Radeon 6000 series speculation

Are they releasing a "mid-range" version as well soon or only the 3800/3900 like Nvidia? I want to build a new computer but I always buy mid-range (I usually buy from past generation but fuck it, I'm 37 now I can afford to pay for current gen lol)

Are they releasing a "mid-range" version as well soon or only the 3800/3900 like Nvidia? I want to build a new computer but I always buy mid-range (I usually buy from past generation but fuck it, I'm 37 now I can afford to pay for current gen lol)

No idea. I would guess not until sometime in 2021, but you never know.

If that's the case, I'm sure it will be? AMD isn't going to sell a drastically lower performing card, for the same money.

The 3 performance numbers shown by AMD being from the 6800xt and not the 6900xt, was only a rumor.

The numbers shown are roughly twice as good as a 5700xt, whatever the card is.
For $400-$500 it will be a big improvement over the 5700xt that’s for sure. At the same time is it gonna be worth getting it instead of the rtx3070 is the question. I feel like $400 then yeah it’s worth it, at $500 I’ll be going nvidia if I can get a card

If they are aiming to take advantage of the Nvidia launch fiasco, then it would make sense for them to release at least the high end to mid range cards. I think (based on rumors) that would include the 6900XT, 6800XT, 6800XL, and 6700XT... with 80, 72, 64, 40 CU's respectively. I really want the 6800XT and hope I can get my hands on one within the next few weeks, then I'll sell my 3080.

I’ve got a funny feeling we’re about to see a shit load of nvidia cards available in the US. The 3070 launch and Radeon launch coming up it makes sense for nvidia to try to snatch up money when they can.

I’d get the 6800xt from amazon if they have it. If the drivers are shit I’ll send it back

The 6800xt is only 50-55% faster then the 5700xt? If that’s the case this card is gonna have to be a good bit cheaper than the 3080 at launch.

He is wrong about that though. Not sure why he is sticking to it. May be rather be under then over I guess.

He said 6800xt was what AMd showed. Which was already close to 3080. Which is faster then 10-15%. But he has been adamant about that 15% though since few months back. I think that rumor has been because AMd was artificially limiting the performcnae in drivers so real numbers don’t leak to public.

I’ve got a funny feeling we’re about to see a shit load of nvidia cards available in the US. The 3070 launch and Radeon launch coming up it makes sense for nvidia to try to snatch up money when they can.

I’d get the 6800xt from amazon if they have it. If the drivers are shit I’ll send it back

Well. the rumors have it retailers can’t really get the orders filled for 3070 still for the quantities they requested. So not really as good as one can hope.

CapFrameX
@CapFrameX
Firestrike Ultra

Big Navi: 11500
RTX 3080: 10600

Attachments

• 172216AE-12AE-48E5-9AE2-FCEFC09144A5.jpeg
    172216AE-12AE-48E5-9AE2-FCEFC09144A5.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 8C70DCC0-3954-4785-8DD8-6536957B5CE5.jpeg
    8C70DCC0-3954-4785-8DD8-6536957B5CE5.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
He is wrong about that though. Not sure why he is sticking to it. May be rather be under then over I guess.

He said 6800xt was what AMd showed. Which was already close to 3080. Which is faster then 10-15%. But he has been adamant about that 15% though since few months back. I think that rumor has been because AMd was artificially limiting the performcnae in drivers so real numbers don’t leak to public.
He just won't off that. His insistence on the 10-15% uptake is interesting because it flys in the face of all the evidence we have, I mean the 40CU version is probably close to 30% better minimum just from new process, higher frequency and IPC gains. So the version that has 80% more cores is 20% faster that makes no sense. It would be a complete fail and nothing suggests at this point that Big Navi will be a complete fail. I will be surprised if they don't compete with the 3800 with the 6800xt and the 3090 with the 6900xt. I mean NVIDIA cancelling their cards really only makes sense if the either crush Big Navi, which we kind of know is not true or if the higher memory versions will be even less competitive which is likely.

But he will not give up the 10-15% thing. Hope he's wrong. I might not even buy Big Navi in the end, but I want true competition.

He just won't off that. His insistence on the 10-15% uptake is interesting because it flys in the face of all the evidence we have, I mean the 40CU version is probably close to 30% better minimum just from new process, higher frequency and IPC gains. So the version that has 80% more cores is 20% faster that makes no sense. It would be a complete fail and nothing suggests at this point that Big Navi will be a complete fail. I will be surprised if they don't compete with the 3800 with the 6800xt and the 3090 with the 6900xt. I mean NVIDIA cancelling their cards really only makes sense if the either crush Big Navi, which we kind of know is not true or if the higher memory versions will be even less competitive which is likely.

But he will not give up the 10-15% thing. Hope he's wrong. I might not even buy Big Navi in the end, but I want true competition.

