Received my 3008WFP today.

If you do a search for 3008wfp its still listed. But if you browse to 30"-24" monitors it doesnt show up. I guess this could mean a whole lot of things...I'll start the speculation off slow:

panel availability is still pretty low, and they don't want normal customers who don't know about the 3008wfp ordering something that is 10weeks out.

Maybe too many monitors were being returned because of the backlight bleed, input lag, and lack of HDCP support at 2560 x 1600. Hopefully a new revision is on the way.
Dell has really dropped the ball here on what was suppose to be a great monitor.

With the release of this monitor it's basically killed the 3007 which sounds like a far superiour panel, no input lag, better panel quality, less backlight bleed etc, the only real downside of the 3007 was the inputs a problem you can resolve if you pipe inputs through your PC's video card. This makes the 3007 a bit of a goldmine right now, OC.co.uk don't stock them anymore which is where I got mine from, if you still want a 30" i'd be quick about trying to find one. The input lag with scaler chips is always going to be present unless you pay an extremely daft amount for your monitor, and lets face it, the 30" are expensive to begin with.

Let me put this in perspective. Is the 3008 a good monitor ?Yes. Could it be better ? Yes. if you get one in which the backlight problem is reduced then visually this is an excellent monitor. If they could almost eliminate the bleed then this would be one of the best, especially if you get it for a reduced price. I cannot comment on the lag as I don't game, but the visuals and the inputs are there. I think what everyone wants is more consistency on the production of the panels and the monitor too. While the one I have now is not perfect, it is acceptable, but I am going to get one more replacement ....hopefully by the end of the month to see if they have revised/improved it.

Let me put this in perspective. Is the 3008 a good monitor ?Yes. Could it be better ? Yes. if you get one in which the backlight problem is reduced then visually this is an excellent monitor. If they could almost eliminate the bleed then this would be one of the best, especially if you get it for a reduced price. I cannot comment on the lag as I don't game, but the visuals and the inputs are there. I think what everyone wants is more consistency on the production of the panels and the monitor too. While the one I have now is not perfect, it is acceptable, but I am going to get one more replacement ....hopefully by the end of the month to see if they have revised/improved it.

The NEC LCD3090WQXI (if and when it actually ships) is only a little more expensive, and it has significant advantages, such as hardware calibration.

The NEC LCD3090WQXI (if and when it actually ships) is only a little more expensive, and it has significant advantages, such as hardware calibration.

For me and I suspect for others, the NEC would be a lot more than the 3008.

I got my 3008WFP (rev A00) in February. Called Dell last Friday (at 1pm) and asked for a replacement, because of backlight bleeding.

Old one looked like this:

dell-3008wfp-light-bleeding.jpg

Dell was very quick, I got my new (non-refurbished) replacement today (ie. next business day), at 10am :) It is still A00 revision, but there is *no* backlight bleeding at all, which was my only complaint.

dell-3008wfp-new.jpg

Both monitors were made in China. I will make a picture in night as well and post it...

the NEC has been $1859 shipped for months (the price tho not in stock).
the 3008 has been $1755 shipped after taxes.

so the price difference is minimal is you believe that the NEC is a step up with its calibration and other features. i returned my two 3008s last month and am awaiting the two NECs.

so the price difference is minimal is you believe that the NEC is a step up with its calibration and other features. i returned my two 3008s last month and am awaiting the two NECs.

Since I got my 3008 for $1,299 after a little haggling and delays, that is a more significant amount of money(close to $600 after taxes).

Also you have to admit, at least with Dell you can keep on with the replacements until you get a good one, but if you are buying the NEC especially from a discount place, they may give you a hassle about returning a less than perfect monitor.

I'm now waiting for my third 3008WFP. I opened the RMA request last Thursday and today was informed that the 3008WFP is on back order until April 30th. This purchase as been a complete nightmare since day one. This will DEFINITELY be my last monitor purchase with Dell.

Am curious to know, does the 3008 have an anti reflective coating that looks like the one on the 3007HC? Does it have a glimmer or multi colored sparkle like that of the 3007HC or Apple or HP (all the same LG panels 3rd gen.) Thanks for the info.

