Rage 2

So is this worth $30?
I played some at a walk-up PC at QuakeCon and it seemed fun... how repetitive is this game?

So is this worth $30?
I played some at a walk-up PC at QuakeCon and it seemed fun... how repetitive is this game?
It gets repetitive after a few hours, but it's still fun and gets much better when you get more powerful weapons. There is some grind for storage containers, data pads (all optional), etc. They keep adding new content for free every month which is great.

For $30 it's a pretty good deal. They've fixed most of the bugs, so it's pretty stable now. Maybe wait for a deeper sale if you're not sure.

It's fine for $30.

Even then though.. It's not great. Get Mad Max for like $5 and play the better version of this game.

It's fine for $30.

Even then though.. It's not great. Get Mad Max for like $5 and play the better version of this game.
Huh? Mad Max is a 3p buttonmash brawler. This game is a FPS with excellent gunplay.

So is this worth $30?

I paid full price for it, don't regret it and am still having a lot of fun with it. It ain't nothing ground breaking. It's basically Borderlands, just not done as well. The combat and gunplay is superb though. I couldn't even tell you what the storyline is for the game. I'm literally just running around going from side mission to side mission for the combat.

Story I'd give this a 3 out of 10.
Combat I'd give it a solid 9!
Atmosphere is pretty solid too at about a 7.

It's on sale for $20 this weekend. I don't have high hopes, but I'm ready for something new so trying it anyways...

Some parts like the main hubs are better but the open world is pretty basic to me it lacks some of the charm of the original but I guess that's a tradeoff if you make the gameworld a lot bigger and use a different engine.

I forgot that Rage 2 used Avalanche's Apex engine and not id Tech...definitely won't look better then Rage 1 then

I forgot that Rage 2 used Avalanche's Apex engine and not id Tech...definitely won't look better then Rage 1 then

As mentioned above, it does in some places but not others. I think overall id’s engine for RAGE had an overall edge on this. However, if some of the texture flaws of the original (low res in places) bothered you, this one fixes that. However, taken as a whole, in motion, during play, yeah the original was better.

Even though id-proper didn’t make this, you can still see and feel their influence, so there must have been plenty of consulting.

Overall from what I’ve played of RAGE 2 so far, it’s not bad, and still feels more RAGE than Borderlands to me, though the BL influence is definitely there.

I had to put it on hold for a bit though (had guests in town, then school started for my kids). I plan to get back to it pretty soon. Though I may run through Prey first as I mentioned in that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished the main quest today - perfect timing!

Ready to start the expansion now, but I can't figure out how to get to the new zone. Any ideas? I tried just driving across the valley to get to the new map area, but it wouldn't let me "leave the known world." :cautious:

I just finished the main quest today - perfect timing!

Ready to start the expansion now, but I can't figure out how to get to the new zone. Any ideas? I tried just driving across the valley to get to the new map area, but it wouldn't let me "leave the known world." :cautious:
You go to any town and it should trigger a radio call from a woman. Some users can't get it to work because they're not logged into their Bethesda account.

You go to any town and it should trigger a radio call from a woman. Some users can't get it to work because they're not logged into their Bethesda account.

WTF - lol, well thanks for the info at least. Yeah, no voices in the towns for me. I bought Rage2 through Steam - why would I need to login to Bathesda?? Took me a while to figure out my login... now I'm logged into Bathesda.net and their launcher - no idea if that's going to make a difference in Steam version... trying again...

Guess this makes about as much sense as "leaving the known world" while driving toward another region right in front of me. :rolleyes:

BTW, I also didn't get my BFG that was supposed to come with the Deluxe edition yet. Is there some other bullshit micro-transaction thing I'm supposed to do to unlock the deluxe gear I already paid for??

Edit - yeah, having Bathesda launcher logged in the background didn't help Looks like I need to figure out why Steam didn't unlock the Deluxe features I paid for...

Last edited:
WTF - lol, well thanks for the info at least. Yeah, no voices in the towns for me. I bought Rage2 through Steam - why would I need to login to Bathesda?? Took me a while to figure out my login... now I'm logged into Bathesda.net and their launcher - no idea if that's going to make a difference in Steam version... trying again...

Guess this makes about as much sense as "leaving the known world" while driving toward another region right in front of me. :rolleyes:

BTW, I also didn't get my BFG that was supposed to come with the Deluxe edition yet. Is there some other bullshit micro-transaction thing I'm supposed to do to unlock the deluxe gear I already paid for??

Edit - yeah, having Bathesda launcher logged in the background didn't help Looks like I need to figure out why Steam didn't unlock the Deluxe features I paid for...

If you look on the Steam forums, some users had to contact Bethesda to get the DLC and Deluxe features to work. I'd ask for a refund if you can't get it working.

Question: are there any upgrade-able vehicles in the game besides the Phoenix? I held off on doing a lot of the convoy fights until I had the Pheonix all upgraded, and now that I can attack convoys I'm racking up tons of auto parts that I can't spend. Hoping I find at least one more vehicle I can upgrade so these aren't completely useless.

If you look on the Steam forums, some users had to contact Bethesda to get the DLC and Deluxe features to work. I'd ask for a refund if you can't get it working.

Thanks again for the info. Ended up having to go back and forth with Bathesda support a few times to get my content unlocked. That was a pain, but I can get into the Overgrown City now.

