Retail Edge 2007!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: * With my best buy discount you think I can get away with a quick 2gb of PC5400 RAM and still get some dam good performance while i wait for my 4gb Ballistix? (not good, i mean like rape-good) ? you think the 2gb will still fly considering the awesome Quad-core setup? (not worried about gaming)

You probably won't notice much of a difference between the two. The 5300 has the same fsb as the cpu, so it won't limit your speed. Depends on the latency I guess.

thanks man. Ive never had my own computer before so i didnt wanna even TOUCH my quad-core computer until i have it exploding with awesomeness with an 8800gt, 4gb ballistix, etc etc.............. but the wait is killing me so im gunna settle for the 2gb PNY pc5400 poopie sticks until my ballistix come in. Just dont wanna be disappointed to have it be slow as my current family computer (Athlon xp 2400, 1gb pc2700, GeForce FX5500 - but running Windows XP, not Vista)

man im so mad! my bundle is coming in today!... I got my Antec 900 last night... my 22inch monitor and HDD are both also coming in today!... I got my 700w PSU last night... got my desk, keyboard, mouse, speakers, DVD Burner, Graphics card, and power-strip and a new chair and everything you could possibly think of ......... EXCEPT MY MEMORY HASNT COME IN YET~!!!

Question: * With my best buy discount you think I can get away with a quick 2gb of PC5400 RAM and still get some dam good performance while i wait for my 4gb Ballistix? you think the 2gb will still fly considering the awesome Quad-core setup? (not worried about gaming)

Yeah, you'll be OK if ya do that.
Not much changes between 667 and 800
But 2 to 4 gig on multiple apps, there's where the difference will be.

Not harping, but watch your "descriptions"
I'd edit if I were you.

im prolly just gunna use whatever the crap comes in the box with it cuzzz i dont know anything about HS's or anything. Maybe if it sucks horribly ill run up and buy one for like a penny with my discount

in South County, St. Louis Missouri we have a heatsink w/ fan there... (unless im imagining things) whether it fits the Quad-Core i have NO idea. I dont know much about that. i was told tho that the bundle comes w/ a heatsink

The processor does come with a heatsink, a massive one at that. I couldn't find thermal paste in the box though, so that may be something you want to consider investing in (it comes with thermal strips, but still).

Right now I'm settling with a 7200 RPM hard drive and 4GB PC5300 RAM. It will grow, thoguh.

Also, does anybody know what to do if my motherboard / CPU does not work? I have a feeling it might not (UPS guy is an ass and chucked the box down on my porch).

Yeah cause we dont have any at the woodbridge, nj store in the years ive been there.

Mine left Illinois last night around 6PM.. arrived here at 9:30 this morning. Gotta love that next day air.

So I came home to a nice package sitting on my doorstep, and to my joy the Q6600 was SLACR!!!!! yeah for G0 Stepping. Using a Zalman 9700 cooler and it never goes above, 26C (No Lapping for me :) )

BTW GL for the next group 45000-and up. (Not sure the exact number atm, too excited lol)

as you know ... it came in today... and all i can say is....

O MY GOD ITS FREAKING FAST HOLY CRAP. Living in the days of an Athlon 2400+ are gone. It's almost too fast. Theres no wait time for ANYTHING.

Only downside i'd say was that absolutely nothing worked right off the bat after installing Windows. After an hour or so of driver installs - it's blazing like freakin chicken wings in my pants OMGGGGGG

Four Gigs of DDR-800, check
650W Power Supply, check
8800GT, check
Sexy silent case, check
Dual 320gb SATA in RAID0, check
Arctic Silver, Check
Q6700 - showing up tomorrow.

Spending under $700 for a kick-ass computer, priceless.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ITS FAST now my WiFi is working and im writting from my new COMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

O MY GOD ITS FREAKING FAST HOLY CRAP. Living in the days of an Athlon 2400+ are gone. It's almost too fast. Theres no wait time for ANYTHING.

