Quakecon 09

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Just a reminder to those that are planning on going registration opens tonight at 8:30 central.

Large lan party in the DFW area sponsored primarily by id. Been going on for about 13 years now? I have been to the last 9 or 10 of that. Good times, overall good community, and its free to attend.

www.quakecon.org. Registration starts in about 90 minutes.

Servers haven't crashed yet...kinda odd. Just registered a couple minutes ago. :D

I think with the site redesign they updated some of the hardware. That was the easiest registration I have gone through. No server crashes, very little lag. Either less people are hitting the servers or they upgraded a little bit.

I registed, but there is already a waitlist for the BYOC

registered 3 mins into the registration

got spot 834!! lol

gah wish I would have seen this earlier.
It isn't too late. Just means you get in a bit later in the day at the event. It is still worth waiting a few hours in the FCFS line (that is first come, first serve). The BYOC has never completely filled up (though it is close).

can I just come and spectate? or do I absolutely have to bring a rig. I'd rather just pop in on a weekend and check out all the happenings.

I'm so excited about this! Some friends and I are making the 1000 mile drive from Wisconsin to Dallas this summer just to attend this. I went to rogcon last year and Kyle gave a talk there. Anyone know if Kyle is gonna pop in for quakecon?

can I just come and spectate? or do I absolutely have to bring a rig. I'd rather just pop in on a weekend and check out all the happenings.
Yeah. You can show up whenever you like and don't need to bring a computer.
I'm so excited about this! Some friends and I are making the 1000 mile drive from Wisconsin to Dallas this summer just to attend this. I went to rogcon last year and Kyle gave a talk there. Anyone know if Kyle is gonna pop in for quakecon?
Unlikely to be honest. He hasn't gone in a few years as far as I know.

I did this last year just to gauge what to expect. I will be attending this year in the BYOC with my wife's cousin. Looking forward to it.

From the looks of things RoGCON won't happen this year. That was my first time meeting Kyle and it was pretty cool. Kyle used to show up for QuakeCon, but hasn't shown up for a couple of years.

BYOC waiting list #720. Anybody interested in having (a) guest for that week?
Im probably moving to the DFW area come May 2010, so might be spending a few extra days afterward to see if I like the area.

Ok I might sign up then, so much easier with my laptop now to take with me.

Signed up within the first five minutes and got a spot. I haven't gone in like three years so I'm excited.

I'm in, bringing my rig.

Last year was my first quakecon and I can't wait for this year.

Dammit, I was hoping to see a thread about this in Genmay and totally missed the signups.. Ive been going 6 years in a row and this is the first time in 5 years ive had to be on the waiting list (#1013).. Dammit!

Dammit, I was hoping to see a thread about this in Genmay and totally missed the signups.. Ive been going 6 years in a row and this is the first time in 5 years ive had to be on the waiting list (#1013).. Dammit!

Hehe, I would have posted one but I dont have Gen-May hehe.

My first event was to spectate when it was in Mesquite, and I walked around one at the Adams mark. I believe I went to one there but I cant keep track. Good Hard OCP events there. Although the event with the Phantom was my favorite.

Ive moved from 720 to 712. Thats not bad for it still being so far out.
Athlon, you know you posted twice, right?

You'll get in no matter what. If you don't reach the end of the waiting-list by the time the event comes, you'll just have to wait in the first come first serve line for a bit.

Last year the seat next to me was always empty. The hall was always full of people but there's always seating available.

I will be attending this year again. I still despise the Anatole and wish it was at the Gaylord.

They Gaylord is nice, but it would be even more expensive per night than the Anatole!!!

They Gaylord is nice, but it would be even more expensive per night than the Anatole!!!

True, but there never seems to be enough food or drink at the Anatole. Plus it was nice to have Fry's 5 min. away if there happened to be a problem with your rig.

I'm hoping to come, but my case is pretty unwieldy for a BYOC event. I'll probably do it anyway.
Someone will probably help you out with it. Last year my case and monitor weighed 190lbs combined and someone was generous enough to lend me their cart to move it.

I'm hoping to come, but my case is pretty unwieldy for a BYOC event. I'll probably do it anyway.

Yeah, my firt year I brought mine I took all my stuff in on a Dolli.. They dont allow rolling it over cables so u have to stop once your in and move it by hand but it makes the long wait in line OHHH so much easier..

Its definitely something to experience if you haven't been. Last year was my last year, and it was more of what I love in one place at one time than i could have ever imagined.

You'll get in no matter what. If you don't reach the end of the waiting-list by the time the event comes, you'll just have to wait in the first come first serve line for a bit.

Yea this year will be the year I finally get to go and things aren't conflicting.... All I got to find is a ride.... anyone from Tyler, Texas going?

I registerd 3 mins into registration and was already the 834th to register. lol

I called most of the people that I knew once I had gotten myself registered to make sure that they were all in before the 3000 cut off.

Yeah, my firt year I brought mine I took all my stuff in on a Dolli.. They dont allow rolling it over cables so u have to stop once your in and move it by hand but it makes the long wait in line OHHH so much easier..

My first Quakecon (04 I believe) I took a 21" Trinitron and a Full tower steel case.

Never again.

Last edited:
I took my 24" LG and Silverstone case to ROGCon last year. It was the first year of ROGCon and the turnout is nowhere near as high as QuakeCon. I was contemplating taking my current rig (WC'd Mountain Mod Extended Ascension), but am having second thoughts on the idea. I'm sure I'll flip back and forth on the idea a few more times before the day actually arrives. My alternative is to take my Asus G71V-Q1. I may (really depends on funds) build an SFF and get a 22" LCD for LAN'ing.

Back