Can someone confirm the following:

1. Input lag is present on the 3008WFP
2. That Dell have no ability to resolve this input lag (just like they told me with the 2405 which is why they gave me a full refund inclusive of shipping costs)
3. Whether the NEC or other panels that use this same screen element exhibit no input lag.

if the 30" you're looking at has a scaler (it can accept other inputs and resolutions lower than 2560x1600) it will likely have significant lag over one that does not.

I have received my 3008 in europe as well even though the website gave me a delay of almost 3 month at first I have received mine in a 2 weeks. It's a version A01 made in republic czech and the panel is M2T104086. I don't see much bleeding on mine.
It seems they have added 1680x1050 resolution as well compared to the version A00.
Is it the same panel as the version A00 ?

How is the look and the input lag on this new version of the monitor ?

How does one get these prices?

I don't know how to measure input lag sorry. But i played to crysis and battlefield 2 without feeling the input lag.

I have the same question as the above poster. Has anyone done any input lag tests on the newest revision of this monitor? I am dying to get one. And i didn't read all 13 pages of this thread, but can someone give me a short answer as to why the monitor disappeared from the dell website??

I have the same question as the above poster. Has anyone done any input lag tests on the newest revision of this monitor? I am dying to get one. And i didn't read all 13 pages of this thread, but can someone give me a short answer as to why the monitor disappeared from the dell website??

Dell told me that there is a shortage of the LG screens, which makes them hard to get.

As much as I want this new LCD, I think the 3007WFP-Hc is much better for me, for some reasons
1)It is a well tested version that work properly
2)It is one of the fastest screen today (both LAG and screen delay)
3)Very good colors and text
4)Great for gaming
5)Very nice price (this is the last on the list, because it is the least important for me)

Why will someone pay EXTRA $$$ for something less good ?!

:confused:

I have just joined HardForum community, this is my first post. I am a 43 years old industrial engineer and live in Argentina. My hobby is high end consumer electronics.

My own experience

I bought my Dell 3008WFP on January 14th so of course it´s still revision A00. These are the unit details:

• Serial CN-0HR374-71618-7B1-143L Revision A00
• DP/N 0HR374
• Service Tag BKSTDD1

Recently I bought a brand new 17” HD LED Penryn 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unfortunately it was an Dead On Arrival case, so I still have no machine to run the big Dell in DVI Dual Link.

So I am still using a single link DVI out in my old but still superb PowerBook 17”1.5 GHz at 1920x1200, and 1:1 mode in the monitor, this setup causes a big black frame surrounding the image but 100% preserved of scaling effects.

My monitor has a PERFECT image and ZERO backlight bleed !!! believe me the blacks are in fact so black that hardly you can say when the thing is on or off !!!

Some people in this thread has demolished the Dell quality in favor of EIZO or NEC panels, this is a snob attitude:

In fact this Dell uses a LG-Philips LM300WQ5 fifth generation S-IPS panel with 8 ms grey to grey response, bright 370 cd/m2 light output , and 102% NTSC color gamut coverage.
As you can see in www.tft.central.co.uk LCD panel database I wonder if there is a better panel on the market today.

Mi unit has zero bright or dead pixels, just 2 stuck subpixels, far surpassing the Class II DIN defect standards, if you consider that 2560x1600 x 3 = 12 million subpixels it´s not bad at all !!!.

I also have Dell 2707WFP Rev A00 it shares the elegant case of the 3008 but with a very different beast inside (a Samsung S-PVA panel like the Samsung 275T). No doubt on this: S-IPS is FAR BETTER than S-PVA technology.

The bipolar reviews:

Of course having spent here $ 2700 in the monitor and planning to buy other next year, I am VERY worried of all the horror stories heard in forums and the last news of “Dell ceasing sales for technical issues”. So I read EVERY published review and forum of the 3008WFP and found an strange “love or hate” attitude.

The Hot Hardware, PRAD, Gizmodo, Computer Shopper, CNET Australia, loves them,

ExtremeTech, MaximumPC, PC Pro, BeHarware hates them…

So what´s hapenning ? I was looking for a correlation:

I found that bad reviews/ bad end user experiencies always share 3 elements in common:

1. Excesive brightness, (even at 0% setting excessive bright)

2. Excesive heat

3. Backlight bleed in the opposite screen corners (not necessary meaning this uneven illumination of the backlight )

In my “good” Dell I have a normal behavior that I believe is the same thing good reviews report:

1. Brightness must be set 40% or image is a little dark

2. Normal heat (slighty warm, but never hot to touch aluminum frame)

3. Very low or Zero backlight bleed

So what COULD be the reason for the problems ?