Only downside i'd say was that absolutely nothing worked right off the bat after installing Windows. After an hour or so of driver installs - it's blazing like freakin chicken wings in my pants OMGGGGGG

LOL

You can always fold on it. That will help make it slower for you. :p

ok lmao... ONE MORE THING....

so right now on my quad core im listening to Black Dahliah Murder in 5.1 HD Surround... Recording a show on channel 11 in my local town in HD... downloading music from iTunes... downloading windows updates... installing Nero Burning Rom, watching another show in a small box(video only, no sound) and have internet explorer and AIM running ALLLLLL at once and i can do ANYTHING with absolutely noooo slow-down!!!!! If i wanted to, i could click CoD4 and it would load in seconds. GODDDDDDD i love you quad core! Good luck again to you guys who are still waiting!!! Basically this thing is a multitasker's dream. On my Athlon 2400+ i could run internet explorer, AIM, and sometimes windows media player... after that it would be like watching the grass grow it would be so slow. <3 ok ill stop

interesting just got mine together not happy at all so far... my cpu temperature is showing as rediculous (59C), just for reference i ran about half that idle with my 5000+ overclocked on a 9500. Room temp is cool, ive played with over 15 heatsinks in the past year so im positive this things mounted well. Can someone else with a q6600 (i do have a g0, im almost done installing windows and ill pull down core temp) verify the bios temps are whacked out?

I just find this so extremely odd. The temperature also has not changed from the time I turn on my system to the vista install and reboot (its showing a solid 59C). The top of the heatsink is cool to the touch so Im thinking its either 1) something w/ the diode or 2) something with the firmware thats on here...

Update... just flashed the board up and its still showing 59c, this is driving me nuts. Even around the socket its cool to the touch.

The processor does come with a heatsink, a massive one at that. I couldn't find thermal paste in the box though, so that may be something you want to consider investing in (it comes with thermal strips, but still).

Right now I'm settling with a 7200 RPM hard drive and 4GB PC5300 RAM. It will grow, thoguh.

Also, does anybody know what to do if my motherboard / CPU does not work? I have a feeling it might not (UPS guy is an ass and chucked the box down on my porch).

The thermal paste is already on the heatsink, you dont need to apply anymore. You can always pick up some as5 or something and clean the hsf then apply that.... Im having a hell of a time w/ my temps and a decent aftermarket cooler so im going to be having a late night from the looks...

Update: All set the stupid firmware is reporting a temp thats not even remotely accurate. What a relief!

lmao last consecutive post i promise, here i am panicking i run core temp and im at 27C.... WTF.. I take it the intel temperature probe in the bios is whacked out... beautiful!!! Nothing like freaking out over absolutely nothing!!!

HOLY CRAPPPP i need someone's help IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok so i had my q6600 set up all day... workin perfectly.... i was watchin TV on it with my tuner-usb thing..... listening to music....... got all the windows updates.... etc etc everything was perfect.......

Then i decided on my Antec 900 case to try and plug the microphone in... and the whole thing just shuts off and wont turn back on!!!!!!! I took it to geek squad to use their tools, the power supply is good, theres no capacitors on the motherboard that are blown... all the connects are and were in the right place.... WHAT DID I DO WRONG OR WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! it will not power on AT ALL!??? ANYONe have an idea why or how a microphone (non-usb) could do this?!

You flipped the master power switch on the back of your PSU.

Hah, I'm kidding. Sorry, I had to say it.

I've got no real advice for you though. I hope you laughed though.

See if their is a bios update.

This is more frequent among DFI motherboards, however it is possible that Intel has a bios error as well.

BTW: For over clockers what boards are you guys using? I'm thinking of getting up to 3.2 ghz on my q6700, Anyone try to over clock the dg33tl using software yet?

i for real need any advice possible im freakin out so ill repeat it

HOLY CRAPPPP i need someone's help IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok so i had my q6600 set up all day... workin perfectly.... i was watchin TV on it with my tuner-usb thing..... listening to music....... got all the windows updates.... etc etc everything was perfect.......

Then i decided on my Antec 900 case to try and plug the microphone in... and the whole thing just shuts off and wont turn back on!!!!!!! I took it to geek squad to use their tools, the power supply is good, theres no capacitors on the motherboard that are blown... all the connects are and were in the right place.... WHAT DID I DO WRONG OR WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! it will not power on AT ALL!??? ANYONe have an idea why or how a microphone (non-usb) could do this?!

