Red Dead Redemption 2

Thanks for the free key?

tenor.gif

Don't forget to scroll through the in-game MTX catalog (hold 'J' for like 5 seconds, iirc) and unlock all your pre-order freebies. Yeah you gotta flip through the whole thing and find all the items that show $0 price tags.

Also I can't find the horse. We were supposed to get a free horse skin and it's not listed.

No crashes here, everything has been smooth in that regard. I've been aiming for roughly 60fps average at 3440x1440, Ultra is right out except for textures as others have said. Textures set to Ultra, anisotropic set to 16x, everything else set to high except FXAA, MSAA, Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution, Full Screen Ambient Occlusion, Reflection MSAA and Motion Blur which are all set to off. This gets me around 60 fps average and 40 fps minimum in the benchmark. Using that same setup but dropping all high settings to medium gets me around 70 fps average and 45 fps minimum. This is on Vulkan, I tried DX12 briefly and it seemed worse especially on the minimums.

Edit: For anything that is a slider I left it at the default from the middle balanced preset.

Don't forget to scroll through the in-game MTX catalog (hold 'J' for like 5 seconds, iirc) and unlock all your pre-order freebies. Yeah you gotta flip through the whole thing and find all the items that show $0 price tags.

Also I can't find the horse. We were supposed to get a free horse skin and it's not listed.

Check the stable/horse vendor in town.

He may not be unlocked yet.

He unlocks very shorly after a mission or two past the start of chapter 2 / posse camp

Hmm... Can't seem to replay missions. When selecting a previous mission, it just restarts the current mission. Anyone else experiencing this?

cant even get the game started.
newest drivers
trying fixes makes it worse like running as admin/disable fullscreen

So how do non-[H] folks play this game on PC?

I mean you (We) guys have pretty decent gear and I'd imagine better tuned systems than many out there.

Heady requirements.

So how do non-[H] folks play this game on PC?

I mean you (We) guys have pretty decent gear and I'd imagine better tuned systems than many out there.

Heady requirements.

My sig is my rig I play and it's no where near top of the line.

Enjoying the hell out of the game on 1440p at medium plus settings @ 50 to 60 frames.

I suspect this game to be the new Crysis in terms of benchmarking purposes for years to come.

This game eats up even the best systems on here.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I averaged 93 fps in the benchmark at Ultra wide 1440p. I was getting 30 until I changed the res scaling to .8. A few things in Ultra, but most at high.

I got the "stable" bug. I was in the stable and I couldn't get out. After some googling, I guess the console versions get that same bug, too.

Oh it's a beast all right! On my 3900x / 2080Ti system it won't even launch! It's incredible!

Just reinstall it already. Lol

Windows defender issue maybe?
Try disabling it.
I’ve ran a full clean install of windows. Nothing you will suggest I haven’t tried besides connecting a PS4 to my PC display.

It is likely an AMD microcode issue, but my motherboard doesn’t have the 1.0.0.4 microcode available yet.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg/community?lb=UgwT6pnQMGLb5DLYuCh4AaABCQ

AGF-l783uqtbaBQlLvyIpmtoDNGiu91OGADNPt6q=s76-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo.jpg
Hardware Unboxed
2 hours ago
Bad news, looks like we’re going to skip testing Red Dead Redemption 2. The presets are dynamic so they auto configure depending on the graphics card used. Worse still when you manually configure the settings they completely reset after a graphics card or display driver change. That means every single time we test a new card, over 30 individual settings need to be setup. I just don’t have the patience for that right now and creating custom files doesn’t seem to work.

I’ve ran a full clean install of windows. Nothing you will suggest I haven’t tried besides connecting a PS4 to my PC display.

It is likely an AMD microcode issue, but my motherboard doesn’t have the 1.0.0.4 microcode available yet.

Wow that's shitty.

Has Rockstar acknowledged this?

Hope your refund goes through.
Sorry man.

