Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's still early but I think this quote about Adobe Flash is easily quote of the day:

Flash has been, and continues to be, a scourge on the Internet, much like the Vikings were on 9th Century Europe. Flash rapes the batteries of laptops and mobile devices, pillages your CPU cycles, and murders your browser’s child processes.

Much as this is true, I don't really have the stomach to listen to the gripes of Safari users. To top it off, you get a bit of "this is why the iPad is so great" ipecac.

The author had to install a program to block Flash? :confused:

I've been saying this for years.

Flash is a problem rather than a solution.

We don't need to slow everything down with unnecessary incompatible animations, it's really just a nuisance.

Excessive use of flash when not needed has become the new animated gif. (in fact it has been this for some time)

Quit with the disparaging remarks about Vikings. They were only trying to take back what was traditionally pagan land from the invading Christians. History should remember them as the heros they were. ;)

Because HTML5 solved all the problems.. ?
As i can see it, It laggs on my laptop with nvidia graphics and I5, and it uses alot of cpu on my desktop, while flash in 1080P uses 10% cpu...
we're talking about 50-60 % cpu use vs 10... h264, really doesnt matter...

Quit whining about Flash, when I have yet to see many good solutions..
There is a few, but apple fanboys scream HTML5, and I scream incomplete!!

Yes, Flash isn't the way, but as it stands now, I'd rather have flash than other stuff that actually dont work any better at all.

Quit with the disparaging remarks about Vikings. They were only trying to take back what was traditionally pagan land from the invading Christians. History should remember them as the heros they were. ;)

The Vikings eventually became Christians anyway.

Much as this is true, I don't really have the stomach to listen to the gripes of Safari users. To top it off, you get a bit of "this is why the iPad is so great" ipecac.

The author had to install a program to block Flash? :confused:

You win just for mentioning "cac". I didn't think anyone knew what ipecac was anymore. Kudos to you sir!

You win just for mentioning "cac". I didn't think anyone knew what ipecac was anymore. Kudos to you sir!

As in the stuff used to induce vomiting. Family Guy gave a great (exaggerated) illustration of that. ;)

srangara said:
ipecac.
35b7eie.jpg

Should embed the family guy episode so we can keep the irony from dying down in this thread.

This is just silly. Flash is the bane of the universe and the thing that's SO much better is a fucking decade after the fact and not even done.

I have a question. I am not familiar with types of code, but I've heard that Flash is a resource hog many times before. What are the alternatives? Are there any other coding languages that use less resources?

Patiently waiting for someone to explain how to generate dynamically rendered animated interactive content without using CPU cycles.

Wait... Can you repeat that in comprehensible English?

Sure:

They allege flash sucks and yet the solution they hail is still vapor ware.

Got it?

Flash still sucks though, html5 vapor notwithstanding.

Wait a second. A MAC user and a NRA member? Isn't that kinda like a Pro Choice Catholic?

Back