ANYONE's help would be super appreciated i'd literally paypal you some money

Well, try the basic stuff. Reset the BIOS to begin with. Is your board getting power, any LED's that light up when power is there? If you have spare parts, try switching some out, worth a shot. Good luck!

yes when i switch the power on... theres a green light on the motherboard that lights up. also the power-LED on my Antec 900 lights up. (or doesnt light up based on which way i have the switch plugged into the mobo). Nothing happens when i click it. I've switched out every part except the processor and motherboard (cuz who has a spare quad-core sitting around and a motherboard compatible with one) No dice. IS THERE ANY CHANCEEE that the switch on the Antec case blew? cuz the microphone jack is RIGHT next to it and now it doesnt work? if so,,, you think tryin another case (which i'd have to buy) would work? or you think since im getting lights, its prolly not the switch?

yes when i switch the power on... theres a green light on the motherboard that lights up. also the power-LED on my Antec 900 lights up. (or doesnt light up based on which way i have the switch plugged into the mobo). Nothing happens when i click it. I've switched out every part except the processor and motherboard (cuz who has a spare quad-core sitting around and a motherboard compatible with one) No dice. IS THERE ANY CHANCEEE that the switch on the Antec case blew? cuz the microphone jack is RIGHT next to it and now it doesnt work? if so,,, you think tryin another case (which i'd have to buy) would work? or you think since im getting lights, its prolly not the switch?

I would have to say that the button/switch on the case might be broken.

yes, change cases

and take it slow and easy

no coffee or monster drinks with ginsing for you!

You can try overriding the power switch by following where it connects to the motherboard and jumping the 2 pins it connects to with something metal for a second, it will do the same thing as pushing the button.

if the motherboard really was fried.... what would be some signs i would know? that would i dont go through all the trouble of sending the case back, getting another one, setting it all up. and finding out it doesnt work?

if the motherboard really was fried.... what would be some signs i would know? that would i dont go through all the trouble of sending the case back, getting another one, setting it all up. and finding out it doesnt work?

If I had to make a guess, it sounds like something arc'd and it fried either the motherboard or processor. The fact that it shut off when you plugged in the microphone and turns on, but nothing comes up is the common sign of one of those two things. Are there any POST beeps?

cinnaminbuns576

Just a thought. Was it a brand new case or from another system?

I ask because I have used the same case for 3 bundles now

year 1 and 2, the boards went in fine

this year, because of uATX MB config, I had to re-align the MB mounting posts.

if you had an old case, and did not reconfig the posts, when you plugged in the mic, you mostlikely arced the board on an un-used mounting post touching the board.

Hope this isn't the situation for you. If it is, you're done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050&Tpk=GA-P35-DS3R

Order 137449xx shipped out late last night and arrived in Calgary, Canada today and is on the truck for delivery. Looks like were coming to the end of the 137944xxx order series.:D

if i had an a cd for Vista Home Prem. 64bit anyone know if the cd key from this bundle would work on it?

cinnaminbuns576

Just a thought. Was it a brand new case or from another system?

I ask because I have used the same case for 3 bundles now

year 1 and 2, the boards went in fine

this year, because of uATX MB config, I had to re-align the MB mounting posts.

if you had an old case, and did not reconfig the posts, when you plugged in the mic, you mostlikely arced the board on an un-used mounting post touching the board.

Hope this isn't the situation for you. If it is, you're done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050&Tpk=GA-P35-DS3R

LoL, i got it right up there in my post. I'm using the Antec 900 case. the from microphone jack is Nooooowhereeee near the motherboard - its literally like a foot away from the motherboard, so i dont know how i could've arced it when i plugged it in. Also i did realign the pins so it was properly mounted and grounded. I had geeksquad at best buy look at it and they said i installed it correctly. I'm just wondering what the hell is going on with it... cuz if i have to send it to Intel.... #1 thats a long ass wait... #2... who knows if they'll come back and say "sorry its fried"... #3... what if they replace it and it turns out the quad processor is fried too...

i for real need any advice possible im freakin out so ill repeat it

ANYONE's help would be super appreciated i'd literally paypal you some money

Only thing I can think of is that you had the internal audio cable plugged into a USB header and when you plugged in your mic you shorted the header and the MB immediately powered off to (hopefully) protect it from damage.

Try pulling ALL of your internal USB and audio cables and reset the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back