The following is pure speculation but in my unit close inspection reveal that my panel has nearly 1 mm of free play in the inner screen frame,(In fact I can push with my hand the panel nearly 1 mm) first I believed that my unit was damaged in the transport)

Perhaps this play is intended for the necessary thermal expansion of such a big panel.

(PD: My other big panel (Dell 27”) don´t seem to have any play … What do you think ?)

If a defective backlight generates a lot of heat the panel could warp under excessive thermal stress in the relatively rigid metal external frame, causing internal light “bleeding” in the frame.

A little help from others users:

If you consider that the backlight is part of the LG-Phillips panel I think other people in this forum can help me complete the puzzle … or destroy my theory:

I think someone can test or have another monitor that uses the same LM300WQ5 panel (perhaps the newer 30 “LG or 30” NEC models),

a) If the backlight is the source problem you might have the same bleed because the panel causes everything.

b) On the other hand if there is NO backlight bleed is a Dell bad frame design or mounting issue to blame.

Color calibration and Input lag:

I have also seen a lot of spitefully commentaries (specially in BeHardware) crying about long input lags on the 3008WFP :

Gamers boys: let´s face it: if you see your world with eyes using cheap 22” TN screens everything will ever be TOO slow to you.

If you have a very high definition screen...

And have a state of the art scaler ...

AND

YOU WANT A HIGH QUALITY IMAGE ...

You MUST do a very heavy DSP frame to frame to do a quality process !!!

Probably you can cut by a half input lag figures but image quality will suffer, this is a Dell wise tradeoff not a defect.!!!

And color calibration ???

Of course such a beast needs to be carefully adjusted but DeltaE values after calibration are very small so you can make the monitor as accurate as you can.

Boys WORK DON´T CRY !!! :mad:

Preliminary conclusions:

• + The 3008WFP is a very unusual product in a sea of mediocre rivals,
• + Only the original 30 inch Apple Cinema Display causes such reaction in 2004
• + It´s very elegant, (has a unique anthracite gray finish) and very well made chassis
• + Has a fantastic image properly adjusted
• + Has the best input flexibility of the whole market

• - But has some serious problems in an unknow percentage,( I wonder how
many units Dell have been made so far and how many are defective of this total universe)
• - A lot of uneducated users that don´t differentiate a quality professional monitor from a “just fast” gamer monitor

Regards.-:D

Yes, this is an exceptionally elegant mid-level monitor.
It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI while normally monitors have 2 DVI or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI.
IPS technology, input flexibility, adequate amount of image setting controls put 3008 very close to truly universal monitors for all purpose use (3008 lacks some ergonomics and eye strain reducing features though).
Requires firmware update to eliminate overscan and to add some useful resolutions support. Also much stronger quality control is necessary.

a quality professional monitor

This is not about 3008.
No features attributed to "professional" monitor.
It's mid-level product, but very close to universals - that's a very high rank.

And have a state of the art scaler
It has basic 3 steps scaler with overscan problem and image cropping (according to prad.de test).

...3007WFP-Hc is much better for me
Why will someone pay EXTRA $$$ for something less good ?!

I don't think someone is going to pay extra for anything less good than a bare panel on a stand.

Mi unit has zero bright or dead pixels, just 2 stuck subpixels, far surpassing the Class II DIN defect standards, if you consider that 2560x1600 x 3 = 12 million subpixels it´s not bad at all !!!.

I don't know in Argentina, but here in Spain, you have a ZERO bad pixels warranty. So, if you have one defective pixel, you can return the monitor and get a new one (only for 3008 model)

Cascaman:

Dell International Warranty is the same in all the World, even "Premium Panel Warranty" is more marketing promises than reality.Because nearly no panel are perfect.

A stuck subpixel is not considered a dead pixel but a "dark" dot.

A "bright dot" (= the same point red + green + blue subpixels all on all the time) causes an strong, very visible full white point and only in this case a Premium Panel can be exchanged.

