, or just throw a 6420 on there to fold away! I know hoobie7 would be interested in it though...

Would anyone have any links to benchmarks of our bundle mobo?

I found this: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3111&p=1 but its useless

I'd actually be interested in some benchmarks against the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R or your other favorite mobo (comparable to the DS3R).

I plan on getting a good video card so I'm not worried about integrated graphics, and I don't plan on overclocking for a long time. Right now I am interested in the stock performance and comparisons, however I would like quantified results as opposed to opinions (thus benchmarks). :p

Kinda wondering if its worth keeping it or hockin it on ebay if the other mobos are much better...:D
Thanks

Does the system post and boot into Windows?
Many newer boards have multiple temperature sensors...are you reading the right one?
Easiest way to find the CPU sensor is to pull up MBM or speedfan or whatever you are using to report the temp in Windows. Then load up prime95 or toast to heat things up. You should see one of the temps rising steadily (probably going up 10ºC within a few mins).

That is wierd about it running at 1.6Ghz though. Do you have thermal throttling on, perhaps?

The processor thermal margin is the CPU temp correct, I would assume its called a margin due to multiple cores? In the DG965WH and D945PSN, they both said CPU Temp. Speedfan seems to display a more correct temperature range of 35*C for Core 1 and Core 3, Cores 2 and Core 4 both show 28*C. I am concerned that the bios is not reading the temperatures correctly and that the speed randomly showing up as 1.60.I have no idea where thermal throttling would be in the BIOS. Here is the even weirder issue, I've notice as I use the bored the bios seems to show more accurate information.

I will probably ended at some point buying a Zalman fan along with a fan controller/temperature probe. I've used Zalman Fans on last years core 2 duo and the Pentium D the year before that.

Would anyone have any links to benchmarks of our bundle mobo?

I found this: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3111&p=1 but its useless

I'd actually be interested in some benchmarks against the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R or your other favorite mobo (comparable to the DS3R).

I plan on getting a good video card so I'm not worried about integrated graphics, and I don't plan on overclocking for a long time. Right now I am interested in the stock performance and comparisons, however I would like quantified results as opposed to opinions (thus benchmarks). :p

Kinda wondering if its worth keeping it or hockin it on ebay if the other mobos are much better...:D
Thanks
Unless we generate them, you probably won't find any links. I mean, why would you benchmark a quad core on this kind of board? Benchmarks are for gaming, and this is no gaming board.

Hey guys,
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it looks like there is another way to overclock your cpu on the dg33tl.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132900

goodness! No guts here to try that. But what works for you....

I'm 25 points short! You've got to be kidding me. Let this new December quiz out of the box already!

what is this great year end prize?
rofl. Last year it was a temporary tattoo that looked like a C2D die, and a cardboard placard with a congratulations on it.
The year before it was a hatpin for getting 10,000 points.

what is this great year end prize?

ok, someone beat me to it, BUT

I have told my Intel rep, it needs to be something worth wile for those who break 25K or 30K

Like QX6800 bundle or any top of the line chip for that year

something un attainable for all except those that have been with the program for the whole year since January of any year.

Like the top 10% club or top 50 point earners

but so far, no such luck

ok, someone beat me to it, BUT

I have told my Intel rep, it needs to be something worth wile for those who break 25K or 30K

Like QX6800 bundle or any top of the line chip for that year

something un attainable for all except those that have been with the program for the whole year since January of any year.

Like the top 10% club or top 50 point earners

but so far, no such luck
That's a neat idea, but it's not balanced. Take myself for instance. I have ~18-19K points. I have done every quiz and article every month since january '05, on time. I have dl'd all I can and signed on enough. But because there were ZERO live events near me (I live in Detroit, and the closest was Chicago or Minneapolis), I cannot get the 27,000 points I've seen. I have no idea how people get that many, but it seems fishy.

That's a neat idea, but it's not balanced. Take myself for instance. I have ~18-19K points. I have done every quiz and article every month since january '05, on time. I have dl'd all I can and signed on enough. But because there were ZERO live events near me (I live in Detroit, and the closest was Chicago or Minneapolis), I cannot get the 27,000 points I've seen. I have no idea how people get that many, but it seems fishy.

it's a yearly basis. our counters will reset Jan 1st

I have heard of guys traveling 5 hours to get to an event before
here in Houston, we have at least 1 per quarter.
We have had people from Brownsville (bottom tip of Texas near Mexico) come out here for 500 chips and a chance at door prizes

but that alone is 2000 points for 4 events

4 logins a month = 400 points
4 tool kit downloads per month (doesn't matter if theyre the same) = 400 points
1000 per challange (there was a double chalange this year)
250 per article (there were 2 hidden in the gamer's corner this year)
and 500 for updating / confirming your profile