If the double memory versions were canceled, I think it has more to do with the Samsung process than anything else. I think you'll see a "Super" refresh on TSMC with double memory and the current cards will fade out of stock.

Reactions: kac77
like this
If the double memory versions were canceled, I think it has more to do with the Samsung process than anything else. I think you'll see a "Super" refresh on TSMC with double memory and the current cards will fade out of stock.
Yes completely agree that they will do that but also prompted by the level of AMD cards. I wouldn't even be surprised if they bring a touch of Hopper technology into them and call it the 4000 series

Yes completely agree that they will do that but also prompted by the level of AMD cards. I wouldn't even be surprised if they bring a touch of Hopper technology into them and call it the 4000 series
I believe the latest rumors for Hopper say it will be released next year. We might go back to yearly GPU releases since AMD appears to be competitive again.

Might also be why the 20GB variant was cancelled. Could skip a refresh and go straight into Hopper next year.

Any guesses on when we’ll be able to order the new Radeon cards? Is it gonna be after the event like the day of, a month later?

I believe the latest rumors for Hopper say it will be released next year. We might go back to yearly GPU releases since AMD appears to be competitive again.

Might also be why the 20GB variant was cancelled. Could skip a refresh and go straight into Hopper next year.
Yes that would make sense. Next Gen will be interesting. I could see RDNA3 if say it was based on 20CU chiplets just being a monster

Any guesses on when we’ll be able to order the new Radeon cards? Is it gonna be after the event like the day of, a month later?
They said they'd ship before the consoles so for that to remain true it would need to be very shortly after

They said they'd ship before the consoles so for that to remain true it would need to be very shortly after
I hope so. At this point I’ll take what I can get card wise. If it’s amd then so be it. If I get burned with issues like the 5700xt I’m gonna be pissed.

Yes that would make sense. Next Gen will be interesting. I could see RDNA3 if say it was based on 20CU chiplets just being a monster
honestly, I think we will see chipley GPUs by summer 2021 and Nvidia will have their pants down.

honestly, I think we will see chipley GPUs by summer 2021 and Nvidia will have their pants down.
I hope not. I don’t want it to be a yearly release schedule. Every other year makes it easier for me to justify to the wife lol

I hope not. I don’t want it to be a yearly release schedule. Every other year makes it easier for me to justify to the wife lol
Just upgrade every two years then. In that same time frame you’ll get two generations of a performance increase instead of one.

You really don't have to upgrade every year if you do it every two years you know? lol. It actually is a better strategy. Just because something is released doens't mean you need to upgrade. But I understand if you can't control the itch though.

You really don't have to upgrade every year if you do it every two years you know? lol. It actually is a better strategy. Just because something is released doens't mean you need to upgrade. But I understand if you can't control the itch though.
It's the itch for sure. I've swapped so many parts and now I'm happy with my rig other than needing a gpu. Running a 10700k at 5.2 ghz, 2tb ssd, 1440p 144hz monitor with a rx 580 8gb card at the moment. I'm grateful that I'm at a point in life now where things are good and I can spend good money on pc parts and not have to eat ramen for a week

re: Chiplets- from what I can piece together (may be old news to some but...), apparently TSMC(?) has been working on a new interposer that cuts the size down from the entire footprint of all the chips combined+ to just a small strip for wide Infinity Fabric (or NVLink or whatever) bus which in theory could make it more trivial to connect multiple large dies (or many smaller dies). It sounds like AMD (and NV?) may be waiting for that then they're gonna go ham. I'm expecting a I/O & Cache die + Compute die sort of arrangement for RX7000.

bringing it tenuously back on RX6000 topic... I guess it's theoretically possible AMD could surprise with a silly dual-Navi21-on-a-colossal-interposer-stitched together-with-Infinity-Fabric monstrosity. But where's the hardware support for making that appear as a single GPU for game engines? It would have to be very explicitly targeted at rendering & compute which seemingly would go against the explicit gaming focus of RDNA- remember that CDNA is coming soon too and little is known what that will look like. RDNA1 was the first AMD/ATI GPU arch since R100 to not have any desktop "Pro" cards released, and the first since R500 to not have a dual-GPU card- I don't think either of those things are coincidences.

Just upgrade every two years then. In that same time frame you’ll get two generations of a performance increase instead of one.
Wait three years, then buy the year two gen and get the two gen boost half price!

Is this wccftech? Well yes and no.
Yes they are reporting and no its not thier claim.

So with salt, I stand vindicated in front of all you nay saying anti -Amd people.

According to leaked benches the 6800xt is laying waste to 3080 on early drivers too! Apparently benches leaked by an AIB partner which adds more bite to the authenticity factor.

