Red Dead Redemption 2

Running all high settings with ultra textures here - 60 to 90fps at 3440x1440. Honestly cannot tell a difference between ultra and high. (such is the case with just about every game). Enabling the Nvidia control panel you sharpening definitely helped too

HU has some things up.

Interestingly they say DX12 is better, while GN recommends Vulkan.

The Radeon GPU's do very well with DX12 in the HU review, In GN's Vulkan tests the GeForce cards do better.

So how do non-[H] folks play this game on PC?

I mean you (We) guys have pretty decent gear and I'd imagine better tuned systems than many out there.

Heady requirements.
I had my fun with it on PS4 a year ago. Great game but not enough to re purchase of the for pc. I'll replay it on PS4 if I get the itch.
The physics are fucking brutal.

Go into Valentine, buy a bath. Looking around the building and go out on to the second floor balcony...

Fucking apparently swung the door open at mach 5, bashed some woman so hard she went flipping over the railing and dies in the middle of the street. People are screaming that there was a murder, I panic and leap off, face plant in the mud, and sprint out of town.

UNKNOWN SUSPECT.
Random stuff like that are like the best part of the game.

Last edited:
With how slow the controls respond to movement since they animate absolutely every possible transitional movement, it's almost impossible to not be a clumsy idiot for most of the game. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally knocked someone down on my horse just trotting through a town slowly, starting a fight and almost forcing me to earn a new bounty, hah.

So it sounds like the highest settings require beastly hardware that probably doesn't exist yet. How well does it work on lower-end or mid-level hardware? Anyone trying to simply replicate or only slightly one-up the console experience? There's still something to be said for playing the game at 60fps with medium settings. How feasible is that for most people?

With how slow the controls respond to movement since they animate absolutely every possible transitional movement, it's almost impossible to not be a clumsy idiot for most of the game. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally knocked someone down on my horse just trotting through a town slowly, starting a fight and almost forcing me to earn a new bounty, hah.

I like how the controls have feeling behind them with a sense of weight, I don't feel like a clumsy idiot though, maybe adjust sensitivity or decrease it lol.

So it sounds like the highest settings require beastly hardware that probably doesn't exist yet. How well does it work on lower-end or mid-level hardware? Anyone trying to simply replicate or only slightly one-up the console experience? There's still something to be said for playing the game at 60fps with medium settings. How feasible is that for most people?

This game isn't unique in pushing hardware. AC Odyssey came out over a year ago and a 2080ti couldn't do that @ 4k 60hz either. This is one of the main reasons why I got the X27 - The G-Sync support, which helps immensely when you are in that 30-60fps range.

Yeah, that doesn't help a vast swath of people.

Right now anyone on AMD that can't update to the latest 1.0.0.4 microcode is fucked.

You either need to roll back to a pre-3000 series BIOS, which is not possible if you are running a 3000 series CPU, or update to a BIOS with the 1.0.0.4 microcode which most motherboard manufacturers haven't put out yet.

At the end of the day it's horseshit, however, and just like the Destiny 2 bug the developer should develop a work-around in their software, versus making customers suffer waiting for updated firmware (if they ever even get it).

The problem is that AMD and Rockstar haven't acknowledged this issue yet.

Ultra is _really, really_ subtle for a lot of settings and absolutely massacres performance. Honestly just better to swallow the pill and use high or medium for certain offenders, you're not missing out on much.

HDR is as bad as on the console version, no surprise there. But it looks a little better thanks to full RGB compared to 4:2:0 on the console version, which eliminates the color crush in dark areas. It actually feels quite smooth in the lower FPS range even with blur turned off.

The animation that Rockstar uses goes a long way toward making 30fps look/feel better than it is. It's always a little jarring/frustrating for me to play a 30fps game. At least at first. After the first hour or two of RDR2 I barely noticed.

Might have already been stated, but did the 500mb patch that dropped help at all with the optimization? I'm grabbin at straws here :(

HDR is as bad as on the console version, no surprise there. But it looks a little better thanks to full RGB compared to 4:2:0 on the console version, which eliminates the color crush in dark areas. It actually feels quite smooth in the lower FPS range even with blur turned off.