It all adds up

I think there is one person out there that has 100 points more than me for the entire Best Buy chain of stores.
Hacks me off to think I missed a login

it's a yearly basis. our counters will reset Jan 1st

I have heard of guys traveling 5 hours to get to an event before
here in Houston, we have at least 1 per quarter.
We have had people from Brownsville (bottom tip of Texas near Mexico) come out here
but that alone is 2000 points for 4 events

4 logins a month = 400 points
4 tool kit downloads per month (doesn't matter if theyre the same) = 400 points
1000 per challange (there was a double chalange this year)
250 per article (there were 2 hidden in the gamer's corner this year)
and 500 for updating / confirming your profile

It all adds up

I think there is one person out there that has 100 points more than me for the entire Best Buy chain of stores.
Hacks me off to think I missed a login

So if my math is correct, your max possible points for doing the website stuff is 26,600 points. So I'll agree with you that if you get over 25k, it's a valid award. But 30k would suck, since people like me are nowhere near live events. Sucks too, as I enjoyed the one I went to last year.

naw, 30K will be an accident, like Intel offering double points for the challenge and article this month
Looking at about 30,300 this year if the double points is offered to me.

Last year I had 29,900

you're all crazy. i say wait till the end of each year, do the quizes, get your bundle, and smile... knowing you arent #1 but also you didnt waste a whole freakin year dedicating yourself to getting the most points possible out of anyone... even tho there's always gunna be one dude out there who SOMEHOW how more points then you.

Also quick Question - has anyone RMA'd stuff before through intel? I was on the phone with them last thursday about replacing my board... it was "out of stock" and im supposed to get an email but no word yet... anyone have any idea how long this whole process normally takes? Once its in stock, any idea how long for THAT process? I'm just frustrated. If i would've known i would've got a dead crappy board and have nothing in December... i would've waited to go from q6600 to q6700... this sucks

Also quick Question - has anyone RMA'd stuff before through intel? I was on the phone with them last thursday about replacing my board... it was "out of stock" and im supposed to get an email but no word yet... anyone have any idea how long this whole process normally takes? Once its in stock, any idea how long for THAT process? I'm just frustrated. If i would've known i would've got a dead crappy board and have nothing in December... i would've waited to go from q6600 to q6700... this sucks

Haven't RMA'd anything but it sounds like they don't want to give you a number till it's in stock. Then it should be 2-3 weeks if so.

According to UPS.com,

Tracking Number: 1Z 651 494 03 xxxx xxx x
Type: Package
Rescheduled Delivery: 12/05/2007
Shipped To: HOUSTON, TX, US
Shipped/Billed On: 11/29/2007
Service: GROUND
Weight: 6.00 Lbs

My bundle had already arrived in Houston; however, they will not deliver it until the 5th. :(

So its going to sit in a warehouse until then.... :eek::mad:

Yay! Pack arrived Friday and I hooked everything up. Everything is blazing fast! :D

Check the sig.

Only on a reg 19" normal screen so I can run crysis at very high 2xAA with very playable framerates. They dip down to 15-25 with 4xAA, then unplayable at 8xAA... it's fine though. Looks fabulous. :p

Thank you intel for this deal.

25overclockforQ6700.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm not sure how to decipher the Speedfan. I did a 25% OC off the bat, and used AS5 because it was the most available. Also I'm using the Aquagate S1 by Coolermaster to cool it.

Oh yeah, GOT MY Q6700 TODAY!!!!
(my buddy who ordered his on Friday did as well... I ordered it over two weeks ago!) Still have a $600 proc!:D

What do you guys think? I'm not sure how to decipher the Speedfan. I did a 25% OC off the bat, and used AS5 because it was the most available. Also I'm using the Aquagate S1 by Coolermaster to cool it.
Speedfan isn't liking my q9700 either. Try everest instead. It 's giving me much better looking temps (30's instead of teens).

According to UPS.com,

Tracking Number: 1Z 651 494 03 xxxx xxx x
Type: Package
Rescheduled Delivery: 12/05/2007
Shipped To: HOUSTON, TX, US
Shipped/Billed On: 11/29/2007
Service: GROUND
Weight: 6.00 Lbs

My bundle had already arrived in Houston; however, they will not deliver it until the 5th. :(

So its going to sit in a warehouse until then.... :eek::mad:

If it's not too much trouble for you...you can "will-call" it and pick it up today.
Just give ups a call to find out which sub station it's at by your tracking number.
Bring your ID !

where does intel ship out of? im in CT and i hope this thing doesnt ship out of cali which takes weeks to get, and it prob will

where does intel ship out of? im in CT and i hope this thing doesnt ship out of cali which takes weeks to get, and it prob will

Depends on what distributor they are using, I got mine from a little town south of Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. Can't remember the name though.

how long did it take you all to get verified once you faxed? i just sent in the other day for mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back