RAGE 2: TerrorMania Expansion Release Date & Details

TerrorMania introduces:
  • New Location: The Deadlands – Explore an alternate reality version of the wasteland. Once you complete the DLC story, you’ll be able to return to each location in the Deadlands and experience them again
  • New Enemy: Army of the Dead – Face off against the undead versions of familiar factions like the Goon Squad, Immortal Shrouded, River Hogs and Abadon Muties
  • New Weapon: Sword of Transitus – The Wasteland Wizard goes on and on about how the Sword of Transitus is an ancient relic of unspeakable power, capable of unlocking pathways between worlds… but it’s totally also a really cool sword you can stab people with, and that’s way more important. Charge up the Sword of Transitus to unleash an arc of devastating force
TerrorMania launches on November 14th...

https://bethesda.net/en/article/cX7iWXU2VSAXxy1noD0Wz/rage-2-terrormania-expansion

RAGE 2: TerrorMania Expansion Release Date & Details

TerrorMania introduces:
  • New Location: The Deadlands – Explore an alternate reality version of the wasteland. Once you complete the DLC story, you’ll be able to return to each location in the Deadlands and experience them again
  • New Enemy: Army of the Dead – Face off against the undead versions of familiar factions like the Goon Squad, Immortal Shrouded, River Hogs and Abadon Muties
  • New Weapon: Sword of Transitus – The Wasteland Wizard goes on and on about how the Sword of Transitus is an ancient relic of unspeakable power, capable of unlocking pathways between worlds… but it’s totally also a really cool sword you can stab people with, and that’s way more important. Charge up the Sword of Transitus to unleash an arc of devastating force
TerrorMania launches on November 14th...

https://bethesda.net/en/article/cX7iWXU2VSAXxy1noD0Wz/rage-2-terrormania-expansion

Hmm... Sounds like Dr. Ned's Zombie Island :D (which I enjoyed) They really are going full Borderlands with this. I got distracted with some other games, so I'm still very early on in this game. Sounds like there'll be a ton of new stuff to do when I get back to it.

Spent some time with this game finally I turned the settings down to Medium because otherwise either the Bloom or motion blur or sharpness bothers me. Went you get to a tuff area and not over speced this game shines. Game looks really good on my Samsung 24" VA panel the darker blacks make things pop out better.

20191101165905_1.jpg

If you don't have good gear and are afraid of this guy he can be a bear.
I beat him on like the 6-7 try then I forgot to save LOL. So I had to beat him again I was down to 10 health had zero healing kits and no rocket launcher to cheese him. You can cheese him behind a wall if you have the time but then he nukes you when you get greedy.

20191101152531_2.jpg
Flashing overhead lights like the game Fear.

20191101152938_1.jpg
Construction lights light up this area on the other side.

20191101170800_1.jpg

The Swamp where the Doctor lives.

Last edited:
I'm reading the DLC the 2nd one if a separate purchase from the Deluxe edition.

I finished the Docs quest line but need to reach level 5 for the other two chars.
Not sure if I want to dump some more hours in just to complete it. I have all the Arks but one and no BFG since I stupidly didn't purchase the Dlx edition. No way am I dumping in 30.00 for all the content I mean I bought the game twice on both launchers. At least I got it cheap on Steam.

This is one of the best looking games out there maybe not realistic wise but stylized one of the best.

I finished the Docs quest line but need to reach level 5 for the other two chars.
Not sure if I want to dump some more hours in just to complete it. I have all the Arks but one and no BFG since I stupidly didn't purchase the Dlx edition. No way am I dumping in 30.00 for all the content I mean I bought the game twice on both launchers. At least I got it cheap on Steam.

This is one of the best looking games out there maybe not realistic wise but stylized one of the best.

You sure you have been playing Rage 2 and not some other game? Most of the open world is so low in detail it's painfull to watch, too much made with consoles in mind, not enough with the PC.

Nah it looks good to me I mean if you pay attention where the Scientists Lab is you can see "ANTS on the ground" moving around and other insects.,

Last edited:
i've tried starting this game twice, within 10-15 min i quit. It seems like it's just poorly made. the controls, the sound, the bugs, the story that isn't grabbing me.

Anyone else?

i've tried starting this game twice, within 10-15 min i quit. It seems like it's just poorly made. the controls, the sound, the bugs, the story that isn't grabbing me.

Anyone else?
It's fun for a few hours, but gets repetitive since you end up going back to places you already explored. Didn't have many issues, bugs, etc.

I did finish the base game, but skipped the DLC. More or less a cash grab.

I wouldn’t say it’s crap, but I tried a couple of times, and so far it hasn’t stuck. The combat feels good, but there is too much distance between the good moments.

If you know me (over the years here) you know I’m an absolute id fanboy, a total nerd for them and even their farmed out stuff like Quake IV, and I LOVE RAGE 1. Like LOVE IT.

That said, I’m not sure on RAGE 2, and I’m on the fence with Doom Eternal. That also said, Doom Eternal isn’t a question of quality as it’s polished to a shine. I just don’t totally gel with some of the mechanics.

I’ll probably give RAGE 2 another try or two, but yeah, it’s great in places, and just non-existent in others.

There’s still a chance I’ll get into it, but not looking too hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they ever patch the last mission bug? Not being able to play the last mission pissed me off.

Back