What HDR setting are you using? and what display? I've read up ALOT and tested HDR for hours looking at peak brightness and for me game mode looks incredible. It may not be as saturated as regular SDR mode, but the Lighting and god rays looks awesome! I also use RGB and full vs limited on my Samsung JS9000. Game looks great in HDR to me, using GAME mode though not cinematic

Yeah use Game, not Cinematic for HDR.

Cinematic is basically broken. Digital foundry has a great video on it.

What control scheme are most using? KB/M or Gamepad? For 3rd person open world adventures I've often found gamepad use to be preferable for most of it, especially if they were originally cross-platform with consoles. Things like driving and moving often worked better with analog sticks and triggers, as did melee combat. Of course, ranged combat could always be the sticking point - KB/M is by nature more precise, though many titles today offer some sort of "sticky aim assist" for gamepad users. The potential RDR Online adds another layer and could be a totally different situation. What does everyone use and how do they feel it works?

Also, those playing at 1440P (or something close to it), how is your 144hz refresh rate (using FreeSync / GSync) experience? It seems like without tanking the settings trying to get 144FPS at this point seems near impossible, but perhaps the game is still more than playable at 144hz using FreeSync/GSync

What HDR setting are you using? and what display? I've read up ALOT and tested HDR for hours looking at peak brightness and for me game mode looks incredible. It may not be as saturated as regular SDR mode, but the Lighting and god rays looks awesome! I also use RGB and full vs limited on my Samsung JS9000. Game looks great in HDR to me, using GAME mode though not cinematic
PG27UQ, using Game mode with peak brightness set to 900 and paper white set to 80. They got rid of the brightness cap from cinematic mode, but the problem is that they're still applying both an SDR gamma ramp and warmth mask to the image. So instead of having localized bright spots you get an image that makes the surrounding environment overly bright. This video goes into depth explaining the problem.

What control scheme are most using? KB/M or Gamepad? For 3rd person open world adventures I've often found gamepad use to be preferable for most of it, especially if they were originally cross-platform with consoles. Things like driving and moving often worked better with analog sticks and triggers, as did melee combat. Of course, ranged combat could always be the sticking point - KB/M is by nature more precise, though many titles today offer some sort of "sticky aim assist" for gamepad users. The potential RDR Online adds another layer and could be a totally different situation. What does everyone use and how do they feel it works?

Also, those playing at 1440P (or something close to it), how is your 144hz refresh rate (using FreeSync / GSync) experience? It seems like without tanking the settings trying to get 144FPS at this point seems near impossible, but perhaps the game is still more than playable at 144hz using FreeSync/GSync
Keyboard and mouse for every game that requires free aiming, no exceptions. There is literally no difference between first person aiming and third person aiming, so I don't understand why people believe a controller would be better for the latter.

Controllers are never better in terms of aiming speed...but they can certainly be more straightforward and simply easier to use. I'd rather use a controller for literally everything except twitch shooters and RTS games.
The mouse and keyboard in this game is GLORIOUS

PG27UQ, using Game mode with peak brightness set to 900 and paper white set to 80. They got rid of the brightness cap from cinematic mode, but the problem is that they're still applying both an SDR gamma ramp and warmth mask to the image. So instead of having localized bright spots you get an image that makes the surrounding environment overly bright. This video goes into depth explaining the problem.

Thanks for posting the video. I've got an LG C8 cranked to 1000 for gaming, and Cinematic didn't look as good as Game Mode, but the latter was blinding - my fault for sitting 36" away from a 55" TV as god intended.. I had settled on Cinematic because I was too lazy to dig into TV menu to adjust the brightness I like in all other games.

Still, the HDR support is clearly improved since the console version, and overall image quality obviously blows away the PS4 Pro version I previewed

Last edited:
So apparently the No GTAVLauncher mod works with RDR2. You just re-name the RDR2.exe to GTAV.exe and the game will start. You can't get past the main menu, however, because of social club issues.

KB/M because the default aim-assist when using a controller makes the game too easy. And turning off aim-assist makes lining up shots nearly impossible, particularly when you're on horseback.

