Rage 2

I'm impressed with the gunplay and all of that of course but I'm also becoming more impressed with some of the art style and level design.

Same here, they got the gunplay nailed down really well. Those sunset vistas are very well done,great art direction. Some folks on utube have been showing off Rage 2 with tuned VFX,that turn the artistic eye candy up a notch and a half,by messing with the shaders.
I am really enjoying this game,got it on cdkeys for 35,well worth it... I really need an upgrade. I love my Fury X and XEons,but both are showing some age.

Last edited:
Sorry, but not a fan of these user-created shaders that always blow out the saturation and contrast to turn it into a scene out of a Michael Bay movie. The video above with Freestyle off looks way better to me.

I feel like I recognize the voice actress for Failsafe from Destiny 2 as the computer voice when you get one of nano abilities unlocked.

I also am fairly certain the voice of Claptrap from Borderlands is a voice of at least one of the enemies.

Interesting. I think I read that Claptrap's voice actor didn't sign on for Borderlands 3 over a payment dispute or something like that. (can't remember the details) Funny if he's in this game. :D

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
This is a fun game had to start over cause I wiped with Windows 1903. It's way better than Rage I I mean all the customized stuff you can do with the Ark Addons is basically like Metroid Prime I'm having more fun than the new Doom anyway. I changed the FOV to over 100+ and no more nausea. Also playing with a controller the Ark addons would be a problem for me with a mouse and keyboard not sure how they would be mapped out without me forgetting about them I mean Overdrive is left and right bumpers.
Screenshot_2019-05-30_07_15_04.png
Screenshot_2019-05-30_07_19_02.png

Just started playing this now that I have a decent gaming mouse again. Feels like there are like like 10 abilities that all require their own button. Is there some way to streamline that? I'm trying to avoid having to use 1/2 my keyboard for basic things.

Just started playing this now that I have a decent gaming mouse again. Feels like there are like like 10 abilities that all require their own button. Is there some way to streamline that? I'm trying to avoid having to use 1/2 my keyboard for basic things.

Yeah I would use a controller mouse and keyboard is possible but you will forget which is which.

Yeah I would use a controller mouse and keyboard is possible but you will forget which is which.

I literally bought this game to break in my new mouse :p
Makes me remember why I have a love/hate relationship with KB/M gaming. I love mice, but haaaaaate keyboard gaming.

I still haven't had time to start this yet. I got as far as installing it. :D Hopefully this weekend. Had about 60 people at the house last weekend on the only day I could have played it, and I got shall we say, partied out... :wacky:

Drunk in the Future this game needs a gamma slider since Nvidia's control panel isn't working very well. Basically too bright outside inside it's ok.
Screenshot_2019-05-30_13_15_44.png

Last edited:
LOL, I was starting to think this game was especially ugly for a new game and then discovered why. I'd changed the DPI settings for the Bethesda launcher to keep it from looking so damned blurry. Apparently that affects anything launched within, so it was actually rendering the game at 1080p the whole time.
Fixing that makes the game look quite a bit better. Probably still a bit ugly for a 2019 release, but far closer to what I expected.

Graphics are good in some areas, not superb in others. Overall a price nice looking game that runs very well. Combat was fun but the story was really short. You'll spend half your time doing side quests which weren't that great. I spent around 18 or so hours in the game though and overall enjoyed it. I think this game would've been better as not an open world game. It just didn't have the lore or interesting exploration to go with it.

I regret getting the game, honestly. I lost interest very fast. The combat while you are in it is above average. The issue is that the rest of the game around it is pretty poor. You can tell that id worked on tweaking the combat mechanics, and the rest of the game was poorly craft around it by Avalanche. After this game i'm never buying an Avalanche game again. Between this and Just Cause 4 they have proved they are a fairly poorly managed dev at this point, and it's obvious they are taking too many projects on at once. This is a similar problem to other studio's. They need to just take on one project and execute it correctly rather than quantity over quality.

I regret getting the game, honestly. I lost interest very fast. The combat while you are in it is above average. The issue is that the rest of the game around it is pretty poor. You can tell that id worked on tweaking the combat mechanics, and the rest of the game was poorly craft around it by Avalanche. After this game i'm never buying an Avalanche game again. Between this and Just Cause 4 they have proved they are a fairly poorly managed dev at this point, and it's obvious they are taking too many projects on at once. This is a similar problem to other studio's. They need to just take on one project and execute it correctly rather than quantity over quality.

