Rest In Piece, VR Review Section

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Loose Nut, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

One year ago today the VR section had its last review :(
    https://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vr/

Go visit with it today, let it know you cared.
    Put on your VR headset out of respect if you wish.

Araxie and Dayaks like this.
  2. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

3. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

haven't you heard, VR gaming is dying...actually was never fully alive to begin with...

jmilcher and Araxie like this.
  4. Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D [H]Lite

5. TheSmJ

TheSmJ 2[H]4U

I've yet to find proof that VR is dying.

6. dreamwriter

dreamwriter Limp Gawd

That seems a bit premature, given that tetherless, self-contained headsets are just now on the horizon, and much higher resolution displays still to come. People make decisions on the basis of features, and the features are just beginning to arrive. When VR looks indistinguishable from real life, I think you'll see much more interest.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

I pretty much only game in VR these days - just downloaded Kona and can't wait to give it a go. There are a ton of games out to review in VR, would love to see the [H] treament on them.

8. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Yeah...no. It's still niche, sure, but there are new games coming out all the time. Budget Cuts finally got released, H3VR is updated weekly or bi-weekly with new content and is better than ever. Beat Saber is huge right now.

9. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

if those are the showcase VR games then it'll remain niche forever :D ...I literally never heard of any of those and unless you own a VR headset I doubt most people have

10. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Been plenty of more games to cover, just not any hardware pusing it. We will start again when 1180 hits the ground. The time and effort it takes to cover one game in VR is friggin huge. It would easily eat an entire workweek up. I do have the new Vive Pro headsets here to test with, so as soon as we have new NVIDIA hardware on the ground, we will start again. The fact is there not much of a story to tell here currently.

IKV1476, tungt88, IRSmurf and 5 others like this.
  11. Bankie

Bankie [H]ard|Gawd

Hey Kyle, I know you just said that VR testing is a ton of work but last we saw in VR the AMD cards were generally far worse than NV's less-powerful offerings and we've not seen Vega or whether driver updates have helped AMD in the past year so that would be good info. A small update article with just the 580, 1060, Vega, and 1080 would be interesting.

Ripskin and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  12. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Did I miss an article about the Vive Pro headset?

Have you used it? Do you like it?

The resolution is the one thing I don't like about my Rift. Maybe also that it feels like the screens are installed ever so slightly cockeyed in the headset.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Nothing published yet. It kicks ass.

14. TheSmJ

TheSmJ 2[H]4U

You sure the IPD is set correctly?

15. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

How can you prove something that never was alive to begin with!?

Parja likes this.
  16. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, you may have done this already and I missed it, but do you include normal non VR games in the reviews? Like how do normal games end up playing within the headset? Does it make them somewhat more immersive or does the lower resolution take away from the game at that point?

I guess my real question is how well or can a VR setup fully replace a normal setup?

17. Kyle_Bennett

VR is meant for games built for VR. You can use HMDs for viewing a flat screen in space in a "normal game." I guess that is what you are talking about.

18. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

So my question was more designed around moving to VR, but still wanting to play normal games using the headset/control rather than having to have multiple displays.

19. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

I followed the instructions in the setup routine.

I don't see double. It's like everything that you'd think should be level is juuuuust slightly slanted to the right. I don't really notice in the games I play, except in menus where there's a big wall of text or something.

It doesn't really work like that. There are ways of using the headset as a monitor, but you can't just use it for any non-VR game. The game has to have support for VR built in.

There are a few games that offer a VR and non-VR version, such as Elite Dangerous, which is a great game for a while, but does eventually get pretty repetitive.

NoOther likes this.
  20. TheSmJ

TheSmJ 2[H]4U

What are you referring to, exactly? There's this forum, the countless VR subreddets on Reddit, new games being advertised at E3 along with those already released. The list goes on.

Now, what makes you think it's dead?

21. Kyle_Bennett

HMDs are not for "normal games." HMDs are for games built for VR. You can open up your Windows desktop and view a flat screen in space but this has not been to my liking. YMMV.

NoOther likes this.
  22. Kyle_Bennett

Recalibrate your HMD. Was is sitting not level when you did it the first time possibly?

23. Kyle_Bennett

pendragon1 likes this.
  24. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

It has always been very nice. Price of entry is still to high for majority. it really never took off. There still no killer app for VR.

25. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Price is not really that high. The Vive pro is pricey, but the others are in a very good range.

No killer app? You mean an actual app or app/games? If it's games, then they all are killer. Being able to view 360 is just awesome. For me when I start a new game in VR, I get excited! A 2D game, I am like ok, I want to play this
    but have no choice to do it on a flat screen. Playing Skyrim VR and looking at a 360 world is just awesome. Using a flashlight because it is pitch black in a cave playing Arizona Sunshine is pretty freaky.