Just like some of us, as w we have been called - fanbois, have claimed BigNavi is much stronger where it count most, raster perf, it turns out true.

Well eat your heart out were only 5 days from seeing 6900xt devour 3090. And RT is nV's game still but AMD is laying waste to RTX cards with out magic voodoo tricks like dlss lmao

And to think I was made fun of for supporting Dr. Su's total revamp of AMD.

Link: https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

Last edited:
So it’s lining up as I predicted several weeks ago. Equal or better rasterizing performance compared to Ampere but RT performance somewhere between Turing and Ampere. Those will be very solid cards.

Interested to see non-synthetic gaming benchmarks. RT performance is satisfactory if it is just above Turing levels. If the rasterization performance is much higher than Ampere at similar price tiers then I might give AMD a try despite my apprehension around the drivers due to bad past experiences.

Those numbers are solid for a card that’s not even the top card. Since AIBs don’t have the 6900xt I think we are really looking at amd finally competing. Heck even in raster performance and being in between Turing and ampere in ray tracing. I never thought that would be possible and they would still be behind by 20-30%. Nvidia reallt laid an egg with ampere it seems going to Samsung.

Those numbers are solid for a card that’s not even the top card. Since AIBs don’t have the 6900xt I think we are really looking at amd finally competing. Heck even in raster performance and being in between Turing and ampere in ray tracing. I never thought that would be possible and they would still be behind by 20-30%. Nvidia reallt laid an egg with ampere it seems going to Samsung.

The biggest knock on Ampere (IMO) is power draw and availability both of which might have something to do with Samsung or might not. I can't see Nvidia pricing the 3090 at $1499 if they thought AMD had an answer for it. The "$699" for the 3080 is an indication of where AMD will fall in both price/performance IMO. I'm sure Nvidia knows more about it than we do at this point.

The biggest knock on Ampere (IMO) is power draw and availability both of which might have something to do with Samsung or might not. I can't see Nvidia pricing the 3090 at $1499 if they thought AMD had an answer for it. The "$699" for the 3080 is an indication of where AMD will fall in both price/performance IMO. I'm sure Nvidia knows more about it than we do at this point.

Power draw is fine I don’t think too many people are complaining but when evga comes out with a bios to do 450w is pretty stupid lol.

I think AMD kept the leash pretty tight. Nvidia can only estimate what amd would be targeting but never be 100%. Because AMD locked performance in drivers for cards AIB had earlier but now it’s coming out. On top 6900xt is amd exclusive for now so these leaks are from AIB for 6800xt. Which leaves little more performance table even if that’s 10% like 3080 to 3090.

After these latest leaks I do now think the 6800XT was previewed at the Zen 3 reveal. I’m guessing the hierarchy in real world gaming performance will be:

6900XTX (?)
RTX 3090
6900XT
RTX 3080
6800XT

And I think all of these cards will be within 5-10% of the one above and below it. Good time for the consumer!

After these latest leaks I do now think the 6800XT was previewed at the Zen 3 reveal. I’m guessing the hierarchy in real world gaming performance will be:

6900XTX (?)
RTX 3090
6900XT
RTX 3080
6800XT

And I think all of these cards will be within 5-10% of the one above and below it. Good time for the consumer!
I hope that's the case, I can get a couple 6800xts for my nephews systems. I'm happy after undervolting my wife's and my 3080s.

I hope that's the case, I can get a couple 6800xts for my nephews systems. I'm happy after undervolting my wife's and my 3080s.
I’m hoping the 6900XT comes in around $1000 (or less). Would force Nvidia off their high horse with the 3090 and maybe even cause them to drop the price a couple hundred bucks. Since the 3080 20GB is apparently out of the picture my only step up with my EVGA 3080 is the 3090 if I decide to upgrade further. Unless I decide to ditch the 3080 altogether and try AMD again with the 6900XT.

Nice having options again at the high-end.

I’m hoping the 6900XT comes in around $1000 (or less). Would force Nvidia off their high horse with the 3090 and maybe even cause them to drop the price a couple hundred bucks. Since the 3080 20GB is apparently out of the picture my only step up with my EVGA 3080 is the 3090 if I decide to upgrade further. Unless I decide to ditch the 3080 altogether and try AMD again with the 6900XT.

Nice having options again at the high-end.

While I don't think it will be Nvidia launch bad, I think the highest end SKUs from AMD are going to be tough to come by initially. We'll see though.

This was good info to wake up too. Now let’s see if you can actually buy the 6800xt at launch

Prices and availability? Also when will reviews hit? After the 28th?

Looks very encouraging, will nab one if possible, more interested in the 6900XT if they are the candy picked bins that have the most OCing headroom. If AMD RT is not good enough, beating a 2080Ti, then Turding was a complete failure and a waste of money dealing with RT.

Back