Wow that's shitty.

Has Rockstar acknowledged this?

Hope your refund goes through.
Sorry man.

Yeah, i'm waiting for the refund.

This is 100% related to the launcher/DRM and not liking certain hardware setups.

Last edited:
Are these issues being experienced also occuring for people who bought from EGS?

No. I bought mine straight through Rockstar, and using only their launcher. The launcher log shows numerous access violations before the game is even launched.

I'll point out that my 3900x/2080ti system i'm having this problem with is 100% stable, issue free, and it isn't overclocked. BF5 runs fine maxed out, Control ran fine maxed out, etc.

Needless to say I won't be buying a Rockstar game any time soon, if ever if they force usage of their launcher/DRM.

The problem is that it is 99% given that when the game comes out on Steam it will still require use of the rockstar launcher.

Last edited:
I finally got the game to launch by going to C:\Users\[UserName Here]\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2 and deleting the contents of the Settings folder.
Menu is slow af. In keyboard/mouse settings it doesnt show where to rebind keys which should be at the top right. It starts with mouse setting. Takes like 20 seconds to go from screen to screen in settings.
The video memory shows 9.6gb when I have 12gb.
I turned everything to low but it didnt help the menu delays. Maybe my KB isnt being detected but the keys work.
I am nearly at the 2hr limit to refund so I stopped.
Will wait for Steam release.

The physics are fucking brutal.

Go into Valentine, buy a bath. Looking around the building and go out on to the second floor balcony...

Fucking apparently swung the door open at mach 5, bashed some woman so hard she went flipping over the railing and dies in the middle of the street. People are screaming that there was a murder, I panic and leap off, face plant in the mud, and sprint out of town.

UNKNOWN SUSPECT.

Bad news, looks like we’re going to skip testing Red Dead Redemption 2. The presets are dynamic so they auto configure depending on the graphics card used. Worse still when you manually configure the settings they completely reset after a graphics card or display driver change. That means every single time we test a new card, over 30 individual settings need to be setup. I just don’t have the patience for that right now and creating custom files doesn’t seem to work.
So fine-grain dynamic presets that will auto adjust 40 or 50 settings to your GPU, rather than the typical 3-4 Ultra/High/Medium blanket presets. This seems like where video settings needed to evolve.

Bummer for reviewers and people benchmarking 30 different GPU's, but it's good for gamers - especially non-techies. I have friends that I've gotten into PC gaming, but they'll run games with jacked up default settings because they don't know what any of the settings mean.

I was actually wondering why on first bootup when I looked at the video settings I went through them one by one and realized most were already set rationally. Didn't mean much tweaking.

Last edited:
IF you're the kind of person that likes tweaking shit runs fine, if you're fuck all to tweaking then yes stay clear... the level of detail here is pretty awesome..

just made it to chapter 2. I frekking love this game! I've been waiting for the PC version forever and it was worth the wait. I am a graphics whore and everything on ultra at 4k brings my 2080 Ti to it's knees, but I can still hit 40's-50's and I hate turning shit down. HDR in game mode looks awesome on my JS900, but cinematic also looks good. I must have went back and forth 100 times already seeing which I prefer as HDR Cinematic is the default and I guess what the Red dead artists perceive the game to look like. Rockstar makes great games man.... From seeing the breath coming out of npc's mouths in the cold, horses shitting on the ground, Bumping into people while riding aand they holler at you, to dude telling you to hurry the fuck up when your taking in the scenery.....GREAT F'in game!!!

IF you're the kind of person that likes tweaking shit runs fine, if you're fuck all to tweaking then yes stay clear... the level of detail here is pretty awesome..
The great thing is, the game continues to render behind the options menu so you can adjust settings on the fly. You can see performance impact immediately, although you have to close the menu to see visual changes. And there's no restarting to change certain settings, either.

The hardwareunboxed performance guide is going to be juicy, that's for sure.

Back