Project: Stargate SG-1

This project is coming along really well. I'm a big fan of the show, and a big fan of your project as well.

Its looking really good Sobek. maybe you can come over to my house and help me out with my mod.

Small update, pics will be posted later on.

I coated the styrofoam balls with Bondo. I also turned the drive cages over adn added the first layer of gold to the side I couln't get yesterday.
I sanded the case with 400 grit in prep for the first layer of paint. I taped up most of the case where I want it to be black. The rest will get the first layer of gold paint tomorrow.

now I know you want to get that raised look to the glyphs but have you though of just painting them on and creating a shadow effect? it might be a little easier to get the effect you are looking for rather than trying to go the 3d route...either way I think it will be killer

gigglebyte said:
now I know you want to get that raised look to the glyphs but have you though of just painting them on and creating a shadow effect? it might be a little easier to get the effect you are looking for rather than trying to go the 3d route...either way I think it will be killer

I thought of that but I want some dimension to the case. I also don't want to see all the holes where you screw in the drives. I just recieved an email from Tailin about how he made the scales of his Red Dragon case using clay and resin. He suggested I use styrofoam instead of clay. I was going to cut a piece of plexi to fit the area I want to be covered in glyphs and details and I will cover it in styrofoam. I can carve all the details into the foam and then cover it in resin. I'll work on this after I finish the Res though.

Thanks for the link CrimandEvil. I'm going to be making the inside fan grill for the rear 80mm fan look like the Eye of Ra. I was going to make it look like the SGC logo but it wouln't fit in right since the case is supposed to look like a Goa'uld Hatac. I may still make some 120mm SGC logo fan grills for the Res case.

Actually I was think something more along the lines of a big one large enough to be the SG ring on the side of the case.

Update (w/ pics this time :) ):

Here is where I began to apply Bondo to the styrofoam balls. I learned to use less of the hardener so that I would have about 30 sec - 1 min longer to get the Bondo on the balls and smoothed out before it dried. I could feel the Bondo get warm under my latex gloved hands after it began to harden.

PVC Res 019.jpg

Left is just finished with Bondo. Right one I began sanding.

PVC Res 020.jpg

Done sanding. (No flash since it was easier to see the imperfections in this pic)

PVC Res 021.jpg

Starting to apply Bondo Spot Putty. This shit starts to dry fast as well. I found the easiest way to put it on was to just smear some from the tube onto my finger (wearing disposable latex gloves of course).

PVC Res 022.jpg

Finished applying Spot Putty.

PVC Res 023.jpg

After sanding (very dusty!) and washing all the dust off. They are still wet in this pic. They look like Jawbreakers or marbles.

PVC Res 024.jpg

I sanded the Motherboard tray, front USB port, and PSU plate. Here is the Mobo tray after the first coat of paint. Looks pretty good. I'll add another coat tomorrow.

SGCase011.jpg

I started to cut some plexi that will be the backing for whatever I decide to make the heiroglyphic walls out of. I have several sheets like this from a project I started last summer but abandoned.

SGCase012.jpg

Here it is after being cut. I used a Metal cutting jigsaw blade for my cordless Black and Decker 12V Drill/sander/jigsaw. I got this thing for $28! Works great.

SGCase013.jpg

Here is the case after I taped it up last night. I'll put the first layer of Gold paint on tomorrow.

SGCase014.jpg

I took this pic to give everyone an idea of where the plexi/heiroglyphic wall will go. I couldn't get it fully in the case because of the tape but it will fit.

SGCase015.jpg

looking very cool so far. even if you can't get the heiroglyphics it should be awesome. how're you planning to attach the balls to the rest of the res?

I have to add a little more spot putty and sand because I want them perfectly smooth. Then I'll cut them so that the PVC pipe and endcaps will fit in them. I'll probably just use hot glue to make sure the balls stick to the pipe. I'll use some bondo to hide the seams.

Dude, holy god. It's been a while since i've checked out this thread. Dude this fucking roxors my boxors. I need to catch up with my case mod. I can't let you, you know, beat me and stuff ;)

Awesome work. I like that reservoir (especially because its do it yourself, but you know i love that).

Keep it going, looking gewd.

Also, for my case mod project, refering to the hyrogliphics (spelling?) im going to physically cut them out and just run neon on the inside of the case. So they "glow out" there shape. My symbols are more "demonic" if you will, but same idea. If you can do it by hand, it would look good like that.

I've got some old case panels i'm practicing on first before i do the actual case, if you can find some do it that way first.

gclg2000, what are you doing for your project? You said heiroglyphics. What kind of theme are you doing?

Well he said "demonic" so I'm going to assume some sort of D3 case mod. :) That would be pretty damn cool with his radiator.

yes its a d3 one. I have some great idea's that i think will come together really well. It;s a long shot, but i want to rival old HL2 boy.

Can't wait to see it gclg2000. Speaking of Doom 3, guess who just went to EB and paid in full for their pre-order?! :D
I'm going to try to get as much as I can done today and Monday (Mom and my GF are both going to be here Fri-Sun so I can't get any work done). Tuesday and possibly everyday next week I don't expect to get much done since I'll be devoted to D3.

Sobek said:
Can't wait to see it gclg2000.
Me too :D
Mom and my GF are both going to be here Fri-Sun so I can't get any work done
In my experience thats a very scary thing. :( Too much talk of me as a kid and of course the embarrassing stuff.

Well me and the GF would..."hang out" there most of the time ;)
but that was sometime ago....I need a new GF now :rolleyes: lol

Update:

Worked for about 4 hours today on the project.
Here are some pics from last week I was too tired or busy to post.

Here are the drive cages, front USB, and PSU plates after the second coat of paint. They look so awesome.

SGCase016.jpg

SGCase017.jpg

Here is the case after the second coat of paint. Awesome as well!

SGCase018.jpg

I light sanded everything with 1000 grit today to get rid of any paint blobs that splattered. There weren't but a few but it still needed it. I used up the last of the second can of gold spraypaint so I will have to buy more for the hieroglyphic panels when I start on them. I will start clearcoating on Thursday after the paint has had plenty of time to cure.

I also filled in all the holes on the styrofoam balls the other day with more spot putty.
Before sanding:

PVC Res 025.jpg

After sanding (dry sanding followed with wet sanding):

PVC Res 026.jpg

I mentioned before that the base was too high and didn't match the pics I had. I corrected this today. (That same cut-off wheel I had been using last week for all the PVC cutting finally broke halfway through the cuts!)

PVC Res 027.jpg

Another pic of the base with the Res on top. I had to file down some of the inner curve to get it level.

PVC Res 028.jpg

I cut the first $0.69 Walmart Funnel for the top of the Res so that it matches the curves of the Naquada Generator. I think I'll use hot glue to make sure they stick when the time comes. They will be covered in Bondo later on (pretty much the entire Res will be). You can see where I am cutting the bottom piece in this pic.

PVC Res 029.jpg

Another shot (not as good). There are a couple of my pics that look like shit since I was trying to keep my camera clean cause I was covered in PVC dust and debris.

PVC Res 030.jpg

Here the bottom curves are in place.

PVC Res 031.jpg

A view from the side. It took a lot of time for me to get these to fit right. I really didn't want to drive back to Wallmart today to buy more funnels if I fucked up so I took my time and slowly would Dremel out a piece and then test the fit.

PVC Res 032.jpg

The base curve in place. There is supposed to be something in between the base and bottom curves. I'll cut it out of foam later on.

PVC Res 033.jpg

My neighbor didn't have a 5/8" drill bit that would fit my drill. I used my 1/4" one instead to drill the pilot hole for the barbs/ I had to take a break to get a Beer. It was hot and I was thirsty. I used a routing bit on my Dremel to make the holes wider. My first attempt had gaps between the barbs and pipe. My second had smaller gaps as well. I filled them in with Bondo but I think I will just go back to Home Depot (have to return both of those $5 2"-4" pipe fitting pieces anyways) and pick some new endcaps up (approx $0.80 each) and have someone the drill the holes for me.

PVC Res 034.jpg

Another shitty pick of the Bondo in the holes. This has got to be one of the worst pictures I have ever taken with my camera but I was in a hurry to get done and go eat.

PVC Res 035.jpg

Don't expect many updates for the next few days. Doom 3 will be occupying my free time.

Cool stuff there. I just got back from Walmart myself too (picked up some mod supplies too and a heater core :D).
I hate you guys playing D3, I have to upgrade my rig (heavily) but I don't have the cash for it (tomorrow I have to go beg for a job,lol) before D3 is even a slideshow for me. :) lol

I was just watching one of those car shows on TV (I believe it's "Overhauling") and just noticed something. They have hub caps that will spin (controlled by remote) so I was thinking that maybe you could employ something similair if you can find them (and if they're cheap) when you do the side panels.

I doubt they would be cheap and they work on a center hub which would be hard to hide if he wants the center open...

A little tip on using bondo, use less of the harnder :)

I hot weather it cures faster, so you can use less hardener and have a little more time to get things a bit smoother.

To get a real smooth finish, there is a finer grade bndo for finishing, its a bit thinner and is made for filling smallish gaps and yop coating base bondo fills.

You will find it at an auto supply house ( not wally world ) if you cant find it just swing by a local Autobody shop and ask if you can buy some.

-Robert

RobAGD said:
A little tip on using bondo, use less of the harnder :)

I hot weather it cures faster, so you can use less hardener and have a little more time to get things a bit smoother.

To get a real smooth finish, there is a finer grade bndo for finishing, its a bit thinner and is made for filling smallish gaps and yop coating base bondo fills.

You will find it at an auto supply house ( not wally world ) if you cant find it just swing by a local Autobody shop and ask if you can buy some.

-Robert

Thanks for the tips even though I already discovered using less hardener and spot putty for filling in the gaps to make it smoother.

Sorry I haven't posted the past few days. A chipmunk chewed through part of my cable line outside causing my internet and some channels to go down.

Sobek said:
Thanks for the tips even though I already discovered using less hardener and spot putty for filling in the gaps to make it smoother.

Sorry I haven't posted the past few days. A chipmunk chewed through part of my cable line outside causing my internet and some channels to go down.

I say hunt that little bastard down and intrigrate it into the case!!

WOW! I am extremely impressed so far. I love the Stargate series. I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep up the good work man!!!

looking good man. But watch out for mine, i should complete it over teh summer break before fall term starts. Looking awesome.

CrimandEvil said:

That's pretty sweet. They are also auctioning the original Naquada Generator.

I got some much better pictures of the Naquada Generator from last night's episode of Stargate SG-1. Now I can make it look even more realistic.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Too much rain from Bonnie and Charlie have kept me from working on the project. My GF is visiting as well so there is another excuse.

FYI emorphien and others, gclg2000's case is the Doom 3 one in the worklogs.

Back