I'm not a KB/M purist - there are definitely games that *demand* controllerp lay, like Dark Souls for example, and there's definitely something to be said about kicking back on the couch with a controller and wandering an open world game for hours, but in RDR2 I like the superiority of the mouse aiming enough that I'll sit at the desk to play it. If this game was melee-only I would probably switch to controller.

So apparently the No GTAVLauncher mod works with RDR2. You just re-name the RDR2.exe to GTAV.exe and the game will start. You can't get past the main menu, however, because of social club issues.
Specifically, you get stuck infinite loading.

Its not that controllers are "better" 3rd person aiming (or that 3rd person and 1st person aiming are much different), but rather that many 3rd person open world multiplats have lots of OTHER things in which controller experience is equal or better taking up much of the gameplay time. Avatar movement, driving, melee combat etc... are often equal or better on controller. Thus, if aiming is "good enough" , overall the game plays better with a controller. There's no denying that for aiming and shooting freehand KB/M is the best offering, but if there's enough in the rest of the game that plays better via controller that could tip the scales.

I'm not sure if RDR2 is one of those games or not, but I appreciate everyone giving their input.

Yeah, that doesn't help a vast swath of people.

Right now anyone on AMD that can't update to the latest 1.0.0.4 microcode is fucked.

You either need to roll back to a pre-3000 series BIOS, which is not possible if you are running a 3000 series CPU, or update to a BIOS with the 1.0.0.4 microcode which most motherboard manufacturers haven't put out yet.

At the end of the day it's horseshit, however, and just like the Destiny 2 bug the developer should develop a work-around in their software, versus making customers suffer waiting for updated firmware (if they ever even get it).

The problem is that AMD and Rockstar haven't acknowledged this issue yet.

Looks like MSI Just dropped it last week for my board (X570 Carbon Gaming), but I also haven't installed this update, nor have I even tried to launch RDR2... I bought it Monday night, pre-loaded it, and when I get some time this week, I'll update the micro-code and try RDR2 out.

Capture.JPG

You should be fine with that BIOS update.

I'm still waiting.

I haven't touched bios since last summer, how am I fucked exactly if everything runs fine? Carbon b450 here.

I don't think I've needed a BIOS update to fix a game since the Athlon days. I think I recall people needing one for certain chipsets when Battlefield 4 first hit, though. Either way, it's not exactly common.

I haven't touched bios since last summer, how am I fucked exactly if everything runs fine? Carbon b450 here.

As long as you either -

A.) Have a 1/2000 series CPU and are still on the pre-3000 series supporting microcode

B.) Have a motherboard with a BIOS with the latest 1.0.0.4B AGESA/microcode

You'll be able to launch the game without issue.

The people who are screwed are those with a 3x00 CPU, and don't have the latest BIOS w/ 1.0.04B microcode. If you have a 2700X, for example, all you need to do is roll-back to a pre 3x00 supporting BIOS, and you'll be fine.

As long as you either -

A.) Have a 1/2000 series CPU and are still on the pre-3000 series supporting microcode

B.) Have a motherboard with a BIOS with the latest 1.0.0.4B AGESA/microcode

You'll be able to launch the game without issue.

The people who are screwed are those with a 3x00 CPU, and don't have the latest BIOS w/ 1.0.04B microcode. If you have a 2700X, for example, all you need to do is roll-back to a pre 3x00 supporting BIOS, and you'll be fine.

Now I understand why I am fine, thank you for the information.

This cracks me up.

Reflection Quality
This is a real enigma to us. If you turn this graphics option up to Ultra setting then the frame rates in Red dead Redemption drop massively. And we cant see any obvious visual improvement for all these lost FPS.

We are going to explore this graphics option a lot more carefully and will put our findings into the article over the next day or so. For now, take a look at a slider screenshot we have put together that showcases the performance impact and the lack of visual improvement.

Hmm... Can't seem to replay missions. When selecting a previous mission, it just restarts the current mission. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just following up on this. I've noticed that when trying to load a previous mission using mouse in the menus, the wrong mission would load 99% of the time. If I instead navigate the menus using keyboard only, the correct mission will load just fine. It seems there are some UI / hitbox issues when using mouse.

Back