You have to go out of your way to get some abilities, but it makes up for it. Story is pretty bad and it focuses too much on an open world. Would've been better if they had more story missions and a better developed story in the first place. Being open world didn't do them any favors though. This is still miles better than JC4, which was a game that was half finished and then "released". That thing resembles an alpha build at best even with 6 months of updates.

I'm having fun with the game so far, but I tend to agree that the open world concept doesn't really fit. It's mostly just a waste of time between shootouts. KB/M driving is absolute trash, too. I eventually just gave up and started using a pad whenever I stepped into a vehicle. I'd say that even with a pad, the driving has regressed since the first game.
Gunplay and powers are satisfying, though. I appreciate the speed of the shootouts and the variety of the weapons.
So far the toughest fight I've had has been with one of those armored monoliths in the swamp area. In fact, the other monoliths are probably 2, 3, and 4. While you can cheese them a little, their unforgiving as hell and take a lot of rounds to kill.

I'm having fun with the game so far, but I tend to agree that the open world concept doesn't really fit. It's mostly just a waste of time between shootouts. KB/M driving is absolute trash, too. I eventually just gave up and started using a pad whenever I stepped into a vehicle. I'd say that even with a pad, the driving has regressed since the first game.
Gunplay and powers are satisfying, though. I appreciate the speed of the shootouts and the variety of the weapons.
So far the toughest fight I've had has been with one of those armored monoliths in the swamp area. In fact, the other monoliths are probably 2, 3, and 4. While you can cheese them a little, their unforgiving as hell and take a lot of rounds to kill.

What variety in guns? I only have a pistol (mostly useless) an AR and a shotgun (and the BFG). I'm not ver far in the game but I did unlock all 3 skilltrees and done a bunc of sidequests. I have probably not bee looking in the right places or they might be further in the game, but so far I'm surprised I did not find more of them.

What variety in guns? I only have a pistol (mostly useless) an AR and a shotgun (and the BFG). I'm not ver far in the game but I did unlock all 3 skilltrees and done a bunc of sidequests. I have probably not bee looking in the right places or they might be further in the game, but so far I'm surprised I did not find more of them.

Look up a guide, you find the rest in arks. Some are out of the way which is dumb. There is a beam weapon, a high charged "sniper rifle" beam weapon, a revolver that shoots explosives that you manually detonate and a missile launcher. You can choose different upgrade paths for them but in general you won't get enough to get every option so choose the ones you think you'll use.

I prioritized the Ark missions, so I've been going after those specifically. They either give you abilities or new weapons. I have to agree that the pistol is mostly useless. Since you start the game with the assault rifle, it seems like it's only there when you're out of ammo. It's otherwise only marginally better than the shotgun at absolute max range. With no MP, it's not even secretly good at PvP.

While the gun combat is still tons of fun, I'm noticing a pretty large discrepancy in the effectiveness of various guns. About 1/2 of them are there for fun or specific situations only. That's even leveled-up all that way. Since the game is SP-only, I'd like to see them boost the damage of the pistol, settler pistol, grave-needle, and flame revolver. As of now, they're mostly only for when you're out of ammo or for very specific enemy groupings.

Another odd thing I've noticed is that hip firing with the assault rifle seems about 3x as likely to give you a headshot kill vs. actually using them aim function. It almost feels like a math error somewhere.

While the gun combat is still tons of fun, I'm noticing a pretty large discrepancy in the effectiveness of various guns. About 1/2 of them are there for fun or specific situations only. That's even leveled-up all that way. Since the game is SP-only, I'd like to see them boost the damage of the pistol, settler pistol, grave-needle, and flame revolver. As of now, they're mostly only for when you're out of ammo or for very specific enemy groupings.

Another odd thing I've noticed is that hip firing with the assault rifle seems about 3x as likely to give you a headshot kill vs. actually using them aim function. It almost feels like a math error somewhere.

You playing on Hard?

I just got the last two weapons (the Hyper Cannon and Pulse Cannon) and find them underpowered as well. It just seems like concentrated hip fire from the assault rifle > all of the other guns except the rockets. The shotgun is also pretty useful and the needle is at least okay at getting armored foes off of you. Everything else just feels weak.

I just got the last two weapons (the Hyper Cannon and Pulse Cannon) and find them underpowered as well. It just seems like concentrated hip fire from the assault rifle > all of the other guns except the rockets. The shotgun is also pretty useful and the needle is at least okay at getting armored foes off of you. Everything else just feels weak.
Are you upgrading your stats in Wellspring? I dumped all I could into weapon power and the pulse cannon is mega over powered. I could have set the game to an easier difficulty, I can't remember if it asked, but I typically play on normal difficulty.

Are you upgrading your stats in Wellspring? I dumped all I could into weapon power and the pulse cannon is mega over powered. I could have set the game to an easier difficulty, I can't remember if it asked, but I typically play on normal difficulty.

Hmmmm. Maybe? I bought some of those items that boost your health 5% - is that the same place?

Hmmmm. Maybe? I bought some of those items that boost your health 5% - is that the same place?
Yeah, those are the ones. If you explore, you can find little places that have vending machines that sell the required items for those 5% boosts. Might as well buy that stuff up and max your stats, I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

...and just like that the game is over. It's like deja vu with the original Rage. With such a large open world I think I expected more from the story missions. I decided to go ahead and do the story missions for the 3 characters. The next thing I knew I had enacted Project Dagger and killed off the final boss in maybe 2-3 hours. I get that there's a lot left in the world, but I wish they incorporated that into the actual story. If you want to it seems like you could blow through this game in only a few hours.
I never did feel any other weapons were as strong as the assault rifle, and no enemies were as tough as those security monolith. Especially the level 8 and 9 ones that throw the kitchen sink at you.

Not sure I'll bother playing any more. If I do it'll probably only be the racing sections and only with a pad. The KB/M driving controls are just plain horrendous, so I mostly avoided them.

...and just like that the game is over. It's like deja vu with the original Rage. With such a large open world I think I expected more from the story missions. I decided to go ahead and do the story missions for the 3 characters. The next thing I knew I had enacted Project Dagger and killed off the final boss in maybe 2-3 hours. I get that there's a lot left in the world, but I wish they incorporated that into the actual story. If you want to it seems like you could blow through this game in only a few hours.
I never did feel any other weapons were as strong as the assault rifle, and no enemies were as tough as those security monolith. Especially the level 8 and 9 ones that throw the kitchen sink at you.

Not sure I'll bother playing any more. If I do it'll probably only be the racing sections and only with a pad. The KB/M driving controls are just plain horrendous, so I mostly avoided them.

Yeah I just finished it too, did a bunch of side missions out of curiosity b4 doing the main ones and some in between, mostly those that were close by, this game has less story then tetris. I get they wanted to incorporate an open world but even the story missions take only a couple minutes to do.

The original game was miles and miles better then this one.

Probably going to uninstall it soon. I finished it and I think that's that. Like I said I had a hefty discount and some birthday money so I don't feel too bad about it but ain' no way I would pay anywhere near full price for this. It's too bad. It could have been more. Bring on Doom Eternal.

Between this, Just Cause 4, and Mad Max was a decent game but didn't light the world on fire for me... Avalanche is no longer a "sure bet" in my eyes. Wait and see.

It's weird because I feel like they should have learned from Rage 1. It ended about as suddenly as any game since Fable 2 and this game does the same thing.
They took to time to make a pretty large world yet they made it almost completely disconnected from the game storyline. Don't even get me started on how out of left field the racing stuff is. That was one of the strong points of the original.
My theory is that one team probably built the groundwork for the game (shooting, enemies, arks, abilities, weapons, etc.) and another team tacked the story on top of it in a hurry.

There is DLC on the way, but I have no motivation to play it...or much of anything else in the game. Without a reason why you're doing anything, it's tough to care about the size of the game. At that point you're just straight up killing people just to do it.

I'd say they're 0-2 with the Rage franchise. Both have some strong redeeming features, but both also feel straight-up incomplete.

Lucky for me, I haven't found the time to play this yet. With some luck, the DLC will fill in some gaps, give some more to do, now that they have the opinions of players and reviewers. I'll just keep this on the backburner for now, and play it when I find out if this is the case. Either way I'm sure it will be fun enough, but if I get the bonus of some refinement and more to do, all the better.

I vaguely recall, didn't the Rage 1 DLC round it out nicely? I remember playing the game years after release, after it had been patched and all DLC was bundled into the Steam purchase -- played it through with all the DLC in one shot. Enjoyed it.

I vaguely recall, didn't the Rage 1 DLC round it out nicely? I remember playing the game years after release, after it had been patched and all DLC was bundled into the Steam purchase -- played it through with all the DLC in one shot. Enjoyed it.

I think I recall something like that, too. I dunno. I played through it pretty close to launch and the DLC wasn't around at the time. I honestly liked what was there of Rage. I did everything I could find to do in the shipping version of the game and even re-did a lot of the racing and arena stuff. The main thing I recall was that I completed the first area and thought I was simply going to the next big area. Instead, it was the endgame area and that was it. Instead of 3-4 areas there were 2...and the 2nd one was abbreviated. The final battle was basically just a large group of normal enemies and the ending seemed to come out of nowhere.
That was in the era where id seemed to lose their game-centric staff. They were tech-focused instead. If someone just added more content, Rage was a pretty good game.

Probably going to uninstall it soon. I finished it and I think that's that. Like I said I had a hefty discount and some birthday money so I don't feel too bad about it but ain' no way I would pay anywhere near full price for this. It's too bad. It could have been more. Bring on Doom Eternal.

Between this, Just Cause 4, and Mad Max was a decent game but didn't light the world on fire for me... Avalanche is no longer a "sure bet" in my eyes. Wait and see.
I got Rage 2 from CDKeys pretty cheap. Worth it IMO, but it needed a bit more variety and clearly more main / longer missions.

It looks like most of the upcoming DLC is going to be free, so I'll be waiting for it. Hopefully they add new map areas, weapons, etc.

Yes, it really did. It was kind of a Gordon/Alyx sorta deal where this dreaded blonde led you around on missions. It was a decent length, the combat was excellent, and the new environments added some variety. That’s kind of what I’m hoping for with RAGE 2. If I can play it all in one contiguous block, I’ll be happy.

I got Rage 2 from CDKeys pretty cheap. Worth it IMO, but it needed a bit more variety and clearly more main / longer missions.

It looks like most of the upcoming DLC is going to be free, so I'll be waiting for it. Hopefully they add new map areas, weapons, etc.

Right. I like it and all but... yeah. It's like others have said. It just needed a bit more of...everything. ;) We'll see what the DLC brings.

I think I recall something like that, too. I dunno. I played through it pretty close to launch and the DLC wasn't around at the time. I honestly liked what was there of Rage. I did everything I could find to do in the shipping version of the game and even re-did a lot of the racing and arena stuff. The main thing I recall was that I completed the first area and thought I was simply going to the next big area. Instead, it was the endgame area and that was it. Instead of 3-4 areas there were 2...and the 2nd one was abbreviated. The final battle was basically just a large group of normal enemies and the ending seemed to come out of nowhere.
That was in the era where id seemed to lose their game-centric staff. They were tech-focused instead. If someone just added more content, Rage was a pretty good game.

According to steam I have spent 73 hours on Rage 1, must have played trough it 5-6 times the DLC was good but iirc it had little to do with the main story, more like some side missions with a different faction in some reused locations mostly.

It is true though that when I went to the new ciity I was thinking I had a lot more coming then what we got in the end, I thought we had done like 25 or 50% of the game while it was more like 80%, that was a bummer, but what was there was good, can't say the same for Rage 2.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
With Rage 2, I do feel like the shooting and movement mechanics are well done. I like most of the abilities, and I liked at least 4 of the weapons quite a bit. I guess my main gripe is that they don't really give you much motivation for essentially being a serial killer. There's a paper thin reason for you to go around and murder literally everyone who isn't living in one of 3 cities.
The only technical issue I have is with the KB/M driving. I get that keyboards can't do analog, but Rage 2 makes the gas and brake pedals 100% slammed or nothing at all. You're constantly spinning out no matter what. Most games incorporate some level of gradual acceleration and braking to make up for no analogs, but Rage 2 didn't bother.

I think Avalanche would have been better served to pick either one game or another: Just Cause 4 or Rage 2. Not both. Because I'm wondering if they both suffered at the expense of the other.

This guy is funny lol I like that his knees are all bloody from a car accident. I can finally play this game with my Nvidia setting Gamma enabled have to exit the game and just enter again.

Screenshot_2019-07-04_09_49_13.png

Last edited:
Back