Premiums panels are only in the Ultrasharp lineup (3008-3007-2707-2407-2408-2208)

Just for reference my 2707WFP has zero pixels and zero subpixels dead 100% perfect.-

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=1018431

Regards.-

Am curious to know, does the 3008 have an anti reflective coating that looks like the one on the 3007HC? Does it have a glimmer or multi colored sparkle like that of the 3007HC or Apple or HP (all the same LG panels 3rd gen.) Thanks for the info.

I am actually not sure I have seen the 3007HC, maybe I have just seen the original 3007 (whatever letter was behind it).

I was pretty much ready to give Dell my money assuming that the 3008WFP would be better, but after seeing it, I am looking for something else.

I realize that the sparkle/glimmer seems to be very eye dependend and my eyes seems to be quite sensitive to it, and I felt like looking in another direction after playing with the 3008WFP for a few minutes.

So, as always, opinions probably differs, but if you react to sparkle, you should definately see this screen before buying.

XYZZYX:

The "sparkle" you mention is present in the antiglare finish of all S-IPS panels made by LG-Philips,

Not only in the 3008 and 3007 , the NEC 3090, even in the old Apple Cinema Display 30" (2004 panel LW300Q3) you will see it.

They called "3H Anti Glare" and forces you to be careful of the light sources in your office.

But I think is a minor point.In the bright lights of a store could be awful, not in your home.

The LG FLATRON panel W3000H brochure:

http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000004044/W3000H_spec_sheet2.pdf

mention this special finish, see page 2.

S-PVA panels are a little more "matte".(my Dell 2707, Samsung 305T, new Eizo 30")

;)

Hi guys, I know that this is a little off topic but it seems that this thread is getting all the help and attention.

So, I have 2 DELL 3007WFP-HC in a Dual-Monitor set up.

The problem is that, 1 of them is perfect in every way while the other has (1) DEAD PIXEL and the "WHITE" looks like a "PALE YELLOW"

The "perfect" one seems to be brighter and more lively when compared to the "inferior" one.

Why is this so?? These are the very same monitors, how could there be such a HUGE different of quality???

Can someone give me the solution to my problem??

I've just read a post on another forum, where a customer waiting for a replacement 3008 was contacted by a Dell manager and told that no more 3008s were being built, and that the range had been EOL'd due (allegedly) to supply shortages. :(

Can anyone confirm this? What does it mean for the 30" market as a whole? :confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/12/sales-cease-on-dell-3008wfp-30-incher-due-to-technical-issue/

Looks like it's been delayed rather than EOL'd. Dell's site says "shipping in 3-5 weeks".
Yes, I knew about that, but that particular article is over two weeks old, and maybe things have changed. The monitor has disappeared altogether from the Dell UK site, and third-party outlets have no ETA.

Perhaps the various "technical issues" and their associated RMAs, together with the supply shortage of the LG screens have simply made the product unviable... if so, I guess the prices of competing models won't be dropping any time soon... :(

I've just read a post on another forum, where a customer waiting for a replacement 3008 was contacted by a Dell manager and told that no more 3008s were being built, and that the range had been EOL'd due (allegedly) to supply shortages. :(

Can anyone confirm this? What does it mean for the 30" market as a whole? :confused:

I have been waiting on a replacement for a month. I was told it would be shipped April 30th. As of yet, no one from Dell has contacted me about substitutions.

Yes, either calibrate them both, or return the one that is yellow under warranty.

There can often be quality differences with batches of panels.

Regards,

10e

Hi guys, I know that this is a little off topic but it seems that this thread is getting all the help and attention.

So, I have 2 DELL 3007WFP-HC in a Dual-Monitor set up.

The problem is that, 1 of them is perfect in every way while the other has (1) DEAD PIXEL and the "WHITE" looks like a "PALE YELLOW"

The "perfect" one seems to be brighter and more lively when compared to the "inferior" one.

Why is this so?? These are the very same monitors, how could there be such a HUGE different of quality???

Can someone give me the solution to my problem??

Don't hold you're breathe Mixman. Call Dell and get your money back. Dell dropped the ball BIG TIME with the 3008WFP.

Back