Apps are getting there. If you are social there are apps for mingling with other people online. Teaching apps are pretty cool. The Rift's desktop app is very nice. I have made a few posts using it.

26. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

What calibration are you referring to? The thing where you set up the sensors?

I've done that several times, including one case where I took the entire system somewhere else for a family gathering, and it's always exactly the same.

27. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

It is not just the headset price. You need a decent PC also to get a enjoyable experience. Which typically the common man doesn't have. It is a niche market.

28. Kyle_Bennett

What system are you using? Oculus I would guess? I do not have enough experience with Rift to tell you quite frankly.

29. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Yeah, it's an Oculus Rift (regular consumer version).

JayzTwoCents once mentioned that he can't use his Rift because there's apparently an issue with some of the early ones where like, the accelerometer chip, or the optics or something is installed cockeyed, and thus the horizon will appear to be slightly slanted, even when the user's head is perfectly straight. This apparently makes him nauseous and he thus can't use his Rift for his thuper therial driver training thimulathions. I have no other data points to go on, but what he described sounded a lot like what mine does.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me, other than that I can see it when there's text being shown, and the text looks juuuuust a little slanty.

30. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

It's not so much the headset as the system and in particular the GPU. An i5-4xxx and GTX970 are the bare minimums for the Vive for example, and ya know, that's the minimum. Recommended stuff, you're dropping a solid grand or more before you even have a headset. Also there are environment concerns.. If you're in a small room or a tight space, well, you're gonna restrict the experience.

Having joined the VR crowd this week, I do see some interesting apps. I got Star Trek: Bridge Crew (the whole point of getting the headset), but the Google Tilt Brush looks interesting and there was some other stuff. Heck, just the Win10 Mixed Reality demo houses are fun. Is any of it "killer?" Not sure yet. I haven't played Star Trek yet, still doing the tutorials, and YouTubes lead me to believe there aren't many actual missions and it's more about the group trying to work together. I don't see anything that's going to be a massive time sink for me yet though. I guess VR ports of existing titles are a thing to check out, but many people have already played these games.

I'm happy MS did the Mixed Reality headsets though. I got the HP one and the setup was a total no-brainer and took all of five minutes. Plug headset in, Win10 downloads/installs the MR stuff automatically, show it the boundaries, and go. No sensors or base station to deal with. So they got the learning curve way, way down, they just need the rest of the hardware to mature enough that a mid-range machine is a capable device for VR.

31. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Steadily add a few papers or something thin to the bottom of the right sensor to bring up slightly higher than the left one.

If that fixes it, I'm not sure how to go about a longer term solution or what it means about the calibration of your system.

Do other users of your HMD notice the slant/tilt?

32. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

I am not sure how old mine is but was last year not long after they came out. Not sure I have seen anything cockeyed. Maybe a manufacturer defect?

33. dexvx

dexvx Gawd

I've always had the opinion that VR is very limited and way over-rated.

IMO, AR overlay is the next big thing.

34. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

It may be a manufacturer defect in the sense that something is installed physically out of whack in the plastic housing. That said, I collect airborne LIDAR for a living, and we have professional grade analogs to many of the hardware components in the Rift, all of which have a software calibration routine that allows us to correct these sorts of problems in software.

The Rift apparently does as well, but Oculus understandably doesn't want users messing around with it.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...ifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it

Lucky for me, I really only ever play Elite Dangerous with my Rift, and that game doesn't display horizons all that often.

35. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I'm yet to find proof that it was ever alive.

vegeta535 likes this.
  36. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Ooh, sick burn. Take that VR dopes.

All kidding aside, VR is one of those things I was sold on the second I put a Rift on my head. After having one for nearly a year, and playing several games and accumulating several hours of game play, I am still left wanting more. There's just something I can't put my finger on that I'm waiting for.

37. spine

spine 2[H]4U

Bought a Vive with high excitement in 2016.... Sold it this year out of boredom.

It needed a Killer App. Something that simply couldn't be done outside VR. I did not see that or ANYTHING close in my VR time. Just re-imaginings of old computer concepts, but in VR!

There has been no true real re-invention of the interface... it needed a 'Nintendo' on board. Historically defining gaming interfaces at every generation. :cool:

38. Kyle_Bennett

Screenshot me a list of the games you own. I would really like to take a look.

heatlesssun likes this.
  39. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

I'm curious what you think a killer app would be. I felt like it added a lot to games that were previously about sitting in a chair, like driving and flight sims. Maybe not a kiler app in the sense that these games couldn't exist before, but it made them so much more convincing.

40. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Unless you only own a few of the low rated titles, there are a crap ton that look beautiful. If the title is 360 VR then that is something that can't be done outside VR. Unless you have panels that reach around you in a circle.
    Like Kyle said, it would be interesting to see what titles you actually played. Skyrim VR looked amazing and I played for a little bit last night.

heatlesssun likes this.
Tags: