Rage 2

In this game you play as Walker, the last Ranger.

walker_texas_ranger.jpg

I've been replaying Doom over the last week and when playing last night @ 4K maxed out and admiring some of the gun textures and environments all-the-while playing at a smooth 60FPS I said to myself "Man, they should make every game with ID Tech 6.

Amen to that. Except I hated the 60 fps at 4k (DSR) and opted for almost constant 120+ 1080 cause I only have a 1070.

It's funny because even though many games, especially multiplayer, do render at 120 and beyond but still feel sluggish. Not the case with id tech.

The industry can't move to Vulkan fast enough. Fuck drivers. Let's see who has the better GPU and who has the better engine. This time for reals

Amen to that. Except I hated the 60 fps at 4k (DSR) and opted for almost constant 120+ 1080 cause I only have a 1070.

It's funny because even though many games, especially multiplayer, do render at 120 and beyond but still feel sluggish. Not the case with id tech.

The industry can't move to Vulkan fast enough. Fuck drivers. Let's see who has the better GPU and who has the better engine. This time for reals

No drivers is a terrifying thought. Drivers are what make some games work as well as they do. Nvidia and AMD have to find ways to fix some of the horribly messy code in games. Drivers not being a thing means we're left to the whims of underpaid, overworked, stressed out, time crunched, developers.

id Tech is a good engine...CryEngine is better though...Frostbite is also great if they can work out the bugs

So we're supposed to base expectations for this sequel not on its predecessor, but on a completely different (legendary) game series? Suddenly, being skeptical of a sequel to a game that bombed makes everyone "edgelords" - get that pre-order money ready! I'd say "wait and see" is totally justified.
Never said anything but everyone, or preorders. But I know lots of people that never even played RAGE feel a need to crap on it 'cuz bandwagon.

I'm basing my expectations on the most recent work of the studios involved, not the launch state of RAGE. And id Software knocked it out the park with DOOM2016, while Avalanche created a sleeper hit in Mad Max. On those basis I'm willing to take the brave and unorthodox step of giving them benefit of doubt and actually being excited for a new game.

The cynicism is justified with many games and studios in the era of mtx and lootboxen, but when it's the default position whenever a game is announced then it's just childish and boring and hard to take seriously.

Last edited:
Meh, my exitement got already tempered since they are going to use the apex engine iso id tech 6.

Rage 2 gameplay trailer looks decent, actually. I saw some mech-looking things in there too. We'll see.....

Meh, my exitement got already tempered since they are going to use the apex engine iso id tech 6.

whelp. never mind.

I was excited for this, but you can usually tell when ID doesn't have trust in something, they usually don't let it use their TECH 6 Engine

I have enjoy the first for the time I have play. I'm sure the sequel will be very good.

After seeing the teaser gameplay video, I'm way less interested.
Rage was dark and drab and sought to have combat in claustrophobic environments and used that to reinforce mystery (exploration), scare tactics, and twitch gameplay.
This promo is basically the opposite of all that. Just tons of enemies all in a field "hanging out" (like Serious Sam or just some other arena shooter). Trying to make it funny and colorful. And no emphasis on trying to tell story.

This is basically the exact opposite direction I would have wanted them to take. Basically it seems like this is a game getting positioned to be a Bethesda version of Borderlands. I don't really appreciate that. I'd rather they would have stuck to their guns and kept it dark and gritty while extending the world and the story.

Last edited:
You can see the Doom style in there with more fast paced action and movements. The previous allowed for some of that but also allowed for some stealth. I hope this allows for some variety to it. What was shown looks fun but I really hope they have not left the original behind as they set up for some very interesting things to just leave them hanging. I hope for more diversity and options instead of cookie cutter bases and game-play. We'll see.

I still have not gotten through more than 5 minutes of Doom, audio is hosed. I know its a documented bug and issue but drivers and such have not fixed it so it sits collecting dust :( I hope this does not have the same issues.

I still have not gotten through more than 5 minutes of Doom, audio is hosed. I know its a documented bug and issue but drivers and such have not fixed it so it sits collecting dust :( I hope this does not have the same issues.

Seeing it uses a different engine I doubt it will suffer the same issues.

What caught my interest was when a dude played skeet with some poor bastard shot out of a cannon. Sounds like my kind of game. :LOL:

Reactions: DPI
like this
Looks are one thing, let's hope the gameplay is there too, I trust id to get shooting right, these guys? not so sure.

id typically consults or works closely with the people that they contract out to. (Raven, Machine, etc.) Even when the games have been a bit of a departure from their previous iterations, they always nail the combat and shooting aspects. I would expect the same here. It will have an Avalanche skew to the game, but I expect the overall aesthetic, gunplay, etc. to be 95% id at least. id consulted for Bethesda on Fallout 4 to help them improve their shooting mechanics, and it seemed to have a positive effect in that department. (as another, different example)

As a big fan of the original ***ducks*** this one looks improved in just about every way. I can't wait to play it. The original was fun as is, and the expansion mission was a nice addition. Despite the initial flaws it was a pretty solid id-style shooter. This one just looks over the top in the best way possible. I like the melee and the weird powers they added in. It's an id game, so why not? :D Looks like if RAGE and Borderlands were mixed, ditched the cell shading, and gave it a little added grit. So... Perfect I guess?

As a big fan of the original ***ducks*** this one looks improved in just about every way. I can't wait to play it. The original was fun as is, and the expansion mission was a nice addition. Despite the initial flaws it was a pretty solid id-style shooter. This one just looks over the top in the best way possible. I like the melee and the weird powers they added in. It's an id game, so why not? :D Looks like if RAGE and Borderlands were mixed, ditched the cell shading, and gave it a little added grit. So... Perfect I guess?

I hope so, I hope they don't mess up the gunplay id is know for.

I hope so, I hope they don't mess up the gunplay id is know for.

I seriously doubt that they will. id tends to keep their fingers in the projects that they're putting their name on, even if other studios did the bulk of the work. I'm not worried. Let's just hope I'm not wrong. :D

RAGE 2: Eden Assault – Extended Gameplay trailer...

looks really good...the graphics look amazing with gorgeous use of color...gameplay also looks much improved...

I like that it looks like it was based on real life stuff unlike the newest doom game which I was distanced from feels alot like borderlands 3.

Given the mess that Just Cause 4 is i'm worried about this game.

Love the song and trailer but am very dubious about how it will turn out. I really liked the story that they started with Rage 1, but it never got anywhere.... The fighting became reallly repetitive and bad and the driving aspect was poo with repeatable triggers and no real ability to "go off road". Based on the map the driving in this looks to be very similar but time will tell. I'm interested, but very wary.

Great trailer though.

Looks like the game will only be available through BethNet launcher. Unless they just haven't rolled out the Steam store page yet.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Given the mess that Just Cause 4 is i'm worried about this game.
Just Cause 4 was made by the New York studio. This is being made by the home studio in Stockholm. Just Cause 4 was also made for Square Enix, who are one of the worst when it comes to pushing games out before they're ready. There is a reason IO Interactive went private.

Back